PS Vita systems 3G/WiFi version $149.99 Clearance @ Best Buy YMMV

KevinMassacre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Went to the Best Buy here in Chicago (Clark & Diversey) to pick up a copy of Black Ops 2 for Wii U for $19.99 and saw some PS Vitas on clearance. These are the ones that come bundled with the 8gb Memory Card. I just bought one on impulse. Plus if you apply for a best buy card (you don't need to be approved, you just need to apply) they knock $10 of your purchase. I walked out the door with a brand new PS Vita 3G/WiFi version with 8gb memory card for $139.99 plus tax.  

I'd say a price cut gets people in the door to snag new users.  Once you have a vita you want more and more.

OP posted a pic of the signage from that store another store can pm it. It's YMMV for sure but if your willing to get a warranty some stores can be flexible to get the sale. I've done this with CE's that were $100-$150 MSRP but already $35-$50 at other stores outta state.

Had Sony been smarter they could've taken over with the vita all they had to do was treat it like a cellphone. Offer a $100 down $15-$30 per month options w/32 GB mem card & 1 yr PS+. At $100 on launch alot of people would've jumped on the newest thing with the cheapest price point. Along with the AC:L & COD BO bundles Sony would've seen nice sales upfront. With the larger install base more companies would've made more games which would move more systems. The only thing missing at that point would be Sony paying for some true system selling exclusives like GTA & Monster Hunter. Offer bundles like the AC:L & there's the key to success going forward, the PS4 would also gain traction by working with the vita too.

They can still get on track if they could bundle the PS3/vita for $300-$350 w/32GB mem, games & PS+.
There are VERY few people looking to buy the premium of premiums for a console with absolutely no history. You're talking about a $400 dollar bundle, which doesn't even factor in what extra Sony will make by going this route, but going off M$ we can say $40 just for the heck of it. So while you would be getting the system for $100 + $15 a month, this bundle is a real F U to the people without wifi, since a 32 gb card and PS Plus is worthless to them. Anyway, a lot of people dislike these bundles because it "locks" them into a contract and going off how many people want to unload their system (they're currently averaging $160 for the system alone, so they're willing to take a $90 dollar hit...), I would say a lot of people would be irked they can't break out of their contract (because of penalty fees).

As far as system sellers go, please don't you or anyone act like 1 game changes a system. One of the things I hate most about some sites is that they act like if Sony spent the money to get an exclusive this or that, the system would be flying off the shelfs. The fact is, even if they DO pay for those exclusives, it could just be another Resistance Burning Skies or Black Ops Declassified. So far Sony has done good and the system has several notable titles, it's just that people don't want to buy it. Simple as that. Why don't they want it? I don't know. Could be saving money for the PS4, waiting to see if it fares better than the PSP, fear from the doom / gloom Vita is death articles sites love to post, idiots posting the "best" Vita games and including trash like Hotline Miami (Not that it's a bad game, but if that's among the best your system has, I don't want it), people waiting for memory prices to go down (most likely this one) and of course, the fact Sony has done little to no marketing for it.

Guys, you have a picture of the sign. Target always matches for me with a pic of the sign. I'm going to try right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know how it goes with the Target price matching. I've never heard of Target doing that but I'm willing to try it if you are able to.

Target just matched the $150 price. I just used the picture in this thread and saved it to my phone.

de354b7f-3649-42fa-8b30-e8653b7d008e_zps9352083d.jpg

That's some hardcore YMMV at Target.

They use their ipad to check prices at BB...Since BestBuy doesnt have them at 150 on their site it's 99% going to get turned down.

Edit: Did you just show them the picture and they price matched it?  Did they check it on their iPad?

They use their ipad to check prices at BB...Since BestBuy doesnt have them at 150 on their site it's 99% going to get turned down.

Edit: Did you just show them the picture and they price matched it? Did they check it on their iPad?
This. Last time I showed them a picture the guy almost laughed at me.

Went to Culver City BB this afternoon (I was walking buy so figured why not). Obviously, no luck. Interesting to note they had no 3G models at all, nor a spot for them in their tiny Vita section. They actually had 2 shelf stickers for the Wifi-only model, which leads me to believe they removed the 3Gs.

I definitely would have picked one up, but I'm not motivated to try all this YMMV price-matching. Congrats to those who found a way to get a $150 Vita, though!

Edit: Did you just show them the picture and they price matched it? Did they check it on their iPad?
They just looked at the picture and price matched it. Then the guy said he was going to get one for himself, and pulled one off the shelf. Its very ymmv though, I've price matched with pictures many times with him. I've always made sure I went to him since the first time he did it.

Went to Culver City BB this afternoon (I was walking buy so figured why not). Obviously, no luck. Interesting to note they had no 3G models at all, nor a spot for them in their tiny Vita section. They actually had 2 shelf stickers for the Wifi-only model, which leads me to believe they removed the 3Gs.

I definitely would have picked one up, but I'm not motivated to try all this YMMV price-matching. Congrats to those who found a way to get a $150 Vita, though!
South Elgin IL BB had the same thing. No Vitas on the floor only a price for the wifi sticker. went to customer service to see what the price was and it was 299 after she went to the backroom...

I know most gaming departments are getting a overhaul for the up coming holiday. They are just purging the 3G ones. 

The vita's are not going anywhere. Yes, a lot of accessories are going clearance since they are streamlining it.

This is what they are doing to my store currently and others are slowly following suit. I mean i can't be 90% sure but thats what i am hearing from the people in gaming department ( i work in the computers). 

They really should have launched the Vita for $200 with 16GB built in memory and maybe an option to expand to 64GB with micro SD. Also, it's still really lacking in games even though the hardware is much better than the 3DS. You can't compete with console ports. If they had spent less time trying to prevent modding and more time making games and courting developers, things could have turned out differently.

Last edited:
Both Sony and Nintendo are re-learning that launch success depends on install base. Make the system cheap enough, people will buy it. When lots of people own it, devs will make more/better games for it. Everyone wins.

They just looked at the picture and price matched it. Then the guy said he was going to get one for himself, and pulled one off the shelf. Its very ymmv though, I've price matched with pictures many times with him. I've always made sure I went to him since the first time he did it.
You're gonna get the poor kid fired lol

Just got this price-matched at one of the Best Buy stores in Indiana.  I'd post a receipt, but I don't want to bother blacking out all the pertinent info (vita serial #, rewards zone #, etc).

Went in for Dragon's Crown (ps3), but they hadn't been shipped any (actually, none of their nearby stores had any).  Ended up talking to one of the managers (really nice guy), asked him if they were going to clearance their Vitas and directed him to the OP's post.  He printed out the pic, got clearance from the store manager, and here I am, Vita in hand.
Stretched my budget for the week so I didn't grab the protection plan but will go back in and get it because the manager was nice enough to price match... Just gotta wait until payday.  Having worked electronics retail, I know that's where they get their money and if he was nice enough to cut me the deal, I at least want to pay some of it back and help him get his sales numbers.

There were 2 in stock and they're in the process of overhauling their games dept. for the holidays, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Why get rid of OLED?
That I dont know why. I like the oled.

I just fell out of my chair laughing, this is the company that took over 10 years to start allowing it's cameras to use the long standard memory format.
true but when you look at how sony stopped creating their own proprietary architecture for the ps4 it seems that the top level executives are changing things up.

I bought a PSP Go for the one reason that it allowed you to connect a dualshock 3 and use it while playing games. If they just phased out the current models and did a Vita 2000 and it's only revisions were HDMI out and dualshock support I would definitely be tempted, any other improvements would just be bonus.
This.

Just tried to PM in Council Bluffs, IA.  They had 6 in stock at regular price and the manager would only knock $50 off the price...even with the picture.  Oh well.  Probably didn't need one anyway.

Just got this price-matched at one of the Best Buy stores in Indiana. I'd post a receipt, but I don't want to bother blacking out all the pertinent info (vita serial #, rewards zone #, etc).
Went in for Dragon's Crown (ps3), but they hadn't been shipped any (actually, none of their nearby stores had any). Ended up talking to one of the managers (really nice guy), asked him if they were going to clearance their Vitas and directed him to the OP's post. He printed out the pic, got clearance from the store manager, and here I am, Vita in hand.
Stretched my budget for the week so I didn't grab the protection plan but will go back in and get it because the manager was nice enough to price match... Just gotta wait until payday. Having worked electronics retail, I know that's where they get their money and if he was nice enough to cut me the deal, I at least want to pay some of it back and help him get his sales numbers.
There were 2 in stock and they're in the process of overhauling their games dept. for the holidays, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Best Buy is not carrying Dragon's Crown in store. I think the only B&M store that is carrying it is GameStop.

You'll notice there is no way to see his employee number on the recipt. :)
But they can (and do) monitor transactions based on employee numbers. If you use the same kid to do the same scheme, someone's eventually going to catch on (probably at corporate level first, then contact store management to inform them, if Asset Protection doesn't get to him first).

bread's done
Back