Private Messaging Capacity

.JPG

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I don't know if this issue has been addressed before, but I just wanted to make an inquiry about increasing the private messaging capacity. The reason is because I like to keep a lot of my trade information online, and while I know you can save the PM's offline, it's a lot easier to access and be able to get to online.

Now, if this has already been discussed and doesn't seem like a good idea, than I completly understand, I'd just thought I'd point out that it would be nice to have a bigger PM box. Also, how would this effect a lot of CAG's server or online storage, such as how much more storage would it take? I'm just trying to figure out if it'd be possible and worth it to increase the capacity. If not, than that's fine. I just wanted to suggest this to see if it's ever been an option or not and/or discussed.

well, if you constantly are in the trading forum conducting business then it can fill up pretty quick....Maybe have a higher max (if server allows of course) for traders with a certain amount of feedback, such as 10 or more or 20 or more etc.

i am sitting at 146 at this very moment (about to clean up some now) and most of it i need to keep since the trades are either pending or being worked out and some are from trades gone bad:cry: (not on my part ofcourse ;) )

[quote name='Jedi1979']well, if you constantly are in the trading forum conducting business then it can fill up pretty quick....Maybe have a higher max (if server allows of course) for traders with a certain amount of feedback, such as 10 or more or 20 or more etc.

i am sitting at 146 at this very moment (about to clean up some now) and most of it i need to keep since the trades are either pending or being worked out and some are from trades gone bad:cry: (not on my part ofcourse ;) )[/quote]

I like the idea of a bigger PM box to those with bigger feedback, that way only the people that would need it would have it available.

I'm currently up to 149 and consistantly have to keep deleting PM's. I already have 2 trades in progress, so I know I'm going to expect more PM's. Also I have another trade I may be doing within the next week, and I expect it to fill up even more. 150 is honestly just not enough in my opinion. Especially to those that are trading. Honestly almost ALL of my PM's are related to trading as to work out deals and such requires multiple PM's.

[quote name='.JPG']I like the idea of a bigger PM box to those with bigger feedback, that way only the people that would need it would have it available.

I'm currently up to 149 and consistantly have to keep deleting PM's. I already have 2 trades in progress, so I know I'm going to expect more PM's. Also I have another trade I may be doing within the next week, and I expect it to fill up even more. 150 is honestly just not enough in my opinion. Especially to those that are trading. Honestly almost ALL of my PM's are related to trading as to work out deals and such requires multiple PM's.[/QUOTE]
Just download your PM's and you'll have all your trade info saved for future use.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just download your PM's and you'll have all your trade info saved for future use.[/quote]
how?

[quote name='Jedi1979']how do you go about downloading the pms anyway?[/QUOTE]
It's at the bottom of the private messages page, just above the forum jump. You can download them in a few formats.

Self-management of PM's via download is a good idea, which is why it's there, and grossly underused, unfortunately.

150 PM's is plenty, as long as people houseclean them regularly and download the important stuff.

[quote name='shrike4242']Self-management of PM's via download is a good idea, which is why it's there, and grossly underused, unfortunately.

150 PM's is plenty, as long as people houseclean them regularly and download the important stuff.[/QUOTE]
True, but what about the lazy ones? I dont feel like managing my PM's...too much work..I just delete the last page and then go out into the fields and smell flowers and eat my KFC....good times :D

[quote name='whoknows']True, but what about the lazy ones? I dont feel like managing my PM's...too much work..I just delete the last page and then go out into the fields and smell flowers and eat my KFC....good times :D[/quote]

I honestly have tried to keep deleting more and more PM's, but I keep asking people on trades all the time, not including any incoming PM's that I receive. I really think that the limit should be inrceased. What does Cheapy himself think about this?

[quote name='.JPG']I honestly have tried to keep deleting more and more PM's, but I keep asking people on trades all the time, not including any incoming PM's that I receive. I really think that the limit should be inrceased. What does Cheapy himself think about this?[/quote]
When he sees the thread, I'm sure he'll offer his opinion. Which should be anytime through the evening.

150 is plenty, if you need to be that chatty exchange phone numbers or something.

What would be cool though is if trade mail automatically went to a "trades" folder.

Trust me, 150 PM's is big enough. If you have more, you just let it fill up just the same. It's not a matter of space limitations, it's a matter of managing your messages. (I'm terrible at this too though, I'll admit.)

[quote name='shipwreck']Trust me, 150 PM's is big enough. If you have more, you just let it fill up just the same. It's not a matter of space limitations, it's a matter of managing your messages. (I'm terrible at this too though, I'll admit.)[/QUOTE]
I thought Moderators have unlimited PM space. I know some do.

[quote name='zewone']I thought Moderators have unlimited PM space. I know some do.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy, youse got some 'splaining to do!

I have a larger PM box, but it isn't unlimited. (Nor does it need to be.)

Still waiting on Cheapy's response I guess. I still don't see any problem with it, but I'd like to know how it would affect the server and would it actually take a lot of space?

[quote name='zewone']I thought Moderators have unlimited PM space. I know some do.[/quote]No they don't. Not even me.
I'll think about an increase in PM capacity, but it can't really be tied to a users trade feedback, only their forum rank.

[quote name='CheapyD']No they don't. Not even me.
I'll think about an increase in PM capacity, but it can't really be tied to a users trade feedback, only their forum rank.[/quote]

Is the trading syncronized with the forum? Because couldn't you put a rank which after a user would reach 10 trading points, it would have a new rank which increases a PM limit? If the trading isn't syncronized, than I guess it wouldn't work, but I appreciate you looking into Cheapy.

[quote name='CheapyD']No they don't. Not even me.
I'll think about an increase in PM capacity, but it can't really be tied to a users trade feedback, only their forum rank.[/QUOTE]
I think it should be tied to awesomeness, that way I can have unlimited space :D

[quote name='.JPG']Is the trading syncronized with the forum? Because couldn't you put a rank which after a user would reach 10 trading points, it would have a new rank which increases a PM limit? If the trading isn't syncronized, than I guess it wouldn't work, but I appreciate you looking into Cheapy.[/quote]
iTrader is a bolt-on for vB, and I don't think it has hooks into the ranking system.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Could we just have PMs be automatically deleted after 30 days if not saved? I think for most people that would do the trick.[/quote]

No, this is the reason why I would like a bigger PM box, so I can keep somewhat of records for my trades. Having PM's being deleted doesn't solve the problem, it makes it worse.

bread's done
Back