PS1 Downloads up: Anybody tried it yet?

shaunLEGEND

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Looks like they aren't saved to your hard drive but directly to your psp,
this is from reports I'm reading on IGN boards.

edit: Also for clarity, you need a PS3 to access the downloads.

Gonna try Syphon Filter in a minute, as soon as I update my PSP. $6 is more than I expected, but since it's the same Nintendo wants for a TG16 game, and less than they want for Genesis/SNES/N64 titles, I can't truly complain.

I'm trying to get my PSP to connect to the PS3, and I need a WPA key. I use WEP normally. Does anyone know how I can find out what my WPA key is?

Syphon Filter is 385MB. You download the game and a license, which suggests to me that's how they're gonna combat piracy. Wonder how well that works.

Random question about PSP PS3 transferring... Does it have to be done via wi-fi connections or can you simply just plug in the USB cable to the PS3 and transfer the downloads that way?

[quote name='mykevermin']Must be done via USB.[/QUOTE]

No joke? So the games can't be transfered via wi-fi at all then? What about stuff like like music, video files, or photos, is it all done just via USB as well?

(sorry for the quesiton bombardment...)

Haven't tried anything else. When I clicked the DL link on the Playstation store, it prompted me to connect my PSP via USB. It downloads straight to PSP, w/out storing it on the PS3 HDD.

As for other media, I don't know if you're discussing transfer from PSP to PS3 (surely not the other way around?). I stuck my pro duo on the memory card slot on my PS3, and just loaded up videos like I would on my PSP.

[quote name='mykevermin']Haven't tried anything else. When I clicked the DL link on the Playstation store, it prompted me to connect my PSP via USB. It downloads straight to PSP, w/out storing it on the PS3 HDD.

As for other media, I don't know if you're discussing transfer from PSP to PS3 (surely not the other way around?). I stuck my pro duo on the memory card slot on my PS3, and just loaded up videos like I would on my PSP.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I meant like if I wanted to get a song onto a PS3 that I have on my PSP's pro duo stick and only had the 20gb version w/o the card reader could I still transfer the music files just using USB or does one have to have a wirless connection and/or the reader? That sort of thing.

I'm just trying to feel out if the 60gb version will be totally necessary to fully use my PSP with the PS3 if/when I get one. I thought all the transfering of files and stuff was done wirelessly, but look like you probably do it via USB instead. Thanks for the info myke.

Yo. 40% of a 385MB file should not take a goddamned hour to download. The PS3 download service is mega fucking weak at the moment. The system update the other day took a really long time as well. It shouldn't be this bad. Perhaps it's my network setup? My 360 and Wii connect and download just fine.

Those $6 prices are lower then I was expecting. Hopefully this download service will be popular enough to cause Nintendo and Microsoft to drop the prices on their downloads.
[quote name='mykevermin']Yo. 40% of a 385MB file should not take a goddamned hour to download. The PS3 download service is mega fucking weak at the moment. The system update the other day took a really long time as well. It shouldn't be this bad. Perhaps it's my network setup? My 360 and Wii connect and download just fine.[/quote]
It sounds like the PS3 online service is as slow as my Xbox Live.

what happens when you wanna store the game somwhere else cause you don't have anymore room?? Can you store it in the PS3 or your PC?? man....if this happens then d/l are gonna suck....balls

Man, if they release a way to do this without a PS3, add a lot more games and keep the prices low, than I'd consider getting a PSP again.

[quote name='jkam']It's really annoying that you need a PS3 for these. Kick PSP owners in the balls again.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Well, impressions:

Syphon Filter plays like Syphon Filter. There's a touch of nostalgia, only with an additional hint of "man, Splinter Cell really changed this espionage game genre for the better, didn't it?" feelings.

Loads up and plays fine. Good load times.

The game looks like the PS1 version. No enhanced textures, no special bosses, not a damn thing changed. That's good, and no different from what the virtual console offers you.

Pressing "Home" mid-game brings up several options. You can reassign the controls (external to the in-game options), view the manual (which is a high-quality scan of the PS1 booklet), change the screen size ("original," or tiny, "normal," or larger but with the same aspect ratio, and "full screen," which you better be able to figure out for yourself. Full screen wasn't something I dug, I must admit.

In the Playstation Store, you have a tab called "download center" which lists everything you've downloaded thus far, including PSOne games and licenses. It looks like I'll be able to delete this game and download everything again if I need the room to do so.

As for copying it to another source (say, an HDD) and back, I don't know. I may try it tomorrow, but most likely not.

The license aspect seems interesting, and makes me wonder if its used to prevent piracy as well as allow you to copy it to an external center for later use. Keep the license on your memory card, delete or copy the game at will, and copy back over if necessary. My guess is that the license configures itself to give the game a key to only play on a PSP with the serial number, or some other unique identifier, that I have on my system.

So, keeping a 100KB file on your pro duo, while copying titles back and forth when you want them, that sounds like a helluva option. Perhaps I will try it tomorrow.

If Sony can create a PC program with the ability to sell licensed PSP software, and avoid the PS3 workaround (it sure seems like a workaround, and an inconvenient means of getting the PSOne titles), they'll do gangbusters business.

ATM, Tekken 2, Syphon Filter, Hot Shots Golf 2, Crash Bandicoot, and one other title (I forgot) are available.

Color me impressed.

Coolboarders. I need to payoff a credit card and get a new stick so I can get some of these, hopefully they'll add more soon. It's hard as hell waiting for something new to pop up on the store, even if the system's only been out for two weeks.

Great review. They better let you save those games to the HDD, no way in hell I want to re-download 1 GB games like Final Fantasy and MGS.

When you say reassign controls, what option do you have for L2 and R2? Just setting it to the D-pad? Also is there a default setup where they just give you the best control layout? Or do they basically make you decide what you wanna do as far as controls?

*Edit - Found the answer to my own questions. And damn, looks like there is no way to store PSP games on the HDD.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/749/749048p1.html

"Though a PlayStation 3 is required to download the games, they can only be saved directly to a PSP and not temporarily stored on the PS3's hard drive."

"A number of universal control schemes are available in each game, giving you the option of how to emulate the lack of the L2 and R2 buttons. Each configuration uses either the D-Pad or analog stick for inputting L2 and R2, either by using a directional press to trigger them or alt-shifting the PSP's L and R buttons."

Alright. The game data is in the PSP\Game\ folder, with its PSX release code (?) as the folder name (SCUS94240 for Syphon Filter). Deleting it from the memory stick (after copying the data to my iMac), then copying the file back in the same spot, led to no problems whatsoever.

So, the good news (short version) is that you can copy the PSOne gama data to another source (PC Hard Drive, for instance), delete it from your memory card, and copy it back to play again later.

What this also means, of course, is that you may be able to share files between two people - that is, you copy my Syphon Filter data, buy it yourself, and merely download the license from your PS3. While not that big of a deal, the PS3 network was so goddamned slow that I'd almost prefer this method. They desperately need to come up with a way of getting PC distribution of these titles. However, I'm sure they (with good reason) fear a PSP license key generator program, that will make piracy as rampant as can be. I hope that's not the case, because this is a very good thing, and very flexible too. It's great to find out that I can continue to play a game, and am not obliged to keep it on my memory card.

Now, I may have erased my gamesave in the process (I'm not sure), but I'll fool around with that tomorrow.

FOR THE TIME BEING, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DELETING THE LICENSE KEY INFORMATION. IT'S ONLY 100KB ANYWAY, SO IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. I can't confirm that you can copy it back and forth, but the important thing is that the bulky game data can be transferred.

Kendro, as for changing the control assignment, it pretty much looks like different arrangements for assigning L2 and R2, with the options being varied between using the d-pad or analog stick for those buttons (with up, for instance, being L2+R2), while the other used for traditional d-pad assignments.

Problems will occur, of course, when two analog sticks and the d-pad are needed, in addition to L2 and R2. I'm sure the solutions won't be grand, but in the meantime, bring on the great titles that aren't problematic. If they could do SNES titles on the 4-button GBA consistently without issues, this shouldn't be a big deal at all.

I downloaded Crash Bandicoot and it was exactly what I wanted, a perfect portable version. Plays and works great with no problems whatsoever. If they keep the quality titles coming Ill be using this service like crazy.

[quote name='mykevermin']Alright. The game data is in the PSP\Game\ folder, with its PSX release code (?) as the folder name (SCUS94240 for Syphon Filter). Deleting it from the memory stick (after copying the data to my iMac), then copying the file back in the same spot, led to no problems whatsoever.

So, the good news (short version) is that you can copy the PSOne gama data to another source (PC Hard Drive, for instance), delete it from your memory card, and copy it back to play again later.[/quote]

AWESOME NEWS!

[quote name='mykevermin']While not that big of a deal, the PS3 network was so goddamned slow that I'd almost prefer this method. They desperately need to come up with a way of getting PC distribution of these titles.[/quote]

Sony's Connect website was to have some huge revamp so that you could actually download videos/games via the site. The revamp came, but it doesn't seem as though you can download from them yet.

Man, in all honesty, this pisses me off. I held onto my PSP for a damn year + now waiting for PS1 games to be bought and downloaded, and now it's here and PSP owners without a PS3 get the shaft?

Way to support your fans, Sony.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Sony's Connect website was to have some huge revamp so that you could actually download videos/games via the site. The revamp came, but it doesn't seem as though you can download from them yet.[/QUOTE]

The sooner they get that done, the better for them. Their user base is far too limited if you consider that you must own a PSP and a PS3, as well as have access to a credit card to use for purchases. PC distribution is a must for them.

[quote name='Roufuss']Man, in all honesty, this pisses me off. I held onto my PSP for a damn year + now waiting for PS1 games to be bought and downloaded, and now it's here and PSP owners without a PS3 get the shaft?

Way to support your fans, Sony.[/QUOTE]

This is just day one. Hopefully you all aren't held out in the cold for too much longer. Or, y'know, once they start churning out the games people really want to play (Final Fantasies and the like).

I must say there is one downside to all this: I feel like a damned fool for dropping $40 or so on Valkyrie Profile. Not because it will inevitably be released on the PSX emulator, but because sales of games like that will encourage companies to not support $6 PSX downloads, instead opting for a quick wash-over and an additional $34 profit for a UMD release.

[quote name='Roufuss']Man, in all honesty, this pisses me off. I held onto my PSP for a damn year + now waiting for PS1 games to be bought and downloaded, and now it's here and PSP owners without a PS3 get the shaft?

Way to support your fans, Sony.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my sentiments exactly. They keep trying to continually fuck over the PSP and this just furthers the process along.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's pretty much my sentiments exactly. They keep trying to continually fuck over the PSP and this just furthers the process along.[/QUOTE]

It's like they finally give a kick ass reason to own a PSP, something the DS can't POSSIBLY do, yet you're required to a buy a $600 system to unlock the PSP's hidden potential.

I hope Myke is right and they release these to be downloaded from the PC ASAP.

The thing with Sony is, that they don't mind doing things in stages. Do the consumers might it though? Some of you seem to, but I personally like it. Maybe it is easier for me because I have a PSP/PS3 so if I wanted to download one of the games I could. But I like that Sony offers things early and keeps updating and improving over time instead of waiting forever and leaving it as is whenever it actually comes out (whatever it might be :) ).

Though in time, Sony will have "Sony cards" which you can buy in stores/online and use them in the PS Store (so you won't need a credit card). Along with adding the feature to the PSP to allow you to download PS1 games directly via the internet without the PS3 (this is currently in the works) or via their website (WAS under way, but I haven't heard anything about it in a LONG time).

I'm surprised no one is complimenting Sony on the $6 prices. Those prices are more than fair, GENEROUS even. Suddenly N64's $10 seems like a kick in the nuts (and I'm a supporter of that price). MGS, FF7 through 9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, and Vagrant Story for under $50? That's a fucking steal!

[quote name='Kendro']I'm surprised no one is complimenting Sony on the $6 prices. Those prices are more than fair, GENEROUS even. Suddenly N64's $10 seems like a kick in the nuts (and I'm a supporter of that price). MGS, FF7 through 9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, and Vagrant Story for under $50? That's a fucking steal![/QUOTE]

[quote name='mykevermin']Gonna try Syphon Filter in a minute, as soon as I update my PSP. $6 is more than I expected, but since it's the same Nintendo wants for a TG16 game, and less than they want for Genesis/SNES/N64 titles, I can't truly complain.[/QUOTE]

;)

To be fair, they're 500 Yen in the land of Cheapy D, or around $4.25. Still a helluva deal, though I can't help but forsee higher price for high profile and third-party games. Their best bet is to keep the prices in a narrow range (certainly no more than $10-15).

Only thing is, we don't know if all of them will be the same price. I think I read some Sony Rep say that different games could have different prices depending on certain criteria.

Everyone's complaints seem valid. Sony needs to make it a point to make these available to non-PS3 owners... I really want a few of those titles badly, and it pisses me off I can't get a single one now that they are out.

Aren't the PS1 downloads going to be available for people without a PS3 eventually? I could have sworn I read that somewhere, and at least with this Sony can force some people to update their PSP's, and hopefully lower piracy a little.

[quote name='whoknows']Aren't the PS1 downloads going to be available for people without a PS3 eventually? I could have sworn I read that somewhere, and at least with this Sony can force some people to update their PSP's, and hopefully lower piracy a little.[/QUOTE]

yeah, it's been announced a long ass time ago, but people were thinking they would be out the same day... seems not.

[quote name='whoknows']Aren't the PS1 downloads going to be available for people without a PS3 eventually? I could have sworn I read that somewhere, and at least with this Sony can force some people to update their PSP's, and hopefully lower piracy a little.[/quote]

Yes, in the future they have said that you'll be able to use any hotspot to download PS1 games to your PSP directly. Only, to start out with, you'll only be able to do it via the PS3. That is because the not all of the PS Store stuff is ready to go (buyable cards for example) along with other reasons.

[quote name='Kendro']I'm surprised no one is complimenting Sony on the $6 prices. Those prices are more than fair, GENEROUS even. Suddenly N64's $10 seems like a kick in the nuts (and I'm a supporter of that price). MGS, FF7 through 9, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Valkyrie Profile, and Vagrant Story for under $50? That's a fucking steal![/QUOTE]

You keep spitting out these games as if you know for certain they're going to be released.

Did I miss a press release or something?

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Sounds like a $850 PS1.[/QUOTE]

Be fair. It's an $850 portable PS1. With a really big dongle that stays behind.

[quote name='mykevermin']The sooner they get that done, the better for them. Their user base is far too limited if you consider that you must own a PSP and a PS3, as well as have access to a credit card to use for purchases. PC distribution is a must for them.

[/QUOTE]

I suspect this is entirely intentional. Keeping the user base limited for now, beyond rewarding the faithful, makes for a good beta group to work out the details of the service that can only be achieved through real world testing. Keeping the service limited tot he PS3 for now avoids having to formally create a beta group.

Whether they will ever open thing up for PSP owners who aren't also PS3 owners will depend on how popular the service is vs. how fast they can grow the PS3 base. It makes a good selling point for the PS3's high price point but only so long as people can actually get a PS3.

Why can't this be play game X on your PS3 and transfer it to your PSP and vice versa? It's good that you can get the games for $6 considering you've got a bare minimum entry price of $700 MSRP pre tax (plus a memory stick) for PS1 games on your PSP. I'm glad to hear the games are working well, but part of the reason I bought a PSP was for downloadable PS1 games. This feels a lot like a bait and switch by Sony again.

It'd be nice if Sony would do a deal where you could get a psp and ps3 together. Buy ps3, then get 50 off, psp. That's a good, deal even for scalpers...

I wonder when Gameday 97 comes out, that is the one I want.

(sarcasm for those who don't know)

I figure I'll get a PS3 in about 9 months or so, so hopefully there is a way to get these before that long. If not, I guess I'll have a good selection then(maybe).

I'm glad that Sony finally got some of these ps1 games up for download, hopefully, it won't take too long to get more sets. I think I'll try out Cool boarders and Syphon Filter.

bread's done
Back