Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Lana's out filming a movie for WWE.

Impact thoughts -

Ultimate X was pretty fun. The comedy worked well and no one took stupid risks. Great hype throughout every segment for the World title match.  Joe-Aries wasn't much, but I liked Spud's title win. The Magnus-Bram brawl was a thing. Didn't really do much for me. The KOs 3-way was fantastic. Kong can't do much, but this was about as good a match as you're going to get with her.

Storm and Matt had a really stupid garbage match. It started with basic stuff and then they did a superplex chair bridge spot and a tack bump. Both meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and Matt shouldn't be taking stupid bumps at this stage in his career. Storm took the tacks and they got nothing out of it. It was a kickout and not even a dramatic one. Just such a stupid match given what TNA is and what the talent is really getting out of it money-wise.

Lashley-Angle was amazing. They gave it the biggest-match intro to date in the DA era. They started with logical wrestling stuff that worked to each man's strengths, and built to things like Germans. Loved the 2.9999 count off the spear. The hype for this match had it pegged as a great match and it was a step above that. The big intros helped and each man busted out new things here. Kurt did a crossbody, while Lashley went for a frog splash. The finish was great too - they built to each ankle lock, and then finally the grapevined ankle lock was once again the last bullet in the gun he needed to win. This was a great main event that was worth going out of your way to see - I'm glad I recorded it so I'll have an HD copy forever because if it was Kurt's last World title win, he did his damndest to make it a classic.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/03/tna-impact-wrestling-3-20-15.html

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/dcsgq39lry3yuimrkfxz3i08ivw2r285

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh WCW, what the fuck? (spoilers if you're doing what I'm doing and watching WCW on the WWE Network via the PPVs and Nitros)

So I just watched the second to last Nitro prior to the 1995 Starrcade event. Here's the issue(s):

Heel Jimmy Hart comes out with Lex Luger and declares over and over that Luger is the uncrowned WCW Champion thanks in large part to Luger beating Savage at World War 3 a couple weeks back. Later in that same PPV, Savage won the big battle royal and was crowned the champion. So yeah, it makes sense that Luger would think that because he beat Savage in a relatively quick match, he's the guy who should be champion.

I should mention that at this point, Heel Jimmy Hart is not only functioning as Luger's manager, but he's also running all over the place with Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom. The Dungeon of Doom's main wrestler is the super-green but very huge, Giant (still billed as Andre's son, jesus christ...)

The main event for this Nitro is Randy Savage defending his World Title against The Giant. Jimmy Hart and Kevin Sullivan accompany The Giant to the ring. The same Jimmy Hart who twenty minute earlier proclaimed Luger the uncrowned WCW champion. The Giant helps muddy the waters on the way to the ring by yelling that the WCW belt is his (which is sort of is due to an earlier match wherein Hogan lost by DQ and due to a clause in his contract, was stripped of the belt. But oh no, we're WCW so we'll ignore that clause and instead just have the belt be vacant until World War 3 and the battle royal).

The match is pretty good given The Giant's lack of experience and while there is some interference, it's nothing that really would decide the match. Ultimately, The Giant kicks out of a Randy Savage elbow drop and nails a chokeslam in the middle of the ring. As The Giant is about to pin Savage cleanly for the World Title, All-American super face Hulk Hogan rushes out there with a chair and smashes The Giant, Kevin Sullivan, at least one referee, and Jimmy Hart. The crowd is going wild because...

...Hogan just acted more like a heel than anyone in the Dungeon of Doom up to and including The Giant have on this broadcast?

I was not following WCW at this point in history and frankly, if I had watched that Nitro live, it certainly wouldn't have won me over. It's easy to point to 2000 WCW as being a nightmare but 1995 WCW is really, really weak as well. The undercard is still there. Guys like Eddie Guerrero and *name redacted* are getting wins in great matches but holy shit, why the hell did they give Hogan so much power.

Finishing the episode, Savage looks helpless as champion, Hogan is a complete heel despite getting cheered constantly, Giant has a strong case that he should be champion, and Jimmy Hart is managing two guys who are both trying to win the title.

I don't know, I think WCW was lucky to last as long as they did with Hogan on board.

Ehh, I think I read an article (Grantland?) years ago that described a lot of top wrestling babyface actions as super, super heelish. The benefit of hindsight helps enhance that. 

Thanks for the reminder, Kane. I completely forgot that The Authority was ever gone at this point, and I'm also so accustomed to Ziggles and Bryan being treated so flippantly I no longer take any push they get seriously. Unlike Charlie Brown, I know Lucy is gonna yank that football away the next time I try to kick it.

Oh WCW, what the fuck? (spoilers if you're doing what I'm doing and watching WCW on the WWE Network via the PPVs and Nitros)

So I just watched the second to last Nitro prior to the 1995 Starrcade event. Here's the issue(s):

Heel Jimmy Hart comes out with Lex Luger and declares over and over that Luger is the uncrowned WCW Champion thanks in large part to Luger beating Savage at World War 3 a couple weeks back. Later in that same PPV, Savage won the big battle royal and was crowned the champion. So yeah, it makes sense that Luger would think that because he beat Savage in a relatively quick match, he's the guy who should be champion.

I should mention that at this point, Heel Jimmy Hart is not only functioning as Luger's manager, but he's also running all over the place with Kevin Sullivan and the Dungeon of Doom. The Dungeon of Doom's main wrestler is the super-green but very huge, Giant (still billed as Andre's son, jesus christ...)

The main event for this Nitro is Randy Savage defending his World Title against The Giant. Jimmy Hart and Kevin Sullivan accompany The Giant to the ring. The same Jimmy Hart who twenty minute earlier proclaimed Luger the uncrowned WCW champion. The Giant helps muddy the waters on the way to the ring by yelling that the WCW belt is his (which is sort of is due to an earlier match wherein Hogan lost by DQ and due to a clause in his contract, was stripped of the belt. But oh no, we're WCW so we'll ignore that clause and instead just have the belt be vacant until World War 3 and the battle royal).

The match is pretty good given The Giant's lack of experience and while there is some interference, it's nothing that really would decide the match. Ultimately, The Giant kicks out of a Randy Savage elbow drop and nails a chokeslam in the middle of the ring. As The Giant is about to pin Savage cleanly for the World Title, All-American super face Hulk Hogan rushes out there with a chair and smashes The Giant, Kevin Sullivan, at least one referee, and Jimmy Hart. The crowd is going wild because...

...Hogan just acted more like a heel than anyone in the Dungeon of Doom up to and including The Giant have on this broadcast?

I was not following WCW at this point in history and frankly, if I had watched that Nitro live, it certainly wouldn't have won me over. It's easy to point to 2000 WCW as being a nightmare but 1995 WCW is really, really weak as well. The undercard is still there. Guys like Eddie Guerrero and *name redacted* are getting wins in great matches but holy shit, why the hell did they give Hogan so much power.

Finishing the episode, Savage looks helpless as champion, Hogan is a complete heel despite getting cheered constantly, Giant has a strong case that he should be champion, and Jimmy Hart is managing two guys who are both trying to win the title.

I don't know, I think WCW was lucky to last as long as they did with Hogan on board.
I've been going back and watching Nitro and the WCW PPVs as well. WCW started getting good in '96 and really peaked when the NWO first came around, but prior to that they were all over the place and The Dungeon of Doom may be my my least favorite stable of all time (I can't stand Kevin Sullivan). I really would like to see some more Nitro's added soon, I'm really looking forward to watching the later stuff again, as bad as some of the matches and angles were, those years produced some really good matches with a lot of younger talent especially near the very end. You also have Scott Steiner at the pinnacle of being so bad, that it's awesome.

As bad as Hogan was, he was a big reason WCW got to the heights it did to begin with. His ideas were of course terrible and in the long run helped run the company into the ground, but there were a lot of hands in the cookie jar that were just as responsible for WCW becoming what it did.

Just found out that luchador Perro Aguayo died during a match with Rey Mysterio. From what we're hearing so far he was double dropkicked into the ropes but hit them incorrectly, and either suffered a brain hemorrhage or cervical spine trauma.

Here's a link with more info and video right after the incident occured: http://wrestlingnews.co/breaking-hijo-del-perro-aguayo-dies-due-to-mishap-from-rey-mysterios-619/

EDIT: And here's the full match. Dropkick comes at 6:23:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmieRklWdaE&t=398

Just found out that luchador Perro Aguayo died during a match with Rey Mysterio. From what we're hearing so far he was double dropkicked into the ropes but hit them incorrectly, and either suffered a brain hemorrhage or cervical spine trauma.

Here's a link with more info and video right after the incident occured: http://wrestlingnews.co/breaking-hijo-del-perro-aguayo-dies-due-to-mishap-from-rey-mysterios-619/
There's nothing that stands out in the clips I've watched that would make you think that's what caused it. Rey's dropkick that put Aguayo onto the ropes for the 619 looks like it hit Aguayo in the shoulder but Aguayo looks like he's unconscious when he lands on the ropes to take the 619. Medical attention should have been rendered immediately although who knows if it would have made a difference. RIP Hijo del Perro Aguayo.

The cause of death is due to the same thing that killed Misawa - so basically, he had too much damage and it was just a matter of time where one wrong bump did him in. Bryan Alvarez's theory is that it was due to the rope, and he did take the bump into the ropes all wrong. Bryan also talked to a paramedic about this and he said that it appeared to be an instant death due to his neck snapping and that having a doctor at ringside at that exact moment wouldn't have done much.

Crazyness with what happened last night in Mexico.  Didn't really look like anything Rey did to me either.  Looks like when he took that hurricanrana from Rey he was supposed to hit the ropes to setup the 619 but went out of the ring instead then came right back in, so Rey hit that drop kick to put him back on the ropes.  Do you guys think Manik ducked the first 619 on the fly because he knew something was up?  Looks like to me he was looking right at Aguayo before Rey tried the first one.  After Rey tried the first one and Manik ducked, Rey was just kind of standing there put his arms up like "what are you doing".

Just read through an AP report that the state's prosecutor's office is looking into possible manslaughter charges.  But who would be charged?  The company or the wrestlers(mainly Mysterio)?

New Perro info from Observer Radio - one of the doctors who treated him at the hospital said he had vital signs at the hospital, so he didn't die in the ring. Perro died of a heart attack caused by the neck injury.

No - he was internally decapitated by a back suplex. Like a lot of guys, he had a ton of undiagnosed neck damage which is another possible issue with Perro.

Also, WrestleMania had about 8,000 seats left as of 10 days ago.

Looks like WWE might be giving up on the Ascension after this was pointed out.

It definitely appears WWE has given up on pushing Konnor and Viktor of The Ascension, or they're at least putting plans on hold. The former NXT Tag Team Champions have lost their last 11 matches. Their last win came at the March 2nd WWE Superstars taping as they defeated Darren Young and Titus O'Neil. Before that, their last win was at the February 17th SmackDown tapings when they defeated Big E and Xavier Woods. They lost to Sin Cara and Kalisto on Superstars this week
I'd say that it started right after they debut. Sure, they might've had a win at the Royal Rumble against the New Age Outlaws. But when they had JBL burying them on commentary, that probably did it for most people.

I also think this is Vince's way to show even hyped NXT wrestlers can fail on the main roster.

Other than their first real loss against the PTPs, those others have been on Main Event and Superstars. Most people never watch those shows. But the Ascension needs a total gimmick overhaul before coming back to Raw and Smackdown, if that even happens.

I've watched video from multiple angles and it seems to me that this was caused by a combination of moves:

1.) He does an evasive roll which caused pressure on the back of his neck, you can see him lose his footing for a second. 

2.) He then takes a twisted looking flying headscissors, more torque and pressure on his neck.

3.) He then bumps to the outside, seemingly accidental (it appears he was supposed to land on the ropes.) On the way out of the ring it looks as it he hit the back of his head and/or neck on the ring apron.

4.) You can tell he's in trouble at this point because he dives back into the ring but then appears to move very slow. 

5.) Mysterio dropkicks him (he doesn't appear to be 100% ready for it, as they are trying to fix the previous botch) and hits his neck on the rope. 

I've read comments claiming the dropkick hit him in the neck/head instead of the shoulder. This may very well be possible. The 619 never connects from what I see as thy were both supposed to dodge it, that's why Rey misses it. You can see Manik draped on the ropes looking concerned. It appears that he taps him with his hand and speaks to him with no response, that's the first sign of any danger in regards to the men in the ring.

I'm not bashing or judging the ringside attendants but them shaking the guy as often as they did probably wasn't the wisest decision.

Looks like WWE might be giving up on the Ascension after this was pointed out.

I'd say that it started right after they debut. Sure, they might've had a win at the Royal Rumble against the New Age Outlaws. But when they had JBL burying them on commentary, that probably did it for most people.

I also think this is Vince's way to show even hyped NXT wrestlers can fail on the main roster.
Remind me again but didn't JBL bury them because they called out the Road Warriors/LoD? If I remember right, the commentators basically buried the Ascension based on what the writers had those guys say on the mic. That means this all wouldn't have been their fault. I'm not a fan of their gimmick but it would be a shame if they get screwed through no fault of their own.

Remind me again but didn't JBL bury them because they called out the Road Warriors/LoD? If I remember right, the commentators basically buried the Ascension based on what the writers had those guys say on the mic. That means this all wouldn't have been their fault. I'm not a fan of their gimmick but it would be a shame if they get screwed through no fault of their own.
I think the problem with The Ascension is the way they were brought up to the main roster in general. JBL burying them on commentary was just icing on the cake. Konnor and Viktor should have came in without any promotion prior to their debut on the main roster. They should have let the Uso's run with the belts and just go through every team on the roster as they did last year and be the most dominant tag-team in the WWE in years. They should have came out on RAW and issued an open challenge to any team for a shot at the tag titles and cue The Ascension, the most dominant tag-team in NXT, to challenge and then win the belts on their first night. Don't have them say much (Welcome to the Wasteland is super lame) if anything and just mow through everyone. While this happens they could bring the Lucha Dragons up to the main roster, quietly like they have done and allow them to pick up victories on Superstars and Main Event for awhile before appearing on RAW and Smackdown to continue their winning streak and then have them face off at Wrestlemania for the WWE tag-titles both as undefeated teams on the main roster and former NXT champions. If things would have went this way it would have gotten all four guys over big and we know they can put on a good match as it's been proven in NXT. Shame they decided to go the route of having Ascension go over The New Age Outlaws, which no one cared about, then just fall into obscurity to only get beaten by Lucha Dragons on Main Event in a throwaway match that hardly anyone will watch.

They also should have calmed the fuck down during their TV debut; their match was terrible and their promos were terrible because they were so nervous. They had one opportunity to "run with the ball" and they fucked up bad. It was a segment that showed they were not reliable talents, and their in-ring work was not of quality to overlook everything else and give them another chance.

So in terms of burying the Ascension, I'll place the bulk of the blame on them.

That all said, it is wasteful and thoughtless for WWE to give up on someone after one match (and does anyone think that WWE gave them even a second match to redeem themselves? I sure don't). They spent a LOT of their own time and money developing these guys to write them off after one 4-minute segment. I get that not everyone can be a success; for every John Cena you're gonna go through a dozen guys that don't or can't make it work. Writing them off after one chance is foolhardy, however - as is not sending them through some stuff on Main Event or Superstars first. Nobody watches those shows, so it's a great chance to get them ready for "real" tv over NXT.

Ascension screwed up, and it is absolutely NOT news at all that they're done for; that's been evident since the moment their debut segment ended. It is really silly of WWE to do that, though.

Ok that makes sense thanks. I don't watch Main Event or Superstars so I'd categorize myself as the casual mainstream fan that pays attention to Raw and even Smackdown once in awhile. I think we are all in agreement that there's something to be said about paying your dues and getting rushed into the spotlight. I do think though that the prep and hype for these guys wasn't through fault of their own as the writers just handled it poorly.

Also come to think of it, it's possible that the Road Warriors promo they had cut in-ring was a total shoot. I could see guys like JBL burying them for trying to compare themselves to legends before their WWE careers get even started. If anything, I think it's a really bad idea to compare yourself to a wrestling legend that your image looks very similar to. If you're trying to make your stamp and get over with the crowd, I would think the last thing you'd try to do is to bury the same tag team partners that closely resemble your look. JBL sealed the deal for the general audience as viewers like me just can't get behind these guys.

They also should have calmed the fuck down during their TV debut; their match was terrible and their promos were terrible because they were so nervous. They had one opportunity to "run with the ball" and they fucked up bad. It was a segment that showed they were not reliable talents, and their in-ring work was not of quality to overlook everything else and give them another chance.

So in terms of burying the Ascension, I'll place the bulk of the blame on them.

That all said, it is wasteful and thoughtless for WWE to give up on someone after one match (and does anyone think that WWE gave them even a second match to redeem themselves? I sure don't). They spent a LOT of their own time and money developing these guys to write them off after one 4-minute segment. I get that not everyone can be a success; for every John Cena you're gonna go through a dozen guys that don't or can't make it work. Writing them off after one chance is foolhardy, however - as is not sending them through some stuff on Main Event or Superstars first. Nobody watches those shows, so it's a great chance to get them ready for "real" tv over NXT.

Ascension screwed up, and it is absolutely NOT news at all that they're done for; that's been evident since the moment their debut segment ended. It is really silly of WWE to do that, though.
As someone who loved the Ascension in NXT, I totally agree with this post but I'm not happy about it . This may (for better or for worse?) lead to more NXT guys getting repackaged before they're brought up.

The Sting promo was getting to be a thing before Steph came out and ruined it, then HHH ruined it more, and then Sting swung his bat around wildly - so if HHH got hit, it was his own fault. IC goofs tag. If they're just going to talk about whatever the fuck they want to, there is literally no point to guys taking bumps. Just play jacks mid-ring, or thumb wrestle. Match was a backdrop to the commentary. Ditto the ten-man tag.  WELL THAT'S HOUR ONE! 

Orton's handicap match was nothing. Divas title match between Paige and Nikki was fantastic. Loved Hogan, Snoop, and Axel in the ring too. HOGAN RAN WILD BROTHER! 6-thing tag was a thing. Rusev-Swagger was a nothing match, but A FANTASTIC HYPE JOB FOR THE WM MATCH. Rusev looked like a world-beater. Bray cut a fantastic promo on Taker complete with thunder and lightning effects. It was easily his best promo since the first Cena match.

Diesel HOF vid was fine, although Cole's KEVIN NASH AKA DIESEL was LOL-worthy. Ditto the "AND IMPLYING THEY WERE PART OF WWE" part in the video. Rick Rubin looks like Luke Harper's dad, and Dean's "I'M THE LAW AND ORDER" got a chuckle out of me. Brock and his Bud Bundy beard isn't a good look. Paul Heyman cut one of his best promos ever that was so good that even Brock Lesnar was in visible awe for quite a while. Roman came down and got a "LET'S GO LESNAR!" CHANT. Roman grabbed the belt and got booed. Tug of war over the belt ended the show...yeah that wasn't great.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/03/raw-3-23-15.html

Screens - 

Perro got...a sign.

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/bv3ddkkk265zl3sb2ne71nmo14wsl6ew

I worked a show in the Charleston Civic Center last September (not wrestling, but WFTDA roller derby). Neat venue, and good seats all around.

Congrats on your slacking off at work paying dividends! ;)
It's not a bad place, worst part is it needs a lot of updates.

It's not bad at all for WWE Live or a concert, we saw James Taylor there around Thanksgiving.

I wish more rock and metal concerts stopped by, but I'm just a couple hours from Columbus, Pittsburgh, or CIncy.

Glad you enjoyed the bustling metropolis that I work in.

I may be alone in this statement:

Deadman Inc. needs to make a comeback in a big way starting at WM against Wyatt. No better way to surprise or combat Wyatt's character than a no nonsense, take no names ass-kicker. Get rid of the mystique already, it's 2015. You could even have Deadman claim that it made him naive and weak and now there are no more games and it'd be fine by me.

Will it happen? No, but hey.

I may be alone in this statement:

Deadman Inc. needs to make a comeback in a big way starting at WM against Wyatt. No better way to surprise or combat Wyatt's character than a no nonsense, take no names ass-kicker. Get rid of the mystique already, it's 2015. You could even have Deadman claim that it made him naive and weak and now there are no more games and it'd be fine by me.

Will it happen? No, but hey.
Definitely alone on this one. I was not a fan of the biker Undertaker at all and at this point Taker probably has one last Wrestlemania left him and my guess would be that will happen next year and when he retires it has to be as The Deadman, the character has way too much history to bring back the biker gimmick for two Wrestlemania matches, assuming he has one next year.

New Observer Radio has details about how Alberto got hurt - he was training for a GLORY kickboxing fight on May 8 with GOLDBERG for Spike. If Alberto's healed in time, then the fight could still be on.

Bikertaker should come out with Limp Bizkit performing "rollin" live at Wrestlemania lol.

I thought the Undertaker was done after last WM, the match wasn't great and also with the streak gone it seems a bit pointless,  The whole thing with Bray is a it phoned in, Taker hasn't shown up on Raw or anything right ?  That said Bray's promos have been good.

Gotta say the WM card is leaving me feeling a bit underwhelmed.  I'll probably still watch it but I'm not really expecting much.

Definitely alone on this one. I was not a fan of the biker Undertaker at all and at this point Taker probably has one last Wrestlemania left him and my guess would be that will happen next year and when he retires it has to be as The Deadman, the character has way too much history to bring back the biker gimmick for two Wrestlemania matches, assuming he has one next year.
I'd be all for biker showing up to fight Wyatt. Not really the "tell yer old lady the Undertaker's back in town" tobacco guy, more like an amagamation of the two (like a Demon Bikertaker or something). He should be a little more humanized after losing last year.

Ideal scenario for me is whenever he is having his last match (assuming they'll try to drag him out again next year), they let him come out with the straight-up white beard. That old wizard's gonna have his final battle.

2737573-9932901656-14271.gif

I fully expect Bray to have a shovel in his hand this week on Smackdown, digging at the center of the ring, where Undertaker is buried, and all of a sudden a hand comes up through the ring, grabs Wyatt, and takes him to hell. There, Undertaker will meet, SISTER ABIGAIL!

Of course it's Smackdown, so it would have had to happen on Raw 2 weeks ago for them to show it.

I fully expect Bray to have a shovel in his hand this week on Smackdown, digging at the center of the ring, where Undertaker is buried, and all of a sudden a hand comes up through the ring, grabs Wyatt, and takes him to hell. There, Undertaker will meet, SISTER ABIGAIL!

Of course it's Smackdown, so it would have had to happen on Raw 2 weeks ago for them to show it.
Or immediately after last nights RAW. They taped Smackdown last night after RAW to air on Thursday along with some footage from Wrestlemania Axxess.

Aw come on, I kind of want to see a legit riot when Reigns wins. Just a chair stackin', drink throwing riot of an ending.
That would be pretty fun. The best part of WWE PPVs the last few years have been the audience outrage at the garbage WWE tries to shove down our throats. I could live with that.

Aw come on, I kind of want to see a legit riot when Reigns wins. Just a chair stackin', drink throwing riot of an ending.
Yeah, that's the funny part about this...you think Lesnar was cheered more than Reigns before? It's going to be 80/20 on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=105&v=tGUGlLklKZY

I think Brock Lesnar made the right decision. I think he'll be happier in the WWE since he'll continue to be successful and not have to worry about people trying to legitimately hurt him.

With regards to the Undertaker, I thought last year should have been his last. It was kind of scary to watch and I don't know why they let it go on for so long.

That's awesome news for the WWE.  I care about wrestling more than MMA so I'm a happy camper now.  Frankly, I didn't like a part-time Lesnar.  I thought it was bad for business in the long run and only beneficial for the WWE in the short run.  Now, this makes the main event even more interesting.  No way Lesnar was going to win but now the end result is going to be pretty debatable.  

Any posts with more Nattie and Beadle - I shall approve. 

bread's done
Back