Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

CM Punk: "You don't know Morris Day & the Time from 'Purple Rain'?"
Cabana: "I only know them from that Kevin Smith movie."

There's your easy "describe the difference between Cabana and Punk in 5 seconds" answer.
Ha. I have no clue what they have to do with Kevin Smith. I guess I'm a CM Punk guy.

There was also Jay's diatribe outside the Quick Stop about them being the greatest band in the world. Both that bit and the credits are on YouTube, but I couldn't figure out how to embed the videos last night using the mobile links, so I deleted my post.

I thought Punk did a much better job of showing just how petty WWE was on the current podcast. His retort to Vince's apology was also appropriate.

New NJPW hype video for their next Wrestle Kingdom show. Jim Ross audio with video from Andre, Hogan, and many others. Great stuff. Compares the show to WrestleMania and Tanahashi/Okada to Rock/Austin. It's gold.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vpiQrHDSLq0[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
This made me legit laugh out loud.

http://youtu.be/knXJV9H0huo

The vocals sound like something out of some Ricky Gervais-produced "documentary."

Listening to CM Punk on Colt's podcast gave me a weird realization that CM Punk is the Dave Chappelle of professional wrestling. Though that was a damn good listen.

New NJPW hype video for their next Wrestle Kingdom show. Jim Ross audio with video from Andre, Hogan, and many others. Great stuff. Compares the show to WrestleMania and Tanahashi/Okada to Rock/Austin. It's gold.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/vpiQrHDSLq0[/youtube]
I'm tempted to just stick with the streaming version for $9 a month, but goddamn does JR have me readying myself to pay for a $35 PPV.

Listening to CM Punk on Colt's podcast gave me a weird realization that CM Punk is the Dave Chappelle of professional wrestling. Though that was a damn good listen.
Well, he's now a UFC fighter. Just announced at UFC 181 tonight. This is definitely going to be interesting, haha.

Yeah, they won't waste his first fight on a prelim. That'll be a PPV fight and probably get huge numbers.

Most people said the same thing about Lesnar and he won the heavyweight title beating (granted past his prime) a Hall of Famer within a year.

I don't know if Punk can duplicate that though. Competition in middle/light heavy is really tough, tougher than heavyweight was for Lesnar.

Most people said the same thing about Lesnar and he won the heavyweight title beating (granted past his prime) a Hall of Famer within a year.

I don't know if Punk can duplicate that though. Competition in middle/light heavy is really tough, tougher than heavyweight was for Lesnar.
I know there's weight class differences but it still isn't a fair comparison because Lesnar is an absolute beast, not a skinny fat ass.

I think Punk will do ok in the UFC, nothing great but he won't be a complete flop either.  I see him ending with a record somewhere around .500, maybe 3-3 or 3-4 if he fights that long.  I don't think he will ever be able to beat a top-10 ranked fighter but that doesn't mean he will be a failure at it.  His body isn't exactly fresh at this point and he certainly isn't a spring chicken anymore so any wins against any UFC fighters should be looked at positively imo.

Nah, they'll feed him some jobbers/washed up guys before he gets to face some real competition.
Remember when they tried that with Kimbo Slice and it totally worked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0JGQXT0ts0

Remember when they tried that with Kimbo Slice and it totally worked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0JGQXT0ts0
Remember how Kimbo trained for weeks to face Shamrock and he got injured literally hours before the event and had to take on someone who you werent preparing for?

They aren't going to put him in there with anyone good or with any experience. Considering Punk has far more resources at his disposal in terms of training, not to mention the company knows he'll be a draw, I could see him winning one or two fights.

But yeah, comparing Punk to Lesnar is crazy. Lesnar was built for fighting. Punk is training to be a fighter.

-----

I had forgotten how stupid the commentary was on that Kimbo fight. That wasn't the "most incredible" of anything.

Tommy the Green Ranger
has asked to be Punk's first fight. 

Yeah, I would totally illegally stream the shit out of that fight.

Jason David Frank has been wating to fight Punk for quite sometime now. I mean dude does have a legit MMA background, and he's been practicing martial arts his whole life, so he's not full shit when it comes to his skills. I think they'd have a good fight if it ever finally happened.

I don't remember this at all.  Since there's no commentary I'm guessing it's a post-show match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8KbXThVBFI

I know Punk and Lesnar isn't the same, but I just remember how much junk was talked about Lesnar and he became legit. My big time MMA friends back then thought it was a joke and it turned out Lesnar was good. I don't think Punk is going to be that good, but I don't think he's going to be Kimbo Slice either. .500 record sounds about right.

I think Punk knew if he wanted to do it, he couldn't wait any longer and be Angle 2.0 talking about doing it at 40 plus and UFC wanting no part.

Given the UFC's PPV struggles of the last 2 years post-Lesnar, a CM Punk vs. Green Ranger fight as both fighters' UFC debuts would crush the PPV gate and probably be their biggest PPV of the year.

Remember how Kimbo trained for weeks to face Shamrock and he got injured literally hours before the event and had to take on someone who you werent preparing for?
Remember how the fight promoters asked Seth to stand and fight with him and not grapple?

They literally tried to throw him a ringer, and even that backfired. Shamrock would have probably beaten him with one punch.

The point is, if Punk loses his first MMA fight, it'll be because he legitimately lost it. I would LOVE to see them give the shot to Jason David Frank since he only has a 4-0 record or so.

Remember how the fight promoters asked Seth to stand and fight with him and not grapple?

They literally tried to throw him a ringer, and even that backfired. Shamrock would have probably beaten him with one punch.

The point is, if Punk loses his first MMA fight, it'll be because he legitimately lost it. I would LOVE to see them give the shot to Jason David Frank since he only has a 4-0 record or so.
They were exonerated bro.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=3660628

I know Punk and Lesnar isn't the same, but I just remember how much junk was talked about Lesnar and he became legit. My big time MMA friends back then thought it was a joke and it turned out Lesnar was good. I don't think Punk is going to be that good, but I don't think he's going to be Kimbo Slice either. .500 record sounds about right.

I think Punk knew if he wanted to do it, he couldn't wait any longer and be Angle 2.0 talking about doing it at 40 plus and UFC wanting no part.

Given the UFC's PPV struggles of the last 2 years post-Lesnar, a CM Punk vs. Green Ranger fight as both fighters' UFC debuts would crush the PPV gate and probably be their biggest PPV of the year.
Ehh...saying Lesnar was "good" is being a bit generous. More than anything, he was overwhelming. He was a huge guy who came out like a bat out of hell, who could also take you down. The fight with Randy Couture just happened at the right time. Couture was at the tail end of his career...and honestly, Randy never had a stellar record anyway (though he was fighting top 5 fighters almost his entire career).

But once people figured out how to stop Brock's takedowns and make him box, his lack of skill on an MMA level was totally exposed. He could still punch hard, but his technique was bad. His head movement was bad. His footwork was bad. After surviving the first 60 seconds and stuffing the takedown, he basically became an amateur.

It'll be nice when UFC shells out the cash for Brock in a few months and he starts winning again. I'll look forward to people coming up with excuses for him winning ("oh. he only soon because [insert whatever]"} and counting the days until he is "figured out" again.

Seth Green appearing with Mizdow was great - Seth is so tiny! Dolph-Rollins was nothing. Seth won, so I guess Dolph gets the IC Title, or it was just 50/50 since Dolph beat him at the PPV. Hard to believe that Dolph not only main evented the last PPV, but won the main event and saved the company from tyranny. He might get the opener if he's lucky.

New Day's dead. Charlotte got a Raw match and lost against Nattie in a three minute rematch. This was a damn fine three minute match, but a terrible use of talent. Charlotte still came off like a star though. Wyatt rambled longer than the divas match, and then DEAN RETURNED FROM A CRUSHED TRACHEA! His entrance in a smoke machine-filled ambulance was nice to look at, but really goofy and made no sense given the nature of the injury.

Rowan-Harper helped no one and didn't build up either guy's PPV match any better. Rusev-Swagger stuff was good though - Rusev's selling for the ankle lock was fantastic. AJ-Summer was nothing. Awards were blah largely. Loved RVD returning though - that was a surprise. Fandango accepting for Jericho was stupid. YAY MORE MICK AND NOELLE! She's got a real future in WWE - she's already got presence just doing this stuff. Roman won Superstar of the Year for reasons. Show-Cena was nothing. Everyone brawled. Cena jumping for the curb stomp amuses me, and I liked his selling for the announce table powerbomb.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wwe-raw-12-6-14-slammys.html

Screens - 

Raw is Noelle

Loosest sleeper ever

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/12icfnp8skiljpj6e7fwljs9jl2itudu

I got a laugh when Rollins told Seth Green to "get out of the way, kid" last night. Dude is older than Rollins by many years.

Ehh...saying Lesnar was "good" is being a bit generous. More than anything, he was overwhelming. He was a huge guy who came out like a bat out of hell, who could also take you down. The fight with Randy Couture just happened at the right time. Couture was at the tail end of his career...and honestly, Randy never had a stellar record anyway (though he was fighting top 5 fighters almost his entire career).

But once people figured out how to stop Brock's takedowns and make him box, his lack of skill on an MMA level was totally exposed. He could still punch hard, but his technique was bad. His head movement was bad. His footwork was bad. After surviving the first 60 seconds and stuffing the takedown, he basically became an amateur.
That's because in order to get that big you only focus on weights, no cardio. It's not that Lesnar didn't have any technique, it's that surviving the initial onslaught was rough because of his size and power. The thing that amazes me about Lesnar is that he's a big ass farm boy and does things on the farm. How does he not have better stamina naturally based on the nature of the life he lives when he doesn't work?

Punk will likely have the cardio, but I don't think he'll have the technique or the ability that he'd need to compete for much. Even if he wins a fight or two, they won't be able to sling shot him to a title shot like they did Lesnar. There's not much competition at his weight class, but for Punk?

You really think Punk could beat Anthony Pettis or Robbie Lawler? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA32i2MVT9E

No I don't think Punk can have the success Lesnar did as said as much b/c of the lack of competition in heavy vs. middle/LH you mentioned.

I just don't think this will be Kimbo 2.0 either. I see Punk in about 4 fights over the next two years probably going 2-2 or 1-3.

XVP0H0j.gif

Are you ready for 14 straight hours of Impact Wrestling? Then mark 1/7/15 on your calendar:

http://411mania.com/wrestling/tnas-debut-on-destination-america-revealed-show-moves-to-friday-nights/
Oooooooooookay..

So we're looking at:

Monday - Raw

Tuesday - Main Event (or is it Superstars? I don't watch either show)

Wednesday - NXT (rumored move)

Thursday - SmackDown! (confirmed move)

Friday: IMPACT

I can live with that. Friday night is a fun night for wrestling, but I haven't been able to get into SmackDown for like a decade. It's been so boring.

Anyway, hooray NXT tomorrow night!

This is the part I was referring to, for those who don't click the link:
Destination America welcomes IMPACT WRESTLING with a marathon on Wednesday, January 7 from 9 AM-9 PM ET, looking back at the biggest moments and most heated rivalries, leading into the special live broadcast from 9-11 PM ET.

Oooooooooookay..

So we're looking at:

Monday - Raw

Tuesday - Main Event (or is it Superstars? I don't watch either show)

Wednesday - NXT (rumored move)

Thursday - SmackDown! (confirmed move)

Friday: IMPACT

I can live with that. Friday night is a fun night for wrestling, but I haven't been able to get into SmackDown for like a decade. It's been so boring.

Anyway, hooray NXT tomorrow night!
Impact and NJPW's show will both be on Fridays at 9:00 EST. However, it looks like NJPW will essentially be a greatest hits show and has an initial order of 13 episodes with an option for more if they choose. I'll check it out since AXS TV is on my current tier with U-verse while Destination America (what an unwieldy name for a network) is on the next tier up. I'll have to check what the price difference is before I decide to upgrade.

I'd love to see the ratings on that marathon, since you're taking a wrestling show that no one watched and putting it on a channel that no one watches.

bread's done
Back