Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

That's an odd promo. On one hand, it's really really good. On the other, it's hard to separate from someone as delusional about their career as Zbyzsko. On yet another hand, he has some really strange euphemisms in there that make me feel like it's John C. Reilly delivering a parody of a wrestling promo.

I think he missed out on a golden opportunity by never taking the Nabisco jingle from the 80s and 90s with the chime, making it Zbyszko (which I will never ever spell right without Googling it), and adding a ring bell instead. Hell, you could do it during a match and waffle a guy with the ring bell after singing it.

The jingle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4YhS1cbGTw#t=27

I hate saying this:

I have to force myself to play WWE2K15. After last week I finally realized I'm just going through the motions of playing a wrestling game like I do every year.

This release however is not fun and feels much like a bargain title. Sad. It's been a LONG time since I stopped playing a newly released wrestling game but I'm done with this one. No mode in this game excites or surprises me. Playing Career mode makes me want to play Smackdown 2 on the original Playstation.

Why do most wrestling games feel the need to include modes rehashing history? Who wants to play 16 or so matches involving CM Punk, Cena, HBK and HHH with storylines we've all heard before? Ugh. 

Don't even get me started on the Create-A-Wrestler mode.

That's an odd promo. On one hand, it's really really good. On the other, it's hard to separate from someone as delusional about their career as Zbyzsko. On yet another hand, he has some really strange euphemisms in there that make me feel like it's John C. Reilly delivering a parody of a wrestling promo.
He's so in love with Bruno, it's like a human game of chess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiYQawwJA0

I hate saying this:

I have to force myself to play WWE2K15. After last week I finally realized I'm just going through the motions of playing a wrestling game like I do every year.

This release however is not fun and feels much like a bargain title. Sad. It's been a LONG time since I stopped playing a newly released wrestling game but I'm done with this one. No mode in this game excites or surprises me. Playing Career mode makes me want to play Smackdown 2 on the original Playstation.

Why do most wrestling games feel the need to include modes rehashing history? Who wants to play 16 or so matches involving CM Punk, Cena, HBK and HHH with storylines we've all heard before? Ugh.

It really depends on what system you're playing it on. I forgot all about 2K Showcase mode, honestly. I've been playing MyCareer (PS4) and Universe.

CAW mode is pretty amazing on PS4, minus entrance stuff (animations, themes, etc). I downloaded a spot-on Kevin Owens CAW a week before he debuted, complete with move-set. I'm pretty sure the NXT roster is up in its entirety on the servers. If they added back in the animations and custom themes for 2K16, I think I'd be set.

I hate saying this:

3fhuiap.jpg

I'm on it. Give me a year.

I hate saying this:

While I don't hate WWE 2K15, I think the gameplay while mostly the same as previous years is pretty fun and the match pacing is much better than previous games in the series. The overall package is lacking a lot with several match types missing, lack of creation options (seriously you can't make a Diva), the awful online (when has it ever been good), the rip off that is the season pass (doesn't include DLC Superstars & Divas), and the incredibly lame My Career mode.

I hope that WWE 2K16 is the true step forward we have all been patiently waiting for. I really would love to just see a current gen return of Fire Pro Wrestling in HD though.

So The Ascension are getting sent back down or released, right? At this point there is no coming back. They probably could have started to try to salvage it by having them beat the shit out of the APA and NWO, but they clearly aren't interested on salvaging it.

I have to assume they've either already given up on them, OR they ate trying to lean into it and are going to turn then into some cornball comedy act.

Last edited by a moderator:
That panel segment was awful - but thankfully HBK reminded me how wonderful his Summerslam match against Hogan was in 2005. My spouse and I laughed our asses off watching a highlight video of HBK bumping in the most *ridiculous* ways just to spite Hogan.

The first part of the opening and last part of the ending were good. Clearly 185 minutes well spent.

LOVED LOVED LOVED Brock coming out as a guy who was happy to be out ready to kick some ass, baby! Then HHH came down and talked. Then Steph talked. Then Cena talked. Then Seth fucked up "tuck your tail between your legs", and then HHH talked some more and we got Cena in a random match later where winning would allow him to keep his title match and get his buddies' their jobs back, but losing takes all of that away. Bryan-Bray had some terrifying Bryan bumps, but he took a safe bump for the suicide dive before jobbing thanks to the concession-selling corporate demon Kane. I enjoyed the Kliq backstage bit, even if it was a bit bizarre to have HHH the top heel play wacky babyface.

The legends panel was largely a bunch of nothing, but I loved them having Flair Rumble shots with HBK and Hogan as he shared the ring with them here. Also loves Show being a smug asshole, then Flair manning up, fighting this giant, and getting KOed. Flair could probably still have a good match now. Dean vs. Barrett was pretty fun - I loved Dean countering Wasteland into the Dirty Deeds for the win. Ascension's burial was something else. These guys are so doomed. Dug the divas tag thanks to Paige. Sting's Raw debut was something else. Loved it! Brock kicking tons of heel ass was great as well. This was an up and down show, but by the end, I was hyped for the Rumble.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/raw-1-19-15.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/o4eml20l5frmn6ujskh8dhhi5co3cf70

I thought the show was really well done. You can't have 3 hours without some slow parts, but compared to the drivel we've gotten over the last several years, this was an A+ RAW in comparison. Really kicking myself for not driving 2.5 hours to Dallas for it now.

I'm a very self-aware person, and I know that I'm ultra-PC, super-liberal type (and quite proud of that). So maybe it's that kicking in here, but...

It always really offends me to see the Raw on MLK day. Always with some video intro Vince McMahon horseshit, and then he parades out seriously awful stereotypes. This year was "revival black church" tag-team New Day, and "dancin' and rappin'" R-Truth.

:(

And let's be fair - I watched about four minutes of TNA the other day. When I heard MVP say "YOU CAN CALL US...THE CLAN!" - I facepalmed for like a fuckin' hour straight.

Same here regarding MVP's Beat Down Clan, Myke.

I actually thought that episode of Raw was mostly dull until the last hour, with a couple exceptions.

Damien Sandow as X-Pac is pretty much the best thing on RAW in the past 5 years.
I loved it too. At first, it was really easy to confuse the two. Hunter looked like he was about to bust up laughing at the end of the segment when he was putting his head down.

To be honest, the gimmick was pretty much the same thing.
I liked Truth best in NWA: TNA as Ron "The Truth" Killings. He had a really killer gimmick over there, he would come out wearing airbrushed jeans and would rap his way to the ring. He also held the NWA Heavyweight Title at one time and I believe the first since Ron Simmons. DAMN!

I watched a 2000 edition of Thunder the other day, which was better than RAW, and Curt Hennig unexpectedly splashed a bottle of water on Mark Madden.  I wish I could remember the date so I could see it again.

:(

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHLlHZ1j5Fs

Jericho

Holic

Ninja

Last edited:
I watched a 2000 edition of Thunder the other day, which was better than RAW, and Curt Hennig unexpectedly splashed a bottle of water on Mark Madden. I wish I could remember the date so I could see it again.
WCW Thunder in 2000 was great. I attended a taping in May of 2000, 2 days after David Arquette dropped the world title to Jeff Jarrett. I was on camera the whole time, wearing a Slap Nuts shirt and holding a miniature (but real) guitar. Highlights, from memory:

• Terry Funk battled Big T (Ahmed Johnson) and New Harlem Heat in a handicap street fight.

• David Flair, Crowbar, and Daffney appeared in some "I Love New York" vignettes (this show was in Springfield, IL) and David beat Arn Anderson in a match via a miniature Statue of Liberty.

• Kevin Nash received a bloodbath, and I was in the splash zone.

• Elizabeth wrestled Bertha Faye.

• The Goldberg monster truck crushed Tank Abbott and Rick Steiner's car right outside my mom's place of employment.

• Hulk Hogan appeared in "FUNB" gear but did not wrestle.

• The main event was an ambulance match that saw Mike Awesome beat Sting in about 45 seconds.

Outside after the show, I got to meet Vampiro (damn, dawg) and literally saw Buff Bagwell get arrested right as I spoke to him.

Memories.

Nice.  If you remember the month, see if you can find it on YouTube.

I've been binging on episodes of WCW Worldwide, where the jobbers shine.

I've actually seen every episode of Thunder and every Nitro from 96 til the end.  Good memories.

Last edited:
WWE Network has Nitro from 95-96 available currently - rudimentary question, but the first year of Nitro was only one hour? Yes?

I really started watching it when it got big, at which point it was 2 or even 3 hours. I'm curious if these archived versions have a lot of content cut out of them.

(thankya for answering.)

WWE Network has Nitro from 95-96 available currently - rudimentary question, but the first year of Nitro was only one hour? Yes?

I really started watching it when it got big, at which point it was 2 or even 3 hours. I'm curious if these archived versions have a lot of content cut out of them.

(thankya for answering.)
1 hour until May. When Hall showed up, that was the 1st 2 hour show. I haven't noticed anything cut, a couple of entrance music dubs with the Road Warriors and DDP's Self High Five.

Nice. If you remember the month, see if you can find it on YouTube.

I've been binging on episodes of WCW Worldwide, where the jobbers shine.

I've actually seen every episode of Thunder and every Nitro from 96 til the end. Good memories.
I mentioned that it was in May, 2 days after Arquette lost the belt (Slamboree), but that would be easy to miss given my post's length. I still have a VHS of that show- not that that helps anyone.

Personally, I watched every episode of Thunder from the start. Often, I'd even watch the replay the same night. I loved wrestling, and there was not a lot of shit to do back then.

I miss WCW.

Seeing Sting at RAW made me miss it more.

I'd take the Surfer Sting, doesn't have to be Crow Sting. Stinger Splash was pretty amazing.

Nice.  Yeah, I missed that.  I was browsing the web at work and sometimes I skim like a mofo.

On board with that episode of Thunder being better than current Raw. Not the "good parts" of Raw, but overall I don't feel like that Thunder wasted my time as much as most Raws do these days.

That weird New Blood thing where a bunch of the new young guys were young evil versions of the same character ("Main Event" Chuck Palumbo vs Luger, "The Perfect One" Shawn Stasiak vs Hennig, Vampiro vs Sting) is straight out of a middle school kid's fantasy booking, which I guess makes sense because Russo was in charge. Still...more interesting than the majority of Raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1fkyvL3Zvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_mWkKmI8kE

This one has Macho Man vs. Ultimo Dragon. ^

Last edited:
Watching some more 2000 WCW stuff, I'm reminded how awesome "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner was as his stint as top heel.  So vicious, so vain, so unpredictable.

Also, it's a shame Buff Bagwell didn't continue wrestling somewhere after he got released from WWE.  That guy was very untapped, in my opinion.  Unfortunately, people focus on Judy On A Pole whenever they hear his name.  I guess it was good enough, at least, to see him reach the mid-upper tier in WCW before the AOL/Turner merger.

Last edited:
Watching some more 2000 WCW stuff, I'm reminded how awesome "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner was as his stint as top heel. So vicious, so vain, so unpredictable.

Also, it's a shame Buff Bagwell didn't continue wrestling somewhere after he got released from WWE. That guy was very untapped, in my opinion. Unfortunately, people focus on Judy On A Pole whenever they hear his name. I guess it was good enough, at least, to see him reach the mid-upper tier in WCW before the AOL/Turner merger.
Bagwell could wrestle for ICP's promotion. He could be The Gigolo Juggalo.

Poor Buff Bags. I don't think of Judy on a Pole, I think that he and Booker T shit up the ring in WWF's WCW, and that was the match (rumor has it) that made Vince can the entire WCW-as-a-separate-product concept.

Of course, if you're going to trash a potential new mega revenue source that quickly, it's not about one match, but your own ego's willingness to let something succeed. WWE has never pushed a product Vince didn't want to, even if it could make fucking oodles of cash.

Bagwell made some appearances in TNA when they first started. I remember him losing a match and getting so depressed, he went back to being Marcus.

I don't think Vince every truly considered running WCW as a separate entity.

I'd be more inclined to believe that they released him as some sort of powerplay and basically sacrificed him to make an example of the other WCW guys in the new locker room.

I looked back on that match to verify it's quality a while back, and it wasn't as bad as I remember.  I bet they were utterly nervous, and I'm sure everyone running things in the back would have anticipated botches.

Bagwell had a bunch of reasons why he didnt last in WWE. There was that match on Raw. There was also the fight he got into with Helms where he got a water bottle in the head for his efforts. Also I remember JR talking about how Buff had his mommy call in sick for him on a date he was supposed to work, rather than call himself. That along with the fact that he had not improved at all since the day he debuted in WCW to the day WCW died doesnt help him any either.

bread's done
Back