Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

I'm really warming up to Baron Corbin. Ambrose isn't doing anything with IC title, and it doesn't really do anything for him. I'd like to see Baron go on to win it soon and hold it for a while. He could just defend it day in and day out and really build himself up as this unstoppable tough guy.
I smell Baron eliminating Dean on Sunday, leading to the match. Not sure who wins it with Universal and likely Raw Women's and Tag titles changing hands. Wow, that's most of Raw's. Hmm...

Fun fact: If you Google "Mickie James roast beef," the first result is "The Mickie James Roast Beef Wrestling Thread" on this very board.
That exact Google search is how I found CAG in the first place. I came for the wrestling thread and stayed for the deals.

So Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt will be the main event for Wrestlemania? I Can't tell if I'm shocked that it's a main event with Bray Wyatt of all people or because Roman Reigns, John Cena or even AJ Styles aren't even involved. Well, unless WWE pulls a WWE and just makes the Goldberg-Lesnar match the main event or whatever and just say screw tradition.

So Randy Orton and Bray Wyatt will be the main event for Wrestlemania? I Can't tell if I'm shocked that it's a main event with Bray Wyatt of all people or because Roman Reigns, John Cena or even AJ Styles aren't even involved. Well, unless WWE pulls a WWE and just makes the Goldberg-Lesnar match the main event or whatever and just say screw tradition.
At this point Goldberg v Lesnar will probably be for the Universal Title, so they'll just put it as the main event. Or as WWE says, the last main event of the six main events on the card.

Jack Evans is apparently hurt so he's off the AAW show tomorrow night, so they've switched up the card a bit. ACH was set to face Sydal, but it'll now be Trevor Lee facing Sydal and ACH shifting into a 6 man with Fenix & AR Fox taking on Sami Callihan & OI4K (Jake & Dave Crist).

Taking Evans & Lee's spot in the tag match against Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz are The Unbreakable F'n Machines (Elgin & Brian Cage).

oa9irm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, that's a heck of a lineup.

If you watch NJPW with any regularity, Michael Elgin took on Tetsuya Naito last Friday in a excellent, highly dramatic 40-minute match. Shibata (best strikes in pro wrestling if you don't know) also took on Will Ospreay in an excellent match.

Slightly tempted to go to these.[attachment=25539:FB_IMG_1487337063570.jpg][attachment=25540:FB_IMG_1487337360851.jpg]

Joey Janela is a very entertaining heel.

I'm 50/50 on whether I'll be down there to help with events this year. Depends on the extent of ring crew we need. If so, I'd love to meet up with some of y'all who will be there - if I end up going I'm gonna try for some nosebleed/SRO seats for Mania.

^ My replacement sidekick for the AAW show in Chicago bailed - if anyone is in the area and wants to go tonight, let me know!

Dang, that's a heck of a lineup.

If you watch NJPW with any regularity, Michael Elgin took on Tetsuya Naito last Friday in a excellent, highly dramatic 40-minute match. Shibata (best strikes in pro wrestling if you don't know) also took on Will Ospreay in an excellent match.
Shibata is one of those wrestlers where I believe there is no gimmick and he is like that 24/7. Like if for some reason you were to punch him in the face on the street he would ask for another until he's had enough and decides to just elbow you into oblivion. His move set is pretty limited compared to most, but goddamn every move he does just looks like it legit hurts.

Also that match between him and Ospreay was indeed excellent.

There is so much wonderful indy wrestling in the world. You'd previously mentioned that New Japan bores you, so that would explain why you don't know the names of Tetsuya Naito, Michael Elgin, Will Ospreay, and so on. It also tells me that you don't watch much Ring of Honor, since there is still a good amount of talent overlap between ROH and New Japan. If you happen to be on the west coast, New Japan is having their first US shows (technically, though they did 3 shows in the northeast in 2011) in Long Beach in July. G1 Climax series, which is huge news (but kind of a pain to explain the idea).

WWE produces enough content that it's super easy to get your fill of wrestling every week just by watching them.

If you want to see great wrestlers before they go to WWE, then you have to keep your ear to the ground on the indies. Tyler Bate and Trent Seven are huge in the UK (and, ahem, also still our Tag Team Champions). The current crop of NXT talent are almost uniformly guys who were huge on the indies - except for maybe Liv Morgan, who went straight to WWE.

Not hearing of them tells me that you're not paying attention. Please understand I don't mean that critically - like "you're lazy and not paying attention" is not at all what I'm saying. I get that following the indies is a big ask if you follow all of WWE's content, and have time for work, family, other non-wrestling hobbies. It's a lot - easily overwhelming. But not hearing of these people isn't their fault, necessarily. They're working a lot at a level that you're just not following. If you want to see who's going to be huge in the WWE in five years, follow the indies now. That's what I'd recommend. Maybe follow New Japan, too. 14 month ago, Nakamura, AJ Styles, and Gallows/Anderson were putting on incredible matches there. They left, and NJPW still had a stellar, stellar year. The people who said Nakamura was a god among mortals as a wrestler in previous years are now recognizing the talent of Naito. Holy crap he is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCK2By2bAkA

Taking on the vaporwave aesthetic is fresh for wrestling. He's good at what he does, and if you focus on his indy work outside of the deathmatches, he's a hard person to not be enrapt with.

He seems like a super likeable guy but I just don't "get" deathmatches nor do I care spending the time to watch them. Good to see he's not a 2-dimensional wrestler.

They sure seemed to botch the ending of the 10 man battle royale.
Yeah, was that seriously supposed to be inconclusive and controversial? There was a pretty decent span of time between the two of them hitting the floor, it wasn't even close.

The more I see about Janela's Spring Break, the more tempted I am to attend. And that's even though it'll be broadcast on Floslam.

I can't decide if No Way Jose Haas a huge future or won't pan out. Definitely has potential.

Andrews/Dunne wasn't as good as their tourney match, still damn good.

bread's done
Back