PS2 able to be traded in for a PS3 on Best Buys "Product Replacement Plan"?

dpatel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
When I purchased my PS2 last year, I was told that if something were to happen to it, I would be able to trade it in for a new PS2. I was also told that this would work if I wanted to trade the PS2 in for the PS3, and just pay the difference. I was kind of skeptical of this part, but I planned on getting the warranty anyway, so I didn't think much of it.

Well, the PS2 is giving me some problems. Still plays, for the most part, but DVDs and blue-backed cds give me problems. I have a feeling it will get worse. Anyway, I am wondering if any of you has had any experience with the product replacement plan. I wasn't planning on getting a PS3 so soon, but if I can trade my broken PS2 in and just pay an extra $350 for a PS3, then I am all for it.

I will probably go in and speak with them about this specific question. I have a feeling the guy was BSing me, and I didn't really care, since I had no intention of using it towards a PS3 at the time. I want to know if you guys have had a similar experience with the BB warranties.

If your PS2 is having problems, take it into the store and they will give you a gift card for the amount of the PS2+tax. You can use this on anything in the store, including a PS3.

Yeah, its great. I would buy it on most things, even if I didnt work there. As it is now, I get it on alot of things. Pretty much anything with an optical drive/moving parts. They arent very strict about inspections either, so its a nice little thing to have incase you want to get something different.

Well on my part its true, last may I bought a 30 gig Ipod and I send it to repair on October, Best buy calls me 2 weeks later saying I need to come to the store and get another one because they couldn't fix it. I go in ask for it and the cashier asks me if I want to get the new 80 gig Ipod and all I had to pay is the difference. I got a new 80 gig and another replacement plan for $100.

Thanks for the responses guys. Will probably wait until the PS3 is readily available. Hopefully the PS2 doesn't give me any more problems until then. Just need it to last over the break.

may get one for the ps3 too from them. Anyone know how lenient they are on the policy? I want to be able to trade the launch PS3 in for a brand new one when my warranty is up (regardless of whether or not its broken). I have heard EB/Stop will let you do this. What about BB?

Wait, this is the second or third time I'm reading about people getting a 'gift card' to use on whatever you want in exchange for cashing in your broken(name electronic device) and using your PRP.

I NEVER had them offer me this option when I traded in my video problem PS2 in 2002. They simply told me that I could go back to the Media Dept. and grab a new PS2 and that was IT.

Of course, I recently heard from a BB employee regarding the PRP, saying that for up to a year from purchase(my time just lapsed on this), you could replace the system or whatever as MANY times as you wanted to.

It sounded kind of fishy to me, as I can imagine how much fraud could possibly be taking place(people buying messed up systems elsewhere and swapping the manufacture date sticker from theirs), so I highly doubted the person who mentioned it to me.

And DPatel, you bought a PStwo just last year and it's messing up already? I would be very highly pissed at Sony for having spent $130 on something that f'd up within a year(like I was with my year from launch video problem PS2).

This is why I'm still glad I used the high trade value of Geist and Powerdrome Racing(PS2) at FYE and got my slim PStwo for like $2 after they double reimbursed my rebate because I really think Sony's QC people need to go back to school. LOL

the one time i've had a product replacement plan, i had to send the broken CD player into the replacement center, after which they mailed me a certificate to use on anything.

[quote name='edwardchu_333']How lenient is the gamestop/ebgames PRP?[/quote]
I dont know personally but im guessing not very. Especially since they still have PS2's readily available.

Hmmm i bet people that have Xbox 1's with warranties from BB are looking at that 360 alot right now if they dont mind some BC issues at the moment.

It may be YMMV per store, but hte BBY I work at just gives you a gift card. The plan says you are supposed to call the number, and then mail it to them, but if you bring it into the store, we do the calling and then just give you a gift card.

[quote name='edwardchu_333']How lenient is the gamestop/ebgames PRP?[/QUOTE]

Gamestop/eb's PRP sucks. Its not a 2 year a replacement plan, its a 1 time replacement plan that lasts 2 years. Big difference. If your ps3 breaks 5 times in 2 years(which it might) , you can get a replacement everytime at best buy. If your ps3 breaks with gs/eb, you have to buy a new warranty everytime.

Again, it varies from store to store, some may actually take your PS2 and 'send' in for repairs, while others may just let you replace it or give you a gift card.

[quote name='edwardchu_333']How lenient is the gamestop/ebgames PRP?[/quote]

Sounds pretty lenient to me the girl told me the other day when I bought my PS3 that with their warranty it covers things the manufacturer doesnt she said that if my PS3 falls down the steps Gamestop will replace it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']And DPatel, you bought a PStwo just last year and it's messing up already? I would be very highly pissed at Sony for having spent $130 on something that f'd up within a year(like I was with my year from launch video problem PS2).[/QUOTE]

Yea, I am pretty pissed. It still works fine for now, but DVDs give me problems and sometimes blue-backed cds mess up to. It hasn't gotten to the point where I can't play games yet, but I know its on its way. I heard about PS2 problems on the internet, so I am glad I got the warranty now.

anyway, thanks for the responses. It sounds like this is more of a YMMV thing, so i'll be better off checking the store myself.

I've used two PRPs and for me, I never even took the items to the store. I just called the number (within two years of purchasing the replacement plan) and told them I was having some problems with my item. They emailed me a shipping label (pre-paid), I sent the item to the company, and within a few weeks I had a gift card for the value of said item, to use on whatever I wanted. I've never taken the item back to Best Buy (I didn't even know that was an option), but I'm not sure I would just in case they do inspections or repairs (they may be strict, I have no idea, if the problem is your fault). As far as I can tell, the PRP isn't actually through Best Buy and I've heard plenty of horror stories about Best Buy's Product Service Plan to steer me away from that forever. I'd rather deal with the company that does the PRPs as I've never had a problem with them.

Anyway, the PRPs are bomb and definitely worth it.

Those problems are fairly common, at least in the older style PS2s, I guess I really dont know about in the slim model. But yea BB is pretty good with their replacement plans. I bought a DS at launch and got the RP with it because the girl working there said that it could be used to replace the bottom screen if I ever wanted to do so and before it expired I decided I would try to use it to get my bottom screen replaced and they just gave me a DS lite. Plus since I paid $150 for my old DS they gave me a $20 giftcard for the difference in price, which I then used to buy a new RP.

So yea Im pretty sure that it would be possible for you to get store credit that you could put towards a PS3. If you try and if the employee doesnt let you do it, just try again with another employee or take it to another local BB.

bread's done
Back