PS1 import recommendations

Josh1billion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Which of the PSN store's PS1 imports have you guys played, and which would you recommend?

I bought Rapid Angel (快速天使) today, and it's definitely worth the $6 if you enjoy 2D platformers. It's something of a hybrid between run-and-jump platformers and Final Fight-esque brawlers. There are many long cutscenes with full voice-overs (and the story seems pretty funny-- from the little I can currently understand of it, at least), but knowing Japanese isn't a requirement to enjoy the gameplay, unlike some of the imports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW9caJc2V5c

Kyuuin (キュウイン) is the only other one I've played so far. Quirky little game about a boy who rides a vacuum cleaner and shoots his enemies with it. No Japanese knowledge necessary for this one. It has that nice "wtf" appeal/humor to it that's common with Japanese imports, but the gameplay isn't anything noteworthy, so I wouldn't really recommend it.
Kyuuin

I'll play along for a second.

Note most of what I'll mention is on other PSN stores other than the US one.

JPN Store
Silent Bomber
Rapid Reload aka Gunner's Heaven
Einhander
Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman (the US version has a charm all its own though)
Shin Megami Tensei (very JPN language heavy and all versions have been localized in english except If... thats on the JPN store)
Silhouette Mirage

And lots more...

There's a big ole list over at Wikipedia, I wished I had more time to correlate what is on the US store and what's still JPN exclusive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PSone_Classics_(Japan)

I mainly listed the ones I own on disc or rebought on the PSN so I could play them again even though they aren't in English on the US PSN.

[quote name='uncle5555']I'll play along for a second.

Note most of what I'll mention is on other PSN stores other than the US one.

JPN Store
Silent Bomber
Rapid Reload aka Gunner's Heaven
Einhander
Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman (the US version has a charm all its own though)
Shin Megami Tensei (very JPN language heavy and all versions have been localized in english except If... thats on the JPN store)
Silhouette Mirage

And lots more...

There's a big ole list over at Wikipedia, I wished I had more time to correlate what is on the US store and what's still JPN exclusive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PSone_Classics_(Japan)

I mainly listed the ones I own on disc or rebought on the PSN so I could play them again even though they aren't in English on the US PSN.[/QUOTE]
He's asking about PS1 Imports on US PSN, not PS1 games on Japan PSN that aren't on US PSN.

Money Idol Exchanger is the one PS1 Import that I've purchased and it's a great puzzle game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dUFiVHq24

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He's asking about PS1 Imports on US PSN, not PS1 games on Japan PSN that aren't on US PSN.
[/QUOTE]

I kinda guessed that, but I wasn't going to let that stop me :p , too many good PS1 games to be had that aren't on the US PSN.

[quote name='uncle5555']Silent Bomber [/quote]
I wish this was on the U.S. store. I remember playing a demo of it as a kid and enjoying it very much.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I wish this was on the U.S. store. I remember playing a demo of it as a kid and enjoying it very much.[/QUOTE]

It's only 600 yen (about $6) only issue is you'd have to get a 1000 yen card (or 3000 realistically, then buy 5 JPN exclusive PS1 games or JPN only exclusive titles that add up to that much) it's a bit of a pain, but not as hard as you might think, and it doesn't look like Namco Bandai is falling over themselves to bring it out over here in the US.

Where do you buy your Japanese PSN cards? I've seen a few sites selling them, but they all seem to jack up the price quite a bit.

The lowest I've seen is Japan-Codes.com, but taking a look at their 1000 yen code for $16.99.. that's a 41.8% price increase (worth $11.98 according to google), ouch. Even the most expensive card comes with about a 16% markup (an extra $19), and the CAG in me shudders at the idea...

[quote name='Josh1billion']Where do you buy your Japanese PSN cards? I've seen a few sites selling them, but they all seem to jack up the price quite a bit.

The lowest I've seen is Japan-Codes.com, but taking a look at their 1000 yen code for $16.99.. that's a 41.8% price increase (worth $11.98 according to google), ouch. Even the most expensive card comes with about a 16% markup (an extra $19), and the CAG in me shudders at the idea...[/QUOTE]

They are the lowest I have seen and to be fair they set their prices when the exchange rate was much worse but just have not changed them

[quote name='Josh1billion']Where do you buy your Japanese PSN cards? I've seen a few sites selling them, but they all seem to jack up the price quite a bit.

The lowest I've seen is Japan-Codes.com, but taking a look at their 1000 yen code for $16.99.. that's a 41.8% price increase (worth $11.98 according to google), ouch. Even the most expensive card comes with about a 16% markup (an extra $19), and the CAG in me shudders at the idea...[/QUOTE]

You can always ask dv8mad get a card for you. That is what I always do.

[quote name='clonesniper666']You can always ask dv8mad get a card for you. That is what I always do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a good option, plus you'll support his growing family too.

Only other options are Playasia or Ebay, but you'll pay slightly inflated costs, the yen to US dollar values aren't what they used to be. Hence $50 PSP games and $80-100 PS3 titles. Which is why I don't directly import as much as I used too from JPN.

bread's done
Back