price of gas will it ever go down?

[quote name='javeryh']Hopefully not. I just love paying $40 for a tank of gas.[/QUOTE]

That's what you get for driving a stupid hummer.

Get used to these gas prices. Some people say that we could hit $3-4 by the end of the year...

If that happens, we'll pretty much see the U.S. band together and try and crush the government... nah...

We'll probably hear more stories about groups of people holding gas station attendants at gunpoint while people fill up their tanks for free. Yes, sadly, that is happening more nowadays.

I hope it doesn't. Americans need to learn to conserve and drive less. It's only by upping the gas price that necessary hybrids will become commonplace. I won't be happy until gas is $5 a gallon.

I'm with Tromack. Gas prices have been very low relative to other consumer goods for 20 years. There has to be a price premium attached to driving gas guzzlers, so that people don't commute alone into work in a city driving a Land Rover.

well we do have a rediculous amount of oil stock piled but that apparently is off limits cause its American to pay close to 3 dollars for gas

while gas is a lot higher now then it was a couple years ago, what about other things that have gone up. A gallon of milk has doubled in my area over the last 5 or so years...a gallon or snapple would cost a lot more then a gallon of gas. ATM fee's for using a bank that isn't your own. While I would like for it to be cheaper, another reason for the high price is the taxes involved. I believe in MA it is somewhere between .50 and .85 a gallon in taxes.

no, because they've got us now. gas prices have been high long enough to where if prices drop to $1.90, everyone who sees it is going to think "better get some gas while the price is low" even though the cost is nearly a dollar more than it was five or so years ago.

we lose.

[quote name='Rich']We lose?

Despite having some of the cheapest gas prices in the world?[/QUOTE]
reletive to how much gas prices were not too long ago, yes, we lose.

i mean, we don't exactly have much control over the prices.

[quote name='Rich']That's what you get for driving a stupid hummer.[/QUOTE]

No....$40 isn't jack as far as gas prices. I paid $2.41 for gas the other day and it cost me $25 to fill up my COROLLA! I also had two gallons left in my tank when I filled it. Had I filled it on empty it would have cost me almost $30. I'm sure any mid-size car costs $40 to fill up, easy. A Hummer would probably take you over the $75 mark. I think it's ludicrous that it costs me $25 to fill up one of the smallest cars on the road.

[quote name='Rich']That's what you get for driving a stupid hummer.[/QUOTE]

My toyota camry costs about 40 or 45 to fill up at 2.31 a gallon.

Though I agree with tromack, I've been saying for years I want gas to hit $5. Sure, it will make things much harder for me (and all the day trips of 100-200 miles I take), but it's what's best in the end.

I was watching international news couple days ago and it was saying that more oil is being pumped out than before.

So where is it all going?

[quote name='bil4l']No....$40 isn't jack as far as gas prices. I paid $2.41 for gas the other day and it cost me $25 to fill up my COROLLA! I also had two gallons left in my tank when I filled it. Had I filled it on empty it would have cost me almost $30. I'm sure any mid-size car costs $40 to fill up, easy. A Hummer would probably take you over the $75 mark. I think it's ludicrous that it costs me $25 to fill up one of the smallest cars on the road.[/QUOTE]

My Sunfire has never cost me more than $30 to fill up. And the Hummer was exaggeration; any car that requires $40+ to fill up isn't a car you should be driving.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']My toyota camry costs about 40 or 45 to fill up at 2.31 a gallon.

Though I agree with tromack, I've been saying for years I want gas to hit $5. Sure, it will make things much harder for me (and all the day trips of 100-200 miles I take), but it's what's best in the end.[/QUOTE]

How often do you have to fill it? Must be a huge fucking tank.

reletive to how much gas prices were not too long ago, yes, we lose.

i mean, we don't exactly have much control over the prices.

And relative to everyone else in the world right now, no, we don't lose.

[quote name='thatstoobad']no, because they've got us now. gas prices have been high long enough to where if prices drop to $1.90, everyone who sees it is going to think "better get some gas while the price is low" even though the cost is nearly a dollar more than it was five or so years ago.

we lose.[/QUOTE]

i already do that wehn it drops to 2.25. funny, but not ha ha funny

[quote name='Rich']
How often do you have to fill it? Must be a huge fucking tank.[/quote]

I normally don't, put in 10 or 15 at a time. I've had to go to a vet 4 times this week that takes about an hour to get to. I'd say I went about 125 miles each day, and I put in 10 bucks and by the time I get home I'm back where I started.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well we do have a rediculous amount of oil stock piled but that apparently is off limits cause its American to pay close to 3 dollars for gas[/QUOTE]

You do understand that in a country like Japan they pay more than twice what we pay. We are lucky to pay 3 bucks for a gallon of gas. They pay more than 3 bucks for a liter of gas.

I filled my LHS up today, for the first time in a while, and it cost $30.50 at 2.08/gallon. I was quite surprised to say the least. I guess I was on fumes as I pulled into the station.

[quote name='Tromack']I hope it doesn't. Americans need to learn to conserve and drive less. It's only by upping the gas price that necessary hybrids will become commonplace. I won't be happy until gas is $5 a gallon.[/QUOTE]

Why do you want americans to drive less?

[quote name='Tromack']You do understand that in a country like Japan they pay more than twice what we pay. We are lucky to pay 3 bucks for a gallon of gas. They pay more than 3 bucks for a liter of gas.[/QUOTE]

You also understand that Japan is a country that is 1% as large as the US in terms of square miles.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']Why do you want americans to drive less?[/QUOTE]

The less reliant on the ME, the better. And the environment might thank us, as well.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']You also understand that Japan is a country that is 1% as large as the US in terms of square miles.[/QUOTE]

This is avoidign the point. Our gas prices are extremely cheap in comparison to EVERYWHERE.

Yes, the prices will probably go down a bit once fall comes, like usual...

But, with a fairly active hurricane season, don't be surprised if prices go over $2.50 before then.

As for next year... who knows. The crude oil prices were supposed to be starting to stagnate, but that hasn't really happened yet.

We waste a lot of gas as people. I mean how hard is it to walk the down the street to get the bread or milk. My friend needed some oil or something from his car. He lives 3 house's (about 75 feet) from a Autozone. He asked me if I was ready we went out the front door and I started walking toward the store. He asks me what I am doing. I said going to the store. No man we going to drive. Yea WTF and before anyone asks my friend is skinny and in shape not a lazy big person likes one self.

[quote name='Graystone']We waste a lot of gas as people. I mean how hard is it to walk the down the street to get the bread or milk. My friend needed some oil or something from his car. He lives 3 house's (about 75 feet) from a Autozone. He asked me if I was ready we went out the front door and I started walking toward the store. He asks me what I am doing. I said going to the store. No man we going to drive. Yea WTF and before anyone asks my friend is skinny and in shape not a lazy big person likes one self.[/QUOTE]

I have a strange sort of laziness. I once walked 2 hours through buffalo cause I was too lazy to wait for the bus (my car had broken down while driving around on my way home to boston). Another time I walked an hour to college cause I was too lazy to look for my lost car key. I've also got up to change the channel for days cause I didn't feel like looking for the remote. I've had to get up to change the volume for the past 2 or 3 weeks cause I lost the audio remote, and I haven't got around to really look for it.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']You also understand that Japan is a country that is 1% as large as the US in terms of square miles.[/QUOTE]

You obviously understand nothing, so it's no point even debating you.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I have a strange sort of laziness. I once walked 2 hours through buffalo cause I was too lazy to wait for the bus (my car had broken down while driving around on my way home to boston). Another time I walked an hour to college cause I was too lazy to look for my lost car key. I've also got up to change the channel for days cause I didn't feel like looking for the remote. I've had to get up to change the volume for the past 2 or 3 weeks cause I lost the audio remote, and I haven't got around to really look for it.[/QUOTE]

Well, this is off topic, but I understand. Waiting can be hard, and even though it would save more time in the long run to wait, often it feels more productive not to.

[quote name='Tromack']You obviously understand nothing, so it's no point even debating you.[/QUOTE]

ItBTN

[quote name='alonzo']I have a strange sort of laziness. I once walked 2 hours through buffalo cause I was too lazy to wait for the bus (my car had broken down while driving around on my way home to boston). Another time I walked an hour to college cause I was too lazy to look for my lost car key. I've also got up to change the channel for days cause I didn't feel like looking for the remote. I've had to get up to change the volume for the past 2 or 3 weeks cause I lost the audio remote, and I haven't got around to really look for it.[/quote]

:lol:

Alonzo: So lazy, he's unlazy!

[quote name='Tromack']I hope it doesn't. Americans need to learn to conserve and drive less. It's only by upping the gas price that necessary hybrids will become commonplace. I won't be happy until gas is $5 a gallon.[/QUOTE]

the rise in consumption is not what is playing a big role in the rise in the prices. Its the speculators converging on the market.

[quote name='Tromack']You do understand that in a country like Japan they pay more than twice what we pay. We are lucky to pay 3 bucks for a gallon of gas. They pay more than 3 bucks for a liter of gas.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...transportation in most overseas countries (at least in Europe) is also better then ours, and the countries are generally smaller then most American states. I live in New Mexico, everything is extremely spread out and our public transportation system is less then desirable, therefore it's hard to be paying such high gas prices, even in a 4 cylinder car. My girlfriend lives 15 miles away and doesn't have a car, so it adds up QUICK!

[quote name='bil4l']Yeah...transportation in most overseas countries (at least in Europe) is also better then ours, and the countries are generally smaller then most American states. I live in New Mexico, everything is extremely spread out and our public transportation system is less then desirable, therefore it's hard to be paying such high gas prices, even in a 4 cylinder car. My girlfriend lives 15 miles away and doesn't have a car, so it adds up QUICK![/QUOTE]

So what's your reasoning for NYC, which has one of the best metros in the country and we pay 2.50+?

[quote name='Rich']So what's your reasoning for NYC, which has one of the best metros in the country and we pay 2.50+?[/QUOTE]

What percentage of the American population live in the entire state of New York?

I did the math for you...It's just over 6%, leaving 94% of America that doesn't live in NY...and hey, I DON'T live there either. The people living the 49 other states also don't live there . In general, public transportation in America is severely lacking considering how much land mass America takes up. Also, New York is extremely small compared to the states that more then double it in square miles. What about Texas? The public transportation SUCKS and it's second in population....

Well considering I don't have much of a choice, outside of finding a new job, I have to travel back and forth for 44 minutes a day (light to medium traffic) so I hope gas goes down. But what I think my area lacks is a good bus system and what not, public transporation could be so much better, and cheaper.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well considering I don't have much of a choice, outside of finding a new job, I have to travel back and forth for 44 minutes a day (light to medium traffic) so I hope gas goes down. But what I think my area lacks is a good bus system and what not, public transporation could be so much better, and cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for proving my point. Sure NYC may have a fantastic public transportation system, and Chicago's is pretty good as well, but there are many large cities in which the public transportation is years behind NYC and Chi-town. Not all of us are fortunate enough to live in a city that has good sub systems and buses that come on time.

I do agree that these giant road hog suvs need to get the shaq-fu off the road though. I always see these enormous Excursions and Suburbans with one person in them. It's absolutely stupid. I did read an article in the paper the other day saying SUV sales are WAY down, which is definitely an improvement. As soon as the gas prices drop again, a natural increase in SUV sales will occur.

The US has a deep-rooted automobile culture- sprawling suburbs, 2 car households, the freeway, etc. We need overriding changes- developing and promoting public transport systems in cities besides NYC and DC as well as better city planning. Eventually we need to change our cultural preference so that we prefer to ride the bus or the subway instead of driving. I live in a city of less than 200,000- small by city standards, and yet the rush hour traffic is just as bad as in big cities. We can't keep putting more and bigger cars on the road. Something's gotta give.

I'm hoping gas prices go up to the average of other countries. Get people to use their cars less. People like me who have no cars appreciate it...

[quote name='mbstuff']The US has a deep-rooted automobile culture- sprawling suburbs, 2 car households, the freeway, etc. We need overriding changes- developing and promoting public transport systems in cities besides NYC and DC as well as better city planning. Eventually we need to change our cultural preference so that we prefer to ride the bus or the subway instead of driving. I live in a city of less than 200,000- small by city standards, and yet the rush hour traffic is just as bad as in big cities. We can't keep putting more and bigger cars on the road. Something's gotta give.[/QUOTE]

Suburbia is too prevalent in the US for this to ever take root.

[quote name='bil4l']I do agree that these giant road hog suvs need to get the shaq-fu off the road though. I always see these enormous Excursions and Suburbans with one person in them. It's absolutely stupid. I did read an article in the paper the other day saying SUV sales are WAY down, which is definitely an improvement. As soon as the gas prices drop again, a natural increase in SUV sales will occur.[/QUOTE]

The only reason those SUV sales are down are because the loophole that allowed certain 'smart people' (like me) to deduct the total cost of the vehicle for the year was closed in 2004. Now it's only a partial deduction. Not as good as it was before but still decent enough if you've already got it. But right now I'm considering selling it since I'm weighing a gas price vs. tax deduction ratio. If it's less than one, I'll probably keep it but if not, then at the end of this year I'll trade it in or sell it.

More info:

http://www.selfemployedweb.com/suv-tax-loophole-changes.htm

bread's done
Back