Pricematching hassles

Caro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
SO I pricematched games at FS today for trade 6 tomorrow, and I had such a hard time... eventually the manager came over and told me he would price match the 2 lower priced games so I agreed. DO they not pricematch with amazon/dell/etc? is it up to the store is it in the policy? help me out, I want to be able to price match instead of waiting for shipping. :bomb:

With Amazon they use the "next-day-shipping" excuse, which will tack on about $11 (unless it's over $39.) They'll also use the "online-only retailer" excuse.

Dell is a lot easier: as long as it's in stock, print out your cart (which shows free shipping), then mention the kiosks in malls everywhere.

I tried to price match Dell at BestBuy in Kingston and they said no problem but we have to charge you for shipping cause it has to be immediately available. She said don't worry, it's only one dollar. And then she rang it up without adding any extra dollar to the item's cost. It was weird.

It all depends on you (I just posted this in the EB Game Days thread) and Firestorm is right it is up to the individual associate to PM or not, usually vet associates will do it (since what's $10 when we get your repeat business in the future right?) but we still have to keep FS's best interests in mind (we stayed in their employ for a reason) so if the deal is too crazy (game or blu-ray at like 80% off) then we check it out, make sure it's in stock etc etc.

Also if you look like a hoarder or someone from RFD (like buying up 6 copies of Fantastic Four 2 last month solely for the purpose of trading them in) associates do their best not to give it to you.

Every single time I've tried to get a price match at Futureshop they give me the hardest time. I guess it works for them because I won't even bother anymore, and try to avoid FS whenever I can.

Any time I've tried to get them to match a price, even if I hand them a current flyer from another store, they will get this pained look on their face and retreat back to the service counter and call up the manager or supervisor from the back. They huddle up for some serious looking back and forth for literally 5-10 minutes before they come back and if you're lucky they may say yes, if not they will come up with some loophole and say no, then act surprised when you don't buy the item at their price. I really hate shopping there and try not to. This is a location at Laird + Eglinton in Toronto, maybe it's different at other stores. That place just has extremely terrible customer service and has even sold me used items as new ones at full price, then blamed me when I came back to return it.

[quote name='kathos']It all depends on you (I just posted this in the EB Game Days thread) and Firestorm is right it is up to the individual associate to PM or not, usually vet associates will do it (since what's $10 when we get your repeat business in the future right?) but we still have to keep FS's best interests in mind (we stayed in their employ for a reason) so if the deal is too crazy (game or blu-ray at like 80% off) then we check it out, make sure it's in stock etc etc.

Also if you look like a hoarder or someone from RFD (like buying up 6 copies of Fantastic Four 2 last month solely for the purpose of trading them in) associates do their best not to give it to you.[/quote]

thank-you

I pricematched a game today and I was even saying "I know you don't pricematch with amazon. do you?" and the associate was like "no problem" the time I got denied I had two copies of a game I wanted to trade in to bbv.

moral of the story: don't be greedy

In my experience, they will PM pretty much any store.

Last week I was able to PM Planet Earth HD DVD with the discovery.ca webiste. That was from their price of $90 down to $30!!

Not to mention, i got the BBC version... the discovery version is usually considered 'inferior' with less footage and sigourney weaver as the narrator.

[quote name='EggViper']In my experience, they will PM pretty much any store.

Last week I was able to PM Planet Earth HD DVD with the discovery.ca webiste. That was from their price of $90 down to $30!!

Not to mention, i got the BBC version... the discovery version is usually considered 'inferior' with less footage and sigourney weaver as the narrator.[/quote]

you BASTARD lol
I bought it from Discovery.com for $40 after shipping and it was the Discovery one :(

As a sales associate at Sears, my thinking is this: I have no issue price matching and am happy to do so if possible since I like saving people money. But obviously if it's a huge ticket item, I don't want to get in trouble, so I'll ask a manager or something for authorization beforehand. We have to staple the proof, so always bring proof (print-out, flyer).

I don't know why Future Shop employees try and get out of it all the time though... it's really weird for some items which are hardly anything. I hate the manager at Surrey Central... he wouldn't even uphold his 10% thing but I was too tired to fight it.

[quote name='Caro']thank-you

I pricematched a game today and I was even saying "I know you don't pricematch with amazon. do you?" and the associate was like "no problem" the time I got denied I had two copies of a game I wanted to trade in to bbv.

moral of the story: don't be greedy[/quote]

Yes, finally a consumer that sees logic! Greedy dicks never get PMs from us at my place (in any department) :D but some guy who's looking to save $15 on a copy of Army of Two is no problem with me.

Call it cruel but I like seeing a mouth breathing RFD trying to PM twelve Okamis for $8.99 (we all remember with CDPlus) and cause a fuss when he sees the AoT guy get $15 off instantly with no checking at all.

Futureshop employees do all they can to avoid price match because it damages their numbers, which causes them to lose money. I don't know how kind-hearted you guys are, but I'm not gonna give up any of my paycheck to save some guy I don't know a few bucks.

[quote name='ShinigamiDuo']Futureshop employees do all they can to avoid price match because it damages their numbers, which causes them to lose money. I don't know how kind-hearted you guys are, but I'm not gonna give up any of my paycheck to save some guy I don't know a few bucks.[/quote]

You're telling me that Future Shop takes the difference in price match from the associate's paycheque? That sounds like a bunch of crap.

[quote name='ShinigamiDuo']Futureshop employees do all they can to avoid price match because it damages their numbers, which causes them to lose money. I don't know how kind-hearted you guys are, but I'm not gonna give up any of my paycheck to save some guy I don't know a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

lol wtf ever. I've worked @ fshop and TSCC before (both commission sales). The xtra few dollars in GP make little difference when you look at lost business (most people price matching aren't hoarders but genuine customers).

I know this for a fact b/c we weren't allowed to PM at TSCC. Oh the headaches of going through a 20min sales pitch only to have the customer walk away cause we couldn't PM competitors (and I'm not just talking same products, but laptops or other things with very similar specs).

Thats one thing I hated about working at TSCC, no PM and the inability to "sweeten the deal" (like throwing in some cables with $2 cost and loosing a $1000 HDTV sale with a much bigger margin).

i've had rotten luck getting cashiers to price match at Futureshop. maybe i've been unlucky and gotten the most anal-retentive ones, but most of the time i end up waiting 20-30 minutes while the cashier tries to call whatever store it is and confirm the price, even after i bring in a flyer.

now, whenever i pricematch at Futureshop, i just pay for the item flatout, then come back later with the flyer and receipt and ask the customer service people to price match. i've had good luck this way so far, but i don't know how eager they would be to match an online price such as Dell.

[quote name='ShinigamiDuo']Futureshop employees do all they can to avoid price match because it damages their numbers, which causes them to lose money. I don't know how kind-hearted you guys are, but I'm not gonna give up any of my paycheck to save some guy I don't know a few bucks.[/quote]

I figured I'd chip in since I have a bit of experience at Future Shop. In a nutshell, Sales Associate are not commission-based AT ALL, so there is no money for them to lose in a price-matching situation. Product Experts, on the other hand, make a buck off of each sale, be it a $20 printer or a $2000 laptop. If you come in and PM a product, the Product Expert will still receive a commission, but it will be lower than if you had not PM'd. The knobs at FS who try to refuse a PM are the one's who have been brainwashed by their Managers that PMing is a bad thing. It's quite possible that when you PM a game or something of very little profit, FS is losing money. The SA/PE doesn't care, as nothing is coming out of their pocket, but the Manager certainly does, which is most likely where the resistance is coming from. If a particular store consistently sells products at a loss, its the Manager that gets fired/transfered, not the bloke who did the PM in the first place. Anywho, I'm new to the forum so I'd thought I'd chip in, it's great to see a community that's not focused on hoarding games like on RFD, and who genuinely want to help each other, like goomba and his amerifriend program.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I figured I'd chip in since I have a bit of experience at Future Shop. In a nutshell... [/quote]

Please stop with the shit, please? It's filling up the room.

I'll set the record straight right now (even if it is to an audience of a few dozen Canadians, that post anyway).

There's two seperate sections in a FS store; Operations (cashier/customer service/tech lab/entertainment; videogames/DVDs) and Sales (everyone else), Operations employees are not in a commission position, a per-hour a pay deal. The Sales guys are.

They don't just make "a buck" per sale. Every item has its own amount of commission it gives out, and our suppliers give out incentives to sell/know their product (it evens out to be the same).

Price Matching does affect numbers, but nothing too crazy and nothing that would matter in the long run. And EggViper hit the nail on the head with his reply; PM for a few dollars (or a few dozen on larger items) is HUGE when compared to the potentially lost business. To my older customers and non-hoarding RDFers I have absolutely no problem PM-ing, yes it slightly affect my department's numbers, but I'd rather have them come back to shop at my store than somewhere else. Yes my department's videogames and such have low profit but you know what? It's ok. 'Cause that customer who saved $10 on a game might come back to my Futureshop to buy something else. And hopefully he'll be a longtime customer and makes us his one-stop shop.

And managers don't "brain wash" anyone and they don't lose money there either. If they've been brainwashing me then they've screwed in one single fact in my brain; the customer comes first. The manager won't get fired or transferred for price matching, that's ridiculous, you're putting PM-ing on the top of the list next to eating people and inciting a lynching. Promotions are based on job performance is based on customer service and commitment to the company, sales (if you were even in sales) is a mid-distant third.

The company has those policies and the fine print for a reason; to prevent hoarding and to prevent being taken advantage of. FS is there to make money just like everyone other business, yes, but what's a few bucks here and there when it might result in repeat business from you?

Any employee from a good FS with a good team will tell you the exact same thing.

If you don't know what goes on don't speak of it. I'd rather fellow CAGers not go to FS because their local FS sucks pure shit (probly in the bottom 50 in the company) than because some guy said something in a forum, because you're dragging MY name through the mud too when you do it.

Gah.

Ok I'm done, sorry about that guys. I may be in an entry level retail position while studying for my master's at Rye, but doesn't mean I have no pride.

Wow i was totally unaware of the discovery.ca deal, i'm getting that tomorrow for sure. even if they just price match, i would be happy, i've been eyeing up that for a while. Thanks eggviper!

In my pricematching experiences i've never been turned down except for "blowout sales" and its basically ymmv in that, as i went to another town and they did it. I recently price matched a 59.99 game for 19.99 (08 the life nba on ps3) and the manager just said as long as it was one copy, i also got God of war CoO for 19.99 after the sale, because they left a sticker on.

Never really had a bad experience with them anyway.

[quote name='kathos']Please stop with the shit, please? It's filling up the room.

I'll set the record straight right now (even if it is to an audience of a few dozen Canadians, that post anyway).

There's two seperate sections in a FS store; Operations (cashier/customer service/tech lab/entertainment; videogames/DVDs) and Sales (everyone else), Operations employees are not in a commission position, a per-hour a pay deal. The Sales guys are.

They don't just make "a buck" per sale. Every item has its own amount of commission it gives out, and our suppliers give out incentives to sell/know their product (it evens out to be the same).

Price Matching does affect numbers, but nothing too crazy and nothing that would matter in the long run. And EggViper hit the nail on the head with his reply; PM for a few dollars (or a few dozen on larger items) is HUGE when compared to the potentially lost business. To my older customers and non-hoarding RDFers I have absolutely no problem PM-ing, yes it slightly affect my department's numbers, but I'd rather have them come back to shop at my store than somewhere else. Yes my department's videogames and such have low profit but you know what? It's ok. 'Cause that customer who saved $10 on a game might come back to my Futureshop to buy something else. And hopefully he'll be a longtime customer and makes us his one-stop shop.

And managers don't "brain wash" anyone and they don't lose money there either. If they've been brainwashing me then they've screwed in one single fact in my brain; the customer comes first. The manager won't get fired or transferred for price matching, that's ridiculous, you're putting PM-ing on the top of the list next to eating people and inciting a lynching. Promotions are based on job performance is based on customer service and commitment to the company, sales (if you were even in sales) is a mid-distant third.

The company has those policies and the fine print for a reason; to prevent hoarding and to prevent being taken advantage of. FS is there to make money just like everyone other business, yes, but what's a few bucks here and there when it might result in repeat business from you?

Any employee from a good FS with a good team will tell you the exact same thing.

If you don't know what goes on don't speak of it. I'd rather fellow CAGers not go to FS because their local FS sucks pure shit (probly in the bottom 50 in the company) than because some guy said something in a forum, because you're dragging MY name through the mud too when you do it.

Gah.

Ok I'm done, sorry about that guys. I may be in an entry level retail position while studying for my master's at Rye, but doesn't mean I have no pride.[/quote]

Whoa, take a chill pill dude. I have worked in a Future Shop before, so I do have some knowledge about the in's and out's of the company. I think you have taken wayy too many things I said out of context. For instance,

1) By "a buck," I meant "money," not a single loonie.
2) Obviously PMing certain items makes a more significant impact than others. If a customer walks in with a Tiger Direct ad advertising the Logitech Z-5500 speakers for $199.99, and FS has them for $499.99, how is there not a significant loss there?
3) I never said a manager would be transfered solely for price matching. That's ridiculous. Price matching is a way in which a store can lose money, and any manager would try and limit the ways their store can lose money.
4) By "brainwashing" I was referring to numerous other aspects of Future Shop, i.e. Product Service Plans, set-up services, and yes, price matching. Why do you hear so many stories about people being denied standard price matching policies? I doubt every single person that is denied is a hoarder.

Obviously we have different experiences working at Future Shop. At my particular location, sales mattered the utmost, with pleasing the customer next in line, no question. I worked at the Future Shop at Empress Walk, so perhaps that lays out a better idea for you. I have never had problems price matching with Future Shop, and they continue to have my business. I am of the thought that there are some rotten employees at Future Shop that try their hardest to deny PMs for no reason, and there are great employees (such as yourself) who are in it to help the customer, which is rare from the experiences you read on the web.

Gah, Empress Walk!?!?! Good God! That place is terrible!

And you know what the worst part is?

Empress Walk IS in the bottom 50 ~_~.

Yeah sorry 'bout the freak out XD I have too much work pep. You need to godamn word your posts better though =\.

bread's done
Back