Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Really upset about Dusty Rhodes. I've always been a huge fan of The American Dream and am really just in shock that he has passed away. I feel awful for Cody and Dustin as well, very sad day for the wrestling business. :(

Wow. Thats scary. Just the other week I saw Dusty on some interview or something and told my friend that he looked awful and I wouldnt be surprised if he were the next to die. I hate to be right. Very sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to believe that Vince is a few months older than Dusty. He will be missed, especially in NXT. I do expect Goldust to take the mentor role when he retires from the ring.

We just got one with Ambrose at the last PPV, didn't we? Whenever he ran off with the belt.

RIP, Dream, but if I *never* see a Dusty Finish again, it'll be too soon.

We just got one with Ambrose at the last PPV, didn't we? Whenever he ran off with the belt.

RIP, Dream, but if I *never* see a Dusty Finish again, it'll be too soon.
Exactly, I doubt they would pull the same finish twice. It was more of a joke considering they had just done one at Elimination Chamber.

Definitely going to be watching some Dusty vs. Flair stuff tonight after work though, one of my favorite feuds of all time.

I was still reeling from Christopher Lee dying. Losing Dusty to day was well was just twisting the knife.

Here's one of my favorite promos of his, and it still resonates today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9py4aMK3aIU

It's been so long but I recall watching Dusty doing his wind up with his hands followed by the bob and weave with his head before landing his haymakers.

RIP Dusty Rhodes

Saw this on the Botchamania facebook page :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WDaAkdl3d1I
Not only do I remember this, but my mom did this for my birthday. Instead of UT, I got a call from Razor Ramon and my mom attached a message at the end.

My first memory of Dusty Rhodes was in 1993 when I saw him and Dustin teaming up to face Bunkhouse Buck and Terry Funk in WCW. I didn't think much of him at the time until later when I saw and heard him as a commentator for WCW Saturday Night (when will WWE Network put that show up?) which was "comin at cha on the mothership". I didn't realize how important he was to the wrestling buisness until Dustin left WCW and became Goldust. It was then that I started to hear stories about hate between Dusty and Marlena and how it affected the father-son relationship. That was one of the (if not the) first times I found out about wrestlers working behind the scenes and promoting shows.

So even though I didn't follow Dusty's wrestling career in ring as it happened(Were the yellow polka dots ever explained?) I understand and respect what he's done for the business. RIP

RIP Dusty Rhodes.  I still love those WWF vignettes when he was coming in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdZACxrn6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6xx8qEIgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V2WCh_T744

Also, Best Buy has the Blu Rays and DVDs of Daniel Bryan and Jerry Lawler for 9.99 each.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wwe-daniel-bryan-just-say-yes-yes-yes-blu-ray-disc-2-disc/7166005.p?id=3354924&skuId=7166005&ref=199&loc=f7sX52tQY3I&acampID=1&siteID=f7sX52tQY3I-EXVj5Uuo9Zdls_B.BA4_9w

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wwe-its-good-to-be-the-king-jerry-lawler-story-blu-ray-disc/6301121.p?id=3354912&skuId=6301121&ref=199&loc=f7sX52tQY3I&acampID=1&siteID=f7sX52tQY3I-ZQbr5kQgo_RyF0769goJqg

I remember the Dusty Rhodes DVD set that played his theme when you pushed the button on the front of the package. Now I wish I had bought it.

I wasn't really familiar with him before his WWF run. Being 7 at the time, I was pretty enthralled with Hogan/Warrior, but I enjoyed his stuff with Savage, Sherri, and Sapphire. And then his feud with Dibiase. I loved listening to him on those Legends roundtables. On one of them, Foley did a dead-on Dusty voice and I laughed til it hurt. There was a Youtube video that popped up here recently of Foley's kid doing the famous Hard Times promo. Tough news. I'm still pretty stunned.

10 bell salute for Dusty at NXT tonight. Lots of BIonic elbows as well.

Banks/Lynch was MOTN  but the Breeze/Balor/Owens/Joe 4 way for the title to close the show  was almost as good. 

I had a great time. Definitely recommended. 

Dusty's death will be reversed on a technicality, resulting in the ultimate Dusty Finish.

What, too soon?

----

During his Common Man promos when he first went to WWF, he played a butcher in one of them.  I couldn't stop laughing when he said "Remember, you can beat my prices but you can't beat my meat!".

Yeah Yesterday was a rough day, As a horror fan I loved Christopher Lee and then damn I heard about Dusty Rhodes that was total heartbreak. RIP Dusty. Hopefully Stardust will get a push from this.

On a Happier Note. I'm going to NXT tonight and Raw on Monday Night. WWE is giving Ohio plenty of love this weekend. I thought about going to Money in the Bank, hell floor seats are still available. Its gonna be a good weekend.

These WWE Legends cartoon shirts are actually pretty decent. I don't know if I'd wear one of them myself, but I like the designs. 

http://shop.wwe.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-wwe-Site/default/Search-Show?q=cartoon&utm_source=WWE%20Shop&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Cartoon%20Ts&utm_content=Spot%20A&utm_campaign=MITB%20Tier%206.12.15%20US&utm_content=MITB%20Tier%206.12.15%20US&utm_content=2097825411

W09698.jpg

A framed print of this image would be pretty cool to hang in my basement.

I was saddened to hear about Dusty Rhodes doing the job for Jesus yesterday. Once again Dusty jobs for someone but still comes out looking strong in the end. God Bless and farewell.

I'd wear a few of those. Maybe my standards have declined.

That Four Horsemen shirt is great.

I'm smelling a Roman win, a Roman-assisted win for Ambrose and a Roman heel turn on Ambrose for said title to take Rollins spot in the Authority.

What I would love to have happen is to have an 8th entrant and have it be Finn Balor. Win or lose I think they love showing off his flashy entrance. 

Truth-Barrett was a waste of time. Loved the Dusty tribute - WWE absolutely shouldn't have had Renee even trying to do work when she was in tears. That was tough. Loved them having a Dusty tribute to start the show, although cutting off his theme for the MITB video sucked. Divas title match was a blend of good in-ring with bad booking and fine fanservice. Finish was unbelievably stupid though. Should've been a DQ after the clear interference, but whatever. LOLed @ Ryback's armbar, and the finish as it sets up Miz as being the one guy in WWE with a brain.

Cena vs. Owens was batshit crazy on several levels and a ton of fun. Title match was structurally fine, but I'd have kept the belts on New Day. At least Titus is really good as the hot tag guy - he is a highlight of their matches in the ring. WWE Title match was a crazy collection of spots with a new finish - not exactly a good finish, but one that protected Dean to some degree. Time for Dean to go on a lunatic binge.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/06/wwe-money-in-bank-2015.html

Screens -

LOL @ THE CENA THE

Go Nikki Go!

Paige has more junk in the trunk - I approve

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/5f1dw22gpe5bse9vmit8m91tfpdz57ya

That above scenario about Reigns getting the briefcase and then cashing in on Ambrose would have been a lot better than what we got. Not looking forward to what will probably be an Ambrose turn now - not that I don't want it eventually, but there's still stuff in the tank for the good guy role.

Wyatt getting to lose yet another feud is also not something I'm going to enjoy.

Those floor toss-powerbombs to Ambrose were fucking sick. His tailbone has to be screaming this morning.

Cena got his win back. Not surprising, although I'm not sure if I want Owens to stick around on the main roster now or just go back to  NXT. I'd probably say the latter, unfinished business with Joe and Balor is much more appealing to me than him fighting with Orton or whatever.

:sigh: Another Wade loss and another Cena win (couldn't even wait for WM to end Owens' undefeated streak).

Aside from that, I enjoyed Money in the Bank. The finish to Rollins-Ambrose was weird, but I liked both guys (rooting more for an Ambrose win) so it would have been difficult to make a bad match out of these two.

Cena got his win back. Not surprising, although I'm not sure if I want Owens to stick around on the main roster now or just got back to NXT. I'd probably say the latter, unfinished business with Joe and Balor is much more appealing to me than him fighting with Orton or whatever.
Owens is definitely main roster now. His new shirts are branded WWE and not NXT, it wouldn't make sense for him to vanish from the main roster after having the most interesting feud on the main roster with Cena right now. I'm thinking he will drop the NXT Title to Balor in Japan on July 4th and just be main roster going forward. Joe will be main-roster bound soon as well and Zayn will likely return as a member of the main roster to resume his feud with Owens.

Owens is definitely main roster now. His new shirts are branded WWE and not NXT, it wouldn't make sense for him to vanish from the main roster after having the most interesting feud on the main roster with Cena right now. I'm thinking he will drop the NXT Title to Balor in Japan on July 4th and just be main roster going forward. Joe will be main-roster bound soon as well and Zayn will likely return as a member of the main roster to resume his feud with Owens.
Yeah for sure. I can see that being the case. It's clear they're pushing him like crazy, especially since his first feud being with Cena. I'd obvious we'll see a Ownes Vs. Cena 3 at some point. But yeah Owens and Cena had the best match of the night.

Pace and result wise this was, in my opinion, the WORST MITB match ever. It was literally two guys fighting at a time while everyone else took a nap outside in shifts. Lame.

He is one of those super fans but I believe they are dating, not sure losers fits though. White Jacket is an alright guy, met him around town in Indy once and talked for a little bit. Never ran across BrockLesnarGuy but he seems to be alright as well.

I went to TNA when they did their first live impact tapings on the road in Chicago with Brock Lesnar Guy. Michael is a stand up dude, and wants to be a WWE referee one of these days. Made a decent Tough Enough audition tape also. Too bad the windy day ruined the sound on it.

I don't care if they're super fans and want to follow WWE wherever. That's fine. But when you have to make a spectacle of yourself and always wear the same outfit to get yourself over and get noticed by other fans, then you're a fucking loser.

I don't care if they're super fans and want to follow WWE wherever. That's fine. But when you have to make a spectacle of yourself and always wear the same outfit to get yourself over and get noticed by other fans, then you're a fucking loser.
Disco, baby. Disco.

You're a fan, you're not part of the product. "Getting yourself over" is akin to those "lookit me ma! ahm on tee-vee!" fuckfaces in the crowd of the Today show.

I see Green Lantern dude alla damned time at Philly wrestling shows. I have simultaneous contempt and pity for the dude. Pity for owning so many Green Lantern shirts, pity for having so little in life that being *recognized* as a wrestling superfan is clearly a way to overcome his insecurities elsewhere in life, pity because he's clearly lacking some meaning in his existence. Contempt because he's always been rude as fuck to staff; I can't count the # of times I've seen him act a shithead to whatever underpaid staff are working events at the ECW Arena. I've always thought that how you treat hourly-wage service staff is truly a testament to your personal character, and this guy clearly relishes in winning these faux micro-aggressive acts of power.

A few buddies of mine are superfans or work on the periphery of the industry (photogs, etc.). One has been photographing wrestling shows for years and is always careful to avoid standing out, getting in the way, or otherwise sopping heat away from the wrestlers. You can totally be a superfan and not a prick mark motherfucker.

that said, having seen these superfans, I wonder what kind of scratch these cats make to basically tour with WWE like they're hippies chasing The Dead around.

Don't forget about the Tye Dye Guy, back in the late 90s / early 00s I would see him at just about every WCW/ECW show in the southeast.  I guess these guys are loaded to be able to just travel to every PPV and sit ringside.

There's been a guy in the crowd for awhile holding up a sign that claims he's been to 30+ Pay-Per-Views in a row. He usually has pretty good seats on hard camera side. What do these people do for a living? That cannot be cheap, especially with WWE increasing the PPV count these days.

I'm sure one or two of them work hard just to pay for attending Wrestling events, but there must be a few others that have to be using inheritance money or something.

Don't forget about the Tye Dye Guy, back in the late 90s / early 00s I would see him at just about every WCW/ECW show in the southeast. I guess these guys are loaded to be able to just travel to every PPV and sit ringside.
Is that the guy with the "Tie Dye Guy" sign? Or the more modern incarnation, who looks like if Hulk Hogan abandoned all hope in life around age 17, but still somehow managed to live the gimmick?

i.e., the dude in the front row who makes this segment go from amazing to *magical*?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_DnRxJmhik

As cool as that segment was, the asshole side of my brain cannot process what Shelton's "plan" was after that springboard. Spots to propel yourself into a finisher or high spot and nothing else are just awkward for me to watch. 

I totally agree. But who the hell is that frank "the WWE clown" Loser she is always with? Is he one of those Crazy super Fans Like The Brock Lesnar guy and White Sport jacket Loser?
Sports jacket guy actually lives in the town over from me in Indiana. Dude also has WWE blinds to go along with his airbrushed sport jacket. I also see Brock Lesnar Guy around a lot as well, I believe he is from Chicago. His default Affliction shirt cracks me up, it's like he owns 40 of those shirts.

Having not read the spoilers, there's no way this match happens tonight. It's an NXT live wednesday (what do we call "PPVs" now?!?!) main event match.

Still, I always make sure to watch NXT, so I'm stoked anyway. One hour of the best pro wrestling on tee vee.

bread's done
Back