Pro Wrestling discussion topic--WWE, AEW, ROH, Impact, New Japan, indies

Sounds like a nasty storm is going to roll through Mania. At least I'm pretty sure that's thunder coming through on the broadcast.
Glad it's not just me hearing thunder... Though I'm not sure it's thunder.

(Radar seems to be clear.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's the strong wind, but there are storms to the south that are supposedly running north/northeast. 

So far we've had an
AJ Styles
win,
Kevin Owen
win,
Bayley
win.  Vince is setting up the crowd for a gut punch with that
Roman Reigns
win in the rain.

HOLY SHIT

I think it's the strong wind, but there are storms to the south that are supposedly running north/northeast.

So far we've had an
AJ Styles
win,
Kevin Owen
win,
Bayley
win. Vince is setting up the crowd for a gut punch with that
Roman Reigns
win in the rain.

HOLY SHIT
The Pro Miz crowd will absolutely crap on that if it happens.

Taker's or Bray's entrance looks like it could be more legit.

fark_d_OU_nYROubfy3Acedt23OsMBKg.png

That shit is heading N/NE.

And now I need to mute my TV.

Wrestlemania is going to run late... and we got a mini concert going on?

(I guess we can thank the network for it... Going over isn't as horrible as it once was.)

I bet they cut the Smackdown Women's title match. Time that could've been used for that match has been given to this terrible music. I mean, technically you have 4 matches left if they don't cut the Women's match. So let's say they end at 11:30, that gives 60 minutes to the rest of the show. For all 4 matches you have at least 30 minutes of entrances and 15 minutes of pre-match video footage. Sooo....15 minutes for 4 matches. Yeah, that's not happening. Even if you cut out a single match, takes down to 25 minutes of entrances and 12 minutes of video package. So, 10 minutes for wyatt/orton, 10 minutes for taker/reigns and 3 minutes for lesnar/golderg.

The first half wasn't bad, but as soon as the tag match was done it went way downhill. Fast.

Way to waste the rub.

When he started undressing, I was legitimately worried he just got knocked in the head and was about to take his pants off. Glad it was just ceremonial.

7 hour Mania though? Wow. Here's to hoping they can shave off an hour next year with 100% less old dudes. Also where was Samoa Joe? He wasn't even in that Battle Royale, was he?

Don't lie. Did y'all cry at the end? I was too upset to cry.
Once that was clear it was going to be the final match of the night, I already knew the outcome. Also I think I felt more feelings during the Wyatt Orton match, mostly because I couldn't believe how slow and stupid the finale of that whole match was.

Orton was the only thing I got wrong, and don't understand what they're doing. Waaaaay too long. Show itself was much better than expected.

At the late show, should be fun. Right up on the ring.

7 hour Mania though? Wow. Here's to hoping they can shave off an hour next year with 100% less old dudes. Also where was Samoa Joe? He wasn't even in that Battle Royale, was he?
He didn't make his main roster debut till the night after the Rumble...

Rusev had no match either... Or Finn for that matter. Not sure how they managed to go so long while leaving so many big names out.

Once that was clear it was going to be the final match of the night, I already knew the outcome. Also I think I felt more feelings during the Wyatt Orton match, mostly because I couldn't believe how slow and stupid the finale of that whole match was.
I feel they where likely told to hurry up... The start of the match was really odd also.

Roman did his best to put me to sleep... He might have succeed also as I already don't remember much about the match other than the no surprise outcome. I don't understand Vince's desires to, again, do Reigns no favors in how they book him. (Roman should have taken the pin... and then beaten an old man half dead (or maybe deader?) in once of the most epic heel turns of all time....

Then again... Hard to let Undertaker have his much deserved slow walk up the ramp one final time inf they went that route. I also feel Miz should have won, but again, the "surprise" wedding proposal wouldn't have worked after a loss. (Though a heel Cena showing up a few weeks later to say he was just concussed and there was no way he was marrying that sack of silicon would have been awesome too.)

Orton was the only thing I got wrong, and don't understand what they're doing. Waaaaay too long. Show itself was much better than expected.
Reward for being the perfect company man and letting Brock Lesner bust open his head with an elbow (or two) but I was happy as hell. (I love me some Randy Orton.)

I Will say this dumb, nice thing about Mania after the dumb fun that was the Raw tag match and it going into shit sandwich immediately. Goldberg-Lesnar was fun. It was stupid as hell (each wrestler only had two moves) and it was quick and didn't turn into anything like Wrestlemania XX match. You know, so long as you forget them putting the title on one of them added nothing to the feud and instead just makes the Raw main event scene look like you got to run way too many hoops to get a good feud going without it resorting to "LOL ROMAN WINS!"

The thing I don't get about Roman, Hunter says "isn't he a heel? He's getting booed plenty, we're presenting him differently is all" but they mute the audio again. I would respect the hell out of them if they were working us that well, then they do things that contradict their statements.

Here is the the about Taker that alot of people either choose to ignore, forget about, or just plain do not know: He is one of the very last of the old school mentality.

He himself has stated in older interviews and such that he is of the mind that when an older guy is hanging it up they should do so in a manner of putting over a younger talent in the middle of the ring. Him doing the favors for Roman at Mania was in no way just a Vince thing, it was a Taker thing as well. He is one of the very few that still believes in "protecting the business" and in still keeping "kayfabe" going in certain manners. This is why you have only seen him at the HoF ceremony once I can think of and that was for the Paul Bearer induction and only then it was to salute the man after his induction ceremony. 

Taker was always going to go out on his back looking up at the lights.

I had the time of my life being there live. Absolutely wonderful time. The stage caught fire pretty significantly during Taker's exit, but was quickly controlled (and good camera work hid it on the broadcast).

That's two Wrestlemanias at the same place where pyro went awry after the final match/Undertaker exit.

First half or so of that show was very good. Kind of took a hit from the HHH match and beyond, although Goldberg vs Lesnar was exactly what it should have been. That match, for what it could have been, was perfect.

The last link to the modern golden age is gone. Oddly enough the next closest act still on the roster is the Hardys since they were jobbers in the mid 90s, then Goldust, but he wasn't around until late 95. Undertaker was the only person left who was competing in the "Hogan era." I didn't cry or anything (even though he's my favorite ever)...I was there when he won his first world title from Hogan, and there when he beat Batista 10 years ago, kicking off his run of surprisingly great WM matches, so I didn't feel like I missed out on something I'd never be able to get back or whatever.

However, when I saw this a little later on, it did hit me pretty hard:

https://twitter.com/SteveTSN/status/848756804481945601

I like to imagine that either Vince or Kane was the person who finally removed it. I'm fully aware it was probably some random employee.

I ended the weekend with 15 shirts, 13 purchased, 10 from the wrestler themself. And I carried ACH. That man is stout.

In a perfect world we finally get that Roman turn tonight and he comes out to the ring in Taker's music and gear he left last night.

Just got home from work. How hard has Smarkamania been running so far tonight?
First 10 minutes was the crowd chanting things at Roman without him saying a word. It went on a very long time, included a "fuck you Roman" chant, and then he finally just said "This is my yard now" and left.

First 10 minutes was the crowd chanting things at Roman without him saying a word. It went on a very long time, included a "fuck you Roman" chant, and then he finally just said "This is my yard now" and left.
He should've went with "He's not coming back." Then left. Nuclear heat and if they booked around it, that would be good. Though if hey book around "This is my yard now." it could still work, just a smug fucker and just gives no fucks to the fans. Shit, give him a tape of The Rock after changing from Rocky Miavia. I guarantee that they wont though, bet the commentary was saying the bad reactions were are all due to the crowd being not your normal sort. Just like last year. Maybe if they get the smarks to start going "Die Roman Die" they might switch him around.

He should've went with "He's not coming back." Then left. Nuclear heat and if they booked around it, that would be good. Though if hey book around "This is my yard now." it could still work, just a smug fucker and just gives no fucks to the fans. Shit, give him a tape of The Rock after changing from Rocky Miavia. I guarantee that they wont though, bet the commentary was saying the bad reactions were are all due to the crowd being not your normal sort. Just like last year. Maybe if they get the smarks to start going "Die Roman Die" they might switch him around.
Instead the commentators went with "They're all booing him for retiring the Undertaker".

Decent variation, that they'll milk for the entire year.

And seriously? Raw gets
The Revival

fuck that.

Instead the commentators went with "They're all booing him for retiring the Undertaker".
Yeah, wasn't a big fan out of how they tried to explain it away... I wish I hadn't deleted it from my DVR yet as it was worth quoting line by line.

Basically, they claimed the crowed at Raw after Mania is odd and will sometimes cheer for whom they normally boo and boo people they normally cheer. I just don't see the need to call your most passionate fans, as lets face fact its not the causal fan that's going to 7 hours of Mania and then turning around for a 3 hour RAW, odd... Its disrespectful even if none of them find it disrespectful. (Truth be told I wouldn't have even addressed it... Maybe later when they started cheering for Breach Ball Mania you could have brought up their silliness but whatever.)

Just got home from work. How hard has Smarkamania been running so far tonight?
They also chanted "Asshole," "Roman sucks," "Shut The fuck Up" and a few others to Roman... I think you might have been around when Vince came out to the ring... but, anyhow, he got cheered till he went to speak and then got a "Roman Sucks" chant. Which seemed appropriate. You get a chance to tell the CEO your grievances with the company you should do so. (It didn't overstay its welcome either.)

He should've went with "He's not coming back." Then left. Nuclear heat and if they booked around it, that would be good. Though if hey book around "This is my yard now." it could still work, just a smug fucker and just gives no fucks to the fans.
But he didn't come cross like that at all... Every time he brought the mic up to speak he stopped and lowered it and waited a bit hoping the fans would burn themselves out. Which never happened. He gave the impression he did give a shit.

So the night after mania your "biggest" star delvers a 4 word promo and hides in back the rest of the night... Hell, they might as well get rid of that "Big Dog" moniker and rename him the "Face that has no place" cause its not working, isn't going to work, and they are damaging him long term without a heel turn.

Anyhow, solid entertaining RAW. Was a bit surprised that only one call up happened but Vince talked about a roster refresh on next weeks RAW so maybe we will see some then.

Ha, poor Graves having to deliver the same old bullshit "Bizarro World" and "these fans are zany nutty kookoo, they cheer the wrong guys but they're just having fun and they actually love Roman!" lines this year.

As far as the Raw tag division vs Smackdown, don't forget they're futzing around with the rosters next week. Not that Smackdown will suddenly be better, but at least it may not be as lopsided as it is now.

Safe to assume I'll have lost interest in the non-broken Hardys within a month.

Nakamura tomorrow, maybe, I guess?

Man, what a tiring weekend. I was so sick of wrestling by the time Mania came around.

So much traffic and people, ughh lol at one point before this weekend. The Uber rates were ridiculous after NXT saturday night that I just ended up driving to downtown Sunday early which made it a loooong day. 

I wanted to make this a yearly thing but I think I am more than fine waiting for them to come back to South FL every 4 years or so.

WIsh I had stayed for Raw last night to see Goldberg come out after Raw(and to atleast hear the crowd not shit on him so much).  This 'Mania' crowd while typically the most fanatic can also downright be annoying at times.

Still all being said, it was fun but i was simply glad to be home.

The Ubers back to our airbnb were eclipsing $130 after 'mania. We got *super* lucky that we had friends nearby with cars.

I hear you about annoying fans - but I also would say that we get to like what we like, and they can like what they like. Personally, I'm glad I enjoy what I do, and that I'm not wasting my money and time angry about the product. Kind of a zen buddhist approach to pro wrestling, but the only downer for me, live, was the Wyatt/Orton match.

The Ubers back to our airbnb were eclipsing $130 after 'mania. We got *super* lucky that we had friends nearby with cars.

I hear you about annoying fans - but I also would say that we get to like what we like, and they can like what they like. Personally, I'm glad I enjoy what I do, and that I'm not wasting my money and time angry about the product. Kind of a zen buddhist approach to pro wrestling, but the only downer for me, live, was the Wyatt/Orton match.
Yea, i learned from the night after NXT that Uber was not gonna fly on Mania night. Ended up just driving to downtown early and parked in the Amway lot for $15 or w.e It worked out great with the free shuttles.

I've never even considered airbnb. How did that work for you?

I also regret not passing by hogan's beach shop.

Neville denying the post-Wrestlemania crowd the red arrow after they were being such a shit crowd is a nice reminder that heel Neville is goddamn fantastic.

Aleister Black's theme song has been bothering me since Takeover. Not just because it's a "rock" song that doesn't suck, but because the vocals sounded really familiar. I realize there's always a sense of """familiarity""" to CFO$ theme songs, but this was different.

Turns out it's because they made the song with Incendiary, a hardcore band that's been around for years. They have a split with Xibalba I've listened to probably a hundred times. Pretty cool!

Some of us were discussing this in class months ago - the CFO$ are not only writing some killer themes the last 2 years, but WWE is selecting some really hip songs for their major shows. I had to do a doubletake when they used a Turnstile track for a PPV/NXT show (can't recall offhand which).

Some of us were discussing this in class months ago - the CFO$ are not only writing some killer themes the last 2 years, but WWE is selecting some really hip songs for their major shows. I had to do a doubletake when they used a Turnstile track for a PPV/NXT show (can't recall offhand which).
Agreed, they've come a long way from just cramming a nu metal song as the theme for every event show. Though a few CFO$ themes in general is one of the few times I can listen to non indie wrestling based music and not have to think of the context of "I Mean, it's good for a wrestling entrance and nothing more."

bread's done
Back