Prince Of Persia - Gen. Discussion & Info

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Features

Prince of Persia is set in a land rooted in ancient Persian mythology, with the Prince finding himself caught in an epic battle between the primal forces of light and darkness—the God of Light, Ormazd versus his brother Ahriman, the destructive God of Darkness. The Prince arrives just in time to witness the destruction of the legendary Tree of Life, an act which threatens to plunge the entire world into eternal darkness.
Manifested in the form of the Corruption, a dark substance that physically contaminates the land and the skies, the Prince must partner with Elika, a deadly companion, to heal the world from the evil Corruption.

• A new hero: Master the acrobatics, strategy and fighting tactics of the most agile warrior of all time. Grip fall down the face of a building, perform perfectly timed acrobatic combinations, swing over canyons, buildings, and anything that is reachable. This new rogue warrior must utilize all of his new skills along with a whole new combat system to battle Ahriman's corrupted lieutenants to heal the land from the dark Corruption and restore the light.
  • An epic journey: Escape to experience the new fantasy world of ancient Persia. Masterful storytelling and sprawling environments deliver action-adventure fans an experience that rivals even the best Hollywood movies.
  • Open-world structure: A first for the Prince of Persia franchise—now you have the freedom to determine how the game evolves in this non-linear adventure. Unfold the storyline by choosing your path in the open-ended world.
  • Deadly new ally: History's greatest ally is revealed in the form of Elika, a dynamic A.I. companion who joins the Prince in his fight to save the world. Gifted with magical powers, she interacts with you in combat, acrobatics, and puzzle-solving enabling the Prince to reach new heights of deadly high-flying artistry through special duo acrobatic moves or devastating fighting combo attacks.
  • Next-gen engine: The franchise’s debut on next-generation consoles utilizes Ubisoft’s proprietary Anvil engine, the same engine used to develop Assassins Creed™.
Achievements: (coming soon)

And screens...

http://forums.g4tv.com/thread.jspa?messageID=13282620

Looks bloody brilliant if you ask me. This game needs to come out right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy this if they just remade SoT with the pretty new graphics and added some more cleavage to the princess.

I don't usually like cel shaded graphics much, but these look great. I like it when it's stylyzed like this or Okami. Don't care for it much in something like Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass when it just looks like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Hopefully it focus's more on puzzles and platforming like the Sands of Time and less on combat like the sequels (especially WW).

Looks pretty freaking cool. Never did play a Prince of Persia game and would very much like to. Games like it tend to be a lot of fun.

Is this the same team that does Assassin's Creed? I thought they'd launch directly into a sequel, did the first game do well?

I'm not sure if it's the same people who did Assassin's Creed. I'm hoping it isn't as I didn't care much for Assassin's Creed at all. I loved PoP1 & 3 though (even 2 wasn't bad. Just not as good and rather stupid, but still well designed gameplay-wise). The only thing that makes me at all worried is that Ubisoft really hasn't done much noteworthy since Sands of Time other than Two Thrones. I loved Beyond Good & Evil though, so they've made a good Zelda/Okami like game before and will likely do so again. Based on all I've seen, this is now rivaling RE5 and Brutal Legend as my most anticipated game of the year.

Spaz you gotta get on that Sands of Time bro.. that game is like sex for your joystick hands. I don't think i've ever fallen in love with a game as fast as I fell in love with PoP. I was sold. COMPLETLY sold when I played a PS2 Demo disc that included the original PoP for free. every aspect of the game is just pure fun. Of all the games in my mediocre-modest collection that one I'm most looking forward to replaying when I finish my backlog is PoP:Sot.

Those screens are awesome looking. I never really got into the new PoP games like I did the original one on PC but maybe this will change my mind.

[quote name='Littlefields']Why is everything being cel-shaded nowadays? Looks different no doubt. But it looks promising, can't wait to hear more.[/quote]
Very few games are cel-shaded nowadays.

[quote name='Strell']If those were all coming out in the same year, you'd have a point. Most of them are fighters, rpgs, or music related, a lot of them originating from Japan.

The ratio is overwhelmingly in non-cel-shaded favor.[/quote]
Japan or not, you gotta admit that there are more games coming out that are cel-shaded than before. Previously, cartoon games were usually the only cel-shaded games out there. But now shooters, action/adventure games are now following this type of style. Not to say that it looks bad, but it's definitely a style that's catching on.

[quote name='Littlefields']Japan or not, you gotta admit that there are more games coming out that are cel-shaded than before. Previously, cartoon games were usually the only cel-shaded games out there. But now shooters, action/adventure games are now following this type of style. Not to say that it looks bad, but it's definitely a style that's catching on.[/QUOTE]

I feel quite the opposite actually. A friend of mine hates cel-shading and thinks it's just a passing phase, and I think he's unfortunately right about the latter. It was popular during the PS2 era, but fewer and fewer games seem to be using it nowadays as next-gen consoles are so powerful and they all seem to be racing each other to come up with games that look the most "real." Aside from RPGs like Eternal Sonata I can't think of any other action or adventure game on a next-gen console to employ cel-shading other than Crackdown. Which is a shame as it looks so beautiful and ages so gracefully.

Edit: Okay, so there's the upcoming Battlefield game being cel-shaded, but really, what else?

I don't like to look at it as a passing fad. My hope is that it's a niche design. Most games don't use cell-shading and i'm ok with that. I don't want most games cell-shaded. I want a few games to use it and use it well.

Cel-shaded Prince of Persia does nothing for me, I very much liked the look of the previous games so I don't see a reason for the switch.

[quote name='coolsteel']Cel-shaded Prince of Persia does nothing for me, I very much liked the look of the previous games so I don't see a reason for the switch.[/QUOTE]

This is a completely new story, not connected to the previous trilogy. It's a good way to distinguish it and it fits in great with the story.

I loved the previous games and hope this one will turn out well too.

I have enjoyed cell shaded games so far...I liked the look of crackdown and zelda WW. IMO, those images for the game look like shit.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I feel quite the opposite actually. A friend of mine hates cel-shading and thinks it's just a passing phase, and I think he's unfortunately right about the latter. It was popular during the PS2 era, but fewer and fewer games seem to be using it nowadays as next-gen consoles are so powerful and they all seem to be racing each other to come up with games that look the most "real." Aside from RPGs like Eternal Sonata I can't think of any other action or adventure game on a next-gen console to employ cel-shading other than Crackdown. Which is a shame as it looks so beautiful and ages so gracefully.

Edit: Okay, so there's the upcoming Battlefield game being cel-shaded, but really, what else?[/quote]
TF2 is a big one. Some may say Battlefield switched to the cel-shaded design trying to somewhat imitate TF2. The Simpsons game, but I admit it's hard to have a Simpsons game not cel-shaded on a next-gen console. The new Naruto game is cel-shaded too I believe. Since you say it like that, I do realize I may have looked at it too drastically. But maybe it's because I've been a long time fan of Battlefield, seeing it turn cel-shaded really pisses me off. And now seeing a new Prince of Persia game turning cel-shaded kind of makes me sad. Of course this release could end up being amazing but it's really different from the original franchise.

Looks awesome. As long as it plays awesome (which I'm assuming it will) I'll be grabbing it for sure when it comes out.

[quote name='javeryh']I would buy this if they just remade SoT with the pretty new graphics and added some more cleavage to the princess.[/quote]

I agree, a remake of Sands of Time would be great. Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen.

That sucks that they are using FMVs for cutscenes (is it still 1997?). I would hope they would have showed off the new, awesome cel-shaded graphics.

Game looks fucking phenomenal. This should rock people as much as Sands of Time did. The gameplay mechanics look original enough for me and that new sidekick chick is badass. Odd visual style for her (she looks like a gypsy) but what I don't get is how you can slide all over with those claws and she follows you. So if she can follow you with bare hands after you slid down a straight drop with your claw...shouldn't we be playing as her and the Prince is HER bitch? ;)

bread's done
Back