Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

[SIZE=medium]So can you guys explain to me why Shane is back?  I thought he left WWE about 15 years ago to pursue his own business adventures.  I remember reading some article about how he wanted to break away from Vince’s shadow and not do anything wrestling related.  Did his business fail?  Is that why he’s working on WWE again? I got the sense long time ago that when he was gone he was done with wrestling.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So can you guys explain to me why Shane is back? I thought he left WWE about 15 years ago to pursue his own business adventures. I remember reading some article about how he wanted to break away from Vince’s shadow and not do anything wrestling related. Did his business fail? Is that why he’s working on WWE again? I got the sense long time ago that when he was gone he was done with wrestling. [/SIZE]
He was the CEO of You OnDemand, which is a pretty big VOD and Streaming service in China. He stepped down in 2013 from his position as CEO, but I am sure he still owns stake in You OnDemand and is involved in the company a different role. Wrestling is in Shane's blood and I would imagine that there is a lot of reality in some of the promos he is cutting right now regarding wanting to pass the company down to his sons one day and keep the business ran by the men of the McMahon family.

I know he was also involved with a sports agency because I remember him being seen on TV with some golfer.

Maybe Vince wants to pull a Dr. Buss and leave the company to all of his kids. Maybe Shane is done doing his own thing and wants back in. Maybe they were just desperate to fill the card.

He was the CEO of You OnDemand, which is a pretty big VOD and Streaming service in China. He stepped down in 2013 from his position as CEO, but I am sure he still owns stake in You OnDemand and is involved in the company a different role. Wrestling is in Shane's blood and I would imagine that there is a lot of reality in some of the promos he is cutting right now regarding wanting to pass the company down to his sons one day and keep the business ran by the men of the McMahon family.
I kind of think he's coming back to get the WWE into China. They currently don't have much of a presence there aside from some local stations airing Raw. I think they'd have a hard time getting the WWE Network into China, but they could bypass that by using You OnDemand.

I kind of think he's coming back to get the WWE into China. They currently don't have much of a presence there aside from some local stations airing Raw. I think they'd have a hard time getting the WWE Network into China, but they could bypass that by using You OnDemand.
Excellent idea. Plus desperation to fill the card of course.

I know he was also involved with a sports agency because I remember him being seen on TV with some golfer.
Maybe Vince wants to pull a Dr. Buss and leave the company to all of his kids. Maybe Shane is done doing his own thing and wants back in. Maybe they were just desperate to fill the card.
Yeah his agency represented Rory McIllroy when he won the U.S Open a few years ago. As far as I know Shane has been very successful since venturing out on his own so I don't think he's coming back out of desperation.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Wrestlemania with Shane and Taker, it's going to be an interesting one for sure. It seems this Wrestlemania is going to have to do some big things as I don't really have much interest in most of the matches. Though I am excited for Shane & taker, Ambrose and Lesnar, Owens and everyone he has to face, and of course New Day hopefully keeping the tag titles. 

Some weird paradoxical truths:

1) This year's card is the drizzling shits, top to bottom.

2) You're still kinda excited about the weekend. Wrestlemania has been, long term, promoted to be THEE event of the year. You're making plans w your friends (or thinking about it). NXT Friday, something on Saturday (two Chikara shows for me), WM all day Sunday. Maybe you're going. Maybe you're talking about tailgating, grilling and day drinking at your friends. WM is more about the event and the ceremony than the show.

So what if it's Reigns vs HHH - I'm stoked about hanging out with pals and, with the sudden upturn in the weather, drinking beers and grilling food, having good convo, meeting new friends (at the same social gathering), and in general enjoying myself. It's nowhere near on the same "water cooler conversation" level as the super bowl is (what with all that strange, strange "what was YOUR favorite commercial?" talk) - but WWE has done a good job of getting it to that level.

The card is fucking appalling. It's a 50/50 combo of WWE's poor misfortune for all the injuries mixed with their unwillingness to move in the direction the crowd is telling them to, if the crowd noise doesn't jive with what WWE wants.

The card is awful, but you're still excited about it. That says something pretty amazing, yes?

Last year's card looked bad on paper and turned out great. I think most of this year's matches could end up being very good. But they could also take a turn for the disastrous. That's part of the fun- seeing how everything comes together.

Sasha Banks - Charlotte - Becky Lynch match is enough to get me excited if they're actually given the time. Otherwise Ambrose - Lesnar also has potential to be great, but the last two matches of the night...I Don't know.

I honestly don't know what to expect from Wrestlemania with Shane and Taker, it's going to be an interesting one for sure. It seems this Wrestlemania is going to have to do some big things as I don't really have much interest in most of the matches. Though I am excited for Shane & taker, Ambrose and Lesnar, Owens and everyone he has to face, and of course New Day hopefully keeping the tag titles.
didnt vince say if taker loses he will no longer be at wm? I thought this was his last WM anyways, could swear i read years back taker would only fight at WM and he signed a deal for 3 and he was done. this was going to be his 3rd year.. Shows hes tired and needs to quit, had to take on shane in his last match instead of a major player.

Alright, time to start fantasy booking to get our hopes up. Shane vs. Taker is gotta have some other players involved, right? Sting comes in to make the save for Shane? Then the Authority sends in their new demon Finn Balor to side with Taker? Could be a cool passing of the torch type of deal. Have the lights go out, and that creepy heart beat sound with the lights starting to flash in sync before he appears. Would easily establish him on the main roster as well.

That or two old, sweaty, red-faced dudes will roll around VERY emotionally for 20 minutes with false-finishes starting around the 5-minute mark and 1/2 of the match being just face close-ups.

Whichever.

Sasha Banks - Charlotte - Becky Lynch match is enough to get me excited if they're actually given the time. Otherwise Ambrose - Lesnar also has potential to be great, but the last two matches of the night...I Don't know.
Add this, the ladder match, and the battle royale (my favorite kind of match) and I'm set for WM.

I'll be thrilled if Dean wins that night.

They're airing both the battle royal and Dudleyz vs. Usos on the pre-show. If any matches deserve to be put on the pre-show, it's those and the multi-Diva tag.

They're airing both the battle royal and Dudleyz vs. Usos on the pre-show. If any matches deserve to be put on the pre-show, it's those and the multi-Diva tag.
They probably want to have a shitty filler match on the show after the Ambrose/Lesnar or Taker/Shane match.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I read a rumor that Snoop Dogg is going to be the celebrity induction into the HOF this year. It's a smart move but as a fan it's that little reminder that the HOF isn't that special.

WWE is apparently more interested in Eric Young over Bobby Roode. I wonder if he'll be Daniel Bryan V2.0, a new Wyatt or the Next Santino.

There's a crusierweight tournament scheduled for guys in the 205 pound weight class. Interesting. Perhaps they bring back the Crusierweight title? Hopefully whomever wins it beats the snot out of Hornswoggle just because.

I understand why WWE would want Young over Roode. Roode is so bland and generic. He always reminded me of Barry Horowitz, if Barry had no charisma. A good worker but nothing but not anything better than anyone in NXT. EY, on the other hand, has tons of personality. He could add to any of their shows with little training. My guess would be he is the next Santino though.

The Snoop Dogg is more than a rumor, the email I got from WWE Network advertising their programing for WrestleMania week shoes Snoop Dogg in the HoF graphic right next to the Godfather. They dont show any of the presenters so its safe to say he is going in. I must have missed when he even appeared on WWE tv. I think he hosted Raw once? Hardly had any impact on anything. Hes related to one of the Divas though so I guess thats why.

I wonder if Vader will still be presenting Stan Hansen after he showed everyone his "Little Van Vader" on Twitter the other day.

I think the post-WM crowd showed up a week early.
The Barclays Center crowd is really good surprisingly. I went to the Raw after Summerslam last year and it was great. I regret not going last night thinking since the roster is injured that it would've been disappointing. Just hearing the Undertaker's entrance and that Shane elbow would've been worth the price of admission 😩😩😩.

The Barclays Center crowd is really good surprisingly. I went to the Raw after Summerslam last year and it was great. I regret not going last night thinking since the roster is injured that it would've been disappointing. Just hearing the Undertaker's entrance and that Shane elbow would've been worth the price of admission .
The last two times they've had Raw at Barclays the crowd has shit on things that didn't deserve it. They're just assholes now.

I'm impressed they covered every feud but one on Raw, that felt like a first. Now why can't they do it any other week? Overall I thought it was a good show, but I found I dozed off on the couch right before Brock came out and had to finish on dvr when I woke up.

fuck Eva. And why is she on the fucking face team?

Man, how can Shane possibly beat The Undertaker? I mean, if Undertaker sitting up like 5 minutes after Shane kicked the shit out of him in half that amount of time doesn't show that Shane is hopelessly overmatched, I don't know what does.

For real doe, glad it went down that way, makes it seem a lot more likely Taker will actually win on Sunday.

I try to find humor in the things I don't like about wrestling instead of let them influence me negatively.

That said, I saw a tweet yesterday that said "About the only way to successfully get Roman Reigns over as a face is to book him in a feud with Eva Marie."

Yeah... Eva on the Total Divas team only makes sense so far as that she's on the cast of the show. The girl is a heel and I fully expect her to stab her teammates in the back. If not, then I take it Vince doesn't know who the hell she is or why she's on the card.

Also, I think Jericho is doing pretty well as a heel. It's much better than his last few baby face runs.

We've had the discussion here, yeah? About how Eva Marie is nuclear heat and will make a ton of money for herself and WWE?

This is only true of her as a heel (for now).

I could see the WM crowd booing her mercilessly until she turns (and then cheering, just to be contrary or say "I knew it all along").

Maybe have her get booed out of the building at WM and save the turn for after they get away from the WM weekend crowd.

They already demonstrated on Raw that Eva Marie's own teammates don't even like her. Did any of you notice that Eva managed to botch the team's simultaneous arm raising after the heels were run off?

How on Earth did Eva get moved up from NXT? Did they just give up on making her better, and consider it a lost cause? I've seen her wrestle at multiple NXT shows, and it's been brutal each time. She just doesn't have "it".

* In this case "it" doesn't refer to that enigmatic star power quality, it refers to basic wrestling ability.

Speaking of Takeover, predictions! Interesting that there's 2 face-face matches where main roster avoids them at all cost (Bayley/Asuka and Naka/Zayn)

Final card:

NXT Championship: Finn Balor (c) vs. Samoa Joe
NXT Women’s Championship: Bayley (c) vs. Asuka
NXT Tag Team Championship: The Revival (c) vs. American Alpha
Austin Aries vs. Baron Corbin
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn
Apollo Crews vs. Elias Samson

Joe(dirty)

Asuka

AA

AA

Swagsuke

Crews

Damn, that's all 3 titles changing and 1/4 heels winning.

Speaking of Takeover, predictions! Interesting that there's 2 face-face matches where main roster avoids them at all cost (Bayley/Asuka and Naka/Zayn)

Final card:

NXT Championship: Finn Balor (c) vs. Samoa Joe
NXT Women’s Championship: Bayley (c) vs. Asuka
NXT Tag Team Championship: The Revival (c) vs. American Alpha
Austin Aries vs. Baron Corbin
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn
Apollo Crews vs. Elias Samson

Joe(dirty)

Asuka

AA

AA

Swagsuke

Crews

Damn, that's all 3 titles changing and 1/4 heels winning.
Same as my predictions. I think Joe winning the NXT Title seems like a lock, but we could be wrong, same goes for Asuka beating Bayley. It just seems like now is the time for both Finn and Bayley to move up to the main roster.

American Alpha vs. The Revival is another one that could go either way, but I think American Alpha has this one and we see the feud continue with Dash and Dawson. I think Aries has to win his debut match on TV, but I could easily see Corbin going over. I can't imagine Nakamura will lose his debut and feel this is the safest bet of the night. Crews and The Drifter could easily go either way as well, but I think Crews needs the win and I don't think Samson is quite ready.

There's a 40% off clearance sale today. Ordered women's Hideo Itami shirt $9, Lucha Dragons shirt $6, Cena workout shirt (doesn't say his name anywhere) $3, New Day beanie $7, 2 pair New Day socks $3 each.

I've been catching up on NXT the last couple days and the video quality has been atrocious. I normally have no issues with WWE Network. But with on demand stuff looking this bad, I'm worried about tonight's NXT Takeover.

bread's done
Back