[PS Vita] Gravity Rush - June 12th, 2012

An hour in and I'm really impressed with Gravity Rush so far. I'm digging the 3D-esque comic book panel cutscenes.

Also, kinda lame that the DLC is only a 100 kb download but $4 each isn't that bad, I guess.

[quote name='GodlyOne']An hour in and I'm really impressed with Gravity Rush so far. I'm digging the 3D-esque comic book panel cutscenes.

Also, kinda lame that the DLC is only a 100 kb download but $4 each isn't that bad, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, what's out there for DLC that wasn't included with preorder bonuses?

[quote name='DCpinoy']Hmm, what's out there for DLC that wasn't included with preorder bonuses?[/QUOTE]

It's the preorder bonus, plus the future DLC packs.

Had to cancel my pre-order. Money is tight and it was this or DiRT Showdown ($39.99 + $10 credit). Hoping for a sale soon-ish so I can apply that $10 credit towards GR. Almost every review makes the game sound amazing... *drools*

[quote name='GodlyOne']It's the preorder bonus, plus the future DLC packs.[/QUOTE]

nice thanks for the info, sorry i just downloaded the preorder bonuses then started Gravity Rush right away.

So far, I'm loving it. Sometimes you can get disoriented but it's not too bad. The controls take a little getting used to but i've only played about an hour and i'm starting to get the hang of it all. So far it's great and i hope it gets even better.

[quote name='SynGamer']Had to cancel my pre-order. Money is tight and it was this or DiRT Showdown ($39.99 + $10 credit). Hoping for a sale soon-ish so I can apply that $10 credit towards GR. Almost every review makes the game sound amazing... *drools*[/QUOTE]

Sucks to hear, hopefully you get a copy soon-ish. Going from looking at the crummy character models in Mortal Kombat Vita, I'm adore how good this game looks.

The only knock I have against it right now is the fact that the story revolves around the main character having both amnesia and mystical unknown powers. :roll:

[quote name='DCpinoy']nice thanks for the info, sorry i just downloaded the preorder bonuses then started Gravity Rush right away.

So far, I'm loving it. Sometimes you can get disoriented but it's not too bad. The controls take a little getting used to but i've only played about an hour and i'm starting to get the hang of it all. So far it's great and i hope it gets even better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the motion controls when I'm trying to aim at something. Wish they could've added an option to toggle that off.

[quote name='GodlyOne']Sucks to hear, hopefully you get a copy soon-ish. Going from looking at the crummy character models in Mortal Kombat Vita, I'm adore how good this game looks.

The only knock I have against it right now is the fact that the story revolves around the main character having both amnesia and mystical unknown powers. :roll:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the motion controls when I'm trying to aim at something. Wish they could've added an option to toggle that off.[/QUOTE]

hmmm, have you tried turning down the motion sensitivity all the way so that it barely affects the aiming?

[quote name='DCpinoy']hmmm, have you tried turning down the motion sensitivity all the way so that it barely affects the aiming?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking about that. By turning it down means that I can't feverishly pan the camera in and around during the comic book panel parts. I'll probably get used to it anyways.

[quote name='Link2999']Got my Newegg copy today, about 3 hours in and its pretty cool so far, but there are a few "what the heck!?" moments scattered into the story, here's one of them (spoiler free):

http://redd.it/uyptf[/QUOTE]

Whoa haven't seen that yet. I wonder wtf is going on. Btw yeah I turned down both sensitivitys. Feels better that way for me.

So I pre-ordered this from Walmart.com since I had a $40 GC. I was shocked it showed up on release day. It was supposed to come with the same DLC as Amazon but received nothing. I thought it would come in the game box but no voucher.

Anybody ever pre-order from Walmart.com before that included DLC?

I sent them an email about it but just waiting to hear back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bumslie']So I pre-ordered this from Walmart.com since I had a $40 GC. I was shocked it showed up on release day. It was supposed to come with the same DLC as Amazon but received nothing. I thought it would come in the game box but no voucher.

Anybody ever pre-order from Walmart.com before that included DLC?

I sent them an email about it but just waiting to hear back.[/QUOTE]

From my experience any unique dlc that comes from walmart.com has been included on a card / paper and packaged with the game outside of the case (i.e. plastic wrapped together). It's probably fairly random though.

[quote name='handsomepete']From my experience any unique dlc that comes from walmart.com has been included on a card / paper and packaged with the game outside of the case (i.e. plastic wrapped together). It's probably fairly random though.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I got the DLC. Walmart FedEx'd my game for release day delivery. Then I just got the mail in. Walmart mailed me the voucher in another envelope. Says DLC is only good 6/12-9/30/2012.

Now time to play Gravity Rush!

I just played the demo. I know I am probably in the minority, but I didn't really like it. At first it seemed cool, but the constant moving all over the screen grew a little tiresome for me. I guess it just wasn't my type of game. I hope it does well though, because I want to see the Vita succeed, and feel that the Vita is extremely underrated.

So i turned off motion controls and I am really enjoying the demo now. I think I might buy it from the store tonight. What a difference that really made.

The game is great. I played for about an hour (not alot, I know) and I love it.

The demo takes place on the second "mission" you might say. It actually just before it changes to open world.

The world doesn't seem huge, but its big enough, and I don't know yet if you open up more of it in time.

It is very japanese, though. Lots of weird facial expressions and little girl groans and whimpers. I think I will end up using my Military DLC code, cause I do not like the default costume.

I wonder what they did with all this time from the JP launch till US? Its still foreign language with subtitles.

So, the way the Best Buy employee handled my pre-order gave me two DLC codes. One was how he rang up my pre-order purchase and the other was how he rang it up without it being a preorder. Anyways, I have an extra Military Pack/Special forces DLC code. Just PM me if you are actually going to use it and I will give it to you.

Edit: Claimed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IanKazimer']Can't get over the size and visuals of this world. Makes me appreciate my Vita as hardware even more than I already did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah its amazing. It still blows me away and I'm at episode 13. But I still kinda don't like the gravity slide challenges. But I can usually get silver on it.

on episode 18 now and the finally adjusted to the controls. don't have to think so much about what buttons i need to press to do what. still enjoying the game and it's even better now that the controls are second nature.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Slide challenges are annoying.[/QUOTE]

Ill admit my excitement sadly turned to frustration with the controls. Mostly from doing the side quests like races and score attack. The gravity flying is just so wonky at times and the grav kick can be hell.

However I figured to avoid frustration I wouldnt keep replaying the side missions. I figure as I play more of the game and level up, things will get easier. At that point Ill go back and try to get the Golds on the side missions.

Im hoping the controls grow on me more since everything else about the game is cool.

FYI- You need to pass mission 17 before you can play the military mission in order to unlock the outfit.

pretty lame.

[quote name='xDerekRx']Ill admit my excitement sadly turned to frustration with the controls. Mostly from doing the side quests like races and score attack. The gravity flying is just so wonky at times and the grav kick can be hell.

However I figured to avoid frustration I wouldnt keep replaying the side missions. I figure as I play more of the game and level up, things will get easier. At that point Ill go back and try to get the Golds on the side missions.

Im hoping the controls grow on me more since everything else about the game is cool.[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's possible to get gold on the challenges without stat upgrades. I don't really have an issue with the gravity flying because it's as awkward as flying by falling would be. Something that hit me on the way home from work is that if she flies by shifting gravity shouldn't she accelerate as she falls?

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I don't think it's possible to get gold on the challenges without stat upgrades. I don't really have an issue with the gravity flying because it's as awkward as flying by falling would be. Something that hit me on the way home from work is that if she flies by shifting gravity shouldn't she accelerate as she falls?[/QUOTE]

Yeah true but eventually she would hit terminal velocity.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I cannot comprehend how Gamespot gave this game a 6.5 in their review...then again, consider the source.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I absolutely love this game. I can't wait for the DLC.

Despite how much I'm enjoying this game (some of the challenges aside) it could have seriously benefited from a Restart Mission feature. Being able to retry after finishing a botched race doesn't really do it for me.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Despite how much I'm enjoying this game (some of the challenges aside) it could have seriously benefited from a Restart Mission feature. Being able to retry after finishing a botched race doesn't really do it for me.[/QUOTE]
^This!

[quote name='IanKazimer']Despite how much I'm enjoying this game (some of the challenges aside) it could have seriously benefited from a Restart Mission feature. Being able to retry after finishing a botched race doesn't really do it for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah kinda sucks but its not gamebreaking. Even if you have to finish the race or let time run out, its only a minute or so of your life.

Or you could just hit cancel mission, in the start menu, then start it again once the game loads up. I know it's not restart, but that's what I have been doing. And I agree, though, it does need a restart mission option.

Oh sure, it's not gamebreaking, but it's still something that could have been better. I tend to just cancel and retry as well; it's pretty much the only time I notice the load times (which are absolutely forgivable given the size of the game.)

However, using the "minute of your life" stance doesn't really promote improvement, especially in game design. It's all about streamlining, and like I said, I'm scraping for criticisms of this game as it is. I think it fantastic.

I only even brought it up because I finally beat the game and now I'm going back to mop up missions. Probably never would have noticed if I peppered them in with the full game.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Oh sure, it's not gamebreaking, but it's still something that could have been better. I tend to just cancel and retry as well; it's pretty much the only time I notice the load times (which are absolutely forgivable given the size of the game.)

However, using the "minute of your life" stance doesn't really promote improvement, especially in game design. It's all about streamlining, and like I said, I'm scraping for criticisms of this game as it is. I think it fantastic.

I only even brought it up because I finally beat the game and now I'm going back to mop up missions. Probably never would have noticed if I peppered them in with the full game.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah I totally understand your POV. I just love this game so much that I don't mind the little bad things here and there. This game has finally justified the purchase of my vita.

[quote name='DCpinoy']Haha yeah I totally understand your POV. I just love this game so much that I don't mind the little bad things here and there. This game has finally justified the purchase of my vita.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah, man. This game is actually what sold me on the thing. I was able to grab the system for 100 bucks during the handheld trade-in promo Gamestop had a while back, so I'd been waiting for it for a while. Absolutely worth the wait.

[quote name='IanKazimer']Hell yeah, man. This game is actually what sold me on the thing. I was able to grab the system for 100 bucks during the handheld trade-in promo Gamestop had a while back, so I'd been waiting for it for a while. Absolutely worth the wait.[/QUOTE]

yeah i'm amazed that i wasn't let down since i have been waiting for this title for about 2 months now!

Got the platinum for it today, took me 5 days but it was well worth it. Overall I have to say it was a good game, but it suffers from loose controls that become incredibly cumbersome during what should be relatively simple battles.

The Special Forces DLC expounds on this problem by limiting its challenges to a "use everything you've got!" race as well as the dreaded "gravity slide" race which incorporated the Vita's gyroscope. Both races felt more like a chore to do rather than the breath of fresh air I was expecting after having spent upwards of 15 hours doing basically the same types of challenges.

Regardless, the story of the DLC was pretty good, providing further insight into the post chapter 17 events and how the citizens of Heckesville have responded to them.

[quote name='emokid9963']Beat the game today. I must say the ending was very.... underwhelming.[/QUOTE]
It was an ok enough ending but it leaves all kinds of questions unanswered. I hope it sells well enough for a sequel, and that said sequel doesn't take forever and a half to develop and localize.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']It was an ok enough ending but it leaves all kinds of questions unanswered. I hope it sells well enough for a sequel, and that said sequel doesn't take forever and a half to develop and localize.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I just wish the ending was.. Idk better. The whole game was great, but when I saw the ending, it just didn't sit right. There needs to be a sequel. And I agree, I hope it comes out in the very near future.

Only put about an hour into this gamer so far and it has been great. I hope to see more games on the Vita this amount of polish and gameplay. Don't take this the wrong way, i have 14 vita games but this one takes the cake with Wipeout a close 2nd.

bread's done
Back