PS+ vs Xbox Live Gold

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
Hi CAGs. Do PS3's in general have crappy network stability? I ask this because I had always assumed that my PS3 wasn't situated optimally in relation to my router, which is why the signal was always hit and miss. However, after getting an Xbox 360 late in 2011, I realized that wasn't the issue since I had very few network issues with the 360.

At any rate, I'm considering whether or not to get a PS+ subscription because I see a lot of value in the free games. However, I'm hoping that getting PS+ will somehow improve the network stability of my PS3. It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'd appreciate some input from those who have both their PS3 and 360 online. If it's a hardware issue, then I may just have to spring for another PS3 at some point so that I can take advantage of the network features.

No, doesn't improve network stability. You need a good internet connection no matter what. I though it was the psn at first but than I got a new internet provider and now have no issues with long downloads or such.

I don't have a problem with my 360, so I don't think the problem lies with my internet provider.

Crappy network stability? I've never had a problem with mine.

PSN+ will have no impact on your network connection.

The features of PS+ are impressive. I just need to figure out a way to get my PS3 network to be stable.

are you using a internet provider's wifi router or those 2-in-1 modem/router things?
my experience with those are that they are god-awful and had constant disconnects each day.
A good router is important.

I have the Linksys WRT54GL. It's a good router although I am looking to upgrade. As I said before, my 360 has no problems with network connectivity with regards to downloading, streaming or playing online. I'm not sure why the network connectivity on my PS3 is significantly poorer in all 3 areas.

[quote name='vic_x51']thats a good router, did you but load cfw onto it?
it will significantly improve it.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm using Tomato, and I tweaked the setting to get the most out of my router. Does anyone have any optimal network settings for the PS3 that they would like to share?

I've had no issues with stability. Downloads on PSN do take me a lot longer than on the 360 though, and PS+ didn't help that.

I got my copy of GT5 XL, and it probably took a couple of hours just to download the regular update. I haven't even gotten to the XL DLC. Also, PS3 updates are always kind of hit or miss. Sometime the updates don't start downloading right away (i.e. small update shows 30+ minutes until completion), and even when the updates to download, it takes a lot longer than comparable 360 updates. I'm just wondering if this is fairly common with PS3s.

No issues for me. My downloads take about the average time for my bandwidth. I have noticed my PS3 and PSVita firmware updates have taken far less time these past few months.

Are you getting nat type 2 on your PS3? If not, then you need to open up some ports. This shows you which ones.

I have the opposite of you. My slim PS3 gets faster dl speeds and better connection in games than my slim 360. Though, when I connect them via ethernet they're the same. Also, I have a phatty and slim PS3 and the slim, once again, gets faster dl speeds, although, the connection in games is the same.

[quote name='RCS0926']Yup. I'm using Tomato, and I tweaked the setting to get the most out of my router. Does anyone have any optimal network settings for the PS3 that they would like to share?[/QUOTE]

Seems that frequently when folks tweak Tomato to get the most out of the router it causes more problems than it fixes. Had that same router with Tomato on it and followed some online guide with a series of random suggestions on how to get the most out of it. After that, Netflix would stutter on most any device in the house and my laptop would intermittently drop wifi. Resetting everything back to stock Tomato fixed pretty much every problem I had.

[quote name='twiceborn']Are you getting nat type 2 on your PS3? If not, then you need to open up some ports. This shows you which ones.

I have the opposite of you. My slim PS3 gets faster dl speeds and better connection in games than my slim 360. Though, when I connect them via ethernet they're the same. Also, I have a phatty and slim PS3 and the slim, once again, gets faster dl speeds, although, the connection in games is the same.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll check it out.

[quote name='handsomepete']Seems that frequently when folks tweak Tomato to get the most out of the router it causes more problems than it fixes. Had that same router with Tomato on it and followed some online guide with a series of random suggestions on how to get the most out of it. After that, Netflix would stutter on most any device in the house and my laptop would intermittently drop wifi. Resetting everything back to stock Tomato fixed pretty much every problem I had.[/QUOTE]

If all else fails, perhaps I'll try resetting Tomato to its default settings.

bread's done
Back