Problem with Gamefly and free trail membership. What should I do?

Follandboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Back when Gamefly started the huge sale on games on their site I emailed their support to see if trail members saved money on used games. They replied as yes. So I signed up for it.

PROBLEM 1: It turns out that trail members dont save on games.

After I found this out, I went to cancel my membership. On there website, it says all you need to do to cancel is to go to the My Account page and click on cancel.

PROBLEM 2: After you click on cancel, it forces you to call up their customer service to cancel.

I looked on their site the other day, which was about 5 days after canceling and I noticed I was suddenly getting the subscriber price on used games.

PROBLEM 3: I called up Gamefly to ask them why I was getting the discount and they told me that they "Forgot" to cancel it.

It seems to me that Gamefly is really trying to take advantage of there customers and is really using some very shaddy practices. I would think that these practices are probably illegal.

Has anyone else expirenced any similar problems?

What should I do to make Gamefly change these polocies?

the having to call up to cancel is new to me- when i had tried the service (about a year ago) cancelling was simple (clicking on the button) and no hassle afterwards of forgetting.
It could be they are just swamped with new members because of their low prices on games. In which you might be jumping the gun. As long as they are not charging you- have they?

You post a TON of questions about Gamefly..

Seriously, they just shipped out.. i'd say around 1,000 games, which means they dealt with hundreds and hundreds of customers, many doing the same thing you did. They're nice guys, don't get mad at 'em.. just make sure the situation is resolved.

I dont understand how they can "Forget" to cancel a membership, when that is done when I am on the phone with them. Also they desieved me into signing up for the membership.

I don't think they deceived you. I think you were foolish for thinking you could sign up to a trial, immediately get the member's price, then cancel without having to pay a dime.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't think they deceived you. I think you were foolish for thinking you could sign up to a trial, immediately get the member's price, then cancel without having to pay a dime.[/quote]

How was I foolish to believe I was going to get a member discount, when they told me I was going to get the discount?

why should they give you a member price when offically you were never a memeber. Tons of people probally did this and now will complain to Gamefly and Gamefly will never do this again. you can thank all the people who tried it

Another online game site is the same. you can play as a diamond member with a 30 day refund. IF you ask for the refund of your money within 30 days they WILL NOT allow you to keep the Buxs you won so why should Gamefly allow you to keep your cheaper prices ... You should be happy you got free shipping

I got a question for you. Target refuses to sell me a Game at 52% off even though their raincheck policy says i can sub it for another game. If you want to talk about a store not following their own rules look at target. (though im going to hit another one tomorrow and hopefully pick it up)

Why are people (scorch and slidecage) jumping on this guy.

Dude said a GF rep told him he'd get the savings during the trial membership and that's the only reason he signed up for it. Then when he found out he had been lied to (probably just an oversight, but it was still a lie) he went through their process to cancel his trial. But it turns out they didn't actually cancel him

Personally, if I got a response from an official CS rep of a company that turned out to be crap, I would be pissed.

Anyway if this is just an isolated incident and they don't charge you for anything, it was probably just a simple case of the operator not putting it in the system correctly when you called. Hopefully this isn't a case of Gamefly turning into AOL when it comes to cancelling an account. I'm sure most people wouldn't have noticed they were now getting discounted member prices on gamefly and a good portion wouldn't even have noticed the recurring charge on their CC (it happens).

I think posting what happened here is a good start, if a bunch of others complain that the same thing happened to them maybe you should take it further. If not take them at their word that it was just a case of forgetfullness and leave it at that.

Or you could write a letter (not an e-mail) to the head of Gamefly or the head of customer relations (I don't have any of that info) and explain what happened to you. Maybe they'll respond and do something for you, maybe not.

[quote name='Follandboy']Back when Gamefly started the huge sale on games on their site I emailed their support to see if trail members saved money on used games. They replied as yes. So I signed up for it.

After I found this out, I went to cancel my membership. On there website, it says all you need to do to cancel is to go to the My Account page and click on cancel.

PROBLEM 2: After you click on cancel, it forces you to call up their customer service to cancel.

I looked on their site the other day, which was about 5 days after canceling and I noticed I was suddenly getting the subscriber price on used games.

PROBLEM 3: I called up Gamefly to ask them why I was getting the discount and they told me that they "Forgot" to cancel it.

It seems to me that Gamefly is really trying to take advantage of there customers and is really using some very shaddy practices. I would think that these practices are probably illegal.

I subscribed just to get the discount. I was using the free trial and was going to calll before the 10 days was up. I forgot and 2 days past the end of the free trial, I called to cancel. They let me cancel and refunded my account the money since I hadn't rented a game.

They are very nice people. Just be nice when you call, and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

What should I do to make Gamefly change these polocies?[/quote]

[quote name='Follandboy']Back when Gamefly started the huge sale on games on their site I emailed their support to see if trail members saved money on used games. They replied as yes. So I signed up for it.

What should I do to make Gamefly change these polocies?[/quote]

I subscribed just to get the discount. I was using the free trial and was going to calll before the 10 days was up. I forgot and 2 days past the end of the free trial, I called to cancel. They let me cancel and refunded my account the money since I hadn't rented a game.

They are very nice people. Just be nice when you call, and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Cancelling is easy, you just click on cancel account in the options. I did that before I went on vacationlast month and had no problems. I'd say they got really busy with the sale and passed over your cancellation, don't start hating them, just be nice and they'll fix it and refund any money they charged you for.

I am shocked anybody had a problem with gamefly. They are,by far,the best company Ive ever dealt with. I do know you have to call in to cancel a trial now, but thats no big deal to me. I got in on a longer trial and they not only gave me that, also I got to get in on the summer offer AND get a referal for my friend. It was insane. I got like 2 months for $13.95. And he got $10 towards games.

I have to agree with everyone here. Your bad experence was probably due to the sale and subsequent overload. I love gamefly. I do. So much so I stuck with them over other rental places even though they are on the opposite coast.

bread's done
Back