Pros and Cons of X64 XP?

Pros -
Windows will recognize and utilize more memory! XP is limited to 4 Gigs of RAM while XP64 can recognize more (8GB, for example).
Improved stability since it uses the Windows 2003 64 bit kernel.

Cons -
Not a lot of 64 bit software available. In some cases 32 bit software will run slower on a 64 bit OS than on a 32 bit OS even though there is more memory available.
64 bit driver support is spotty at best. 32 bit drivers will not work on the 64 bit version of XP.

I wouldn't go with XP 64... it's definitely faster as an OS but only the most popular software and hardware support XP 64.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']But don't dual core processors run better with x64?[/QUOTE]

No, 64bit processors run better using a 64bit OS, software, and games. So XP 64 will run best with a 64bit processor.

[quote name='willardhaven']Quick question: can I use an XP64 cd-key on a regular XP install?[/QUOTE]

I actually don't think you can but why not try it? Worst that can happen is you get denied. You can also call MS and ask them if your CD-key is legal. Just ask them, "Is this XP CD-key a legal one?" and then tell them the XP 64 key. Make up some story about how you got it.

Pros: (Besides what has been mentioned)
Games w/ a 64bit patch runs great

Cons: Microsoft support = 0
Driver support sucks
Applications don't run well
Gametap won't work!

I'm running XP64 and well, I wish I wasn't

Is the 64 bit version of Vista any worse off than the 32bit?

XP = Solid
XP64 = Less than solid
Vista = Less than solid
Vista 64 = ?

I don't really see a reason to go with a 64-bit version of Windows for a home machine right now. The driver support is more limited and the only real benefit from it is the 64 bit memory addressing.

Unless you're doing an absurd amount of multitasking you won't likely see any benefit from having that much memory anyway. Every game benchmark I've seen shows an almost negligible improvement going from 1GB of RAM to 2. Supposedly Vista is able to utilize memory more effectively than Xp could but I have yet to see any actual test information that shows an appreciable gain from having more than 2GB of memory with Vista.

bread's done
Back