Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

A full time Brock would be nice
I disagree. I like the Hogan-Era title defense every 2 or 3 months. It makes a title match mean something. The "real" sports dont have title defenses every other week, so why should WWE. Back in the day if Hogan was defending his title it was something you didnt want to miss, Lesnar has brought that back and thats a good thing.

Also, with Lesnar only coming back every couple of months to defend the title, that leaves SOOO much tv time that they can put towards rebuilding the IC and USA titles. Hell, maybe even the tag titles but I think that is a stretch.

All you need to know about Lesnar's title reign is that WrestleMania is upon us and NO ONE gives a shit about the main event which is supposed to be for the top prize in the entire industry. People care more about the IC and US title matches than the Heavyweight Championship match, that can't be seen as a positive. I like the fact that the IC and US Titles are looking really strong/important heading into WM but they really shouldn't outshine the top prize in the game. I'm fine with Lesnar resigning but only if he drops the belt sooner rather than later, part time champions just kill the product. I'm under the assumption that Lesnar's deal will be similar to his previous one, anyone who thinks he's going to wrestle full-time now is crazy. I don't understand the less is more argument when it comes to the Title, this isn't the 80's anymore when Hogan could get away with defending the belt 3 times a year. Today the WWE has what.....7 hours of weekly WWE programming? In the 80's they didn't have 7 hours of programming a month, it's just too much time to fill without the Heavyweight Championship being a factor.

I disagree. I like the Hogan-Era title defense every 2 or 3 months. It makes a title match mean something. The "real" sports dont have title defenses every other week, so why should WWE. Back in the day if Hogan was defending his title it was something you didnt want to miss, Lesnar has brought that back and thats a good thing.

Also, with Lesnar only coming back every couple of months to defend the title, that leaves SOOO much tv time that they can put towards rebuilding the IC and USA titles. Hell, maybe even the tag titles but I think that is a stretch.
Title matches still mean something. Only having a title match every two or three months just means I don't any reason to tune in until the month Lesnar shows up to defend the damn thing.

Right on. It's pretty sad that people would argue that title defenses meant something during the "Cena defends the title, tonight on Raw!!" era.

If they do this right (ie treat the IC and US belts with some respect), it could do a lot to repair the lasting damage of the late 90's (not that the shows weren't entertaining then, but it wasn't good for long-term expectations from fans).

Last edited by a moderator:
Especially if that occurs after Daniel Bryan wins the IC title on Sunday,, holds it for a full year, wins the Royal Rumble, and comes out on top in a champion vs. champion match at WrestleMania 32.
Just stop. Please, just stop. I am sorry, but D Brine's time has come and gone. It is time for newer talents to come up in spots like that. Maybe Neville, Balor, Owens, or other NXT standouts would be great for a program like that to elevate them to the moon. Bryan however, does not need something like that.

Just stop. Please, just stop. I am sorry, but D Brine's time has come and gone. It is time for newer talents to come up in spots like that. Maybe Neville, Balor, Owens, or other NXT standouts would be great for a program like that to elevate them to the moon. Bryan however, does not need something like that.
Stop what? I haven't been one of the people pushing for Bryan to replace Reigns at Mania. My idea would keep him out of the world title picture for a whole year and would elevate the championship, not Bryan himself. An NXT guy can't do that, and the IC title in its current state would do little to elevate a new talent.

Besides this incredible example of hyperbole, did you ever watch it first-run?
Here and there. I knew big WCW guys like Sting and Flair. I knew tons of WWE guys headed there from the early 90s on.

I realize that watching Hulk Hogan's monster truck match in 2015 would be awkward but given my age in 1995, I don't think it would've entertained me then either.

Man, if only Roman Reigns did one of those "you're not yourself when you're hungry" commercials, and he turned from like fuckin' Rip Taylor into Roman Reigns...that would work.

That said, WWE is not a newcomer to product placement, nor is M&M/Mars. How did they fuck this up that badly?

On the extremely boring WrestleMania Today show, it was announced that the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal will take place on the kickoff show.

So someones time is basically holding the title for a month and change? You seriously think any NXT talent not on the main roster now is going to be in the title picture a year from now?

Please tell me you do a tremendous amount of drugs.

So Hideo Itami won the NXT tournament for the battle royale spot. Very surprising with how over Finn Balor is
I am more surprised that Neville or Breeze didn't win. I am sure they have big plans for Finn Balor when he arrives on the main roster and having him make his debut in a throwaway pre-show battle royale with 20 different guys isn't a good way for him to debut. I feel like they really don't know what to do with Itami, but they realize how good he is and know that he can perform at a high level, so he was a safe bet to throw into this match, I'd mark out hard if he won the battle royale, but I doubt it will happen.

So someones time is basically holding the title for a month and change? You seriously think any NXT talent not on the main roster now is going to be in the title picture a year from now?

Please tell me you do a tremendous amount of drugs.
I would be willing to bet on someone like Balor, Owens, Zayne, to name just a couple that could EASILY be in the title picture in the next year.

I would be willing to bet on someone like Balor, Owens, Zayne, to name just a couple that could EASILY be in the title picture in the next year.
I agree with you there. These three guys are all clearly money and have all been ready for the main roster for awhile now. It's just a mater of time until the trigger is pulled, but these three will all be huge for the future of the WWE. I feel bad for guys like Itami and Neville who are just as talented, but aren't nearly as over as Balor, Owens, and Zayn. I really feel like they have no idea what to do with Hideo and it's sad because KENTA is one of my favorite wrestlers in the world and I hate seeing him without much direction, it's really to early to say at this point, but I just have a bad feeling that they will botch his debut and he will linger in the mid-card.

He seems legitimately stoked at the win.

(I mean, of course he is - who wouldn't be excited to work WM?)

But his energy and sense of disbelief comes off as truly sincere.

Yet another reason to love that guy
Itami
. I really hope they don't give him a raw deal when he hits the main roster.

Itami
308215.jpg

Itami
Knowing Vince he'd turn him into a wrestling tourist with a giant camera and a Hawaiian shirt, and after every match Godzilla comes down to chase him around the ring.

Loved the opening video recapping the Storm-Hardy issue setting up that being the start of the show. The new set looks fantastic - it's heavy on video walls and looks like the best set they've had in about a year. Ki lost to Spud in a fun little match that set up The Rising vs. The BDC and took Ki out of the X Title picture for now logically. Brooke vs. Kong was just about perfect. Kong looked like a badass being her base and having Brooke just bounce off her, then demolish her and Taryn. Loved the return of THE EXTREME ENIGMA just beating the daylights out of Koya with ladders and bottles. That was a fun character on SD and the best use of Hardy in terms of hiding his weaknesses on the mic.

EVERYONE IN THE TITLE PICTURE TALKED and then everyone but Lashley and Kurt got into a 6-man tag. Okay little match that got over EY's figure four nicely. His new shoulder tattoo though...no. Mickie, Magnus, and Bram once again had the best promo segment on the show setting up the street fight that was announced a bit earlier. Bram is such a sick bastard that it makes even the most scummy parts of this feud actually work really well.  Hardy came off like a huge star in the intro, but the main event wasn't very good. Worst Eye of the Storm ever hit for a 2, but Jeff got a really cool monkey bar rana for a 2.9. Great finish with the cowbell and the cage-assisted splash too. Fun match, but definitely a step down from last week. Luckily, it was a good story match and next week's show could be one of the best Impacts in...well about two weeks. The show is on a roll.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/03/tna-impact-wrestling-3-27-15.html

Screens -

Gallery 1 -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/8a3xzt2u1fw677uytcnhnkd2cdzyxnu5

Gallery 2 -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/5f7mpq0o4sanyglnd701tskusk95yic4

Went to my first Axxess event yesterday and man they werent kidding when they said your feet would be hurting from the walking and standing. Spent 80% of the time waiting in lines but I was able to get pics with Kevin Owens, Bayley, and HHH.

Afterward went to the NXT show and man that was probably the best live event I've ever been too. The crowd was super hot throughout the entire night, matches were spectacular (especially Sasha/Charlotte and Balor/Neville). Did see some camera people walking around and once in a while they displayed the hard camera on the titantron so I'm wondering if any of it was taped and will be shown on the Network. Hope they do because Owens/Zayn cut a killer promo and easily better than any of the Wrestlemania promos.

Hahaha, I almost posted something similar. I actually have a ton of brand new sealed RAW decks right now, myself and a couple of my co-workers ordered a few boxes on eBay for super cheap, but have yet to find time to play. Kinda wish they'd bring this back with the current roster.

Roman's intensity was nearly identical before and after the Snickers.

Boy, I sure hope that joke doesn't piss anyone off!

gonna be a lot of filler/crap tonight seems like 9 matches 2 of wich are on preshow. 7 matches over 4 hours equals a lot of filler/crap. I took something last night from hall of fame show. requishi congratulated the usos for wrestlemania all ready possible spoiler in they get straps back personaly hope not. still think seth will have belt by nights end

Hahaha, I almost posted something similar. I actually have a ton of brand new sealed RAW decks right now, myself and a couple of my co-workers ordered a few boxes on eBay for super cheap, but have yet to find time to play. Kinda wish they'd bring this back with the current roster.

Over on teamcanadaonline.net they make virtual cards with the current roster as well as previously unreleased Legends.

That reminds me.  I found this at a local thrift shop for $1:

100_3287.jpg

If the image doesn't show up, I'm talking about the Nitro trading card game by Wizards of the Coast.

Last edited:
That battle royale ending lasted way too long to have that be the finish.
Disagree - maybe they could have worked the Mizdow split elsewhere at another event, but the finish worked. Big Show deserves a battle royale win, and all the "big guys" got their shit in. They put Itami over, too.

Contrary to our recent discussion, Ascension got put over a bit by eliminating Mark Henry and getting their shit in on Big Show (eventual winner). Now, a tag team that has been a flop since day one that nobody has mentioned? The New Day. Man, three really, really talented dudes who are in a gimmick (black revival church?) that just won't ever fucking work with a pro wrestling crowd, and now they all get killed by Big Show.

Loved the Cesaro tease as well, and kinda thankful he did not repeat this year.

I'm no Big Show fan by any stretch, but this works. I'll enjoy a match that makes sense and is well executed, even if "the guy I like" doesn't win. (also, to be fair, I didn't give a fuck who won the battle royal, because given Cesaro's post-WM-2014 trajectory, the battle royal doesn't mean shit :)).

The tag team match on the kickoff was a hot fucking mess. Didn't care for it at all.

bread's done
Back