Problem redeeming GG at EB Games?

doasinfinity67

CAG Veteran
I've been doing the GG thing at EB for a while now. I've always used the Trade 3 to get a GG and I was able to redeem the GG every time, no problem. However... suddenly they tell me it's not applicable if I've used a Trade 3 for a GG game? What the hell?

I've had trouble in the past at the Metrotown location of EB Games (such as not letting me do trade in deals towards the Kinect), but this is ridiculous. I've done this several times at this exact location. Is it REALLY against the rules to do this (suddenly)? Or am I getting shafted?

Yeah, you can return a GG at any location you want anyway, doesn't have to be the one you got the game from. Screw that one!

With all due respect, you're upset because they decided to prevent you from abusing the system? That's certainly what it sounds like at least.

The Gaming Garuantee isn't intended to be a free demo or rental system for gamers. If you use it every time (especially in combination with other deals that allow you to get the games even cheaper than normal) what did you expect was going to happen? If you build a reputation, then you have to live by that reputation.

No, I'm upset that something I've regularly done before with now suddenly an issue. If I've never been able to do this, it wouldn't be an issue. But because it was ok before (for a very long time), I thought it would be ok this time as well. And now, I am stuck with a copy of Bloodstone which I didn't very much care for.

[quote name='ejamer']

The Gaming Garuantee isn't intended to be a free demo or rental system for gamers.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I've seen it advertised with the tagline "Why rent?" which means that they're encouraging you to use it for exactly that purpose. They just want you to forget to take advantage of the full-credit trade-in.

You seem to be missing the point. Don't worry about it though - established patterns of behavior will probably never come back to haunt you in the future.

Take it to another store where you aren't a regular and try there.

[quote name='ejamer']You seem to be missing the point. Don't worry about it though - established patterns of behavior will probably never come back to haunt you in the future.

Take it to another store where you aren't a regular and try there.[/QUOTE]

No... the point is that he is making use of a service in a way that the store advertising material encourages. Why shouldn't he be able to GG every single game that comes out if he wants to? If it's the store's policy to offer that option, then he should be allowed to do it. If a person was doing a GG on multiple copies of the same title, I could understand that being blocked, but otherwise the employees should follow the listed policy of their employer.

And you expect things to always stay the same... why?

The new "policy" that I've heard is that credit from a GG can only be applied to a future GG. This is meant to curb the amount of traders like the OP who do a Trade-3 for a GG then return it, making it a (albeit roundabout) way to just trade games in for boosted credit.

And this is in the wrong forum anyway.

Out of curiosity, do they even advertise/make it known (before people show up with the game hoping to return it) what they consider 'abuse' of these particular GG promotions? It'd be one thing if they made that information available to the public, but another completely if their policy (unofficial or not) is to not tell people until they show up to try and get the GG on the game. Just seems like bad business practice. I can definitely see the point when it comes to people reserving 2-3 copies of a GG game and returning them on a regular basis, but with the general lack of quality found in games these days and the rapid price drops on new releases, they should expect to see this kind of thing from people who game a lot.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']And you expect things to always stay the same... why?

The new "policy" that I've heard is that credit from a GG can only be applied to a future GG. This is meant to curb the amount of traders like the OP who do a Trade-3 for a GG then return it, making it a (albeit roundabout) way to just trade games in for boosted credit.[/QUOTE]

But here's the thing. I would have been fine if they offered me that anyway. It would have given me the chance to try out other games. But out of the blue, without mentioning anything at all when I picked up the game, when I go to return it, they tell me that I can't.

It's one thing to change your policy. It's another to not tell anyone of the change. It's also another thing completely if you consider how people use the GG as abuse, but not say anything when I make the reservation towards the GG game or when I pick it up.

You seem to be missing the point. Don't worry about it though - established patterns of behavior will probably never come back to haunt you in the future.

I'm not sure it is I that is missing the point... It wasn't an 'established pattern of behavior' of mine. It was a store policy that was changed without mention anywhere at any time. And that's shady business practice.

[quote name='doasinfinity67']It's another to not tell anyone of the change. It's also another thing completely if you consider how people use the GG as abuse, but not say anything when I make the reservation towards the GG game or when I pick it up.
[/QUOTE]
Most places have a policy (whether it's written in the fine print or it's followed but generally unspoken) that their deals and promotions may change or end or whatever without notice. Most stores do this: Futureshop, Zellers, Walmart, Amazon, and even Gamestop.

That's just business unforutnately. This is the reason why you sometimes see GS taking off certain games off their 'Most Wanted' list (like SC:C two weeks ago).

[quote name='poiuiu']Most places have a policy (whether it's written in the fine print or it's followed but generally unspoken) that their deals and promotions may change or end or whatever without notice. Most stores do this: Futureshop, Zellers, Walmart, Amazon, and even Gamestop.

That's just business unforutnately. This is the reason why you sometimes see GS taking off certain games off their 'Most Wanted' list (like SC:C two weeks ago).[/QUOTE]

I see, I can understand that then. It would have been nice if one of the associates would have told me something when I reserved it or when I picked it up though...

I'm really just upset that I might be stuck with Bloodstone, and it turned out to be pretty mediocre...

[quote name='doasinfinity67']I see, I can understand that then. It would have been nice if one of the associates would have told me something when I reserved it or when I picked it up though...

I'm really just upset that I might be stuck with Bloodstone, and it turned out to be pretty mediocre...[/QUOTE]

Are there any other EB's that you can go to easily, or without much trouble? You'd probably have better luck at another place with another employee.

[quote name='penetratingpincer']What is this GG thing you guys are talking about?[/QUOTE]

Gaming Guarantee promotion at EB where you can trade select titles back in for full credit within 7 days of pickup (if picked up within 7 days of release, I believe) if you preordered the game.

You probably got a crappy rep (woman with black hair perhaps?). Try another store. How you pre-ordered should have no effect on a Gaming Guarantee. They're banking on you not being able to finish in time and wanting to keep it 'til you do or forgetting about it. That's what happened to me on the very first GG (Gears of War 2).

I'd say if you traded in 3 turds, and they are sticking it to you, it's well within their rights as they can refuse any sale (according to their sales policy), and reserve the right for deals / promotions to be changed (fine print on all their promotions). If you have been abusing the system, and suddenly you can't, that sucks, but I wouldn't be upset at them for trying to stop hoarders / dealers etc....

[quote name='Firestorm']You probably got a crappy rep (woman with black hair perhaps?).[/QUOTE]

Yup! The small girl with the glasses is the worst though. Store manager I think, haha.

Well, I went to an EB in Vancouver and I asked the guy at the counter about the GG and if the T3G1F invalidated my ability to redeem it. He said that was silly and proceeded to let me redeem my GG.

Even though it's so close to where I live, I don't think I'll go to the Metrotown EB anymore...

[quote name='doasinfinity67']Yup! The small girl with the glasses is the worst though. Store manager I think, haha.

Well, I went to an EB in Vancouver and I asked the guy at the counter about the GG and if the T3G1F invalidated my ability to redeem it. He said that was silly and proceeded to let me redeem my GG.

Even though it's so close to where I live, I don't think I'll go to the Metrotown EB anymore...[/QUOTE]

Glad it worked out. One thing I was wondering... how would they even know if it was a T3 in the first place? When you pick up a pre-order, all the receipt says is that it's a fully paid pre-order pickup without any further details, right?

Thanks man. The girl that gave it to me wrote "T3G1F" right on top of the name of the game on the receipt. I didn't think much of it at first, but now I know. She didn't even tell me why she wrote that...

you should contact head office and report what is going on at that location. also go in and show her your receipt of your successful gaming guarantee and ask her why she wouldnt let you.

[quote name='Firestorm']They're banking on you not being able to finish in time and wanting to keep it 'til you do or forgetting about it. That's what happened to me on the very first GG (Gears of War 2).[/QUOTE] I thought the idea is that they want you to trade it back ASAP so they can make more money from pushing a newly released used game.

I would definitely send an email or call head office. When I had an issue with my favourite EB, they fixed it immediately and straightened everything out.

For sure file the complaint. this store was creating a policy that does not exist.

Also they should not have a need to write on your receipt. The only time this would ever happen is if they are marking it for a christmas gift because its that time of season where people are buying gifts. You are being treated unjustly and needs attention.

if you think about it how can they be upset with you. You brought in trades (good) you then made a pre-order (again good) then you came back and traded the game in (again great for them) and then you wanted to pre-order another game (hey, awesome again) I don't see why this store is complaining against you. you are giving them great business. trades/pre-sells and newer games in good condition to re-sell and you are coming back into the store and might pick up something else while you are there.

This isn't new, lots of stores in Toronto don't allow T3 games to also be GG. And lots of stores now write on the receipt of GG if it was a trade 2 or trade 3 etc..

You can call to complain but it's something they are supposed to do to stop dealers from abusing the promotion.

bread's done
Back