Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

The only way to explain how R-Trizzle is used is that Vince McMahon believes in some sort of pagan ritual involving the weekly sacrifice of a black man to the wrestling gods.

Wondering if this is telling that Destination America is giving TNA the boot from the channel.  They just announced that they adding Ring of Honor starting June 3rd.   It's supposed to air an hour before TNA's show does.  But it doesn't mention if this is the same show that Sinclair Broadcasting airs on their stations.

It'd be kinda funny if Destination America replaces TNA with ROH.  But it would definitely be better for viewers though.

To recap today's events so far, Lucha Underground has signed some sort of a new deal with Univision.

ROH is coming to Destination America as a lead-in for Impact. Presently, it will just be tapes of their existing shows that are in the can.

TNA had a press tour scheduled and canceled it, but they have a company-wide conference call soon.

After that, there's Wrestling Observer Live with Bryan Alvarez and Mike Sempervive to go over today's events, and then Dave Metlzer and Bryan Alvarez will be covering the events with some breaking news audio.

For some comedy, here's the F4W board thread about the ROH on DA deal - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184144

WOL news -

ROH-DA deal has been in the works for months.

ROH show will be the previous week's show airing on DA.

DA likes the viewership that wrestling gets, but isn't happy with the ad rates that TNA gets them.

ROH's deal time isn't fully known, but it's believed to be until the end of the year.

ROH is happy with the deal because this lets them expand the reach of the ROH deal beyond Sinclair markets.

ROH feels like they won't be able to use Joe - but WWE hasn't told them anything yet. They have a plan to use him or to not use him.

DA has no say in ROH's creative direction.

Bryan's heard things about TNA and DA in the past, but wasn't really sure about them until today...and they may or may not involve "certain e-mails".

Thanks to this deal, NJPW gets to be on both AXS TV and Destination America.

ROH is officially the number 2 promotion in the US between DA and their syndication deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
To recap today's events so far, Lucha Underground has signed some sort of a new deal with Univision.

ROH is coming to Destination America as a lead-in for Impact. Presently, it will just be tapes of their existing shows that are in the can.

TNA had a press tour scheduled and canceled it, but they have a company-wide conference call soon.

After that, there's Wrestling Observer Live with Bryan Alvarez and Mike Sempervive to go over today's events, and then Dave Metlzer and Bryan Alvarez will be covering the events with some breaking news audio.

For some comedy, here's the F4W board thread about the ROH on DA deal - http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=184144

WOL news -

ROH-DA deal has been in the works for months.

ROH show will be the previous week's show airing on DA.

DA likes the viewership that wrestling gets, but isn't happy with the ad rates that TNA gets them.

ROH's deal time isn't fully known, but it's believed to be until the end of the year.

ROH is happy with the deal because this lets them expand the reach of the ROH deal beyond Sinclair markets.

ROH feels like they won't be able to use Joe - but WWE hasn't told them anything yet. They have a plan to use him or to not use him.

DA has no say in ROH's creative direction.

Bryan's heard things about TNA and DA in the past, but wasn't really sure about them until today...and they may or may not involve "certain e-mails".

Thanks to this deal, NJPW gets to be on both AXS TV and Destination America.

ROH is officially the number 2 promotion in the US between DA and their syndication deals.
Where in the hell is anything said about NJPW in any of this?

I really am wondering what's going to become of TNA now.
Hopefully it finally dies.

At points throughout their life, they had some of the best talent in the world. Almost every single time they fucked it up.

They had their chances and don't deserve any more. Let ROH get the opportunity. Let Lucha Underground expand. Season 1 of LU has shown more promise than TNA has in 10 years. Let that soak in.

Hopefully it finally dies.

At points throughout their life, they had some of the best talent in the world. Almost every single time they fucked it up.

They had their chances and don't deserve any more. Let ROH get the opportunity. Let Lucha Underground expand. Season 1 of LU has shown more promise than TNA has in 10 years. Let that soak in.
I agree that TNA has botched many a talent that have worked for the company over the years, but they have also created some great talent in the process. TNA has also had some excellent matches, especially during the early days. The X Division was the at one point the hottest division in wrestling and the Ultimate X match is one of the more original match ideas to come along in years. As a wrestling fan I would hate to see TNA die and if you are a true fan of professional wrestling you would also hope for the best. If TNA goes under people will lose their jobs and the wrestling business isn't exactly the easiest place to make a decent living these days. A lot of those guys would obviously be picked up by other companies and do just fine on the indies, but at the end of the day a company going out of business is bad for the entire industry.

The only way to explain how R-Trizzle is used is that Vince McMahon believes in some sort of pagan ritual involving the weekly sacrifice of a black man to the wrestling gods.
I Think of it more like Vince has been putting R-Truth in matches because he thinks he's Kofi and still doesn't pay attention to the tag division to realize he's in New Day.

Lesnar is going to be on a WWE house show in Tokyo at the beginning of July.

His opponent is Kofi Kingston. Better bring back that New Day choir for Kofi's funeral.

Guys, guys. This is important. If you run into Big Bully Busick at an autograph signing and take a photo with him, you get to wear his hat. My friend just showed me a photo from a while back.

Any views on if Ring of Honor is worth tossing down $20 (quarterly sub cost) to binge watch old programing? Never really watched any RoH but I know a lot of guys I really respect and enjoy like Austin Aries and Jay Lethal have floated through RoH at diferent points and I also LOVE the Brisco Brothers promos I have watched.

Seems a good time to finally pull the trigger with Destination American programing about to start. Looks like all their programing from 2011 to current programing is available too.

Edit - Also all NXT matches from start to current are on WWE network right? If I dont go for RoH tempted to watch those, was loving NXT for the bit I watched it....just hate to toss ANY money towards the WWE right now.

I have the ROH Ringside membership and I think it's worth every dollar.  Like you said, their weekly show is archived back to 2011 plus on top of that you have the VOD section which offers shows as far back as 2002, their inaugural year.  I absolutely recommend it.

Thank you both then I will def go with RoH and wait a bit on NXT then! I really do not get why in 2015 they cant make a network with a complete catalog :wall:

I Think all of NXT is on Hulu Plus from 2010 onward. The only downside is Hulu puts up NXT a day after it airs if you're impatient.

He's right about that. You may even be able to watch the old seasons of NXT (pre-developmental territory) on Hulu without a Plus subscription. It's been so long that I can't remember for certain.

I LOLed at EY getting a two camera shoot in his car. The brawl with Kurt was goofy, but short. Gail-Taryn wasn't much of a match, but I loved the post-match ring theft. X Title gauntlet was random, but I dug Spud regaining the gold. Loved the Mickie-Storm stuff - hopefully they keep them going as a heel duo because they have better chemistry than Mickie and Magnus. Wolves vs. Heels Match 2 was unreal. They did 8 billion things and 7.9 billion of them were great. Love-Velvet stuff was just awful. EC3 vs. Ken over-delivered, and EY vs. Kurt was nice too.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/42782-tna-impact-5-29-15-may-mayhem-tv-report-with-ey-angle-i-quit-match

Screens -

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qjtpg4ek9nzvk0kssmb46cxr5m8y7gwx

So Kevin Owens signed a main roster deal. It would be absolutely badass if he beat ace a clean this weekend, but that's never going to happen. Dude has the look and personality that could make for an awesome monster style character, but it won't help if his first big match is a loss to Cena.

Vince doesn't give a shit about that though, because Cena sells more shirts.

Thank you both then I will def go with RoH and wait a bit on NXT then! I really do not get why in 2015 they cant make a network with a complete catalog :wall:
Just to clarify my previous post, ROH's VOD section doesn't offer everything back to 2002, just some of it. However, there are also several other options under VOD as well, such as some shoots, compilations and various other video segments.

So Kevin Owens signed a main roster deal. It would be absolutely badass if he beat ace a clean this weekend, but that's never going to happen. Dude has the look and personality that could make for an awesome monster style character, but it won't help if his first big match is a loss to Cena.

Vince doesn't give a shit about that though, because Cena sells more shirts.
I'm not so cynical these days. A loss to Cena in your first non-NXT match, if done correctly, can put a motherfucker *over*.

Didn't Cena (or Orton?) end up getting the same kinda deal with Kurt Angle when they debuted? Some kind of "he fought with valor, and we're impressed with his skills - but in the end, he couldn't perform the impossible" match?

Look, Cena is not my favorite wrestler, but we gotta stop pretending like every time Cena wins it's the end of the fucking universe. It's a TV show. Can't we be excited that the WWE main event scene is peppered with ROH guys? Bryan for a few years, Rollins on top, Joe/Owens/Zayn on the periphery looking in?

I mean, WWE 2013-2015 is ROH 7-10 years go, and yet we still can't be happy? Goddammit, y'all. You're making me empathize with WWE here: y'all smart marks just *can't* be happy with *anything*.

I'm not so cynical these days. A loss to Cena in your first non-NXT match, if done correctly, can put a motherfucker *over*.

Didn't Cena (or Orton?) end up getting the same kinda deal with Kurt Angle when they debuted? Some kind of "he fought with valor, and we're impressed with his skills - but in the end, he couldn't perform the impossible" match?

Look, Cena is not my favorite wrestler, but we gotta stop pretending like every time Cena wins it's the end of the fucking universe. It's a TV show. Can't we be excited that the WWE main event scene is peppered with ROH guys? Bryan for a few years, Rollins on top, Joe/Owens/Zayn on the periphery looking in?

I mean, WWE 2013-2015 is ROH 7-10 years go, and yet we still can't be happy? Goddammit, y'all. You're making me empathize with WWE here: y'all smart marks just *can't* be happy with *anything*.
Orton was pretty much the same deal, but he was with Bob Holly.

I think the only thing that might make Owens a different situation is that he's coming in as a heel. They could possibly work it as he loses a hard-fought match, Cena goes to shake his hand to show him respect, and then Owens just loses it and beats the shit out of him.

I think the one thing we *can* predict is that, irrespective of the outcome, they're putting Kevin Owens over.

They're smart enough to see in him what we see in him (and also that we see it).

Wrestling ain't about the finish in 2015 is all I'm saying. 

They need to find Samoa Joe some entrance music pronto. Besides the non-copyright infringing horns at the beginning, that shit he comes out to now sounds like something they'd use for overdub music on a DVD.

Damn, I was just thinking that it was a lock Rollins would retain the title. Now I'm 99% sure instead of 100.

The reason I swayed a bit there, is because I think it would make more sense to promote the shit out of the network to have Ambrose win. That'd show people who don't have the network that they're really missing out.

I was right! :whee:

Owens showed why he belongs and Cena continued his best run in a very long time.
Don't worry, Cena will get his win back in two weeks. I guess they could do something where Joe shows up to cost him to let him save face, but I have my doubts since they had him pin Cena clean.

I mean, if I'm going to force myself to be optimistic I'll say that will then lead to a rubber match that Owens wins, but I guess that'll depend on whether this news about Owens now officially being on the main roster is accurate.

Owens should really win the next match if WWE wants to put this guy over as a monster threat right off the bat. Owens could be what Rusev was supposed to be since he's actually good in the ring and can talk.

I've never understood that shit.

Ref 1: "Heel champ is disqualified for hurting me!"
Ref 2: "It's cool. The jerk got pinned and lost his belt."
Ref 1: "Well give it back to him! He's disqualified!"

The ref should be happy that the guy who put him in harm's way received his comeuppance. It's not even that I thought Rollins should have dropped the title. But they ended an awesome show on such a disappointment.

Overall, the show was tremendous and made up for the lackluster NXT Takeover: Unstoppable. Wish Naomi would have won though, or at least not taken the fall yet again.

I was dressed as Dean Ambrose at the Momocon convention here in Atlanta today. I had a toy WWE belt and was telling people that I stole it from Seth Rollins. I feel like a soothsayer :p

I don't know... Owens seems to be Hunter's guy so why they'd push him so far and fast just to dump him wouldn't make much sense. Also I don't think Owens losing at MITB wouldn't really hurt him, it would just set it up for the feud to continue on until Summerslam.

If that was Owens's tryout match for the main roster he passed with flying colors. I think this was quite a bit better than his NXT matches. He also already has 4 shirts on the WWE Shop, so I'm sure they'll be looking at that. (One of which has the WWE logo on it as opposed to being blank or NXT)

bread's done
Back