Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Summerslam: 15,702

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn: 15,589

...Would WWE really hold back 113 tickets just so NXT didn't outdraw Summerslam? I know that they were not selling anymore tickets to NXT, so that gate number seems kind of odd... Unless WWE had some kind of backstage experience thing or something at Summerslam, but not NXT or sold some luxury boxes at Summerslam, but not NXT.

That match made up for the WM letdown a year ago. Yes it was a dumb ending, and the only person who made a big deal out of Undertaker tapping for the first time ever (the dual pin/tap thing with Angle notwithstanding) was Heyman, which was a ridiculous thing to ignore. Regardless, it wasn't match of the year or anything but way better than I was expecting. Hope the inevitable third one can match it.

I really can't fathom why they think Undertaker being a heel at this stage is something that is going to hold up, but that sure seems to be the intent.

I wish Rollins was a better talker, he'd really be ready to be the company face.

Just like I feared when she was brought up, Sasha is fucking wasted on the main roster. If the writers ever stop being lazy with the girls and let the three teams break out into individuals ("Look, let's just have the Bellas, the good girls, and the ethnic chicks! That way we only have to worry about three characters.") she'd be a breakout star in no time.

Last edited by a moderator:
That finish was super dumb. Just setting up for another match.
This describes almost every match last night.

This was the first wrestling I've watched in close to 6 months (stopped just before Wrestlemania, couldn't take the Reigns push anymore) and nothing about it made me want to tune into Raw tonight except maybe the tag match and Rollins beating Cena.

By the way, has Cena's "I'm going to a dark place" ever worked out for him? He seems to fall back to some variation of that promo a lot lately and then ends up delivering same ol' Cena during the match anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
SummerSlam was solid and I liked that New Day regained the tag titles, Rollins winning with the help of John Stewart was great, and Taker and Brock was better than I expected it to be. Also glad Owens got the win over Cesaro as he needed it.

With that said NXT TakeOver blew SummerSlam out of the water! Bayley and Sasha had one of the best matches of the year, period! Solid card top to bottom. Liger looked great against Breeze, Vaudevillians with the tag title win was great, Apollo Crews looked impressive, but he thankfully didn't squash Perfect 10 Tye Dillinger. 

I also saw that IWGP Champ Okada was backstage, which is very cool. 

looks like hes choking on a chicken bone or something ... shows taker cant fight anymore all he can do is low blows

brock vs taker 3 sometime in the future hell in a cell.
Na, they already had a great Hell in Cell match. Very brutal. I doubt fragile Undertaker could live up to that one. I hope this "controversial" victory is more a transition away from Brock and into something with Sting. Something where the match itself relies more on gimmicks than actual wrestling since Undertaker cant go anymore, and Sting never was any good in the ring to begin with.

NXT continues to make the main WWE product look like garbage, well WWE main product does that by itself, but NXT exposes it even more and shows how wrestling can still be good. I hope some of WWE 2k16s 120 person roster includes most of the NXT stars.

Na, they already had a great Hell in Cell match. Very brutal. I doubt fragile Undertaker could live up to that one. I hope this "controversial" victory is more a transition away from Brock and into something with Sting. Something where the match itself relies more on gimmicks than actual wrestling since Undertaker cant go anymore, and Sting never was any good in the ring to begin with.

NXT continues to make the main WWE product look like garbage, well WWE main product does that by itself, but NXT exposes it even more and shows how wrestling can still be good. I hope some of WWE 2k16s 120 person roster includes most of the NXT stars.
2K16 has quite a bit of NXT stars in it and surely we will get an additional 3 or 4 as DLC.

Only good thing to come out of that match

gOQAggG.gif
When this happened I laughed way to loud and woke up my daughter. This actually cracked me up more than Big E and his rediculous dancing lol.

No real opinion either way on the other matches, but Rollins vs Cena, Wyatts vs Reigns/Ambrose, and Lesnar vs Undertaker were worth sitting through the rest. Rollins and Cena have always put on great matches together, but last night was probably their best. Huge pop when Rollins did Cena's rollthrough into the AA. I wish they'd unchain him from the Authority because I think he'd do fine on his own.

I think angry old man Undertaker would work a lot better if they didn't dye his hair.
I agree, I prefer the mohawk look he sported a few years ago. I honestly at this point wouldn't mind a return of the biker gimmick, it works better with his old age and he can get to ring a hell of a lot faster on a motorcycle!

Sting since TNA can only go about 5 minutes before being winded and after Wrestlemania that remains true. On paper the match sounds good, in practice I imagine Rollins having to sell at almost HBK-Hogan levels.

The crowd took a dump on the women's tag match last night and the Bellas complained about it on social media. I can kinda see how they might see some latent sexism in it (after all, it's not as if the 8-man tag wasn't a throwaway match where the crowd could hijack to get themselves over), but I'm also not sure that bringing up the NXT wrestlers they did has really "revolutionized" the division just yet.

I thought it was disrespectful too, but the booking was pretty bad. How many times can you have the same tag team diva's match? Heck that crowd saw the same match the day before minus one team.

I thought it was disrespectful too, but the booking was pretty bad. How many times can you have the same tag team diva's match? Heck that crowd saw the same match the day before minus one team.
Exactly! This is why putting all the girls together in teams was a bad move. They are all stronger as individuals and when you throw them into these large tag matches each week not only is it boring, but the quality of the performances aren't nearly as good. I'm hoping they start splitting up the teams sooner rather than later and as soon as Nikki beats the record for longest reign she will hopefully drop the belt to someone who is much more talented than her who will drop the belt in the trash and bring out a proper Women's title. Getting rid of that horrid Diva's belt is step one to making the division have the legitimate feel that it does in NXT.

I dont see a problem with Sting getting a title shot. Yea, hes 0-1 in WWE. Here's a newsflash though, pro wrestling isnt an actual sport where you have to win so many matches to get a title shot. They, in theory, try to put on a match that will draw the most people in. Would you rather Sheamus get the title shot?

Will you also be complaining when the Dudley Boys get a tag team title shot?

Im not a huge Sting fan, but Sting is more of a draw than Seth Rollins even at this point in his career. Sting getting a title shot is only fair after how they shit all over him at WrestleMania for his debut.

Don't be dumb. The dudleys have an established place in WWE history. Sting has literally done nothing and there are about 10 guys who would be more enticing than a 73 year old with face paint on.

I mean fuck, the dude managed to sweat through most of his face paint while just standing there waiting to be revealed.

Maybe Vince is getting sentimental at 70. There are lots of guys that deserved to hold the WWE World Championship, but never did and died. Sting definitely is deserving of a run, but I don't think that's what they're going for here. Rollins facing Sting helps him more than Cesaro, Cena, Sheamus or Orton.

The match won't be long, it won't be the main event and it will make it easier for Rollins to defend two titles at Night of Champions.

At this point in his career Sting is more of an attraction than a wrestler and it could help build for Sting v Undertaker at Wrestlemania 32. I don't know, but I do agree that it's definitely an odd choice given that he's 56.

Like I said, Sting is not my favorite guy. Read my past posts you will know I dont think he can wrestle, nor have I ever thought he could. This is a guy who anytime he is in the spotlight he chokes. Biggest match of WCWs history vs Hogan and he cannot even show up in shape. With that said he is still more over than most of WWEs roster.

This isnt exactly main eventing WrestleMania, or even a remotely big show. Hell, I had to go look to see which even name this one is. Its a big name vs a guy WWE is trying to build up. Rollins has a match with Sting helps Rollins get over more.

The Dudleys havent been in WWE for what, 10 years? Giving them a title shot after just reuniting and returning is the same thing as giving Sting a title shot. Yea Sting has done nothing in WWE, but now WWE acknowledges WCW and ECW as part of their history too. Giving a former 9 time world champion, more if you count TNA (which I do not), a title shot at Night of Champions is no big deal.

I can think of plenty of guys who I would rather watch wrestle Rollins, but the truth is other than Cena, Lesnar, Undertaker, none of the other guys will help build Rollins like being in their with a legend like Sting.

Maybe that's the point (that they were singled out by the crowd)? After all, Roman Reigns/Ambrose vs Wyatt/Harper, Barrett/Stardust vs Neville/and someone?, and the 8-mean were all, in some way, repeats of Summerslam matches as well as the previous weeks' buildup? There were a LOT of matches to ignore last night, so I can see the sensitivity to the women's match getting dumped on by the crowd (the same crowd who somehow think championing the NXT call-ups is equivalent to proudly supporting gender equality in wrestling).

Don't be dumb. The dudleys have an established place in WWE history. Sting has literally done nothing and there are about 10 guys who would be more enticing than a 73 year old with face paint on.

I mean fuck, the dude managed to sweat through most of his face paint while just standing there waiting to be revealed.
Bingo. Also, there are a number of top-card dudes to put in the ring with Rollins, while the tag-team division has a lot of tag teams, but few OVER tag teams. PTP are pretty over, but PTP/New Day has run its course. Lucha Dragons, Ascension, and Los Matadores - none of them have been developed, put in feuds, or explained to the crowd. So, thanks to creative, they're simply not going to be believable threats and less likely to be believable champions. Nobody is being "leapfrogged" in this case - the argument "why dudleys?" can be answered by looking at the WWE tag scene, wheras "why sting?" implicitly carries with it "...when there are so many better candidates?" Simply, they're not the same questions.

I think Sting in the WWE title picture is good. Like others have said like him or not Sting is a draw and Sting in the WWE is something we have  yet to see much of at all. For his age Sting is still in relatively good shape and can put on an entertaining match. Sting is a big name that can elevate a young guy and he has no problem doing this, his run in TNA is proof as he put over numerous guys including current champion EC3 before departing from the company. 

The Dudley Boys are a different, but similar story. They have a history in WWE and are the most decorated tag-team in the history of professional wrestling and I believe they are the only team to ever hold the ECW, WWE, WCW, IWGP and TNA tag-team titles. They are tag-team legends without a doubt and will elevate any team who they oppose. 

Listen, I'd have no problem with Sting getting a title shot if he came out every week, had a few matches, and actually put in some work. The Dudleys will do that. Sting is going to maybe show up on one more raw before NoC, then lose a 10 minute slow as fuck dontgotoohardbecausehemightthrowahip match, and then be gone until Wrestlemania.

Actually he'll probably win and we'll be expected to believe that a guy who just celebrated his 100th birthday and was worn out just standing in a box for 10 minutes can compete with Rollins. That makes your current champ look real awesome.

I get it, but I don't think there's going to be a real match in the traditional sense. Rollins is being cheered by too many people right now, so he needs to go Super Heel like he did with Edge. Sting will have a some segments leading up to Night of Champions, Seth will "take him out" (until Wrestlemania) and people will boo Seth again.

Listen, I'd have no problem with Sting getting a title shot if he came out every week, had a few matches, and actually put in some work. The Dudleys will do that. Sting is going to maybe show up on one more raw before NoC, then lose a 10 minute slow as fuck dontgotoohardbecausehemightthrowahip match, and then be gone until Wrestlemania.

Actually he'll probably win and we'll be expected to believe that a guy who just celebrated his 100th birthday and was worn out just standing in a box for 10 minutes can compete with Rollins. That makes your current champ look real awesome.
Having Sting appear on TV every week would be stupid. Not only would it make Sting appearances mean nothing, but we'd get a bunch of meaningless feuds and poor quality matches out of it. Sting can put on a decent match, but he can't consistently put on good matches and has no place being on TV every week. The Dudleys are a different story, they are younger and can both still go. Sting is an attraction, just like Lesnar and The Undertaker. Sting feuding with Rollins is a great way to establish Rollins ever more as the companies top heel and like or not Sting brings a lot of old fans back into the fold. He's an attraction and the one guy who has never really had that WWE run, he's also one of the only guys from his era who is not only still alive, but that can still get in the ring and have a match at all.

Another reason that crowd shat on the divas match:

No Sasha Banks. Crowd turned because they didn't get everything they wanted. Pretty spoiled if you ask me.

BTW, that was a good showing from Stephen Amell on Sunday. I take it they are setting up a Stardust-Arrow solo match next with Wade out of the way.

And obviously Sting is going to show up again to explain his actions. Brock's been making more and more appearances and it certainly hasn't ruined his image.

Also I don't think New Day on Raw with the trombone is getting enough attention. Of all the dumb amazing things Xavier Woods has said or done, playing taps when Big E went for the pin maybe one of the greatest things ever.

Sting in a one-off with Rollins is fine. It's spectacle over substance, but that's fine as long as it's not the norm.

And if I was under a black sheet with stage lighting hitting it the whole time, with not much air circulating, I'd probably "sweat through my face paint" as well.

The Dudleys are awful. I pray New Day relentlessly mocks them for using "whaaazapp." In Two Thousand fucking Fifteen.

Bingo. Also, there are a number of top-card dudes to put in the ring with Rollins, while the tag-team division has a lot of tag teams, but few OVER tag teams. PTP are pretty over, but PTP/New Day has run its course. Lucha Dragons, Ascension, and Los Matadores - none of them have been developed, put in feuds, or explained to the crowd. So, thanks to creative, they're simply not going to be believable threats and less likely to be believable champions. Nobody is being "leapfrogged" in this case - the argument "why dudleys?" can be answered by looking at the WWE tag scene, wheras "why sting?" implicitly carries with it "...when there are so many better candidates?" Simply, they're not the same questions.
You and the professor seemingly just dont get the wrestling business. Sure, they could throw Cesaro in a match with Rollins at NoC and give us a good match (maybe he will defend his US title against him as well) but it doesnt give Rollins the rub that a quick program with a legend will. So saying that someone is being leapfrogged over for Sting is stupid. The only other guys who would give the same rub to Rollins would be Cena, Lesnar, and Taker. We have already seen two of those. And if it were the Undertaker you would have to cry the same way because he only wrestles once or twice a year as well.

It doesnt matter what the rest of the division looks like. There are 12+ (former) PPV events a year for the other younger talent to get a match with Rollins. Having one of them given to a former champion, when Rollins will also most likely be wrestling TWO matches that night is hardly a big deal at all. Rollins can lose his US title to whomever, and then go beat up Sting and get his heat. Rollins is better off for it and then when he does fight whatever guys you prefer both of them are better off.

New Day fighting Dudleys is the SAME thing as Rollins vs Sting. Both would be to give a new talent a rub from legends in the business. You need to build the new talent by having them face the old guys. Neither the Dudleys nor Sting can give great matches, its their name that is the value here.

As for being a "believable threat" (see, I can use quotations too!) you have to be kidding. This is pro wrestling. You think a decrepit Undertaker is a believable threat to Brock Lesnar? Is Daniel Bryan a believable threat to anyone? Not really. This is make believe. Thats what makes it entertaining. Shawn Michaels was not a believable threat to ANYONE but hes is one of the greatest of all time.

Oof. Someone can't be even the slightest bit courteous when they disagree, can they? Try simply disagreeing and making points instead of being a fucking asshole about it, and perhaps people will engage with you more.

The things I discover when I click to show a post of someone on my ignore list that reveal just why I ignored them in the first place.

I can get behind it being fine, as KaneRobot notes. It can be both fine and stealing a spot from someone else, right? They world is not a binary.

To a WWE Universe™ where TNA doesn't exist, Sting last won a wrestling match in 2001 or thereabouts. Maybe if HHH put the fuckin' guy over at WM, he'd have some modicum of momentum on his side instead of being an old sideshow act (even if he still have some speed for his age).

Honestly, this is probably amazing for Rollins - think about how amped a young guy must be to get to work with a legend (even if the crowd isn't into it).

I'm fine with Sting going for the belt in one of the off PPVs. It's better than throwing Kane, Orton, or Show in there. However, if they were going this way, Sting's Wrestlemania match is even more short-sighted now than it was then.

I suppose that's an ancillary point - if you're gonna give a guy a title match, at least have him *win* a goddamned match in your promotion first.

By the way, has Cena's "I'm going to a dark place" ever worked out for him? He seems to fall back to some variation of that promo a lot lately and then ends up delivering same ol' Cena during the match anyway.
He's been using a shitty springboard stunner for a while now.

A couple more dark place speeches and I figure he'll bring out a shitty side slam or superkick

Hardys-EC3 stuff sucked at the beginning and then the ERIC YOUNG THE BADASS video didn't exactly help matters. EY-Melendez sucked. Uno did what he does best - have a match that made no waves or memorable impression on the audience while retaining a title no one cares about. Tag title match wasn't much - although everything with Manik was good. Brooke vs. Velvet was okay, I guess. Lots of Brooke's ass. Can't go wrong with the cheesecake video either, and Rebel joining the Dollhouse is a good move. She still gets to be on TV, and Crazzy Steve doesn't.

The main event talking segment was something else. We got Dixie Carter giving a lecture on running a successful business, Jeff Jarrett saying that hard work made TNA successful in the past (but not the present), DETECTIVE DREW GALLOWAY using his criminology degree to logically solve a case in pro wrestling, and then the GFW roster beating down TNA's roster of goobers to close the show. 

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/100-tna/44261-tna-impact-august-26-results-a-recap-four-way-no-1-contenders-match-for-kotm-title

Screens - 

UP NEXT - ONE OF THESE TWO THINGS.

The T&A of TNA

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/67bggme2dm5h61qjuytqvuj5a3dup93v

The crowd took a dump on the women's tag match last night and the Bellas complained about it on social media. I can kinda see how they might see some latent sexism in it (after all, it's not as if the 8-man tag wasn't a throwaway match where the crowd could hijack to get themselves over), but I'm also not sure that bringing up the NXT wrestlers they did has really "revolutionized" the division just yet.
The division won't have any revolution as long as they're still referred to as "Divas" (and with the show, that's not going away any time soon) and the focus is on models that were brought in and then trained as an after thought. Hopefully in a few years there will be enough NXT talent brought up to shed some of the dead weight of the division, but the Total Divas show will dictate large segments of the story telling. As it is, it just seems like they split everyone into 3 teams so it's the equivalent of having to write about only 3 people feuding. There's not a lot of motivation (all the tag team matches means no one is gunning for Nikki's belt) or storytelling involved.

I also dislike how much Stephanie has put herself front and center of this thing (I know, a McMahon trying to hog the spotlight?) especially after she was the one receiving a lot of the criticism. The only way to see someone like Sara Del Rey getting props for her work is by digging through HHH's instagram account.

Had that match been a Bayley-Sasha Banks rematch I think you would have seen that the reaction had nothing to do with women being in the ring.

And I honestly missed the buildup to the match and only saw the last part of it, but I'm guessing "we're just interrupting your Miz TV segment" followed by what looked like a lackluster match didn't help win the crowd over.

Maybe that's the point (that they were singled out by the crowd)? After all, Roman Reigns/Ambrose vs Wyatt/Harper, Barrett/Stardust vs Neville/and someone?, and the 8-mean were all, in some way, repeats of Summerslam matches as well as the previous weeks' buildup? There were a LOT of matches to ignore last night, so I can see the sensitivity to the women's match getting dumped on by the crowd (the same crowd who somehow think championing the NXT call-ups is equivalent to proudly supporting gender equality in wrestling).
Oh, I don't disagree. I hate it when the crowd does that shit to the divas. Nikki has every right to be pissed off, hell I was pissed off when they started those stupid chants.

However, my frustration comes from the fact that the divas can get over. Sasha Banks v Bayley was a great match and people loved it. Saturday was Triple H's night and his booking was simple. He gave the ladies a stage to shine and they killed it. Monday was Vince's night and he gave the crowd the same damn match the night before. Not only that, but them fighting made no sense because the obvious next step is for PCB to figure out who is going to challenge Nikki for the Championship, not fight Team Bella again for no reason.

It's not like you had different crowds. It was mostly the same people who cheered the ladies on Saturday and shit on them on Monday. Yes, the crowd deserves the blame for being assholes, but Vince shares in it for giving them something that didn't advance the story. Yes, the crowd is harder on the divas, which is wrong. However, they usually don't get many matches so each one they do get has to count. The talent pool that Vince has to work with is probably better than Hunter's, but Hunter puts on better diva's matches because he treats them like any other match and not simply an attraction.

I also truly believe that Hunter could have easily closed the show with Sasha Banks v Bayley for the NXT Women's Championship as opposed to Balor v Owens and people would have been just as happy. Heck, I did see people on Saturday saying that the Women's Championship match should have ended the show on Social Media.

bread's done
Back