Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Looks like the WWE Network is free to new subscribers again in May. I am so mad that they keep giving free months to new subscribers, but as someone who has subscribed since day one I have gotten absolutely nothing from the WWE aside from some stupid emoijis. I somehow never got the WWE Shop credit that many others, including my brother, had received.

I wish the WWE cared about loyal fans who have stuck with their product for decades and signed up for the Network on day one. Hell at this point a free month would be a nice gesture for us who have stuck with the Network since day one.
They sent me $25 for wweshop for being a subscriber since day one in an email back in February. No min. purchase. You probably deleted the email.

They sent me $25 for wweshop for being a subscriber since day one in an email back in February. No min. purchase. You probably deleted the email.
Trust me I definitely didn't delete the email. I was expecting to get it and just never received anything but the emoijis. My only guess as to why I didn't receive it was that my membership lapsed for a day when I had to get a new credit card due to fraud and it just happened between getting the new card and canceling the old one, my membership came up for renewal and it ended up lapsing for a day. Either way it's not a huge deal and the reason I hate that they keep making the Network free all the time, the Network is something I'll always pay for though it's a no brainier if your a wrestling fan.

I've been a subscriber since the beginning as well, but I've read that the conversion rate of the free trials is extremely high. That's why they keep doing free months, it's working.

I've been a subscriber since day 1 and didnt get the $25 email either.

Also been hearing stories of some people being double or some even triple charged for their Network account. One theory going around is people using the same email to keep signing up for those free trials.

Well, that was nothing but an hour of Jericho being nothing more than a pandering ass to Stephanie. The Cena interview wasn't to bad, but this one..... only one person can properly describe what this truly was....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yNT4TpFe0

That Mick Foley "Cheap Pops" show was great. His act was very entertaining when I saw him perform in August 2009 and March 2010, but Foley has fine-tuned things and was working with mostly new material. Plus my friend who I told about the show (a fellow CAG!) was on screen multiple times.

Well, that was nothing but an hour of Jericho being nothing more than a pandering ass to Stephanie. The Cena interview wasn't to bad, but this one..... only one person can properly describe what this truly was....
Jericho is far more of a "HEY MAN BILL DEMOTT IS A GREAT HUMAN BEING" type of guy, so it's not the least bit surprising they replaced Austin with him for their supposed nothing-is-off-limits interviews. Not that Austin is some hard-hitting investigative reporter, but he's Woodward and Bernstein compared to Jericho.

Last edited by a moderator:
The opening clusterfuck opening 6-man was a thing. Al Snow's wacky jackets making a comeback amused me. Ken-EC3 thing was a lot of fun. Spud losing the title sucks, but at least they had a really good and fairly safe ladder match. Plus, it led to Spud cutting a fantastic promo in the back. Taryn-Brooke was a fine booty-shorts war. Drew vs. Ki was good-ish, but would've been better without the pipe stip. EVERYTHING WITH THIS STORM-MAGNUS-MICKIE FEUD IS AMAZING.

I assume it will be paid off at Slammiversary with Mickie saying "she'll stand by her man" and then picking Storm, or not. Either way, any result works out given how they've built this up. The stretcher match main event took a while to get going, but after the break, was a really good match. It reminded me a lot of the Hart-Michaels ladder match where it was this technically good match that involved a prop, but the prop was a storytelling device instead of just a thing to do stuff off of or onto. They didn't even do an Angle slam onto it - the stretcher was just there for a finish tease and the finish and the match was better for it.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/42340-live-tna-impact-5-1-15-tv-report-hardcore-justice

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/wjigmod1vsv6p2i70ffh6o0lkm1nzcgv

Lucha Underground fans beware: the episode info for the next 2 weeks, at least on DirecTV, contains some pretty major spoilers. For example, the summary for Wednesday's episode gives away the result of the title match taking place on that same show.

As a casual viewer that doesn't know anything about NXT I must say I'm pretty happy to see the talent that's been coming up. Neville is impressive with how agile he can be - especially at how huge he is. Sami Zayn too. I never seen a flying DDT through the ropes like that in my life wow.

Yea, thank god Bill Demott taught Neville and Zayn and the other NXT guys how to be so great in the ring.
I sense sarcasm here.

Neville, Zayn, Balor, Itami, and Owens were all established well before NXT so I doubt ol' Bill Demott taught them much and probably left guys like them alone for the most part.

Zayn couldn't have had a better debut match though, say what you well about John Cena, but he put on a great match with Sami and made him look like a main event level star out of the gate.

I sense sarcasm here.

Neville, Zayn, Balor, Itami, and Owens were all established well before NXT so I doubt ol' Bill Demott taught them much and probably left guys like them alone for the most part.

Zayn couldn't have had a better debut match though, say what you well about John Cena, but he put on a great match with Sami and made him look like a main event level star out of the gate.
Yea, Demott had claimed that the reason Daniel Bryan was any good was because of his WWE training and not his Indy days.

Quote from Vince on the ESPN "We have a very rigid health and wellness policy*."

*Not stated that it doesn't apply to certain talents.

Just finished watching the ESPN item, it was really good. I wouldn't be aversed to more items with that level of quality. It was weird seeing people doing the "Yes sir" "No sir" thing with Trips. It has to be all the years of seeing the guy on TV as the character just skews seeing him behind the scenes. I liked the look at the NXT table, just seeing all the people they have pulled in for that staff down there is unreal. Never really payed much attention to that.

While I ultimately agree that DeMott did wrong and should have resigned (or possibly faced worse, e.g., criminal charges), a few things of note: Rose seems to legit like him. And any criticisms of the instructors at NXT have to note that we're not looking at a main event roster of teachers. Sure, DeMott was perpetual midcard at best (and even that feels too kind). But Norman Smiley, the New Age Outlaws, Skinner, and Terry Taylor aren't exactly people you'd buy a ticket to see, to borrow from Michael Hayes.

I'm just pointing out that NXT's "faculty" is about on par with him, career-wise. And noting that students may have not found him to be the worst person ever does not condone what he was accused of doing. In other words, spare me your strawmen.

Adam came out of that smelling like Roses (womp womp) - I really want to see him succeed for the sake of being a good dude. I'm just not sure I see it in the Adam Rose persona to do so.

Come on dude, I thought the NAO sucked (even in the 90s) but putting them on the level of Smiley and Skinner is pretty off-base. They were easily one of the top 5 or 6 most popular acts during the company's most popular period. Being a step below Austin/Rock/Taker/Foley/Hunter ain't exactly something to be ashamed of.

I have to disagree here. I am pretty damn sure some of those NAO vs Funk/Foley matches actually did put some assess in some seats. Those matches were epic, and it was a very good storyline in all honesty. 

Norman Smiley on the other hand, is one hell of a wrestler, and had a good comedic gimmick going, but I am sure nobody really bought a ticket just to see The Big Wiggle, where I am pretty sure a NAO/Funk&Foley match prolly did sell some.

Trust me I definitely didn't delete the email. I was expecting to get it and just never received anything but the emoijis. My only guess as to why I didn't receive it was that my membership lapsed for a day when I had to get a new credit card due to fraud and it just happened between getting the new card and canceling the old one, my membership came up for renewal and it ended up lapsing for a day. Either way it's not a huge deal and the reason I hate that they keep making the Network free all the time, the Network is something I'll always pay for though it's a no brainier if your a wrestling fan.
If you use gmail, check your promotions folder

Impact thoughts -

Loved the EC3-Anderson match. It was short, but each guy looked great with EC3's delayed backdrop being really impressive. MVP-Drew was fine. Could've done without MVP's race-baiting promo beforehand. LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE STORM-MICKIE-MAGNUS ANGLE! Dollhouse vs. Gail/Kong was fun. Boy does Robert Irvine ever look like Batista. The Wolves/Dirty Heels promo was great and I liked Drew trying to get Matt into his group.

Great segment with Angelina and Velvet too. I initially feared a Winter 2.0 bit with Velvet being stoic, but they've played it off as her just being selectively nuts when provoked. EY vs. Kurt was excellent and I loved that they didn't do the obvious thing and have Bully turn heel. Instead, he was fair and actually did what he said he'd do. This might've been the best Impact on DA - everything about it was either really good or was really good and built up the future.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/42452-tna-impact-wrestling-5-8-15-live-coverage-ey-vs-angle-world-title

Screens - 

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/ldalriq07srgui5wi6zmjq2l8ccjijm3

Looks really good! Only input, coming from a fellow modeler: I'd add some surface wear beyond just the edges of the tables, and tone the wear on the edges back a bit. Those tables are shit quality in real life, so anything that'd wear down the edges that bad would damn near destroy the table. Also not sure what kind of lighting if any is in the render, but folding tables like this typically have that weird polish on the top that give them a sheen. Adding that here would really bring out the spots with the wear and scuffs, where we wouldn't see the sheen.
Thanks for the pointers! We'll do another pass on the table. The artist who is working on this is actually hired full time by some defense contract company doing VR for them and because she isn't a fan we end up missing details like this. Thank you for pointing them out. I'm super excited by how it's going and both Matt Young and you are influential in keeping us motivated.

A few more 'The Squared Circle' updates. Our User Interface:

NUuq2U4.png

Dasher Hatfield

S9fjXpa.png

2Z9Lq88.png

ruvGhkR.png

I'm not sure I like his expression but I'm pretty happy with the skin tone and overall look of the character otherwise. I'm thinking of making him look meaner and more ready to fight than so robotic. Apart from that do you guys have any crits?

Ok so I finally caught up on the "Behind the Curtains" ESPN special on NXT. Great documentary. I've always enjoyed the ESPN docs - great production value. One glaring mistake with the show to me was how they left it off with Corey Graves (sp?). They talked about his concussion problems and then during the credits sequence all they mentioned was how he was doing commentary work for NXT/WWE. Did I miss his retirement segment? The last thing I recall was them showing him on the phone to tell his wife, "there's been some news." They teased it and I don't remember anything else after that since they went back to Adam Rose. I never knew about Adam's kid. Amazing story. I'm rooting for the guy now.

Can somebody go over what was with the "abusive behavior" Bill Demott was forced to resign over?

I never got anything but emojis either.
Same here and I did check my promotions folder.

Ok so I finally caught up on the "Behind the Curtains" ESPN special on NXT. Great documentary. I've always enjoyed the ESPN docs - great production value. One glaring mistake with the show to me was how they left it off with Corey Graves (sp?). They talked about his concussion problems and then during the credits sequence all they mentioned was how he was doing commentary work for NXT/WWE. Did I miss his retirement segment? The last thing I recall was them showing him on the phone to tell his wife, "there's been some news." They teased it and I don't remember anything else after that since they went back to Adam Rose. I never knew about Adam's kid. Amazing story. I'm rooting for the guy now.

Can somebody go over what was with the "abusive behavior" Bill Demott was forced to resign over?
DeMott was accused of hazing rookies in developmental. A bunch of allegations came out from current and past developmental talent regarding DeMott a few months ago.

Yea you missed a huge chunk of the Graves story. What happened was he got another concussion (3rd one I believe in under a year) so HHH pulled him aside and said he was done as an in ring competitor but offered him a 2 year deal to become a commentator for NXT.

Elimination chamber on  WWE NETWORK only   May 31,,, wonder if this will be a stand alone event or a pure   3 hour  PPV type match

Payback sounds like its going to sucks it just the same matches from last month PVP.. maybe that is why 2 PPV in may they know  payback is going to suck big time.

Wasnt cena already in a   I QUIT MATCH,  He passed out

Elimination chamber on WWE NETWORK only May 31,,, wonder if this will be a stand alone event or a pure 3 hour PPV type match

Payback sounds like its going to sucks it just the same matches from last month PVP.. maybe that is why 2 PPV in may they know payback is going to suck big time.

Wasnt cena already in a I QUIT MATCH, He passed out
This whole p[ost made my 420 go away........

Say what you will about Cena, but his match v Neville was fucking excellent (and the finish was perfectly appropriate).

ROH/NJPW show tomorrow, with a main event of The Briscoes vs Okada and Nakamura. So excited to go, but that meant not going to see NXT this Thursday, sadly.

Say what you will about Cena, but his match v Neville was fucking excellent (and the finish was perfectly appropriate).

ROH/NJPW show tomorrow, with a main event of The Briscoes vs Okada and Nakamura. So excited to go, but that meant not going to see NXT this Thursday, sadly.
I think you made the right choice. NXT is great and all, but Okada and Nakamura vs. The Briscoes....... :boxing:

Couldn't turn down cheapies to NXT, so I'm going tonight, too. What a fuckin' great week for wrestling.

I snagged a few coupons on Tuesday for NJPW World. I have two left for a complimentary 3 month subscription.

Shoot me a PM if you REALLY REALLY want one.

Anyone else notice the hilarious post-recording edit in the Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens promo? It wasn't even a little bit subtle. Kinda worked with the bit where Owens talks about him being injured at the end, at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwU0VZvhSNU

NXT was pretty good last night - I dug the venue, the matches were decent, and Sasha Banks and Charlotte had a really good match to end the show.

Good setup for tonight, though sadly I'm headed out of town so I'm missing out. The way they're hyping it, I'm actually half expecting Balor to win the NXT title tonight - even with their Takeover special next Wednesday.

Good lord almight, Baron Corbin makes Roman Reigns look like Ric Flair. Maybe he has potential in the ring, but for right now they need to keep him off entirely. "Green as grass" doesn't begin to describe how awful he is. No moves, no pace, just punches, kicks, and a weird finisher that doesn't really seem quite there.

Enzo and Big Cass are so.fucking.over though. I feel they're a bit like The Sandman, though: people want to see their entrance more than their matches. Which is a shame - big giant guy and chickenshit smacktalker tag teams are a pretty brilliant way to work.

ECW is dead. Long live ECW. The crowd chanted *once* for ECW - not when Joey Styles was introduced, not when Mick Foley was introduced - only when Rhino came out. There were more NXT chants - in Philadelphia - than ECW chants. Pretty astonishing. Not as astonishing as a crowd of 90% smart marks popping and bowing for Triple H.

Highlight of the night: WWE *hates* three-way matches, and you can see they book them to focus on one-on-one segments more often than not. In this case, Owens decided he was going to go sit down for the first few minutes of a three-way b/w him, Tyler Breeze and Finn Balor. This led to a "CHILL OWENS CHILL" chant. Loved it.

The show began with a vague video package about Hardcore War before Kurt and EY cut an annoying back and forth promo. EY will team with the BDC against Kurt, The Rising, and Lashley in something called Hardcore War. I have zero problems with Brooke stretching backstage. Fun little match with her and Rebel facing Marti and Jade. Heels win and swear more vengeance on Gail. Anderson-Tyrus wasn't much, but the announcer banter let us know that Brodus Clay was Tyrus's WWE name due to Tyrus coaching Snoop's son. BBQ Pitmasters brawl between Abyss and Magnus was a thing.

Wolves vs. Dirty Heels was quite good, but hurt by the commentary focusing on stats and not the action. I dug Gail running wild against the whole Dollhouse and then the entire Robbie E-Jessie thing was great. They started it with each guy feeling a bit like a geek, but by the end of it, Jessie was a violent jerk and Robbie was a sympathetic babyface who got three fair wins in a row. Hardcore War was a fun cluster of a match. For literally the third time in four months, they've tried to rebuild EY as as a serious main event-level heel and tonight, they did it having him beat a man up with someone else's artificial leg.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/42567-tna-impact-wrestling-5-8-15-tv-report-hardcore-war

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/bu78tbg0evnzyc4nsyq89s0dsklu2qke

bread's done
Back