PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

lastemp3ror

CAGiversary!
Feedback
292 (100%)
Since I thought the cheap 3DS games thread was a good idea. I thought I would start one for the PS Vita. I will maintain this site a few times a day going forward. Post links up to new deals and I will add them to the OP. Anyhow, here we go:

Updated 2/5/2014

Amazon:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational $15.50

Lumines- Electronic Symphony $18.49

MLB 12 The Show- $5.88

Silent Hill: Book of Memories- $11.68

Spy Hunter- $14.89

Gravity Rush- $18.53

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time- $19.12

Need for Speed: Most Wanted- $15.99

Persona 4 Golden - $19.99

Best Buy:

GameStop:

Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified $19..99 New/ $17.99 Used

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me how to redownload my Original Xbox and Playstation Mobile digital games/content.
Playstation Mobile is a completely different service that failed utterly, had virtually no sales or customer base. It is not the same as PSN and trying to compare the two in this regard is silly. In that case, supporting the servers -did- cost money that could never be recouped. It's apples and oranges.

Failed services are certainly at risk - be they music servers, game servers, whatever. PSN is has a huge, thriving catalog with new, exclusive content that people will be buying for the foreseeable future.

I own probably 50 PSM games (50 more than most), and thousands of dollars worth of PSN games (around 400 games for my vita, countless for my ps3, many for my ps4)... and I'm not worried in the least. Why be stressed about something so unlikely?

This is the best example that should end arguments about whether buying games digitally means you own them. They are non-transferable, revocable licenses that can be taken away from you at any time.

I only buy games physically, even if that means I have to miss out on a few titles I want to play (AA5, Yakuza 5). I want to own my games. The convenience of not having to switch discs/carts is not worth giving up all the rights that come with a physical copy.
Nobody is arguing that we 'own' them. Of course they're licenses. In most cases, so are physical. And physical has issues too with patch servers, etc, potentially going down. It's an imperfect industry with a lot of flaws. The only issue is whether it's worth worrying about or not, and I argue it's not.

I vote with my wallet. I don't fault anyone else for succumbing to the Industry's desire of content, price and distribution control, even though, I know it is wrong. Some people have more self-control than others.
In a perfect world, I'd only buy from GOG and other drm free vendors. Absolutely, and sadly once you're invested in a console ecosystem [at all] that's no longer an option. But that's a completely different discussion than whether to fear PSN servers going down and losing all my PSN purchases.

Playstation Mobile is a completely different service that failed utterly, had virtually no sales or customer base. It is not the same as PSN and trying to compare the two in this regard is silly. In that case, supporting the servers -did- cost money that could never be recouped. It's apples and oranges.

Failed services are certainly at risk - be they music servers, game servers, whatever. PSN is has a huge, thriving catalog with new, exclusive content that people will be buying for the foreseeable future.

I own probably 50 PSM games (50 more than most), and thousands of dollars worth of PSN games (around 400 games for my vita, countless for my ps3, many for my ps4)... and I'm not worried in the least. Why be stressed about something so unlikely?
Or PSM is an example of a Sony-run digital game store with similar licensing terms where, when the resources associated with running it became unviable, they shut it down and removed access to download every game people paid for. Ya, psn is totally huge and popular now...but what happens in 10 years when the ps3 has entered the legacy status of the ps2 or ps1, they're concentrating on the ps5 and talking about discontinuing the ps4, and people aren't really buying new content for the ps3 anymore, leaving it with "virtually no sales or customer base"? Are they really going to continue wasting the server space and bandwidth on ps3 games? Is the ps3 going to be supported? Are they going to make us rebuy all of our ps3 games as "ps3 classics" that are patched to run with emulation on ps5? Who knows.

Wow; you just had to end that by sounding like a dick, huh?
It's not good prose to post a point without taking a jab. This isn't a scientific forum. :)

Plus, it's not a lie or rhetoric. It's just a cold, hard fact. Companies bank on the general population to act on impulse, lack of discipline, the feeling of acceptance and low self-control; that is one of the key reasons Activision, EA and others the community bitches about are still successful. :baby:

Or PSM is an example of a Sony-run digital game store with similar licensing terms where, when the resources associated with running it became unviable, they shut it down and removed access to download every game people paid for. Ya, psn is totally huge and popular now...but what happens in 10 years when the ps3 has entered the legacy status of the ps2 or ps1, they're concentrating on the ps5 and talking about discontinuing the ps4, and people aren't really buying new content for the ps3 anymore, leaving it with "virtually no sales or customer base"? Are they really going to continue wasting the server space and bandwidth on ps3 games? Is the ps3 going to be supported? Are they going to make us rebuy all of our ps3 games as "ps3 classics" that are patched to run with emulation on ps5? Who knows.
I completely agree that PSN can easily go the route of PS Mobile, and there really is no way to know if it's going to happen or not. I personally believe at some point, and and all digital games will be gone, as these companies are not going to keeps these services up for an indefinite period of time. When and where it will happen, who knows? But it will happen, and anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.

Love my vita, figured I should get involved in this thread. I think I'm going to pickup freedom wars here soon.

On the topic, right now I've backed up the games on my 32GB card to my Mac. My god though, I have so many crossbuy and PS Plus games, I don't know where to start. Anyone on iPhones can start cataloging their games with an app I use called "Gamer". It free and the best app I've used to keep the catalog of my psn games. I've catalogued my PS3 and ps4 games, but there is no easy way with Sonys horrible download list to see what games I have for vita. Anyone have any luck backing up and cataloging their vita library?

I use Google Drive to catalog my physical collection. Digital, I'd be very intrigued to see if anyone has a system for cataloguing their digital library.

Went to Target to hopefully get NGS2 cause they said they had 2 in stock, but no dice. Willing to bet they are probably hidden somewhere.

But your point is ignoring the fundamental differences between the two. PSM was a completely separate infrastructure that required it's own servers, it's own maintenance -- which never ends, since you need to ensure your servers are up to date security-wise, etc. It was expensive to maintain, and almost nobody bought a dang thing from it. And I mean that -- even hardcore vita users generally only owned a couple PSM games, and even though were mostly acquired during 'free' promotions.

It was failed venture from the get go, and yes, failed digital ventures are 'high risk' for being completely discontinued for obvious reasons.

PS3 and PSP games are part of the -existing- PSN structure. They already need to maintain the webstore and file servers for the PS4/PS5/vita/etc. The cost of also listing and serving PS3/PSP files is negligible, and if anything, profitable since they actually do still sell. Even if PS3/PSP sales dropped to zero, the cost of file serving is negligible since, in this hypothetical future where nobody is buying them, then we must also assume few are downloading ones they already bought. So the cost approached zero -- server space for them is dirt cheap and already needs to be in place, maintenance already needs to be in place, etc, etc.

This idea that they're going to take down content from PSN is based on fear mongering. It's just not even remotely likely. Sure, when we start talking 30 years from now, it's all in the air and we have no idea... but those buying digital games for the convenience and other benefits [including myself] don't really give a shit. I don't want to store games in my house for 30 years, either. So I buy digital at a price I'm willing to pay, with all other issues taken into consideration.

I completely agree that PSN can easily go the route of PS Mobile, and there really is no way to know if it's going to happen or not. I personally believe at some point, and and all digital games will be gone, as these companies are not going to keeps these services up for an indefinite period of time. When and where it will happen, who knows? But it will happen, and anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.
The only thing people are disputing is the timeline, and if it matters. Obviously, it's likely it'll eventually come down. Just like itunes could theoretically go down some day. But suggesting that, for example, they're suddenly going to stop selling or allowing us to download PS3 games is such a remote, unlikely possibility that it really shouldn't figure into the equation.

Fred Meyer's has a coupon in the Sunday Paper that works on PSN credit. It says something like 'gift cards not included' but the register rang it right up. It's $10 off 50, $20 off $100, $30 off $150.

I use Google Drive to catalog my physical collection. Digital, I'd be very intrigued to see if anyone has a system for cataloguing their digital library.
I use Google docs to keep a spreadsheet. I imported via PSDLE and use that to update it as well. All fairly easy and simple, though I made a sheet that strips down the imported date and rearranges it how I want it [so i paste into that sheet to 'fix' the data, then copy/paste that rearranged data into my main sheet].

Stopped by a Target today on the way home from work and found Borderlands 2 and Lumines. Was the only copy I saw remaining of Lumines, but there were still two more copies of Borderlands 2 on the shelf.

Oh, and the PS TV Bundles at same said Target are also on clearance! Now $70.01, down from $99.99.

psn wise there have been games where they were removed from psn so you have no way to get them unless you previously downloaded them like the ps1 titles that were workable for the vita but then became not.

psn wise there have been games where they were removed from psn so you have no way to get them unless you previously downloaded them like the ps1 titles that were workable for the vita but then became not.
Well there's stuff that's been delisted so you couldn't buy it any longer but still had access to download it whenever you liked. PT is the first thing that's been completely scrubbed from the servers as far as anyone's aware.

Fred Meyer's has a coupon in the Sunday Paper that works on PSN credit. It says something like 'gift cards not included' but the register rang it right up. It's $10 off 50, $20 off $100, $30 off $150.
Nice, and with the PSN $15 after you spend $100 deal, it is like buying a $115 PSN card for $80.

Oh, and the PS TV Bundles at same said Target are also on clearance! Now $70.01, down from $99.99.
Nice, I wonder what took them so long to get this on clearance. Walmart has the PS TV bundle with the Sly Cooper game for just $50.00 (and I believe final clearance), so grab the "VITA" TV while you can. (YMMV as this is only still available at 1 of the 3 area Walmart's)

I also noticed that the demo unit PS Vita was REMOVED from the display... Target has dumped the PS Vita for good, it looks like.

But your point is ignoring the fundamental differences between the two. PSM was a completely separate infrastructure that required it's own servers, it's own maintenance -- which never ends, since you need to ensure your servers are up to date security-wise, etc. It was expensive to maintain, and almost nobody bought a dang thing from it. And I mean that -- even hardcore vita users generally only owned a couple PSM games, and even though were mostly acquired during 'free' promotions.

It was failed venture from the get go, and yes, failed digital ventures are 'high risk' for being completely discontinued for obvious reasons.

PS3 and PSP games are part of the -existing- PSN structure. They already need to maintain the webstore and file servers for the PS4/PS5/vita/etc. The cost of also listing and serving PS3/PSP files is negligible, and if anything, profitable since they actually do still sell. Even if PS3/PSP sales dropped to zero, the cost of file serving is negligible since, in this hypothetical future where nobody is buying them, then we must also assume few are downloading ones they already bought. So the cost approached zero -- server space for them is dirt cheap and already needs to be in place, maintenance already needs to be in place, etc, etc.
So you believe that the PS4/5/6 will all run on the same PSN that we have today? Eegads, I hope not. At some point, they will phase out this network and the current system will be, in your words, "a completely separate infrastructure that required it's own servers, it's own maintenance -- which never ends, since you need to ensure your servers are up to date security-wise, etc. It was expensive to maintain, and almost nobody bought a dang thing from it. "

That is what happened with Original Xbox. The pro-digital folks in this thread are really hung up on PSM, because it's admittedly a completely failed platform. The Xbox was not a failed platform.

And even if they continue to use the same store god help us thats no confirmation that they wouldn't phase out the ps3 being unable to access the store anymore.

And even if they continue to use the same store god help us thats no confirmation that they wouldn't phase out the ps3 being unable to access the store anymore.
Well the PS3 storefront itself has its own problems. Over a year of users reporting being sent back to the XMB.

Nice, and with the PSN $15 after you spend $100 deal, it is like buying a $115 PSN card for $80.

Nice, I wonder what took them so long to get this on clearance. Walmart has the PS TV bundle with the Sly Cooper game for just $50.00 (and I believe final clearance), so grab the "VITA" TV while you can. (YMMV as this is only still available at 1 of the 3 area Walmart's)

I also noticed that the demo unit PS Vita was REMOVED from the display... Target has dumped the PS Vita for good, it looks like.
Besides availability, Walmart clearance is YMMV, anyway. The closest Walmart to me still had a bunch of the PS TV bundles sitting in the cabinet covered in dust last time I was there, but they're still at $69.96 or whatever (I've been waiting for the bundles to drop to $44 like they have at some other stores, but it's not looking promising).

Besides availability, Walmart clearance is YMMV, anyway. The closest Walmart to me still had a bunch of the PS TV bundles sitting in the cabinet covered in dust last time I was there, but they're still at $69.96 or whatever (I've been waiting for the bundles to drop to $44 like they have at some other stores, but it's not looking promising).
Edit: Looks like my text didn't post Initially...

Yep, Wal Marts clearance are definitely YMMV. Seems like some Wal Marts almost refuse to clearance gaming related items or if they do technically clearance them they are like 5% off.

Edit: Looks like my text didn't post Initially...

Yep, Wal Marts clearance are definitely YMMV. Seems like some Wal Marts almost refuse to clearance gaming related items or if they do technically clearance them they are like 5% off.
Or, like my local Wal*Mart, they just round the price up to the nearest whole dollar amount and hope the consumers are to stupid to notice.

So you believe that the PS4/5/6 will all run on the same PSN that we have today? Eegads, I hope not. At some point, they will phase out this network and the current system will be, in your words, "a completely separate infrastructure that required it's own servers, it's own maintenance -- which never ends, since you need to ensure your servers are up to date security-wise, etc. It was expensive to maintain, and almost nobody bought a dang thing from it. "

That is what happened with Original Xbox. The pro-digital folks in this thread are really hung up on PSM, because it's admittedly a completely failed platform. The Xbox was not a failed platform.
I think it's a fallacy to point to a platform that only had the barest taste of digital content and try to apply the results to the world we are in now. Yes, XBL and PSN may eventually desist older platform content. But to look at the pioneer days of direct console content and try to use that as a crystal ball? Bad move.

If you don't want to buy digital, don't buy digital. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about games being unavailable fifteen or twenty years down the line. Mostly because I'll be in my 50s.

I think it's a fallacy to point to a platform that only had the barest taste of digital content and try to apply the results to the world we are in now. Yes, XBL and PSN may eventually desist older platform content. But to look at the pioneer days of direct console content and try to use that as a crystal ball? Bad move.

If you don't want to buy digital, don't buy digital. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about games being unavailable fifteen or twenty years down the line. Mostly because I'll be in my 50s.
I'm not sure what age has to do with it. I'm 32 now and still enjoy the games that I enjoyed when I was 10. I don't see why I wouldn't like the games that I play now when I'm 52. Hell, the way the industry is headed, everything in 20 years will be FTP mobile trash and I'll doubly value my ability to play retro games.

I'm not sure what age has to do with it. I'm 32 now and still enjoy the games that I enjoyed when I was 10. I don't see why I wouldn't like the games that I play now when I'm 52. Hell, the way the industry is headed, everything in 20 years will be FTP mobile trash and I'll doubly value my ability to play retro games.
In 20 years, we'll get to play the 16k HD port of the 8k HD port of the 4k HD port of the 1080p HD port of God of War 3! Exciting times, my friends. Exciting times.

Nobody is arguing that we 'own' them. Of course they're licenses. In most cases, so are physical.
Bingo. And this fact is lost on many people. I see a lot of people here talk about "owning" physical games. But the only thing you own is the disc. As far as the game on the disc goes, that is intellectual property, so it's always a license. In fact, in Sony's case, it's literally the same license agreement whether the game is physical or digital:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/legal/softwarelicense/

Now practically speaking, owning the disc may give people some added comfort in that Sony is unlikely to brick a console to make discs unplayable. And it's true, I can't think of examples of that ever happening. But legally speaking, they can do it, absolutely. If PT had come out on disc, they could (would) have disabled it just as easily under the license agreement. The license agreement says they can discontinue support for any game, physical or digital, at any time.

Stopped by a Target today on the way home from work and found Borderlands 2 and Lumines. Was the only copy I saw remaining of Lumines, but there were still two more copies of Borderlands 2 on the shelf.

Got the DPCI?

Anyway you can get me the Slycooper bundle?

Hobbies tend to be transient.

Or, like my local Wal*Mart, they just round the price up to the nearest whole dollar amount and hope the consumers are to stupid to notice.
I almost never find any video game clearance at Wal-mart, let alone Vita games.

I've also been keeping an eye on my local HEB Plus for if and when they slash their Vita games down.

Sorry I couldn't contribute more, just trying to keep the thread on track... You know, about finding cheap Vita games. :)

What is there to discuss? We know exactly what will happen. Original Xbox embodied everything naysayers said about losing digital games years ago.
This. Anyone who bought DLC or XBLA games on an OG Xbox lost them forever back in like 2006/2007. Granted there wasn't much to lose - but I think it's kind of unreasonable to believe Xbox Live won't shutter 360 service within the next two decades.

The argument about licenses is moot when I can buy a PS Vita, leave it offline, pop in a cart and have it work. Sony has no ability to stop me from doing that. On the other hand - 20 years down the road if I buy a Vita and try to install old PSN purchases... that's probably not going to work out so well. If I had a cart in that same scenario it's much more likely that I'll be able to play that game.

Also, unlike digital games physical games give me the right to sell and trade my game. I can't do that with a digital game. Even if I only have a license to the physical version's software, at least I have recourse to transfer that license.

I prefer physical to the point of absurdity. (I'm looking at you, World of Tanks 360 disc). I also tend to import Japanese physical versions of games I already own digitally in English, so I'm pretty much insane.

People have already mentioned the constant patching, which undermines the comfort of physical ownership. The loss of manuals also removes some of that magic for me. Sure I almost never looked at it, but just having a case with card/disc is sad to me.

But again, I'm insane, so gobbeldy goo.

I prefer physical to the point of absurdity. (I'm looking at you, World of Tanks 360 disc). I also tend to import Japanese physical versions of games I already own digitally in English, so I'm pretty much insane.

People have already mentioned the constant patching, which undermines the comfort of physical ownership. The loss of manuals also removes some of that magic for me. Sure I almost never looked at it, but just having a case with card/disc is sad to me.

But again, I'm insane, so gobbeldy goo.
I don't think you're insane. I miss the hell out of manuals. I'd never look at them after the first time I opened the case but they were a nice sign the company cared. I miss them a ton. That said I'll import games over digital but I won't really buy em twice unless it's a crazy good sale. I just want ps classics on ps4. I've admittedly bought a lot of psclassics just to play em on my vita and if it gets brought to ps4 I know they won't die out any time too soon.

I also tend to import Japanese physical versions of games I already own digitally in English, so I'm pretty much insane.
I tend to do this too. I really wanted Soul Sacrifice Delta physical even though I still play the digital version. I also imported the Final Fantasy X & X-2 for the Yoshitaka Amano artwork, Deception IV Nightmare Princess and Resident Evil Revelations 2. I'll still buy the localized digital version when it goes on sale.

Going to give a +1 to the question asked about Lego Chima. Is it ok? I snagged a copy because it was like $5 but the lego games seem pretty crappy to me. Would it at least be ok for a 9 year old?

What is there to discuss? We know exactly what will happen. Original Xbox embodied everything naysayers said about losing digital games years ago.
Yea. Damnit i cant download the KOTOR patch anymore! The original Xbox that had it died and i didn't have it on my backup xbox's =(

I sadly have this same concern for my physical collection of current-gen games, given 1) their proclivity for needing to connect to some sort of server in order to function properly, and 2) the fact that games are increasingly being shipped utterly unfinished and often requiring a 1+ GB patch to be downloaded and installed day one.
I will say that ever since games came "online" developers have *REALLY* become lazy. Push the game out as fast as possible... knowing that they can just release a patch later to fix their bugs. More and more "releases" have become beta tests.
Oh God the patches... thats my biggest peeve this gen next to no manuals. Bigger probably. Is there a single game released the past year or so that didn't have a big ass day one patch? Its friggin absurd. What happened to FINISHING games before you released them? The needing to connect thing bugs me. EA /Ubisoft are probably the worst at this. Im playing a single player game, i dont give a shit about signing in to your stupid server!

IOS is riddled with problems --

-the iterative hardware means games you own may get updated to versions that no longer run on your hardware

-games get taken down can no longer be downloaded, etc.

PSN does not have those issues, and if anything, Sony has shown their quite good about stuff--

-you can still download stuff taken down from the store, etc

-they rarely ban accounts, and certainly not for mistakes they made (ie, you can take advantage of price glitches without fear).

I assume by 'Silent Hill' you mean P.T.... nobody bought that. It is a rare case where Konami, having never sold it, likely had the power to take it completely off the store and servers. That isn't done if money is exchanged.

Forever? Yeah, sure, you're probably right. But I'd be surprised if they take them down in my lifetime. The servers in question are basically just file servers -- fairly simple in the scheme of things. You request a file, they serve the file to you.

Additionally, those servers have current reasons to exist -- games are still selling. The PS5 will still need to deliver games.

There's just no reason to take down those servers in the foreseeable future, and most definitely no reason to remove older games. It would be industry suicide, for example, to remove psp and ps3 games from their servers. Why? There's no upside to it.

Now, at some point some storefronts might become too expensive to maintain -- that's why they stopped supporting the psp storefront. But they provided logical alternatives -- you can still buy the games on the web, and they converted the store to a download list so you can still access said games. That's a perfectly serviceable solution.

Even if Sony came up such hard times that they were bankrupted, PSN is a profitable service that would almost certainly be bought and maintained in the fire sale.

Digital doesn't take up space, I don't like owning too many things I'm not using, and it's super convenient. I'll take that, even with the added 'risk' of losing access which I don't really think is at all likely, anyday. I can understand why the lack of cases/etc bothers some -- I used to have a massive vinyl collection and mps3s do -not- do it for me... but it's not because I"m worried mps3 will suddenly go away... I just liked the 'feel' of vinyl. But for those of us that don't need the 'feel' of physical games, digital is a perfectly safe alternative and for most of us, by the time any chance of the servers going down occurs (30 years? 40 years? never?) we'll be playing something else.
Really? You'd be surprised if they go down in your lifetime? Do you only plan to live for another 15 years or so? How long did the Xbox One servers last? 7 years? As several people have pointed out it wont be surprising at all for these servers to go *poof* once they basicaly become legacy consoles. And as for me; I actually find myself playing older games just as if not MORE often than newer releases. So the argument of 'we'll be playing something else' doesn't really work

For people who like digital, that's fine. You probably wont give a shit about playing the games years down the road. It just really sucks for those collector type gamers that really enjoy playing games through the generations like me. As i said: I can and do still play NES, Genesis, SNES, DC, PS1 (on my ps1), Game Boy, Saturn, fuck, even Gamegear games whenever i want. Some of those games are like 30 years old. Do you really think a digital copy of something i bought the last few years will still be playable that far down the line? Hell, even 15 years or so?

Please tell me how to redownload my Original Xbox and Playstation Mobile digital games/content.
+1

In 20 years, we'll get to play the 16k HD port of the 8k HD port of the 4k HD port of the 1080p HD port of God of War 3! Exciting times, my friends. Exciting times.
Yes, but if they're as shitty as most 'HD' ports these days i will totally pass. Plus they'll all probably require day one patches to even function which brings us back to the original problem =P

So you believe that the PS4/5/6 will all run on the same PSN that we have today?
No. I believe that people are using examples from the wild west of digital times when new services were a dime a dozen, licensing and other issues were an absolute mess, and the digital future was very uncertain.

Any digital storefront will need to have both items for sale and serving capabilities. If you're already building a new system, it's not particularly hard to import the older catalog and continue to serve. Why didn't MS do this? No idea. But a lot has changed since then. This import process will be done; if they create a new PSN next gen, for example, they're already going to have to import the PS4 catalog... at which point, they just pull them all [since it's just database entries and files - once you import some of the catalog you can just grab it all].

You guys can continue to live in fear that PSN is going down sometime in the near future, or that Sony is crazy and dumb enough to pull down content for absolutely no reason [for example, "they might stop selling ps3 and psp content!"]... but the tech behind storefronts and digital delivery is such that this simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever. There's no reason to do so. Zero.

What makes far more sense from Sony's standpoint is very different - something like they did with the PSP. Stop updating the PS3 firmware, take down the store that is on the ps3 itself, keeping just a download list. Allow people to also buy/dl from the web.

You do this because it's true you want to reduce the number of storefronts you need to maintain, especially on legacy hardware and for codebases that may be written in languages you don't want to support anymore. But that's why you shift the burden to the webstore [which you need to maintain anyway].

Really? You'd be surprised if they go down in your lifetime? Do you only plan to live for another 15 years or so? How long did the Xbox One servers last? 7 years? As several people have pointed out it wont be surprising at all for these servers to go *poof* once they basicaly become legacy consoles.
No, I plan on living much longer. But digital storefronts are something I actually work with, and while I'm not in the gaming industry, I'm not worried about Sony pulling the plug.

As for this idea that they'll just pull the plug on legacy systems, read above. It just doesn't make any sense. Point to the xbox all you want - -that's an odd case, early in the digital revolution. It is not viewed as the blueprint for how to move forward, it's viewed as something to avoid -- the major digital players want people to gain faith in going digital, not lose faith.

Those same servers that serve PS3 and PSP files serve PS4 files. There is no reason for them to 'poof' them. None at all.

But it's clear I'm in a thread centered on physical collecting, so whatever. like I said, I prefer vinyl to mp3s so I do understand where you're all coming from. But the fear, at this point, is misplaced. it's like worrying about disc rot -- sure, that used to be a thing. And I'm sure, given enough time, it will be a thing again. But it's not worth worrying about, and neither is Sony pulling the plug on 'legacy' digital content.

For people who like digital, that's fine. You probably wont give a shit about playing the games years down the road.
No, I play plenty of older games. I grew up with Intellivsion, Atari, and Apple II+/gs/etc. I re-played Bard's Tale just recently. Most of the games I played are so archaic as to be nearly, if not entirely, unplayable at this point -- that intellivision controller, man. I just don't fear the problems you do, just like it doesn't bother me that all the 5.25 and 3.5 diskettes I own/owned are useless to me now, even thought they are 'physical'. Times change. If I want to play those games I can either re-buy them on GOG (digitally, lol, oh the irony) or not play them.

Likewise, I'm not worried about my collection in 20 years, let alone 30. Heck, I sold off all my 80's pc stuff last year for a small fortune (seriously) and rebought the stuff I cared about for pennies on gog. I figure I'll likely do the same in 20 years....

Heck, fred meyers now sells segas, intellivisions, and such fully loaded with games now. No cartridges, just plug and play. For $60 or so I can relive my childhood, easier, with HDMI and never dealing with decades of storing the original equipment that would be a headache to get to work on a modern tv anyway. And that's not even getting into emu and mame and all the other options we have out there, which will only continue to grow.

So... yeah. I love old games. But if anything, they're just more evidence to me that I really, truly, don't need to worry about my digital collection. Odds are, in 30 years there will be a better way to play them anyway, just like I prefer to play my PSP games on my vita. Heck, I prefer playing the old genesis games I loved on my vita too. Times change. Worrying about some awful future where Sony decides to stop serving files on an extremely popular and profitable service just isn't worth it.

Honestly, this digital complaint started with the Ps3/360 generation and people were freaking out that with the next generation it would delete all the previous generations games as Psn and Live would turn to different things... They haven't. They'll just update and accomadate previous generations. Server space is getting cheaper and cheaper and it's a pretty big fuck you if they just give the entire playerbase the shaft all at once. Especially once you get into future generations where making old console games be easier and easier to run (cept stupid ps3) as they will be more and more closely similar to computers.

So... yeah. I love old games. But if anything, they're just more evidence to me that I really, truly, don't need to worry about my digital collection. Odds are, in 30 years there will be a better way to play them anyway, just like I prefer to play my PSP games on my vita. Heck, I prefer playing the old genesis games I loved on my vita too. Times change. Worrying about some awful future where Sony decides to stop serving files on an extremely popular and profitable service just isn't worth it.
If you're content with emulation of varying quality and piracy, then sure, I see no reason not to go digital for your games.

I could counterpoint a few other little things you said in those two big posts, but it feels like arguing with a climate change denier. We've reached the point where the conversation will generally just go in circles, so I'm out.

bread's done
Back