Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Finally watched the NXT PPV. Was thinking Prince Devitt had an overproduced entrance until all the makeup and I said "yeah, that's OK until they get sued for copying Venom". Honestly don't like Zayn (maybe I think he spent too much time under a mask and is over the top with his expressions?) until Kevin attacked him after the match (I was half expecting him to attack him and cost him the match), wish I had seen Tyson Kidd and Tyler Breeze instead of throwaway matches like Corbin (I'm anti squash match I suppose).

Then I looked at the WWE TLC PPV and though "who has the belts?" but was mainly disappointed to see Cena defeat Rollins for the #1 contendorship. Only thing I can take away other than holy shit, a lot of Wyatt family. I mean, Bray and Dean Ambrose in a main event? Seriously? Like I'm in bizarro world.

PS: I finally decided I should see some PWG at Battle of LA because where else will I see Daniels, Kazarian, Joey Ryan, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally watched the NXT PPV. Was thinking Prince Devitt had an overproduced entrance until all the makeup and I said "yeah, that's OK until they get sued for copying Venom".
He was painted as Balor, not Venom.. or at least, that's what he's been telling people

for the final time ever  brock vs cena at the rumble. Guess that means  cena wins the title back at RR.  Though for sure cena would lose. win the rumble and then the final event would be at  WM  cena vs brock but whatever.

Harper/Ziggler was dope as hell. Seeing these kind of hardcore/speciality matches much less rarely (a) makes them mean more, (b) makes the big moments and action seem much more cringe-worthy (e.g., the dive from Harper), and (c) takes a lot less wear and tear on the wrestlers. 

After that Harper/ Ziggler match, for the love of god, give those dudes the week off of wrestling.

Oh, I'm still watching it very passively at the moment. I'm pretty uninterested in Mizdow and the Usos - they could have booked this as the next Razor/HBK ladder match and I wouldn't have noticed anyway.

Eh. That wasn't the worst PPV in the world, but far from the best. Ziggler/Harper was spectacular. It felt great to see the IC title defended in a ladder match for the first time in what had to be years. I was in stitches during the tag title match thanks to Mizdow wrestling the match on the apron. The wrong guy won the stairs match as Show gained nothing with that win. Cena/Rollins was pretty good despite the constant interference from Noble and Mercury. The Divas match was a divas match. I'm bored as hell with Rusev's streak. He should have gotten pinned or made to submit months ago, especially with how they hype every single one of his PPV opponents. Ryback/Kane sure did happen, boy howdy. Wyatt/Ambrose was fun as hell, but MAN did these guys shave years off their careers with those sick spots, and that ending was straight out of a Looney Tunes short.

Let's see what RAW has to offer tonight.

Wasn't too into TLC last night. The only matches I cared for was Ziggler/Harper and Ambrose/Wyatt. Both matches were really good, but the rest felt like filler to me. 

It's really clear how much better NXT is. 

He was painted as Balor, not Venom.. or at least, that's what he's been telling people
Not Venom, Carnage. But yeah.

He was supposed to be this:
demonking.jpg

And not this:
carnage-comic-1.jpg

Let's be fair. Two solid matches on a PPV is pretty a-okay. It can't be a top to bottom fucking killer.

Besides, the opening match alone was worth the $10/month anyway.

Opening Jericho banter took 500 fucking years. At least we got Cena-Rollins in a tables match "rematch" in a cage, so not a rematch then and Heyman-Jericho set up in one of three possible no DQ matches so Brock can kill Jericho and Heyman can win. Harper and Show vs. Rowan and Dolph was okay, but man have they killed Rowan dead here. Divas tag was nothing. Highlight Reel was amusing thanks to Lana. Jericho and his literal gradeschool humor can fuck off. Team Black People Who Sure Do Love Them Some Church faced Gold and/or Stardust. CM Punk and NXT were hugely over here. WWE has actually found a way to make fans rebel against their own product with their own product. New Day won and Kofi did his best to get this over.

KANE MET WITH ADAM ROSE IN AN AMAZING SEGMENT. He doesn't approve of Rose's freaky friends AND THEIR CONSTANT NOISE! Also, Jimmy Jacobs was a rosebud and glorious too. LOVEDLOVEDLOVED Kane killing Rose and the Bunny. Loved Brock killing Jericho even more. Dug Roman taking out Fandango and Show. The steps barely budged with Show's kick, but clearly he's got about 1,000 pounds of pressure in that kick since they did move. Great stuff here. Miz-Uso was a thing. Cena-Seth was fantastic and far better than their tables match. This had some perfect nearfalls. I thought it could be over with either the AA or the case shot. Loved Brock killing Cena and Seth just being scared shitless. Cena made this whole big point about Seth couldn't pin him, HE GETS A CHANCE TO PIN HIM and doesn't take it - this annoys me. Excellent match though.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wwe-raw-12-15-14.html

Screens - 

Foolish mortal...

The Zombie Princess as a Rosebud!

RIP Bunny

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/hc8bwmor9b8zaidro6k94jrtk0i3t77a

They always have a belt at TV, so even if Brock forgot it, it wouldn't matter.

------------------

SD -

Fun show. Dug Roman killing Fandango, Rusev killing Ryback, and the main event was excellent. They pushed it as a huge deal for Dolph, a career-defining night...and the IC Title wasn't on the line. I get that Seth is far above the title in theory, but they have a legit chance to make that title into what the World Heavyweight title was at its peak - a secondary title that feels important, and they're not maximizing it. Still, Dolph's back in a major role and that is so good to see.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wwe-super-smackdown-not-quite-live-12.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/unftihaexzhd76h0n5h8leo11bgvirxc

Thanks again! I'm a big fan of several Bullet Club members as well.

Anyone else watch Impact last night? Much better than their "top moments of 2014". Never saw the TV broadcast of Bound For Glory 2009, so I wasn't aware til last night that I was actually on camera for every hard camera shot.

Thanks again! I'm a big fan of several Bullet Club members as well.

Anyone else watch Impact last night? Much better than their "top moments of 2014". Never saw the TV broadcast of Bound For Glory 2009, so I wasn't aware til last night that I was actually on camera for every hard camera shot.
No problem. I'd really like to see WWE licenses that doc for the Network, but I doubt that will happen.

I haven't watched TNA programming since the NYC shows. The company has been all over the place and when Styles and Bad Influence left the company I lost a lot of interest as well. I definitely plan on checking them out again when they debut on Destination America though.

Fun show - really dug Regal and the Vaude Villains, as well as Owens-Neville. They've Steen made Kevin Steen a viable WWE-branded main eventer immediately, and yet they can't get a goddamned soul over on the main roster - amazing.
Corrected. Steen has truckloads of charisma on his own. The kind of reaction he gets is of his own making, the only thing WWE did was give him a different audience to work.

Corrected. Steen has truckloads of charisma on his own. The kind of reaction he gets is of his own making, the only thing WWE did was give him a different audience to work.
Agree 100%. Steen is gold, we've all known this for years now. Glad to finally see his talents on a larger stage. I don't see him sticking around NXT for too long and feel like he will make his main roster debut rather soon, he is just simply too good to not be in a big program on the main roster.

Agree 100%. Steen is gold, we've all known this for years now. Glad to finally see his talents on a larger stage. I don't see him sticking around NXT for too long and feel like he will make his main roster debut rather soon, he is just simply too good to not be in a big program on the main roster.
Unless the writers and Vince get their heads out of their asses, Steen will be in Cesaro territory on the main roster.

WWE gave him a main event slot right away - that's more than they gave either KENTA or Prince Devitt.

WWE gave him a main event slot right away - that's more than they gave either KENTA or Prince Devitt.
True but why did they do that? It wasn't a random draw and he was the lucky winner. He's a proven commodity in drawing a visceral reaction from crowds, something he's been doing for years outside of WWE.

Is anybody else ordering the NJPW: Wrestle Kingdom PPV?  Never seen New Japan before but I'm looking forward to it.

Watching it with NJPW World. I would have preferred to listen to it with Ross and Striker but cant pass it up on their version of the Network.

I think the PPV price is $35. I've got NJPW World, but I definitely want the PPV so it will be worlds easier to do coverage of the show live. Plus, I can record it in HD and have it forever.

True but why did they do that? It wasn't a random draw and he was the lucky winner. He's a proven commodity in drawing a visceral reaction from crowds, something he's been doing for years outside of WWE.
KENTA had that and they didn't push him like that. Ditto Sami Zayn and Finn Balor. WWE hasn't given a prior indy darling this kind of monster push yet and they deserve credit for that.

Watched the last 2/3 of WCW Halloween Havoc '91 after a long absence due to not having an active Torch sub to watch it alongside the Wayback Playback, and then just forgetting to watch it. This whole show never really gets out of first gear - there's very little awful stuff, generally limited to BILL KAZMAIER FACING OZ, but nothing really good either. Badd-Garvin kind of overachieves given the malaise of the latter and inexperience of the former.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wcw-halloween-havoc-1991-part-2-and-3.html

Watched all of Starrcade '92 since my plan to do Survivor Series '90 went awry when my audio of the first part of the wayback playback was messed up, and I couldn't fit it on the Torch site. This was a really fun, and sometimes surreal show. BILL WATTS WAS ON-SCREEN WITH HANK AARON! Sting vs. Vader ruled, and really everything but the Muta-Chono and Battlebowl matches was at least enjoyable.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/12/wcw-starrcade-1992.html

KENTA had that and they didn't push him like that. Ditto Sami Zayn and Finn Balor. WWE hasn't given a prior indy darling this kind of monster push yet and they deserve credit for that.
The reactions KENTA and Devitt would get were strong, yes, but certainly not at the level of Steen's. Plus those were Japanese crowds, which can play very differently from a WWE Universe™ reaction. Zayn's pre-WWE crowd responses were quite strong, absolutely, but, IMO, I attribute some of that to the El Generico persona. I'll admit, this point could be interpreted as hair-splitting but this is my opinion.

As far as giving WWE credit, I still don't agree with that. They've gotten it wrong so many times previously that they're far past the point where they should have been years ago. It's like telling someone they did a good job hammering a nail after hitting their thumb 5 times.How often can they get something wrong when it's clear what the right thing to do has been obvious for so long?

The NXT crowd isn't the WWE Universe - it's young people, like the old Impact Zone fans. It's a fanbase that's conditioned to like this product and so they're far more open to new acts and view indy guys as huge stars on par with WWE's top guys. It's a real shame the NXT folks aren't paid like that because so far, no one who has had made it to the main roster from this version of NXT has been used as well there as they were in Full Sail.

It's like telling someone they did a good job hammering a nail after hitting their thumb 5 times.
More 500 than 5, but the point stands. I watched the 2014 Royal Rumble match today after listening to the Punk podcast again (hey, long drives, man). The crowd absolutely *shit* on Batista from beginning to end, and it astounds me that WWE not only started by thinking Batista/Orton would be the last match at WrestleMania (i.e., the crowd would get behind Batista at all), but that they still continued through with it (even partway, with Daniel Bryan being inserted at the last minute).

As long as your physique looks like it was hand designed by Tom of Finland (don't google him at work), Vince will give you chance after chance after chance. If you don't? Well, go back and listen to Vince hem and haw about Cesaro on the Stone Cold podcast. He's not getting over because he's...Swiss, or something. If Cesaro had 30 more pounds of muscle, he'd have been a 3-time Champion by now (even with every crowd reaction he received thus far being the same).

Yeah, after Nash got arrested for assaulting his son, WWE suspended his legends contract they have with him too.

That Undertaker & Kane one looks like something that Acclaim would've actually done back in the 16-bit era. If they had ventured off into different genres with the WWF license like THQ did instead of just making Mortal Kombat-style fighting games. Although most of those would probably be better than that WWE Crush Hour.

Who are you to disparage WWE Crush Hour? I would flip the shit out of your ride using the ladder-pault on top of Matt Hardy's extreme wood-paneled station wagon!

As noted, WWE creative has been working on a new main roster gimmick for NXT star Adrian Neville and the gimmick could be inspired by the legendary character Mighty Mouse.

There were suggestions within WWE this past week about putting a mask on Neville and making him a kids character based on Mighty Mouse.
LOL

bread's done
Back