Problem with M&L Superstar Saga

jah2004

CAGiversary!
Well, I was playing the game today and I am about 11 hours into the game. I hit a save point and then the game freezes up. I then restart the game, only to find that all 3 files of the game were erased! There is absolutely nothing left and I have to start the game over to play. My question is, has anybody ever had a GBA cartridge erased like this and what did you do about it? Would Nintendo replace the game if I contacted them? If I knew this wouldn't happen again it wouldn't be a problem, but I dont have time to restart games when I am this far in. I don't have my Gamestop receipt so I can't exchange it there.

Purchased used or new? The only time I've ever had an issue with a GBA cart was a copy of Shining Soul purchased used online from EBGames, which turned out to be a bootlegged cart, and it wouldn't hold a save file. I still had my packing slip, so I was able to get a refund. The publisher might be able to provide some warranty fulfillment, if purchased new. If it was used, you might still call the store and ask about at least an exchange for the same title, if you haven't had it long.

I bought this used at Gamestop probably in September 2005. But the freezing issue has come up about three times. Unless Gamestop may sell bootlegs I don't think it is. But it is probably too late to take it back to GS without a receipt.

gamestop may sell used bootlegs. there used to be a stickied thread on nintendo's forums about how to spot them, but i don't see it anymore.

If you bought it used, there's a slight chance it's a bootleg. They're supposed to check for signs of whether GBA games were real or not, but there's always the chance of incompetent workers or a bootleg form they're not aware of.

If you can see inside of the cart just above the contacts for the cart, it should say nintendo on it. If it doesn't, then it is 99.9% bootleg.

[quote name='banpeikun']i've never heard of any game store employee checking whether a cartridge game is bootleg.[/QUOTE]

Really? They're supposed (meaning required) to check if GBA carts are real or not in my area.. EB is anyway, but not sure what happened after the merge.

I've been a victim of a bootleg before, several times actually. You can almost instantly tell over here in Europe, the official GBA cartridges have awesome quality when compared to a bootleg. On the bootleg, the 'sticker' is of a very cheap/crap quality, and on the back of every single bootleg I own (about 5) there's some form of random sticker covering the screw on the back. I've seen Pikachu, 'do not open,' and various other random stickers warning you not to open the cartridge up. These are all dead giveaways, try checking out your cartridge. My MegaMan Battle Network 2 is a bootleg, it was a perfect copy (apart from the hardware part) but now doesn't hold a save at all.

bread's done
Back