Problem with Game Room.

I remember when Space Invaders arrived at the arcade and I didn't know what to do. My first play I just shot up the three little huts at the bottom- ha ha.

[quote name='Afflicted']Growing up during the golden age of arcades (yes I remember when space invaders was brand new) I've been looking forward for this... and do plan on picking up several from the list. When I break down and finally buy points that is.

[/QUOTE]

I like everything about Game Room... except the available games and prices.

The whole concept is cool, the customizability is cool, but the prices just suck. And these aren't the kind of arcade games I'm really interested in, they're a little too old skool for me. Bring me this, at $5 even, and you have an instant purchase:

x-men20arcade.jpg

[quote name='Freemason']personally, being an arcade rat from age 5 ( 1985 ) and adopting my first major foray into video games with nintendo, atari, and the local arcade, i find it actually pretty cool. yes many of the release games suck, yes it sucks you have to buy them for 240 a pop, and leveling up to get more stuff is pretty insanely time consuming unless you buy every game and drop bronze medals just to burn through points to level... but seeing my multiplex of old classics with teh sights and sounds of the classic arcade scene made me nostalgic and excited to play the raw, basic, finger twitching goodness of old school retro titles.

i bought about a dozen games of varying types and set up my arcade, more of just a collecting standpoint at this point to look in on my area and see many of the roots for which i started gaming. if nothing else, its fun to go here the sights and sounds, play some centipede, asteroids, combat, and others, and just get away from the better graphics, bigger guns, more complex games of today for some simple retro goodness....
[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way, and I'm happy that I am not the only one!! .. thanks for the post -- I plan to grab about 10 games for the weekend .. (i hope they release Stocker!!)

I like the interface and the emulation seems good enough, but for me... the games are a little too classic. I grew up on this stuff, but I would rather play the top Xbox Indie games (and xbla), then the current game room selection.

Stuff like Decimation X from Xbox indies would fit perfectly here. That would be a great way to increase exposure to the best Indie games. Promote certain games to game room status. Something like that probably won't happen though.

I ended buying three games last night and trying to beat friends scores in them. Although one of my "free mascots with purchase" has disappeared on me and Microsoft hasn't mentioned that problem yet.

Anybody else face the same thing?

[quote name='uglyteradon']I ended buying three games last night and trying to beat friends scores in them. Although one of my "free mascots with purchase" has disappeared on me and Microsoft hasn't mentioned that problem yet.

Anybody else face the same thing?[/QUOTE]

Of course of all the games they have, the one I bought (the Shao-Lin one) didn't have a mascot from what I could tell.

Really hoping for others that catch my interest. I played the demos for all of them and that was the only one that I had fun with. Even got the gold medals for it already.

I played Combat but it was only 1 Player, is there no AI support? I used to play that on my parents Atari 2600 back in the day. Also I never knew they made an Asteroids sequel! (mainly due to the fact that most arcade games were created with new ideas and not sequels) lol

[quote name='BingoBrown']I like everything about Game Room... except the available games and prices.

The whole concept is cool, the customizability is cool, but the prices just suck. And these aren't the kind of arcade games I'm really interested in, they're a little too old skool for me. Bring me this, at $5 even, and you have an instant purchase:

x-men20arcade.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'd pay $12 for that! I'd probably even buy it for my PS3 if they went multiplat with it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']I like everything about Game Room... except the available games and prices.

x-men20arcade.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I just hope they realize how much fans want games like this and don't put it off until much later in the Game Room game cycle. Most of these old school games I have no interest in, especially Intellivision. My god, I was lost on those controls.

I hope we get some more obscure games as well as higher profile ones. I'd never played Battlantis before, but I thought it was pretty cool. I'd like to see Peter Packrat show up one day. I spent a lot of quarters on that one as a kid, and it seems like very few people even remember it... Circus Charlie would be a good one, too.

[quote name='septiclemon']Downloading games are a bit silly too, when I downloaded Yar's Revenge it said the file was about 70MB big, no offence, but I thought 2600 game were only a few kilobytes in size, and even if there's DRM slapped onto that, it shouldn't 69MB big![/QUOTE]

Are you fucking kidding me? The entire libraries of games from the following consoles...

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800
Atari Lynx
Channel F
Colecovision
Intellivision
MTX
Vectrex

...add up to just under 20MB. How in the hell does a single Atari 2600 game take up over three times the space? It's like they're trying to be assholes!

[quote name='Tsukento']I'm really not liking how this is being played off. Seeing Game Packs being listed as free add-ons and then finding out that you have to PAY for them in order to keep them or play them anywhere is a load of crap.

For starters, no where in the packs' descriptions do they indicate that what you're downloading will require you to pay for to play. Not only that, but some of the games are just downright not that great. Having to download an entire pack just to play maybe one or two games is a nightmare for those with limited hard drive space.

But maybe it's just me being delusional. Part of me continues to hope that MS will actually some day throw Gold users a bone and make a service 100% free considering we're paying to use the fucking premium service.[/QUOTE]

One off the top of my head that is/was 100% free as part of the Gold service was 1 vs 100.

As for the packs, no need to complain if you have ever read anything about Game Room. They have always stated you can play one of two ways: 1) pay per play or 2) buy the game.

Personally though, there is nothing I would buy so far.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Are you fucking kidding me? The entire libraries of games from the following consoles...

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800
Atari Lynx
Channel F
Colecovision
Intellivision
MTX
Vectrex

...add up to just under 20MB. How in the hell does a single Atari 2600 game take up over three times the space? It's like they're trying to be assholes![/QUOTE]

It doesn't take up that much space. The packs contain all of the games because you are able to go to the showcase arcade and pay per play as well as demo the games. When you actually buy the game, yes, it does say that the file is 70MB. But if you actually went through with he download, you would see that it only takes a second because it just updates the game to let it know that it was paid for.

Ok, having GameRoom for a day, and I've used more of it's features such as the challenge system, and trying out the PC version of GameRoom.

I really like the Challenge system, I've been picking arcade fights with a few of my friend's on my list. OK it's not 2 player simultanious online gameplay, you're comparing either points or how long you can play before getting a GameOver. Proberbly the best feature I've seen in GameRoom.

The PC version of GameRoom, this is where I going to fuck ing rant hardcore... One thing I was wondering about was the whole "Play Anywhere" tariff. And now I know what it means. If you've been playing this on the 360 like I have, when you log into GameRoom on the PC, you'll need to upgrade the games you've bought for 160 points in order to play the games you've bought for the 360 onto the PC. Sorry Microsoft, that just fucking sucks... Sure these games are 240 are so points each, but this is a blantant pot of gold for Steve Balmer or who ever's in the XBox Team. Oh well looks like I'm going to have to uninstall the PC version off my PC.

So yeah, if you're going to CAG the GameRoom, I suggest sticking to one format only...

I've just been playing demos so far, but I really like the arcade interface. The challenge system seems pretty cool too. Just wish there were more games out already.

Playing in the game room just makes me appreciate that I have a 360 and can play games that are actually fun. Some of these games are brutal. There are a few games that are worth killing a few minutes on but overall I'm just not impressed.

One thing I wondered when playing the Super Cobra demo. Is there a way to make the screen bigger? The screen just felt really small to me while I was playing.

[quote name='JStryke']One thing I wondered when playing the Super Cobra demo. Is there a way to make the screen bigger? The screen just felt really small to me while I was playing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah even worse they limit your movement in the game lol. Thank god for rewind with that game though.

happened to me and this is what I did to fix that problem: go to the 360 dashboard and load up 'game room' again and run it. should load up fine and quicker this time around.

[quote name='septiclemon']Ok, having GameRoom for a day, and I've used more of it's features such as the challenge system, and trying out the PC version of GameRoom.

I really like the Challenge system, I've been picking arcade fights with a few of my friend's on my list. OK it's not 2 player simultanious online gameplay, you're comparing either points or how long you can play before getting a GameOver. Proberbly the best feature I've seen in GameRoom.

The PC version of GameRoom, this is where I going to fuck ing rant hardcore... One thing I was wondering about was the whole "Play Anywhere" tariff. And now I know what it means. If you've been playing this on the 360 like I have, when you log into GameRoom on the PC, you'll need to upgrade the games you've bought for 160 points in order to play the games you've bought for the 360 onto the PC. Sorry Microsoft, that just fucking sucks... Sure these games are 240 are so points each, but this is a blantant pot of gold for Steve Balmer or who ever's in the XBox Team. Oh well looks like I'm going to have to uninstall the PC version off my PC.

So yeah, if you're going to CAG the GameRoom, I suggest sticking to one format only...[/QUOTE]

so basically you have to double dip and pay extra? fuck that! I'll stick to Centipede in HD. Heck, i'll stick to buying xbl arcade games that are in HD, leaderboards, achievements and much more. You get what you pay for and i'd rather play these for free on my old xbox or on a pc.

[quote name='septiclemon']If you've been playing this on the 360 like I have, when you log into GameRoom on the PC, you'll need to upgrade the games you've bought for 160 points in order to play the games you've bought for the 360 onto the PC. Sorry Microsoft, that just fucking sucks... Sure these games are 240 are so points each, but this is a blantant pot of gold for Steve Balmer or who ever's in the XBox Team. Oh well looks like I'm going to have to uninstall the PC version off my PC.

So yeah, if you're going to CAG the GameRoom, I suggest sticking to one format only...[/QUOTE]

I don't plan on ever using the PC version, but I'm surprised they actually allow you to pay 160 points to upgrade. I figured that if you didn't buy the game for both systems initially (400 points), to have it on another system, you wouldn't be able to upgrade and would have to pay the 400 points or at least 240 points. That's the way the Rock Band track packs work--if you buy a song and decide you want to upgrade to the whole pack, you still have to pay for the whole pack--so I figured it would work that way with this too.

Finally checked it out last night. Huge disappointment. I like the idea of being able to play gamest hat might not have come to XBLA but everything from the price to the basic design is bad. MS really is screwing over their fans with the nickle and dime-ing to death.

[quote name='Spybreak8']If vector graphics Star Wars comes down I'm totally getting an arcade cabinet.[/QUOTE]

You mean the Atari Star Wars arcade? If that happens I'll be a heaven! It was the first video game I ever played!

[quote name='septiclemon']You mean the Atari Star Wars arcade? If that happens I'll be a heaven! It was the first video game I ever played![/QUOTE]

Go pick up a Gamecube and Rogue Squadron 3.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Go pick up a Gamecube and Rogue Squadron 3.[/QUOTE]
The PAL release never got the Rogue Squadron 3 Bonus disc. I could Import it, but I just can't be bothered, lol.

[quote name='septiclemon']The PAL release never got the Rogue Squadron 3 Bonus disc. I could Import it, but I just can't be bothered, lol.[/QUOTE]

Hm... at least in the US, the Atari arcade game was also included with the actual game. It's an unlockable extra, via a password.

The vector graphics based Atari Empire Strikes back and raster graphics based Atari Return of the Jedi were also included, but I hated ROTJ. ESB is kind of interesting, though.

I don't know if the PAL version cut those Atari games due to the PAL region's PALiness.

I just love on the dashboard it says blockbuster games while talking about Game Room. Haha not really blockbuster. I think I'm about done with all the demos with this. Don't really see anything I'd buy for $3. I just reinstalled Echoes on my computer, awesome modern asteroids game.

Where is the Capcom game room? Also, the Konami game room should have The Simpsons arcade game as well as TMNT. Maybe a lot of the XBLA games which were originally arcade games should be moved tot he Game Room as well.

The only real way I would pay anything in Game Room is if they started throwing in Sega games.

Especially Space Harrier and Fantasy Zone.

The only real way I would pay anything in Game Room is if it wasn't some poorly emulated garbage that fanmade PC emulators have been doing better for years and for free. It's shameful how DLC stuff like this and retro compilations get away with selling such a poor product and then companies complain that people still pirate retro games.

I think only the DLC stuff has really been doing poorly emulated versions recently. Most compilations on disc have been done rather nicely.

[quote name='ananag112']Where is the Capcom game room? Also, the Konami game room should have The Simpsons arcade game as well as TMNT. Maybe a lot of the XBLA games which were originally arcade games should be moved tot he Game Room as well.[/QUOTE]
Konami doesn't have the Simpsons or TMNT rights, so they'd have to work with EA and Ubisoft to get those licensed games up there.

[quote name='Tsukento']I think only the DLC stuff has really been doing poorly emulated versions recently. Most compilations on disc have been done rather nicely.[/QUOTE]

Eh, the most recent Sonic 1-3+K compilation for the DS is kind of poo. Is there any good reason for the music to be wonky? Is there any good reason there are glitches? Is there any good reason that SEGA hired a freeware emulator author and didn't just properly port the games?

*looks at Sonic 1 Genesis for the GBA*

Oh. They're just incompetent.

[quote name='Just-Joe']I'm pretty sure I'm gonna erase this soon.[/QUOTE]

Same. Maybe I'm just too young to appreciate these classics (mainly grew up in the 16-bit & 32-bit era), but the few games I've tried on there weren't even worth playing for the full demo period.

The game room concept is cool. But ultimately you are still playing the same retro games that have been released hundreds of times over and over. I still prefer to see newer updates to older games like Pac-Man Championship Edition.

Game Room would be better if they let you stick XBLA games in there, it would be especially awesome with the cabinets for games like Outrun and Virtual On. It would just be a more advanced way of looking at someone's gamerscore / what games they've played. Also a cool way to show off your virtual collection.

The interface sucks too, should have let us walk around with our avatars.

The only big problem I have is that you can only demo a game once, where before you could play the demo infinite amount of times to get the feel of the game.

It sucks. :headache:

[quote name='CouRageouS']Game Room would be better if they let you stick XBLA games in there, it would be especially awesome with the cabinets for games like Outrun and Virtual On. It would just be a more advanced way of looking at someone's gamerscore / what games they've played. Also a cool way to show off your virtual collection.

The interface sucks too, should have let us walk around with our avatars.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like an awesome idea...seems like they totally missed the boat on that.

[quote name='KingBroly']I think the Game Pack stuff is going to be Game Room's downfall. It's really stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yea its almost exactly why Home is so bad on PSN. Dling packs/areas.

I would have thought they would have learned things like this dont work!

I was excited, probably unnecessarily so, about the Game Room concept but the final product is a massive letdown. Emulators and other disc compilations, as others have said here already, have done this far better -- as much as "walking around" is sort of cool, I can't bring myself to actually pay even a couple of dollars for games I can play elsewhere for nothing. Games that, frankly, aren't even worth a few dollars anymore to play.

I was hoping I could walk around my arcade mall, ride an escalator etc, the one nice thing I noticed was your avatar and your friends avatars are rendered a lot better. you could see detailing in the ODST armor. Still, seems wrong to buy virtual tokens and games to play when you're already paying for XBL gold. I think my coleco still works w/the atari adapter.

if MS somehow figures out how to profit from the masses by developing XBL sims with our avatars, they've won...oh noes...

So wait a friend told me if you both buy the same arcade console and play in your friend's arcade you can gain tokens that way?

I've only found three games that I felt were worth buying... but really I'll be stoked if they release Tron or the old Star Wars arcade machine. I think that this is a good idea for Microsoft and it's been fun competing for high-scores with my friends.

bread's done
Back