PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
War Theater and Mecho Wars update on Indiegogo Luc will be back in the US on Oct 7th the games should be with him by then at that time he will send out a survey to see which backer want him to sign there games 

Play-Asia sent out an email that reprints of Gundam G Generation Genesis ($50) and Accel World vs. Sword Art Online ($40) are available to order and limited to 500 copies of each. 

Shipping for both comes out to $10 or if you want to split them each to use code NPE for $3 off.  FYI though, shipping for Gundam alone is almost $9. Didn't check for the other one.

Gundam: https://www.play-asia.com/sd-gundam-g-generation-genesis-english-subs/13/70a0nd??ref=email&sc_src=email_372306&sc_lid=33168206&sc_uid=vpnZqBV7wj&sc_llid=18823&sc_customer=d400b6d59d2a8b9f73663f6d24408cd9&utm_campaign=2019_10_03+Vita+Reprint&utm_medium=email&utm_source=PAEX

AWvsSAO: https://www.play-asia.com/accel-world-vs-sword-art-online-english-subs/13/70b4kt??ref=email&sc_src=email_372306&sc_lid=33168204&sc_uid=vpnZqBV7wj&sc_llid=18823&sc_customer=d400b6d59d2a8b9f73663f6d24408cd9&utm_campaign=2019_10_03+Vita+Reprint&utm_medium=email&utm_source=PAEX

Got to say I am a bit concerned that Play-Asia may not be interested in doing anymore R3 reprints as these two haven't sold out yet, at a mere 500 copies each, since going up for sale this past Wednesday. Already, thankfully, have that Gundam title, but I did get in one Accell World vs. Sword Art Online, as that was a RPG I was missing, and it was, prior to this reprint becoming available, commanding $90+ on Ebay.

Got to say I am a bit concerned that Play-Asia may not be interested in doing anymore R3 reprints as these two haven't sold out yet, at a mere 500 copies each, since going up for sale this past Wednesday. Already, thankfully, have that Gundam title, but I did get in one Accell World vs. Sword Art Online, as that was a RPG I was missing, and it was, prior to this reprint becoming available, commanding $90+ on Ebay.
Yeah, I was surprised about that.
If they were sold through LRG, like with Teslagrad, 500 wouldn't be enough. Just imagine the resellers going to eBay and seeing how much money they think they could make.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1181283415577874432

After this, just three more release days from LRG (Super Meat Boy, Papers Please, and Rocketbirds 1/2).

Some of you might remember that I ruined my original OLED Vita when it mistakenly ended up in the washing machine.  And I know that I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I wanted to ask you guys which Vita model I should go with to replace it - the original OLED or the LCD slim.  

I don't have the Slim model, but the general consensus seems to be the Slim because it's lighter and uses a regular USB charger, and the LCD screen is still really good. I guess it depends on how much you like the OLED screen.

Some of you might remember that I ruined my original OLED Vita when it mistakenly ended up in the washing machine. And I know that I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I wanted to ask you guys which Vita model I should go with to replace it - the original OLED or the LCD slim.
I got the OLED at launch, best impulse buy ever. I got an LCD neon orange version two years ago as a gift and I’ve never looked back. Besides the from factor, it feels better in my hands, the battery life is better. A lot better than my launch model. I was an OLED guy for years and was never going to get the new model. I’m glad I got one. It’s a great revision.

One thing to keep in mind with the OLED vita is the screen has a 12,000 hour life expectancy.  The LCD version is rated at about 4x the life.  Also there are many various issues that can creep up in the OLED screen.  I won't detail them all here, this is where you do your own research, but it's just worth noting that it's a bit of work to find one that's close to perfect.

I've only ever owned a 2000 model.  I didn't like the way the original felt in my hands when I tried it at a Best Buy shortly after launch.  The power being a regular type usb is a huge plus since those cords are cheap and you probably already have a few capable of doing the job.  Battery life is better, as noted, but you also get a slightly thinner and lighter device with the 2000.  There are a few other differences like the shape of the start/select/ps buttons and other minor things like the 2000 having 1gb of internal ram... but the ram thing doesn't really factor in too much since you can't use it once you put in a memory card.

Overall I think the biggest issue is going to be the OLED screen and trying to find one with a lot of life left in it with few of the defects.  Granted you'd need to play the vita bout 4.1 hours per day since launch to be near that limit of 12,000 hours... but that mark is a rough estimate it could last longer or not last that long.  The main thing is it has an expiration that is 4x sooner than the 2000 model.

For me, the 2000 is superior in every way to the 1000, with the screen being the only exception. I have smaller hands, and the 1000 was rather hefty and had rather hard lines in regards to comfort levels. Now, the LCD screen of the 2000 is no slouch, just not has nice as the OLED. There is a registry editor app for the Vita if you have CFW installed, and it changes the colors to show closer to those of the OLED and looks really nice overall.

The best anyone can guess is that this feature was needed for the 1000 to stop screen burn(turn down the colors), and once the slim was offered, it made the colors look show less bright, due to the LCD not having the range of the OLED. Sony should have adjusted this feature for the 2000 and left it on for the 1000, but I guess that would have required more work than they were willing to do. So the LCD shows much better than what is standard(much closer to OLED), so long as you have the means to change it.

Some of those who have bigger hands may prefer the 1000, as many here do, so it's all about personal preference when all is said and done. I also prefer the battery life, standard micro USB, game card slot placement, etc.

EDIT: Here's two comparison shots, and you can see the colors are not as dull as the slim, but not as eye burning as the OLED, really the best of both worlds IMO!

Slim limited RGB: https://i.imgur.com/b6tgSUO.jpg

Slim full RGB: https://i.imgur.com/epDW3Fo.jpg

Get whichever you find the better condition & deal on.
This. I have a bunch of 1000s and 2000s. I like the 1000s better because of the obvious screen superiority and the heftiness that fits my hands better. However, I play on a 2000 quite a bit as well. The screen of the 2000 still looks pretty good, plus the battery life is better. I take the 2000 with me when I'm on the go. I play the 1000 when I'm at home. They are both great machines. I'd definitely go with the one I could find in great condition and at a reasonable price. If buying used, then I'd recommend going with a Japanese dealer. Having bought a lot of used PSPs and Vitas, I have found that Japanese people take better care of their stuff, and the dealers more accurately describe their merchandise than other folks. In my experience a handheld listed as "Very Good" usually means close to flawless unless otherwise noted.

Don't get a 2000. It's lighter and thinner because it's more flimsy and built cheaper. Hardware revisions are always a cost-cutting measure for companies. You should only get them if they're more reliable than the original model like Xbox 360 and PS3 were. Vita is not. The 2000 can have stick drift issues. I don't think it's prevalent but it's just another pain point that doesn't exist on the 1000, so why take the risk?

Honestly, you shouldn't get a Vita anymore at this point. It was a glorious little machine, but it's time has past. I think you have (had?) an Nvidia Shield. If I were you, I would get a cheap laptop. I bought one recently myself for $150 and it's just great. Steam announced Remote Play Together today, which lets you play local multiplayer games online as if you were sitting on a couch with a friend similar to Ad-Hoc Party on PSP/Vita or Share Play on PS4. That's a major game changer IMO because PC has the biggest software library, and now you can play any Steam game that has multiplayer online.

Maybe you're doing this already too, but I always buy the cheap bundles from Humble Bundle and Fanatical, and for the price per game, it comes out cheaper than even Android games on sale. The games usually have more depth too.

The last exciting thing worth mentioning is that any cheap computer that can browse the web fast will have no problem running PlayStation Now or streaming from Xbox. You probably already know that Sony recently dropped the price on annual PS Now subscription. $5/mo. is chump change for 600 games if you haven't played most of them yet. And unlike on Vita, your saves will be stored in the cloud indefinitely. If you still had a Vita, you would have to get PS+ for $40 a year to ensure that your save games were backed up efficiently unless you mod your system. I also use Geforce Now, so between all the cloud services available on PC, it's like I have my own gaming rig.

Don't get a 2000. It's lighter and thinner because it's more flimsy and built cheaper. Hardware revisions are always a cost-cutting measure for companies. You should only get them if they're more reliable than the original model like Xbox 360 and PS3 were. Vita is not. The 2000 can have stick drift issues. I don't think it's prevalent but it's just another pain point that doesn't exist on the 1000, so why take the risk?

Honestly, you shouldn't get a Vita anymore at this point. It was a glorious little machine, but it's time has past. I think you have (had?) an Nvidia Shield. If I were you, I would get a cheap laptop. I bought one recently myself for $150 and it's just great. Steam announced Remote Play Together today, which lets you play local multiplayer games online as if you were sitting on a couch with a friend similar to Ad-Hoc Party on PSP/Vita or Share Play on PS4. That's a major game changer IMO because PC has the biggest software library, and now you can play any Steam game that has multiplayer online.

Maybe you're doing this already too, but I always buy the cheap bundles from Humble Bundle and Fanatical, and for the price per game, it comes out cheaper than even Android games on sale. The games usually have more depth too.

The last exciting thing worth mentioning is that any cheap computer that can browse the web fast will have no problem running PlayStation Now or streaming from Xbox. You probably already know that Sony recently dropped the price on annual PS Now subscription. $5/mo. is chump change for 600 games if you haven't played most of them yet. And unlike on Vita, your saves will be stored in the cloud indefinitely. If you still had a Vita, you would have to get PS+ for $40 a year to ensure that your save games were backed up efficiently unless you mod your system. I also use Geforce Now, so between all the cloud services available on PC, it's like I have my own gaming rig.
I don’t even own a Vita 1000 or 2000 and I can tell you this is crappy advice.

Thanks to everyone who responded today while I was at work.  Everyone gave intelligent responses, and I appreciate the feedback.  But I think that G_X51 hit the nail on the head because I don't have a lot of dough right now.    

And while it's true that I own enough gaming devices to choke a horse, I miss playing my Vita.  I even have a PlayStation TV, but it's not the same.  I used to play Spelunky everyday on my Vita during my lunch break at work, and that's something that I can no longer do, so I want to replace it.  Then, there's also the matter of the 30-plus physical games that I already own.  These aren't "limited run" games, but I've never even tried most of them.  So, I figured that it only makes sense to buy another one.  I was considering the Switch or Switch Lite, but buying one of those means starting a whole new obsession, and I have a lot less disposable income than I used to have.    

There is a pre-owned slim Vita at a GameStop store near me that I've been considering.  At the very least, I could take a look at it before I purchase it, and if it looks like it's been through the wringer, I'll just leave it there.  But I refuse to pay $200 to $300 on a new or used Vita even though prices seem to be on the rise.

One thing that I know for sure is that I will never take it anywhere near water.  As I was watching a teardown on YouTube, it was suggested that they short out easily if they get wet.  I'm considering doing a teardown on my OLED Vita, but it's probably rusted inside now.      

"Don't buy a 2000, buy a used 1000 because it has OLED" is advice that probably contributed to the Vita's failure

"buy out $100 memory cards" was more like it
I definitely would have bought a Vita earlier if it weren't for this. I had wanted one ever since launch, but there were just too many annoying little roadblocks that kept me away. By the time I bought one on sale Sony had basically given up.

"buy out $100 memory cards" was more like it
We've had this discussion here before, but to add to the pile... yeah Memory Cards from the get go were a huge deterrent for me. Couple that with most stores barely stocking the system and games (anywhere near where I live) and it seemed stupid to buy it. If not for the PSTV bundle going super cheap as an Amazon deal, I would have probably never got into the system because it just cost too dang much. Getting a PSP GO and having PS+ helped since that opened the door to me buying and getting free games. So I already had a digital library playable on the vita before even getting my first PSTV.

Once I got into playing the PSTV and started seeing it as my indie machine with some interesting japanese games, then I finally caved and bought an actual vita right before they all disappeared from most major retailers. It reminded me a lot of my experience with the Dreamcast and thinking the VMU prices were stupid but once everything went cheap before Sega abandoned it, which made getting into it much easier. Of course I never got a memory card deal for the Vita outside of my PSTV bundles (bought a backup), but the Dreamcast VMU's were pretty easy to collect once they hit $5-$10 (mostly at Toys R Us or Circuit City).. or cheaper used.

Now I've mostly migrated over to the Switch. That system has a lot of future left. Memory cards were never an issue for me with it. The only hiccup was buying extra controllers.. but really I didn't need to do that, I chose to do that for the potential multiplayer at home with my family.

I'm also a migrated to Switch guy. I'm going through my collection and playing ones that are exclusive or really good on Vita, such as P4Golden and the Soul Sacrifice sequel. I have 0 interest in what's being released these days, and have had a used 1000 for a while (stacking coupons and a blowout sale on Cowboom a while back) and loved the Vita for sure, but it's not my top choice for playing games these days. Also this may just be me but those little sticks are not always the easiest for me to use. That's something else though.  If anyone wants a Vita for sure just get something in good condition, though I would lean the newer just for the easier charging.

Just got one off of eBay for 130$ from a friend for my birthday with a 32gb men card . Anyone recommend fun games to play in short spurts my friend said it came with lumines.. so probably try that possibly also pick up my favorite psp game patchwork heroes too.

Lumins

Just got one off of eBay for 130$ from a friend for my birthday with a 32gb men card . Anyone recommend fun games to play in short spurts my friend said it came with lumines.. so probably try that possibly also pick up my favorite psp game patchwork heroes tooes
Lumines is always excellent. The Vita version of Katamari is great, if your back touchscreen works. Tearaway is pretty good, too, but don't expect much challenge with it (unless you want all of the trophies).

Just got one off of eBay for 130$ from a friend for my birthday with a 32gb men card . Anyone recommend fun games to play in short spurts my friend said it came with lumines.. so probably try that possibly also pick up my favorite psp game patchwork heroes too.
Depends what you like. there's a lot good indies that are pick up and play, but the vita has good standby capability with low battery consumption so you can also play normal games for a bit and come back to it easily.

Lumines is one of the best puzzle games tho imo. Some other good ones purely meant for pick and play are rogue legacy, hotline Miami, killzone mercenary is arguably the best fps for it, and then there's a plethora or visual novels too if you're into that

For visual novels it's a boatload of otome games localized by AKSYS, steins;gate and 0, danganronpa 1-3, zero escape games, and those horror visual novels ng and death mark. I'd also probably consider Punch Line a visual novel. I'm sure there's more but these are the ones from the top of my head as having physical copies (not counting LRG's nurse love games and another otome and house in fata morgana).

For visual novels it's a boatload of otome games localized by AKSYS, steins;gate and 0, danganronpa 1-3, zero escape games, and those horror visual novels ng and death mark. I'd also probably consider Punch Line a visual novel. I'm sure there's more but these are the ones from the top of my head as having physical copies (not counting LRG's nurse love games and another otome and house in fata morgana).
Didn't even mention any of the Code Realize games, or Hakuouki. :*(

One of the most underrated games, and also probably the best co-op, is Unit 13.

Didn't even mention any of the Code Realize games, or Hakuouki. :*(
I forget about IFI sometimes in its endless supply of okay RPGs. I did play the first Code:Realize and it is excellent with good characters and excellent graphics and a decent story. I haven't played the other but own them on PC I believe.

Need For Speed is good and isn't a huge downgrade over the console versions.

I second Need for Speed. My sons put hours in Most Wanted. Also remember to check your purchase history. When I got my first PSTV, I found stuff I grabbed from plus that I forgot about, even some games I received from back in the Qore days.

Any of the hunting games if you like that genre.
Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey, Soul Sacrifice, or Toukiden.

Also second Unit 13 is a great game. Loved it on vita.

So is it true that Vita carts only have a lifespan of about a decade while 3DS, Switch carts, etc. will last a lifetime due to the way they're manufactured? The Vita is one of the best systems to collect for but hearing that worries me.
You got a source for that or are you just spreading FUD?

Can you guys remind me what time Play Asia usually opens up their pre orders for sale?  Hoping to snag Knytt Underground this morning.

Figured it out, 11am EST.

The reddit thread is speculating based on no evidence other than the carts are EPROM based. Then ask if there are any facts to disprove their speculations with sources.

lol You don't make speculatings then ask for facts with sources to disprove your guesses. You first search for facts to prove your hypothesis probable/correct.

It's a bunch of BS, the 10 year number is coming out of someone's ass. People even replied having EPROM carts still working from the 90s.

It's one of those things that depends on storage conditions too. Put it in an outdoor shed in Phoenix will probably cause it to not last a decade.

The real thing to worry about is the shelf-life of Vita memory cards, or at least their overall stability. I've had Vita memory cards fail and have to be re-formatted multiple times. Thankfully, re-formatting usually does the trick and the cards can be used again afterwards. But it also means potentially losing save-game data and having to re-download titles. Very annoying.

I've never had a Vita cartridge fail, so that doesn't concern me nearly as much.

Memory format is definitely why the Vita tanked while the Switch has managed to take off so strong. Well, that and clear first-party support, obviously. Sony dropped support for the Vita quickly when it didn't light the world on fire. Nintendo tends to support any of their platforms much longer, even if they're struggling. But the memory format definitely helped the Switch, and in particular the Switch's digital storefront, soar. I hardly ever bought digital games on previous Nintendo systems. But I frequently pick up digital titles for my Switch. Micro SD makes it cheap and easy.

It's one of those things that depends on storage conditions too. Put it in an outdoor shed in Phoenix will probably cause it to not last a decade.
This. Just keep your stuff away from dust, moisture, and wild temperature swings and you'll be fine. In other words, don't keep dozens of CDs in your car in Minnesota for 10 years... (yep, learned that one first hand!)

bread's done
Back