PROTOTYPE - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='VipFREAK']This seems like fun, but seems like it would get old like GTA does after 5 min.[/QUOTE]

The way it holds you in is unlocking the abilities. It's similar to the orbs in Crackdown. The problem with the Crackdown orbs is that you maxed out your abilities way too quickly and they had little impact on actually playing the game. Prototype fixes those issues. There are a ton of abilities to unlock and they have a pretty big impact on the game.

Yeah, I know. That's not very appealing to me. :cough:Too Human:cough: The bottom line is it's just not my interest, I think the game sounds pretty in depth though.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Yeah, I know. That's not very appealing to me. :cough:Too Human:cough: The bottom line is it's just not my interest, I think the game sounds pretty in depth though.[/QUOTE]

Too Human and Prototype are about as far away as you can get gameplay wise.

I figured someone would miss the point I was making... I was referring to the abilities and stuff in both games. I know they aren't the same, but Too human is the worst I've ever experienced for that stuff. I don't care if the game has it or not or if it's good or not, I don't feel like spending the time figuring it out and repeating the process.

I'm /somewhat/ interested. But I've developed an allergic reaction to the words Anti and Hero used in conjunction.

I'm also curious about how the game plays if you're not so keen on eating/absorbing people. I know, I know, most everyone loves teh cannibalizy for shizzy, but... eh. Are there multiple ways to approach situations?

[quote name='Gourd']I'm /somewhat/ interested. But I've developed an allergic reaction to the words Anti and Hero used in conjunction.

I'm also curious about how the game plays if you're not so keen on eating/absorbing people. I know, I know, most everyone loves teh cannibalizy for shizzy, but... eh. Are there multiple ways to approach situations?[/QUOTE]

There are multiple ways to approach situations, but there is no avoiding consuming some people because there are a few required for missions. You will probably need to consume lots of other stuff (because consuming things gives you life), but you can choose to avoid to avoid consuming humans. The animation for the consumption process is stylized so doesn't make it feel like you're eating them.

And if it makes you feel any better he's more of a Byronic Hero than an anti hero. Although feel free to hate on the anti hero because Radical is the one that first threw the term out there.

One of the most violent games I've played. It's kinda like a cross between Spider-Man (running up walls, gliding through the air) and Crackdown (gameplay). It's fun, it's a definite rental at the very least. It's also pretty funny to change into civilians and still cut people up.

The epic elbow drops are awesome.

//edit: before I'm asked.. a local mom and pop store put it out early.

I will wait for a few more reviews before I waste 60 bucks...if they come in 8's and such, I will wait until if falls to under 45...or get it used.

arggghh..June 9th can't come soon enough! I've been playing inFamous, and its definitely missing that "badass" characteristic that I think Prototype will have.

[quote name='carbontiger']arggghh..June 9th can't come soon enough! I've been playing inFamous, and its definitely missing that "badass" characteristic that I think Prototype will have.[/QUOTE]

You mustn't be playing Infamous correctly, then.

Either way, I'm still 50/50 on this game. I think I'll wait for reviews before purchasing.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']You mustn't be playing Infamous correctly, then.

Either way, I'm still 50/50 on this game. I think I'll wait for reviews before purchasing.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing "good" so I guess I can't be destructive enough for my own tastes. :D

Then again, a correct/incorrect design would defeat the spirit of open world, wouldn't it.

[quote name='Sparta Omni']What would you rate it so far?[/QUOTE]

It's a solid 7, but I only played the intro. It's one of those lame intros where it gives you all of the powers then does an "18 days ago.." story and you lose everything again. If you love sandbox games, this one's easily an 8.5.

The combat was insane, violence was off the charts. I really, really like how when you hold the left trigger to target then hit an attack button (X for light, Y for heavy), no matter where you are, he zooms towards them and your attack will hit. He automatically runs over cars, no need to jump over them. Controls are a breeze. In addition to flying, he can also glide through the air and do quick teleport bursts by hitting the right trigger. Oh, and his heavy attack when he has the claws is sick.. he slams his hand to the ground and his claws jut up from the ground a few feet in front of him, impaling whoever. And you can pick up downed enemies' weapons. Always a plus.

Prototype definitely has more of a badass characteristic feel to it from the getgo. If you play through inFamous as a good person, you probably don't get that sense of destruction that you get with Prototype. I'm sure that changes when you play on evil, though.

In the inFamous versus Prototype battle.. it's really hard to vote for either. Both are extremely fun to play. inFamous is a little more realistic in climbing and things like that, but with Prototype, you're disguising yourself as people, morphing your hands into claws, blades, huge hulk-like hammers.. it's really your call. I was skeptical about Prototype, but not anymore. Game's just insanely fun.

scorch since u have red faction and prototype, which one would u pick if u could only pick one?
trying to decide which one to get when i get my 2nd credit for yf360g

[quote name='carbontiger']I'm playing "good" so I guess I can't be destructive enough for my own tastes. :D

Then again, a correct/incorrect design would defeat the spirit of open world, wouldn't it.[/QUOTE]

I played through as good as well, on Hard mode. I was very satisfied, at least the closer and closer I got to the end of the game, with how much of a badass Cole started to progress into. He starts out weak, but then becomes pretty badass when it's all said and done.

I'm sure by playing as evil Cole, it will make the game 10x better, and make him 10x more badass; but I also chose the "good" side for my first play. Definitely going to do a second play very soon as evil Cole.

Between Red Faction and Prototype.. umm.. I think I might give the edge to Red Faction at the moment, just for the freedom of it (and the beautiful, beautiful destruction.. seriously, you can destroy everything). I'll have to play Prototype more

//edit: Some other people have it early as well, here's a gameplay video from Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3qngZfTnM

[quote name='foxdvd']I will wait for a few more reviews before I waste 60 bucks...if they come in 8's and such, I will wait until if falls to under 45...or get it used.[/QUOTE]

It seems a little ridiculous to assign a score to purchase intent. Even mid-low 80's doesn't mean a game isn't worth full price. See:

Dead Rising - 85
Crackdown - 83
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 82
Saints Row - 81
Prince of Persia - 81
Assassin's Creed - 81

While there were some things about those games that turned some people off, I thought they were all worth every penny.

[quote name='Scorch']Game's just insanely fun.[/QUOTE]

Wait until you get all your powers and are able to fly helicopters. Jumping out of a helicopter and then gliding through the air to take down another one is insanely fun. Do you have any of the devistator attacks yet?

Score! I just talked to a buddy of mine who has a distributor as a client. I'm getting it this afternoon. Will update when I do!

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']
I'm sure by playing as evil Cole, it will make the game 10x better, and make him 10x more badass; but I also chose the "good" side for my first play. Definitely going to do a second play very soon as evil Cole.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Second playthrough will def. be evill. Red electricity! Mwahahahaha!!

[quote name='Scorch']One of the most violent games I've played. It's kinda like a cross between Spider-Man (running up walls, gliding through the air) and Crackdown (gameplay). It's fun, it's a definite rental at the very least. It's also pretty funny to change into civilians and still cut people up.

The epic elbow drops are awesome.

//edit: before I'm asked.. a local mom and pop store put it out early.[/QUOTE]

You got a picture of the game, case and receipt?

[quote name='guinaevere']Talk from leaks (including a store breaking street date or piracy) isn't permitted.[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

There's no rule against a store breaking street dates as long as the person posting can prove it's a retail copy.

[quote name='jkanownik']It seems a little ridiculous to assign a score to purchase intent. Even mid-low 80's doesn't mean a game isn't worth full price. See:

Dead Rising - 85
Crackdown - 83
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 82
Saints Row - 81
Prince of Persia - 81
Assassin's Creed - 81

While there were some things about those games that turned some people off, I thought they were all worth every penny.[/QUOTE]

I think it is a little ridiculous to pay 60 bucks for a game that is going to be at least 10 bucks cheaper in a month unless it is a GREAT game. That is why I am on a board dedicated to cheap games. Very few games are so good you have to have them the moment they come out. Prototype is a new game, with no pedigree built in. When Gears of War 2 came out, we all knew what we were getting, and when the reviews confirmed that they had not fucked it up, it was a day one purchase for me. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2....Day one..as long as a bunch of 7's don't pop up.

Prototype is a game that I have NO idea what to expect. Reviews are the only way to judge the game. I never take one or two reviews, but if the average reviews are in the 80's, I will hold off. If it starts to get 9's and 10's...I will probably pick it up.

Of the games you listed above, the only ones I felt were better than the reviews.... Saints Row 2 and Crackdown.

Dead Rising - 85----I would have given it an 80
Crackdown - 83----a solid 90...
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 82----about right
Saints Row - 81---95..one of the best games of the year.
Prince of Persia - 81---about right.
Assassin's Creed - 81---maybe a bit to low...

[quote name='guinaevere']Talk from leaks (including a store breaking street date or piracy) isn't permitted.[/QUOTE]

I still don't understand that rule. I understand there are people here that fuck their 360's, but I'm not one of them. Regardless, I'd still like to see what some people think about certain games before I get a chance to play it. In this case, since there's been little coverage on Prototype's actual gameplay, I thought I'd share, since I found it early (and it seems lots of Wal-Mart stores are putting this out early as well, since people on GF are posting about finding it there).

That rule makes as much sense as banning previews and gameplay videos from the site.

[quote name='Scorch']I still don't understand that rule. I understand there are people here that fuck their 360's, but I'm not one of them. Regardless, I'd still like to see what some people think about certain games before I get a chance to play it. In this case, since there's been little coverage on Prototype's actual gameplay, I thought I'd share, since I found it early (and it seems lots of Wal-Mart stores are putting this out early as well, since people on GF are posting about finding it there).

That rule makes as much sense as banning previews and gameplay videos from the site.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one dude, but there was a poll on the feedback forum that Cheapy posted, asking the CAG community on whether they thought early game discussion would be acceptable or not...CAG voted, and it's not allowed.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I'm with you on that one dude, but there was a poll on the feedback forum that Cheapy posted, asking the CAG community on whether they thought early game discussion would be acceptable or not...CAG voted, and it's not allowed.[/QUOTE]
The poll only regarded pirated material. If anyone can prove they have a retail copy when they talk about it early, then nothing is wrong.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']The poll only regarded pirated material. If anyone can prove they have a retail copy when they talk about it early, then nothing is wrong.[/QUOTE]

Cheapy never made a final decision, either.

Last I heard he was thinking it over because the poll results were so close.

[quote name='Trakan']Cheapy never made a final decision, either.

Last I heard he was thinking it over because the poll results were so close.[/QUOTE]
So then it doesn't matter either way.

The discussion didn't have anything to do with games that were obtained early through legitimate means. It only had to do with piracy.

I've been trying to kill time while I wait for Prototype to come out they did some funky marketing integration with your Facebook which was a little eerie and fun for a few minutes. Here's the link: http://www.prototype-experience.com/ For all you contest lovers (look at the board we post on), you can post the link after you watch the video onto your Facebook to get a chance to win an Xbox 360 or a copy of the game itself.

I also bought the first comic book issue of Prototype and did a little write up or you can at least take a peek at some of the images from the issue if you're interested. I'll probably pick up the next few when I get a chance. Warning: Pregnant mutant zombies. Prototype Issue #1.

To back up what other's have said, it's not a street dated title. It should ship out to stores on Tuesday, but it seems some Wal-Marts have gotten them in early. GS should get it in on Wednesday, unless the stores opt to do same day shipping, which they may.

I'm still disappointed how there's absolutely no reviews out yet and there's only two days until it's out (according to Metacritic).

Same here. I've seen a lot of good previews of it, but not a overview of the game. I'm going to pick it up regardless on tuesday, but it'd be nice to have something, even if it's a shitty review from IGN.

Ouch! I wonder who else's reviews are regarded as shitty, as well. I didn't even realize that there isn't a single review floating around that I've seen and it's so close to release. Hmm! Maybe there is an embargo not to post one up until actual release, weird that they'd do that even for the big sites though.

Maybe the game is SO long that they are taking the time to play through the whole game before posting a review. I don't know. Well I've heard it was fun so far from a few writers I know that have been playing it. :]

I have to pick only one new game this month due to cash flow limitations (I'm mostly broke) and I was thinking this one was going to be it. But it does seem like the buzz on this game seems to have really died down lately when you would think it would be getting louder. Maybe it's just the release timed with E3 getting all the coverage. I guess I will wait and see what some of the reviews have to say.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Get Prototype...you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

Can you give us a mini-review of your impressions so far? I actually just canceled my pre-order on Amazon before after watching clips on Justin.tv, since it really just looked like it was Web of Ultimate Destruction with a new skin (Web of Shadows / Hulk: UD).

If it's really that good, I'll re-order it now.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Can you give us a mini-review of your impressions so far? [/QUOTE]
He can't because he downloaded it illegally and played it on his modded 360.

Not sure if it was already mentioned, but there is a review out for the PS3 version in some UK magazine. They gave it a 9/10.

I also think Linkin doesn't want people to know he downloaded the game illegally. That's probably why he deleted my post.

[quote name='Scorch']Regardless, I'd still like to see what some people think about certain games before I get a chance to play it.[/quote]Then maybe hit a site that allows the leaked info, or wait till it's out and see what people say then?

That rule makes as much sense as banning previews and gameplay videos from the site.
Official previews are fine. It's the leaked stuff that apparantly isn't permitted. I'm too foggy to find the rule in the FAQs right now, but here's from Casey.

[quote name='guinaevere']Then maybe hit a site that allows the leaked info, or wait till it's out and see what people say then?

Official previews are fine. It's the leaked stuff that apparantly isn't permitted. I'm too foggy to find the rule in the FAQs right now, but here's from Casey.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to say whether you are right or wrong on this situation since I honestly don't know, but isn't that one about the Wolverine movie that was leaked early? If so, that wasn't a legally bought item anyways which is completely different than a game that was sold a little early. I personally don't see why it should be an issue if it is discussed so long as the person giving their review or whatever can provide solid proof that they bought it, but that is my opinion on it. I think there is also a huge difference if the person has the game a month early posting something over something that comes out a week or even a few days later. It isn't like the people here are talking about leaked movies or games (pirated versions), they are talking about the full retail game where they can give a fair opinion on it.

Edit: Just read a little more and that whole topic appears to be referring to illegal downloads which isn't the case in here from what I was reading. Does that rule still apply to the legally bought items? That is a bit unfair if that is the case, but it isn't up to me obviously whether the site allows it or not.

As I understand it, official reviews, where a developer has given out content to be watched and/or played is fine. But when content (games/movies) is leaked early, no matter how or where, that is off limits.

But I could be wrong, I'll ask Cheapy and see what his take on it is. I'll try to catch him tomorrow morning so we can get this cleared up.

Apparently anyone who obtains a game before the release date got it illegally. I don't get that train of thought. There's people on here (Treehouse Gamer, I think), that seemingly work in the industry (he said he's beaten Ghostbusters months ago), and they can't talk about the games? Does this prohibit us from talking about demos such as Batman, since the game isn't released? Hell, even Linkin commented on the game, but then his post was deleted.

That "rule" should be abolished because as SlimJim mentioned, it was talking about a movie that was released on the internet where there's no possible way to obtain a legal copy of it. My copy of the game was not "leaked content", it's the full retail copy that a local store set out early and I was able to pick up.

But when content (games/movies) is leaked early, no matter how or where, that is off limits.

But I'm not discussing a "leak". I didn't download anything. I purchased the game from a retail outlet, as many others have done already, since apparently Wal-Mart is putting them out early. It'd be different if I mentioned that I downloaded it and blah blah blah, but I don't do that shit, I've had friends that are developers and I see how it impacts them.

Even though this isn't the place to discuss it, I completely agree that the rule is silly.

I personally don't care how someone got the game, I just want to hear feedback on it so I can decide whether or not to buy it myself.

For those that are downloading, do I want to hear about what site they snagged it from? Not really. But to have feedback on the game to share and not be able to..it just seems wrong.

I personally put much more value on the word of mouth from gamers than any review site. I want to know what CAGs think - and the earlier, the better.

[quote name='Scorch']Apparently anyone who obtains a game before the release date got it illegally. I don't get that train of thought.[/QUOTE]I didn't say it was obtained illegally. Though the majority of the time, around here at least, that is the case.

There's people on here (Treehouse Gamer, I think), that seemingly work in the industry (he said he's beaten Ghostbusters months ago), and they can't talk about the games?
If the guy is legally cleared by the developers to discuss the game publicly, there's no problem.

Does this prohibit us from talking about demos such as Batman, since the game isn't released?
Obviously, an official demo has never been a problem.

Hell, even Linkin commented on the game, but then his post was deleted.
The post was deleted because it didn't adhere to the rules.

That "rule" should be abolished because as SlimJim mentioned, it was talking about a movie that was released on the internet where there's no possible way to obtain a legal copy of it.
What I linked to is in harmony and reflects what is permitted here at CAG, for movies, tv, books, music, et cetera and games.

But I'm not discussing a "leak". I didn't download anything.
Leaked content does not have to be downloaded.

[quote name='Yanksfan']I personally don't care how someone got the game, I just want to hear feedback on it so I can decide whether or not to buy it myself.[/QUOTE]Again, you dont have to buy it on day one, now do you? You can wait till its out and the industry and your fellow gamers have all had a chance to give you an idea on if it's worth it or not.

As for if you personally dont care how someone got a game, sorry, but so what? The issue isn't what you or I care about, but what the guy who is accountable for any and all legal repurcussions of posts/blogs on this site is concerned with.

I told you all that I'll run it by David, so that's where it currently stands. Any further debate on this issue in this thread will cause the thread to close until then.

bread's done
Back