Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Yeah, not seeing the Bagwell love. I mean, he was funny with his dumb hat and landing strip facial hair, but I can't recall a single match or interview of his that was particularly outstanding.

Bag well still wrestles. He was here in the Raleigh area a couple weeks ago. Him, Shane Douglas, and some other guy (maybe Jim neidhart).

Playing the contrarian for the sake of discussion (totally agree that Vince never truly intended to run WCW as a separate program): if we look at the Ascension, it's pretty obvious that Vince is happy to put someone in the trash after just one match, provided he doesn't like it.

My lone contribution to this thread: I saw Buff wrestle once in mid-2000s at a gym at a high school of about ~500 students in rural NC. Fun show; he played well off the crowd's heckling. I am/was a huge WCW fan so it was cool seeing him up close.

Yeah, not seeing the Bagwell love. I mean, he was funny with his dumb hat and landing strip facial hair, but I can't recall a single match or interview of his that was particularly outstanding.
Never was a fan of Buff as a wrestler. He was never horrible at wrestling and certainly not the worst guy to ever pick up a microphone, but there was something about him that just never connected for me as a fan. I just never enjoyed anything Buff has ever done in his career, the most I was ever interested in him was a recent interview on Art of Wrestling with Colt Cabana. I honestly think it was the stupid rope tattoo on his arm that made me dislike him.

Buff was friendly to me when I spoke to him after that Thunder taping despite the fact that he was literally moments away from being arrested for hitting a backstage worker in the neck. That counts for something in my book.

Buff was friendly to me when I spoke to him after that Thunder taping despite the fact that he was literally moments away from being arrested for hitting a backstage worker in the neck. That counts for something in my book.
He seems like a decent enough dude and like I said above he is an interesting interview as well. Just something about him as a wrestler never clicked with me and I couldn't tell you any of his feuds that were particularly memorable either. He will sadly best be known for the infamous Judy Bagwell on a forklift match, which only proved that Buff is a mama's boy till the end.

I liked him when he was teaming up with 2 Cold Scorpio. Didn't click with me during American Males. I wouldn't say I was a fan, but his heel work seemed fine.

I too didn't think that Raw match was all bad. People wanted to see WWE wrestlers that night - not WCW. I will say the WCW logo they came up with during that invasion angle was better than that horrible logo with the giant C.

I liked him when he was teaming up with 2 Cold Scorpio. Didn't click with me during American Males. I wouldn't say I was a fan, but his heel work seemed fine.

I too didn't think that Raw match was all bad. People wanted to see WWE wrestlers that night - not WCW. I will say the WCW logo they came up with during that invasion angle was better than that horrible logo with the giant C.
The match wasn't bad, but Buff was never a big enough player in WCW to be in such a high profile match on Raw against the last WCW World Heavyweight Champion. That was really the biggest issue with the whole invasion angle, aside from Booker T no other major WCW name came along due to those absurd guaranteed contracts they had with Turner. If Vince wasn't so against the idea of promoting something he didn't create, WCW could have been a great stepping stone for younger talents a way to help get guys over. The idea of having two entirely seperate and established promotions competing against each other would have been amazing. WWE wasn't able to shop WCW to other networks, but they could have easily had Nitro or a new show on a different night and feature a different roster, but allow for cross over between the two brands on the weekly shows and then have joint promotional PPVs. Sadly what we got was a slightly better logo and a terrible blow off to what could have been something that went on for years.

DDP came on board and took a 50% pay cut to do so and job to Taker's wife. Buff's match with Booker was terrible and helped sink the whole idea of WCW being a separate company. Spike not wanting WCW programming on the network because they were paying for WWF shows, not a WCW-named one run by the WWF also hurt things a lot. Dave Meltzer on the WON board posted today about how they plans to even bring in Tenay, but the Buff match killed the whole concept. WWF knew who to blame for that match as Booker got a semi-main event slot and eventually main event runs, while Buff couldn't even cut it in TNA in its earliest days when they would hire anyone with a name.

SD thoughts -

The show opened with an awesome video package on Sting looking cool before guys talked for 20 minutes. DURING THE BREAK, matches were made. Barrett was talked about as someone who won the IC Title and has lost several times since then. He continued this trend tonight in a nothing chilnlock-filled match that was highlighted by a fan holding up a WE WERE PROMISED JETPACKS sign while Barrett went for the elbow. Outlaws are facing the Ascension at the PPV, and Dean sneakily switched numbers with Fandango while he buried his tongue in Rosa's mouth. Roman, a huge prick, talked about how HE HAS NO FRIENDS IN THE RUMBLE, while his supposed brother is in too, and it's one versus all his his fist is cocked and ready to rock. Ryback nearly killed Rusev several times because he's still shockingly bad for being in wrestling as long as he is, and he won by countout while neither guy got an upper hand afterwards - so everything about this match was unsatisfying. Rowan-Harper was legit the best match of the night to this point since Harper's a good worker and these two have good chemistry. They structured this around things Rowan can do well, things Harper can do well, and the right man won. Kane-Bryan wasn't anything special, and the show's back to feeling quite missable.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/wwe-smackdown-1-22-15.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/5znwnkb17e8xgjt1k8jnyqt4twc5jpop

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed him with The Patriot as well. "Stars and Stripes" was a decent team for it's time.

And how can you not like the American Males? Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSZew9A4GQ

So is Sting going to wrestle or just be one and done at Wrestlmania?

Or is he just there to make appearances and sell merchandise for the WWE shop?

They started with the one match they hyped up and then did an awkward cut to the announcers before going to a horrible battle royal. Then we got Lashley saying words, which was worse, and Lashley-King wasn't good either. Beatdown wasn't anything special. Gail-Havok was fairly bad until Kong came out and shined brighter than anyone on the show so far by just standing around looking like she'd kill everyone around her. Even without being able to really work, she's a megastar - hopefully WWE re-signs her because she shouldn't be wasted her. Koya beat Uno in a nothing match before Storm cut a promo on Matt Hardy about being a bigger demon than anything Hardy's ever faced, and Roode and Angle argued because they're a team now, so they can't get along. EY and Ki vs. Roode and Angle was a nothing match.

EC3-JB was nothing, but the loogie EC3 spit on Spud was sick. Also, Tyrus nearly didn't catch Mark Andrews off a super SSP to the floor. Matt Hardy-Storm sucked and set up Jeff-Abyss in monster's ball next week. They show clips of this during the break, and then after it say WE'VE GOT BREAKING NEWS - Jeff-Abyss next week in a monster's ball. Also, Lashley is shown with his belt next week defending against Aries, so we know that Lashley gets his belt back in the street fight and that Aries gets the World title shot case. Aries got that case, Spud got the X title shot, Magus gets the tag title case so he and Bram can break up in the tag title match, and Velvet got fired in the greatest FOF firing bit ever - thanks to Robbie being great. Street fight wasn't much beyond a couple of cool camera angles, and this show was way too lifeless in every way.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/tna-impact-wrestling-1-23-15-feast-or.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8db1ibl93vs6kjl057hnkqjvylrh3doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWYJ_PLrRK8

"The Juicer".  F'n strange gimmick.  It was supposed to be a Beetlejuice gimmick, apparently.

John Cena should steal his entrance.

Last edited:
The more interesting thing in that video above to me was the fact that it was apparently done during Lance Russell's short stint in WCW. I had never actually heard him call any WCW stuff before.

The Juicer thing started in Portland, I remember seeing a Youtube clip with Piper "transforming" Art Barr into Beetlejuice by throwing a bunch of dust on him, It was real dumb. I can't seem to find it now.

"The Juicer" was Art Barr, who had a great tag team with Eddie Guerrero. Jericho talked about him in his first book. He's just another wrestler who died too soon.

He also got fired for admitting he raped a 19 year-old girl under polygraph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWYJ_PLrRK8

"The Juicer". F'n strange gimmick. It was supposed to be a Beetlejuice gimmick, apparently.

John Cena should steal his entrance.
The Juicer got all the way to WCW - where he was never booked again when they found out the guy with the kid-hugging gimmick interacting with kids had statutory rape charges against him.

As for the Rumble card, it's pretty much all about the WWE Title match for me. The Rumble hasn't been built up well at all, but I am excited about Bryan maybe winning or them doing a Bret-Luger deal and having dual winners to maybe get two matches out of (hopefully) Brock at WM.

I haven't watched ROH since the last PPV and loved this week's show (well, the 45 minutes of it I saw). ODB got a huge pop and while she's an odd fit for ROH, she's a perfect fit for the Briscoes. Beer City Bruiser is an act I should like more than I do, but he comes off as more of a tribute act than someone genuinely getting what made big fat brawler types work. Alberto-Daniels was very good, but also was exactly how you'd expect a video game match to be done with both of them. I love Lethal seemingly setting up a PPV match with Alberto and Hanson's promo was really good hyping up the world title match. Not sure what to make of the Knights of the Dawn other than this gimmick requires a bigger budget than ROH can afford. I'm more excited about the reveal than seeing the buildup to the reveal on that one.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/01/roh-1-25-15.html

Wrestling Observer is reporting that Justin Gabriel quit the company tonight. Rumor was that they pulled him and the Los Matadors from the Rumble so that was probably the final straw for him.

Good for Gabriel - his ceiling is currently NXT jobber, so it makes more sense to leave and possibly send a message while also getting a chance in pretty much any other company. TNA could get him and put the X Title on him immediately, or he can go to ROH and mix it up with the TV Title-level guys or start a team with Sydal. He'd also be  a natural fit with Lucha Underground, which would probably be his best bet stylistically and would be the best-looking option of those three.

The Rumble PPV usually has 5 total matches. Nothing unusual.

Fandango needs to win the Royal Rumble!

EDIT: Jay, Aries may not be cashing in the case. Remember, Aries earned a shot at any TNA championship any time he wanted, by virtue of winning some match at the end of the Spike TV run.

No problem man. I saw it over on Reddit and got a good chuckle from it, so I wanted to share it with people who maybe don't frequent there very often cause stuff can get buried fast over there. They also did one for Gillberg which is hilarious.
Yeah I remembered the Gillberg spoof which was funny at that time. I remember watching Goldberg during the WCW days. He had some ridiculous streak at like near 200 or something. They must have counted house shows because everytime he was on Nitro I was confused as to how they kept track of the all his wins. I thought his gimmick was cool early on. It was pretty disappointing though to hear about all those reports that the "Goldberg" chants were actually being artificially piped into the arena.

The announcers often referenced house show victories increasing Goldberg's tally, but the actual number of matches Goldberg won between his TV debut in September 1997 and his first loss in December 1998 is known to have been greatly exaggerated. I believe the kayfabe number was something like 187 or 188-0.

I was watching a few Goldberg squash matches back when Nitro was just screamin' hot, and it was CRAAAAAAZY how in to it the crowd was.  Goldberg was a genius at emoting, too.  His brain looked like it was glitching.

DDP had that same type of crowd reaction when he was rising to the top as the People's Champion.  He'd blow the roof of that place simply by Diamond Cutting his opponents out of nowhere.  So over it was ridiculous.

Last edited:
I was actually a huge Goldberg fan for the first 10 months he was around. July 6, 1998 at the Georgia Dome was when I turned against him. That was the night he took on the nWo, defeating Scott Hall and then winning the world title from Hogan. I was a huge Hogan fan and have always loved the heels.

Alright you jobbers. Tonight Reigns wins the Rumble and goes to headline WrestleMania against Big Bad Brock. I can feel it, change is in the air!
This is what everyone expects to happen, but things could change. I for one hope that they do because I don't want to Reigns go over in the main event of Wrestlemania. He just isn't ready and will flounder if they force the push with a Rumble win tonight. Daniel Bryan should win the Rumble and go on to Mania because that is what's best for business.

going for reigns to win, also see rollins with belt tonight one way or other. also seen rock tweet he is in town could he be in rumble? would not be suprised if batista shows up as well, of course orton is due back could be interesting night

I want Ambrose to win so he can face Rollins and have a match with a clear winner and no interference once and for all. I agree with the crowd against Reigns winning; he's not ready.

That being said, I'm pretty good as long as there are no Cena wins.

I want Ambrose to win so he can face Rollins and have a match with a clear winner and no interference once and for all. I agree with the crowd against Reigns winning; he's not ready.

That being said, I'm pretty good as long as there are no Cena wins.
betting on cena winning but rollins cashing in aftwards and winning bbelt maybe even with paul haymens help

The Rock is going to take the Rumble. Brock is going to retain. Brock/Rock 2 at Wrestlemania.
still like the idea of undertaker coming back winning the rumble and take/brock 2 at wm to get revenge for that lost last year.

If undertaker does not show tonight and brock keeps the title i dont see any reason for taker to even show at WM this year. Could see an undertaker/sting angle both coming back to take out triple H.

next month ppv main event

Sting/cena/??? vs Rollins/brock/hhh 3 on 3 main event

I hope the rabbit comes back for the rumble. Anyone think they will allow kane to break the record for most people tossed. Thought he would do it last year but he was in an out within seconds

I really expected cena to lose last monday and cost the people their jobs, Then at Rumble cena would win the title but then HHH would come out he would say something you want these people to come back lay down and give the title to the other dude and he would hire them back.

Alright you jobbers. Tonight Reigns wins the Rumble and goes to headline WrestleMania against Big Bad Brock. I can feel it, change is in the air!
I'm predicting that Ziggler will win the Rumble, beat Brock at Wrestlemania, but Rollins cashes in and walks out of Wrestlemania WWE WHC Champion.

What the hell is going on with Paige? She was tagged in and didn't bother to get in the ring, and she keeps trying to tag from mid-ring while not holding the tag rope.

bread's done
Back