PS2: Dragon Quest 8 $12.98 on amazon.com

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']I've seen this clearanced out at a few walmarts for $10.[/QUOTE]

walmart is YMMV always, not worth the hassle over $3 to go check now

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']I've seen this clearanced out at a few walmarts for $10.[/QUOTE]
and it's 10 at ToysRUs as well.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']2nd best game I have ever played.[/QUOTE]

YOu need to play more games. :D

I do like this game and need to add to my collection at some point, but it is not even top 5 RPGs on PS2 (Persona series rule all on the system).

Yeah, great game. It's big and beautiful but also has lots of old fashioned charm. Probably my favorite game in the series overall.

A word of caution for those who never played. In the beginning, if you see a monster out in the field, don't walk near it to take a closer look. Nothing like losing a few hours of game play because you forgot to visit the church :bomb:

[quote name='appleyum']A word of caution for those who never played. In the beginning, if you see a monster out in the field, don't walk near it to take a closer look. Nothing like losing a few hours of game play because you forgot to visit the church :bomb:[/QUOTE]

The game doesn't end if you die in battle, though. You just lose half your money.

[quote name='super_dawn']if u don't own this game and love rpg's.....this is a must. First one I played and then I fell in love with the whole series.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. One of the best rpg's I ever played and it has the most beautiful music I ever heard in a game.

This isn't a deal really, this game has been $10 or less new from Amazon sellers for the past 3 years or so. It's just a price adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been hovering between $10-$13 literally almost daily (I watched it drop $2 in one day and then raise back up and start the cycle over again on 3 differ days this week).

That said... I think after reading these comments that I'm finally going to pull the trigger.

As much as I love RPG's, Dragon Quest just doesn't do it for me. I can't stand RPG's where the characters all start with like 10 HP and do 2 damage. Lol. I definitely prefer outrageous hit counts that go into multiple thousands, like Star Ocean or something. Just me I guess, but it's an amazing experience for those who enjoy it I hear.

Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite game of all time. Despite how some may treat RPGs, and some may have RPG series they're bigger fans of, this deserves to be placed on the top of all gaming lists. 131 hours sunk into this, and I still want more. There has never been an RPG that I had actually wanted to replay, this is the exception.

Can't recommend it enough.

I love this game. Only played it briefly, about 10 hours or so, but I'm so looking forward to playing it again. It has some of the most amusing voice acting ever. It's JRPG meets Brittish wit and sarcasm, for an amazing combination.

I can't recommend it enough either.

I bought this & Rogue Galaxy for $5 at Hollywood Video a couple of years back and never played them...forgot about it till now. Whoops...:oops:

$13 for 80 hours of gameplay is a solid deal if anyone actually hasn't played this game yet. I have this game used and complete fs/ft btw ;)

This game is awesome, I use to have it (don't know where it went). The game doesn't do anything innovative, but hits all jrpg notes right. The story is cliched, but has enough charm, simplicity to pull you in (think Lunar Silver Star Story). The game play is traditional, however very solid (not like other jrpg that tries new things ineffectively). Graphics were great, not actual polygon count but the overall art direction and style.

One bad point about this game is that the dungeon design could at points be mundane. Also, sort of inconsistent difficulty.

Other words a must buy game at this price.

This game really redefines old school, you know RPGs are too linear nowadays. What I love about DQ 8 is the world map

Be warned, parts of this game are ball-bustingly hard. Grinding helps a little bit, but this takes quite a bit of time. Great art design, charming characters and wit (Bangerz & Mash!), though the pace of fights and general exploration is slow. If you have the time and patience for the game, you'll love it, especially at $10-13.

May possibly be the last great "classical" JRPG on console. Fellow Persona fans will chew off my ankles for saying that.

Definitely the last one I played that I honestly "loved". Made me feel like a kid again.

bread's done
Back