Projector?

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
So, I bought a cheap-ass projector at the pharmacy... it's bad. Super bad. Going back for a refund tomorrow. I mean, I wasn't expecting IMAX theater quality or anything... but... wow. I didn't even know they made projectors that bad.

Does anyone know of a cheap projector that doesn't suck complete rear end?

How much are you looking to spend on a projector? I have a few I am looking to sell and/or I could answer any questions you have about projectors in general. Feel free to pm me or IM me on AIM (Panzer1982)

My dad has an HD (1080p) projector in the $2000+ range (not sure of the exact cost) and I've gotta say, for gaming, I'd just go for an LCD. Don't get me wrong, if you've got a bunch of friends that want to watch a movie or a football game (or play the occasional Wii), it's great; but the brightness, contrast, and overall picture quality is just not what I'd want for everyday gaming.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']How much are you looking to spend on a projector? I have a few I am looking to sell and/or I could answer any questions you have about projectors in general. Feel free to pm me or IM me on AIM (Panzer1982)[/QUOTE]

I'm not looking to spend much - at all. Like $100-$150. I know I'm not going to get anything fancy for that price, but something *decent* is what I'm looking at.

That is correct, for anything worth looking at, you're going to be spending ~600 or so, maybe less if you get a used/refurb. Projectors are not cheap enough for everyone, and dont forget the bulbs inside only last 3-4000 hours and cost 2-400 each to replace. If you only have 100-150, you should get a PC monitor that has hd inputs and use that for your display.

I am on my 4th projector setup and really love them, in fact watched Alien and Aliens Directors Cut blu-rays yesterday on them, looked absolutely stunning. I usually do multiplayer gaming on my smaller display (26"), and use the projector (106") when people come over. I use the projector for single player games however, im going through Ninja Blade on xbox 360 on the projector when i get a few free hours and its really awesome.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm not looking to spend much - at all. Like $100-$150. I know I'm not going to get anything fancy for that price, but something *decent* is what I'm looking at.[/QUOTE]

I can probably hook you up with a pretty decent one for maybe $200 shipped.... A REAL projector not the shitty ones you buy at toysrus and walmart....

I was afraid of that. I figured if the CVS had a crappy one for $100, I might be able to get a decent one for $150 or so online - but it was a long shot. :D

The thing is, I don't really need one, wouldn't use it often, and it's pretty much going to be a fancy toy... so spending too much on it would be silly.

DreamSymphony - tell me about the projector you've got. :D

If you're only looking to spend that much, you are SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better off just getting a 21"-23" LCD monitor.

Seriously, you're just going to waste your money if you try to get a projector on that budget.

Why are you so intent on getting a projector anyway? If it's to play with friends, then I would still go for the monitor in that price range. If it's to play by yourself, seriously do yourself a favor and forget about it.

[quote name='Scorch']You're not going to find something decent at that price.. for decent, you're looking at $600-$700[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Tooki']If you're only looking to spend that much, you are SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better off just getting a 21"-23" LCD monitor.

Seriously, you're just going to waste your money if you try to get a projector on that budget.

Why are you so intent on getting a projector anyway? If it's to play with friends, then I would still go for the monitor in that price range. If it's to play by yourself, seriously do yourself a favor and forget about it.[/QUOTE]

I already have a 37" TV for my game room.

I just want a projector because I saw one for $100 at CVS, brought it home, and was disappointed with it... :)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It wasn't THIS thing, was it? I looked into a cheap projector before going with my 21" monitor for my gaming needs.[/QUOTE]

lol... Nope. I wish I could remember the name on the box to see if I could find it online...

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the picture quality of projectors is so much worse than an LCD costing a fraction of the price that I would venture to say it is never worth getting one unless you are looking to set up a full high end (read: expensive) home theater.

Even with a high end, HD projector and a good screen, picture quality isn't always what you would expect. The room needs to be very dark (simply closing blinds/curtains is not necessarily enough), you will need to buy replacement bulbs, and the picture quality fades faster than with other forms of TVs and monitors. That said, if you do throw down the money for a good one, they can be really great if (and IMO, only if) you have lots of friends and family that would use it frequently in large groups.

I know it seems really cool to have a 110" screen and many of you may think it would be great to be able to play games on such a screen, but once you get over the initial "ooh and aah" factor, it is obvious you can do much better for much less. From personal experience I can tell you that in 98% of cases it is much more enjoyable to play games (and watch movies) on a 22" monitor than it is to do so on an HD projector.

[quote name='Tooki']Not to beat a dead horse here, but the picture quality of projectors is so much worse than an LCD costing a fraction of the price that I would venture to say it is never worth getting one unless you are looking to set up a full high end (read: expensive) home theater.

Even with a high end, HD projector and a good screen, picture quality isn't always what you would expect. The room needs to be very dark (simply closing blinds/curtains is not necessarily enough), you will need to buy replacement bulbs, and the picture quality fades faster than with other forms of TVs and monitors. That said, if you do throw down the money for a good one, they can be really great if (and IMO, only if) you have lots of friends and family that would use it frequently in large groups.

I know it seems really cool to have a 110" screen and many of you may think it would be great to be able to play games on such a screen, but once you get over the initial "ooh and aah" factor, it is obvious you can do much better for much less. From personal experience I can tell you that in 98% of cases it is much more enjoyable to play games (and watch movies) on a 22" monitor than it is to do so on an HD projector.[/QUOTE]

I can only reply with the comment of "you're obviously a peasant".

this is the one I got for $300 new on clearance at BB. Just extremely lucky. Again, this is only a decent entry level one too @ $650. i do love it to watch blu's at night with 7.1 sound!!!!

In your price range, you will only be able to afford mini or pico projectors, check em out on amazon, sometimes they have em on sale for like

i've had my infocus 4805 480p dlp projector since summer of 2005, still using it till the bulb goes out before buying a new one. i usually watch movies on it maybe 1 day a week now, was like every other day when i 1st got it, it has a 3000 hr life span bulb, and i'm around the 1400hr mark so i gotta ways to go still. Just a cool thing to have to be able to watch old movies that'll never be shown on a big screen again in your room on a big screen of your own. i bought it for 900.00 so i've got my moneys worth i think, but instead of buying a new bulb when it goes out ill put that towards a new projector. I just had to comment on my experience after reading the other poster saying how after you get over the ooh and ahh of a big screen its not that big a deal, i still love watching them on the big screen.

[quote name='shadowkast']this is the one I got for $300 new on clearance at BB. Just extremely lucky. Again, this is only a decent entry level one too @ $650. i do love it to watch blu's at night with 7.1 sound!!!![/QUOTE]

Hey cool, that's the projector that I just traded up from. It blew a bulb and BB basically said it was effed so I put the credit towards the Epson 8350. Now that thing is a beast, at least compared to the hd65. The Epson even looks better than my 47" phillips lcd, and it's 9 FEET WIDE!

bread's done
Back