PS1 and PS2 on PS4? Shouldn't be too hard to emulate.

Samuelc79

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Considering PS3 at the end of it's life was software emulated to play PS2 games. I find it lacking that there will be no BC on PS4, for now. I understand the difficulty of running PS3, due to using a different Processor can't run on PS4. But running a PS1 and PS2 game on a x86 computer emulation isn't a problem these days. I don't understand why PS4 can't run those, unless it will be announced later. I understand there will be cloud gaming, but there's nothing shown as of yet. I hope E3 brings more surprise.

Again, to the point, there's no excuse why a PS1/PS2 game can't run on PS4, if a several year old computer can emulate it fine, so should the PS4!

What do you all think?

I'd buy the PS4 day 1 if it had BC but the days of traditional BC are probably done because both Sony and MS are going for more PC-like consoles.

Software emulation would mean Sony needs to constantly keep updating it to make sure it works with games which will cost them a lot of money. Hardware emulation would be expensive as well, since they'd need to fit PS2/3 guts inside the PS4.

I'm guessing we will see PS1-3 games on the PS4 via streaming since they bought Gaikai. That way, Sony doesn't have to deal with compatibility issues and they'll make money off of a subscription fee from Gaikai.

Do I think emulation is possible? Yes.

Do I think you will be able to use disc based originals on the PS4 emulator for PS1 or PS2? No.

Do I think you will have to re-buy PS1 and PS2 classics already tied to your PSN? Not sure.

More PC-like consoles should mean more PC like features (emulation of older games...).

It's unacceptable that digital content purchased on the 360 and PS3 does not carry over to the newer consoles.

The Wii U is the only next gen console that is offering this feature.

I will never understand how people can defend this.

[quote name='antlp89']More PC-like consoles should mean more PC like features (emulation of older games...).

It's unacceptable that digital content purchased on the 360 and PS3 does not carry over to the newer consoles.

I will never understand how people can defend this.[/QUOTE]

Why do people think digital content should work on newer consoles, even when retail games don't? Aside from being downloads instead of discs, it's the exact same.

PS3 games won't work on the PS4 for the same reason that Xbox games won't. They're not the same system, in any way.
PS4 is not just a faster PS3. The PS4 CPU wouldn't even know how to read the code on a PS3 game, disc or download.

To get a PS3 game(download or not) working on a PS4 would require PS3 hardware built into the system, such as the Cell CPU. I doubt even the PS4 is powerful enough to emulate the Cell CPU and Nvidia GPU in full.

[quote name='antlp89']More PC-like consoles should mean more PC like features (emulation of older games...).

I will never understand how people can defend this.[/QUOTE]

PC emulation is far from perfect. There still no perfect emulator for PS1 games... you get graphical and audio glitches/issues in most games.

I'm sure Sony could implement software emulation, but then they would need to fix every single issue in every single game, which is probably part of the reason they killed the software BC PS3s.

[quote name='Erad30']But didn't you hear backwards compatibility is backwards? Don Mattrick said it so it must be true.[/QUOTE]

Such a stupid statement. So Microsoft Office 2013(or 2014) won't work on Windows 7? And/Or I can't install MS Office 2011 on Windows 8? Oops, time to back peddle.

The PS Meeting/PS4 Conference made it sound like they wanted the PS4 to have the FULL PS catalog of games from every gen. I'd predict PS1/PS2 would work at launch, with PS3 way down the line.

They have a paid subscription program called Playstation Plus, that basically is useless on PS4 going forward. They'll have to add PS4 elements to it and/or bring that PS3/PSN catalog onto the PS4 to help merge that service onto the PS4.

[quote name='Erad30']But didn't you hear backwards compatibility is backwards? Don Mattrick said it so it must be true.[/QUOTE]

MS's PR department is full of arrogant fuckwits lately... I guess they forgot that the 360 was BC.

BC was one of the biggest reasons I bought my PS2 early and bought a PS3. Having BC gives you access to a huge library of great games while newer titles are pushed out new system. BC is probably the reason I'm not gonna get the PS4, which is otherwise sounding like an awesome machine, at launch.

[quote name='Vinny']PC emulation is far from perfect. There still no perfect emulator for PS1 games... you get graphical and audio glitches/issues in most games.

I'm sure Sony could implement software emulation, but then they would need to fix every single issue in every single game, which is probably part of the reason they killed the software BC PS3s.[/QUOTE]

All PS3s have PS1 backwards compatibility. Even if it isn't perfect there's no excuse to not have PS1 compatibility on PS4. They should only release games on PSN that work perfectly, but they could let people play their PS1 discs on PS4.

On the other hand since PS4 will never be PS3 compatible I will keep my PS3, so I can just play PS1 games on that.

I agree that ps1 and ps2 should be pretty simple. But you have to look at the business plan. Sony rather sell HD remakes of games with trophies instead of giving emulation where you can just play any game. I think the business model will prevent emulation of ps2 and ps1 games unfortunately.

[quote name='Thomas96']I agree that ps1 and ps2 should be pretty simple. But you have to look at the business plan. Sony rather sell HD remakes of games with trophies instead of giving emulation where you can just play any game. I think the business model will prevent emulation of ps2 and ps1 games unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

They can't HD-ify every PS2 title, usually just popular or iconic series, and have done zero PS1 HD remakes, right? Look to Metal Gear Solid 1 for an example.

Sony put in a patent to make it possible for trophies to pop while playing emulated games like PS1 Classics, PS2 Classics. I foresee the plan that PS1+PS2 discs will work, but the Classics digital versions will support trophies.

But since they ditched PS2 BC with later PS3 models, they may not put that in PS4. PS3's can play PS1 discs, but people still buy the digital Classics versions for convenience factor or never owned it. Can't wait for what E3 reveals, but their previous vision of the PS4 was of this one machine to be "The Playstation" and it will play their full library of games. PS3 should be the only hurdle, and maybe Gaikai can fix that a year or so down the line.

Emulation for PS1 titles will probably happen for the PS4. They were doing it already for the PS3, there's no reaosn for them not to enable similar functionality for the PS4.

PS2 emulation would be a bit more difficult, and is much less likely. The serious legwork has not already been accomplished, so it would be a more serious investment of resources. I do think it likely to see digital-only releases of PS2 titles on PSN for the PS4. Enabling backwards compatibility on a per-title basis is much more likely for PS2 games.

Expect much of the PS4's backwards compatibility to be based around PSN's digital distribution. Sony has already proven that they can get PS1 games running on just about everything. (PSP, Vita, PS3) I could see them pushing to provide backwards compatibility on the PS4 through PSN.

[quote name='Vinny']I always forget that all PS3s can play PS1 games. That does throw a curve ball, now doesn't it.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yeah and for two years ALL PS3's could play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, such a novel and exciting concept. Sad thing is those PS3's tended to burn up and die within 5 years of moderate to heavy use, I still have one (60GB), but it will do nothing other than sit on the shelf from here till whenever now, sadly, and will continue to use my slim instead. Also sadly I'm considering a 3rd system as a backup so I can play my collection of way too many PS3 games.

Fun future word we live in now right? ;)

(remembers when systems didn't fry after a few years of use...)

bread's done
Back