Program alert: A&E's "Intervention" TONIGHT!

TXboxGuY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48688

The show starts in about 10 min. and repeats in 3 hours.

"The stories of two people who need the intervention of family and friends to save them from their addictions. Renee's eating disorder has become so dangerous that it is threatening her health, marriage, finances, and even the custody of her two small children. And Peter is so addicted to video games that he identifies himself as the characters in the games he plays and refers to other characters as people he hangs out with."

Crazy.......The show was a serious biased opinion through video clips that were obviosly picked out for a reason (to show how someone looks when they stay up all night playing video games)...I didn't see that this guy "Peter" was so bad actually. The other people on this show have real problems like Crack, Coke, Meth, Balemia, and gas huffing. You cannot put video games even close to the category that these real problem addictions are in. If anything...now Peter has much better hand/eye coordination. He also seemed to get alot of excercise from playing Dance Dance Revolution. Nothing wrong with that...Did anyone see what other games he was playing? I couldn't tell the other games, but I did see what system he was playing..He was playing an XBOX so watch out kids or you'll be addicted!!!!! Everyone needs help for their video game addiction... We are all addicted and we all have problems...Please help me.

I wish I had his or her life. Sure, they have addictions, but they don't appear to have any real responsibilities to care of. Renee's husband allows her to stay home all day and go out to multiple fast food resteraunts. Peter's father feels so bad for him that he allows him to endlessly play games without any reprecussions.

A few thoughts:

-Peter's videogame addiction (which I do think it was by definition) is the least of his problems. More on that later.

-Renee is a classic example of a trauma survivor (anybody who listens to 'Loveline' on the radio will know exactly what I'm talking about).

-One line from Renee struck me. "My mom was too caught up in her own drama to properyly take care of me." But look what she's doing to her own kids! Her children were very young, but they were already saying things like "I worry about my mom because she gets very depressed." Those kids are going to need some serious therapy if they hope to have a chance later on.

-There's got to be more to Renee's husband than meets the eye. He couldn't even pull it together for her Intervention? Considering Renee's childhood and her past abusive relationships (and she hasn't therapy or anything), I would say that there's something up with him. I don't know which end of the spectrum though, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a child molestor. She could've done a 180 though, and he could just be a huge wimp.

-Peter's mother is one of the worst people alive on this Earth. I have half a mind to punch up Tulane's webpage and emailing her in disgust.

-That being said...this is one of the problems that I have with the show (perhaps even the concept of "Interventions" in general). Most often (underline most), the person's addiction is the cause of something traumatic in their past. Either a chaotic household, being molested as a child, something along those lines. Peter's personality and problems are a DIRECT result of his horrible, horrible mother (the Dad probably isn't anything wonderful either. They didn't show much of him, but that might translate into him being too apathetic and neglectful in terms of child-raising).

Peter's mom left the family when Peter was 14, to persue her teaching career in another state. Now when you look at today's court system, divorces will RARELY award full custody to the father, unless the mother is severely messed up. I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall in the court room for the divorce proceedings. But please, Peter tried to kill himself after she left. DUH!

I'm not saying that everybody who get's divorced is horrible. Things happen, and sometimes you have to split up in the best interests of the child. Peter's mom completely abandoned the family for her own self-serving interests, and has since stayed completely out of his life. She sees him twice a year, and they shake hands when they meet. Yet the mother is complaining that "she doesn't want to lose him"!? !!!!!!!!!!!!???????????? YOU ABANDONED HIM!

Peter had a videogame addiction, and I don't disagree with that. The definition of addiction is that you can't stop in the face of consequence. Peter is 21, and is just living at his Dad's house and not seeking employment at all. His female friend was beginning to get distant also. Basically, he was wasting his life, with no clear intention of moving forward in his life/career.

-So here's the thing. Instead of focusing on the addiciton, they should've looked at what CAUSED it. I think the interventionist saw right through the mother, which is why he had Peter talk to the girl. I mean hell, the brother looked bored just to be there, stoicly and lazily reading from his sheet of paper. It's no surprise that Peter turned out the way he did, and I don't blame him for it at all. Heck, like I said, these addicts don't just happen to try drugs, and innocently get sucked in to a raging addiction. There's always a cause behind these things, but in Peter's case it was painfully, painfully obvious.

It would have been MUCH more beneficial to Peter (and everybody), if he had gotten some general therapy to deal with his abandoning witch of a mother. The mother should also seek treatment, so that she may grow a soul and stop living in denial.

Not the best episode, but better than I thought it would be.

I agree with your insights on the mother, she pissed me off the most during the episode. Obviously the guy was addicted to video games and hopefully the place he went to helped and all, but his mother has some serious issues that need resolved with the rest of the family. I must say I was suprised at how recent it was, I mean I figured it had to have happened with in the past year, but when he talked about playing the Punisher, which just came out in Jan., I was a little shocked. In any event I enjoyed that it was taken seriously and hopefully something will be done to fix that family, otherwise I figure the younger brother is next in line to have a serious problem. On another note when he was heading to the intervention I mentioned to my girlfriend that I thought it would have been funny if he wipped out a GBA or DS while everyone was talking, not necessarily funny "ha ha", unless your desensitized like me, but just funny interesting.

The sole purpose of the intervention is just getting them into a program for their addiction/illness. I think that during that time they are receiving some type of counseling, and are probably recommended a continuation of therapy after the program is over. Whether they go or not is a different story. Addictions don't just happen out of the blue, and the intervention is just a means to get them on the therapeutical track - making them realize they have a problem.

Renee was a good example of a person who knew she had a problem (it had affected her to a point where she could recognize it), and really wanted to make it better. She was continuing the program even after the required time was up. Peter, on the other hand, did not think he even had a problem, and thus he won't try to change. Playing videogames constantly hasn't affected him in a way that has made him see it is barring him. He only did the treatment so he wouldn't lose his best friend. Granted, he completed it, but he hasn't followed up.

BTW, Peter's mother pissed me off as well. Her asking him "why are you doing this?", when it was so painfully obvious that he went downhill right after the divorce. A terrible terrible mother.

It was ok. I agree that Peter's mother is a selfish biatch. Even during the intervention it sounded more like she was lecturing him and feeling sorry for herself than concerned about him. And the dad and brother's crappy letters sure didn't convince Peter that they were worried about him or that he was hurting the people around him.

I wish the episode would have had more follow-up. Like, is he still playing games as much as he did before? (they just mentioned he still plays). What did he think about the treatment? What is his relationship with his girlfriend now? What is she thinking?

Actually, I think it's questionable that Peter needed that much help. I agree that therapy would have helped and he could have gotten his feelings out about his abandonment, but I think the real solution would have been his father forcing him to get a job or go to school and pay for rent/insurance/his own videogames. By forcing him to go out for 43 days, he probably lost more base with the girl who had the real potential to stop or reduce his gaming. In the end we see that he hasn't changed and we no longer know if she's even part of the equation anymore.

As a side note, Renee's best friend was a real cry baby. Does she really care that much? As for her husband, that did seem a little strange to me as well. Especially the portion where he felt so guilty about having to lie about the intervention and not being able to confront her. You're probably right that there is something being concealed from us. He portrays a real "victim attitude".

I was recently just like Peter. And for a long time.

I got into games when I was little and used to play a lot of Zelda 1. I used to play the games for fun, and being young, it didn't really interfere with anything.
I played Hockey for 9 years Baseball for 5, and Soccer for 6. I quit Baseball and Soccer some years before, and when I turned 17 I had become so obsessed with video games that I ended up quitting Hockey as well. I kept saying "Well, at least I can still write" - I was at the time a good writer (Had won an award at a reigon-wide young authors' conference, and read a lot of fantasy books; wrote LotR spinoffs when I was about 9), but...when I was 17, I had quit doing that, too. I was wrapped up in games, staying up until 3AM and still waking up at 7:30 for school.

As for passtimes, I ended up with nothing but playing hours upon hours of every Final Fantasy, Shining Force, Breath of Fire, and countless other games. I'd become unfit and eventually obese. I was 5'10" 225 lbs.; never cared to cut that out, either, because exercising meant less time to play video games. That was until two years ago when I decided to do something about it. Today I am 5'11" 165 lbs. and muscular again, back to the normal workout routine that I had ditched when I was playing hockey.

To draw comparisons, my brother also played hockey. When he was little, he played just as much Zelda as me. Today, he has a scholarship to a good University and is 6'2" 205 lbs. and has been an NHL prospect for a year; he's a year and a half younger than me.

I wanted to get a job writing video games (the Quest for Glory series' creators inspired me), and tried for years to get a demo out, but I was too wrapped up in playing games to learn how to program or use Photoshop or anything. I'd sit down and think for about 15 minutes before thinking to myself, "Maybe I can get some cool ideas from that new game I just bought".
Playing so many video games caused my grades to drop (I stopped caring to do homework) and I almost didn't finish high school. I got kicked out of my AP classes in 10th grade and never improved enough to .

From ages 16 to about a month ago, I worked low-pay jobs; all of my money went towards games and gas. I don't think I ever saved more than $10 per bi-weekly check, which was around $200.

Most of my family lives across the country now (my brother upstate, my sister holds a job as a medical rep all over the state, my little sister is a skier travelling to Austria and Norway and is in a camp in Oregon) so they hadn't seen the worst of it. In fact, a lot of them thought that I was over my problem since I had taken the liberty of exercising again, but they were wrong. Exercise took an hour a day, two hours at most. I still wasn't writing, either.
So, my family has achievers - a 4-year college grad, an NHL prospect on scholarship, and a skiing prodigy - and then me, living at home playing video games in my third year of college with an undeclared major.

When World of Warcraft came out, I wanted to make it a job. A friend of mine had made thousands of dollars one summer by playing Shadowbane and selling gold, and the summer after had made a good sum selling Star Wars Galaxies credits; I had anticipated World of Warcraft for so long that I went and bought 2 copies and started saving for a second computer (My current one cost me $2500 custom-built and I wanted to 'clone' it) so that I could play two characters at once, level them both fast, and sell gold to make cash. That fell through and I just ended up playing a lot. In fact, I took a week off of work and skipped classes the week it came out (I made lv50 in less than a week, was easily among the top 20 on the server, Warsong, that week). That continued to get worse until a few weeks ago. A month ago I decided it was time to quit; I would round off my next character and sell the account and be done.
Exams were creeping up and I wasn't ready. This was just last week. I have an exam tonight that if I wasn't up until 4:30 AM every night all weekend studying for (making up for lost time), I would be far from ready for. Last weekend, I played WoW for 20 hours in a 48 hour period because I wanted to finish off my character as fast as possible.

So there I was, lying in bed, thinking to myself, "So, am I going to be done?"
I had a little conversation with myself, too. I thought of how fast I might be able to get ANOTHER character to level 60, and up the worth of the account in as little time as possible. Then I laughed at myself, in disbelief that I couldn't balance WoW and school. There must be thousands of people who can and are, so why can't I? How can I deal with it?
I decided that there was one way to deal with it. At about 1:30am (early bedtime for me) I leapt out of my bed and put all of my games in boxes, knowing that if I just quit WoW, I'd pick something else up in its place; I'd play Guild Wars, or FFXI again, or any of the still-unopened games that I had lying around. I just put them all away, ready to say goodbye to all of those games forever and think back on it with fondness before they started creating horrible memories, or worse - locking me into an empty existence of emotional dependance on video games.

I woke up the next morning (I hadn't slept much) restless, but I was happier than I had been in a long time. I had uninstalled every game from my PC, and put all my games in a box out of reach. When I woke up, I wasn't thinking of seeing what I could do in WoW in a half an hour before I went to class, I was thinking about school. And in class, I wasn't thinking about what I could get done before the guild's MC run that night or what to spend my accumulated DKP on, I was thinking about the math problems on the board and plate tectonics. And when I got home instead of opening WoW, I sat down and did my homework and then watched a movie - the first movie I'd seen (in or out of theatres) since Kingdom of Heaven came out in theatres (granted, it was just a rental of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that was half-over).

I have awoken happier every morning since.

It's been said that people often replace it with worse things - but I am hoping that my strong stance against drugs and alcohol will prevent anything of the sort. I may still need to work some things out with a counselor, but I'm feeling good about myself today, and don't see myself getting worse. I've thought about going back once or twice, and I've thrown the idea out each time - I know exactly what would happen, and I don't want it.

Ever go to gordie howe's restaraunt in traverse city sedmire? pretty good place and you always get a free mini hockey stick and pretzel when you order a rootbeer.

Yeah I used to go there a lot with my hockey teams (I live in Traverse City). It's not Gordie Howe's anymore, though, he disassociated himself with it. It's "Hockey Heroes", now.

[quote name='Sedmire']Yeah I used to go there a lot with my hockey teams (I live in Traverse City). It's not Gordie Howe's anymore, though, he disassociated himself with it. It's "Hockey Heroes", now.[/QUOTE]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo

bread's done
Back