PS2 dropping to $99 around April 5

Pack in God of War 1 and 2 and it's on! My PS3 isn't bc, and those are the only 2 games I'm really jonesin to play before part 3 comes out.

It's about time, but why now? Maybe they think this will cause a huge jump in PS2 sales, and they cost so little to make now anyway?

Bring on a slew of crazy colors and I'll buy a spare one at $99. I'm constantly jealous of all the variations Japan gets in terms of console colors.

It WILL cause a HUGE jump in sales. We've had so many people coming through lately trying to buy used PS2's, but since they only give $20/$25 for the old/slim models, no one's trading them in.

People are still buying these, you have to wonder if it is because the PS3's sold now are not backwards compatible.

[quote name='bsesb2003']People are still buying these, you have to wonder if it is because the PS3's sold now are not backwards compatible.[/quote]

well if it is, that was a damn good decision on Sony's part to keep the ps2 alive as well. bastards
pixel.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if PS2 is going to be supported past 2010. Sony would be stupid to let the system die even if they originally only said it would be supported for 10 years. It still is selling 6 digit amount of systems each month so people are still buying it and I'm sure a lot more will with this price drop.

[quote name='Halo05']Bring on a slew of crazy colors and I'll buy a spare one at $99. I'm constantly jealous of all the variations Japan gets in terms of console colors.[/quote]

this^ :)

[quote name='shouamabane']Do slim PS2s still have a power brick? The newer Japan models don't.[/QUOTE]
As of model SCPH-90000 released late last year, no.

I sold off my SCPH-90000 when the 60 GB 360's came out, but at $99 I just might be tempted to pick up another one. I never did beat Tales of the Abyss.

Eh...If this is really the announcement from Sony then that is pretty much a let down. I think the PS2 is a nice system but I never touched mine since I got PS3 and 360.

People should not even buy this only to show Sony that the PS3 needs to drop not the PS2.

Yawn...never had a PS/2, still won't get one now. It's old news. I'd like to get a PS/3 sometime, but no price drop=no sale. I'll stick with my Xbox 360.

SONY is Crazy.

#1. PS2's are basically $50 or $60 bucks locally probably 5 blocks from your house or apartment, on CRAIGSLIST, or EBAY.

Paying $100 is absurb, especially when Circuit City just liquidated, PS2's for $60 bucks Brand new in box. Or less.

I would like to finish God of war 2 before playing God of war 3.

I thought Sony did not want to drop the price on the PS2 because it would mean less sales of PS3 consoles??? (I think that's what I read awhile back on an article from ign.com)

[quote name='Shimrra'] People should not even buy this only to show Sony that the PS3 needs to drop not the PS2.[/quote]

Amen, brother:applause:

Makes perfect sense, sales are slowing down quite a bit (and nothing else can increase them), time to lower the price. Probably making less money now at the higher price than they can make at the lower price with more sales.

[quote name='Hacker Snacker']SONY is Crazy.

#1. PS2's are basically $50 or $60 bucks locally probably 5 blocks from your house or apartment, on CRAIGSLIST, or EBAY.

Paying $100 is absurb, especially when Circuit City just liquidated, PS2's for $60 bucks Brand new in box. Or less.

I would like to finish God of war 2 before playing God of war 3.[/quote]

Are they really crazy or just really smart business people?

In 2 weeks the PS3 will outsell the GameCube's lifetime worldwide sales. Sony has achieved that feat selling a machine that has had a $400-$600 price range until now. Personally I think that's incredible.

Anyways, back on topic, great price for the PS2. I hope all the colors like silver are available at this price.

So let me get this Straight.

PS3's DO NOT Play PS2 games anymore.

#1. Ok so thats $100 for a new PS2. To play my PS2 game collection Megan Man, Metal Slug, God of War 2. etc.

#2. Buy a PS3 cheapest model is $399 80GB.

Add it up thats $500 bucks.

I am so thankful I bought a brand new in box 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle last week at SEARS for $399, ( I guess someone confused it for the current 80GB model)

White Box pristine condition still unopened.

these are going for $600+ on Amazon now. and it was just sitting there. This was the Last SKU sony made that has backwards compatability.

http://yourplaystation3.com/blog/PS3mealgearsolid4.jpg

i know this would never happen, but it would be awesome if they included an hmdi port for upscaling dvds, otherwise it just isn't worth it for me. I already have a ps2 (fat) and an upscaling dvd player.

[quote name='Purkeynator']At this point in the PS1's life I was buying the consoles for $10 new at Sears on clearance. I bought 2 and I am not kidding.[/quote]how?

Or for people like me who are still rocking my phatty I got 5 years ago I dont need BC in my ps3. It still sucks because I want to play ps2 games upscaled but I guess Ill have to rock my SDtv for them lol.

Yeah, I wonder about it competing with the PS3, but with the already significant price difference I'm not sure if it is really an issue. Might help it at the low end console buying market.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Or for people like me who are still rocking my phatty I got 5 years ago I dont need BC in my ps3. It still sucks because I want to play ps2 games upscaled but I guess Ill have to rock my SDtv for them lol.[/quote]

Ughhhhh I wish I still had my fat ps2. I loved that thing until it started eating my discs...And gave it nice rings.....

I hate my slim one because of the power brick. It really ticks me off. And to top it off I can't find the vertical stand for it anywhere...

I'm convinced the people running Sony right now really have no idea what the hell they're doing. Maybe they've been having a bunch of 'bring your child to work' days and getting advice from them.

And for the person who thought this was really smart business, consumers who weren't willing to pay 130 for the old console, won't pay 100.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Figures.

Drop the price on the one console that doesn't need the price drop.

Idiots.[/QUOTE]

Truth of the thread right here:applause::applause:

Also, without dropping the price point, they could have pulled a Nintendo and came out with a slew of colors to jump start sales. I know I would have bought a blue or orange one.

[quote name='DarkZion']Well this saves me $100. Cause I still have my fat old PS2 that I got about 5 or 6 years ago.[/QUOTE]

I still have a fat one (which I prefer over the slim ones), but the only thing I like/dislike (a love-hate relationship if you will) is the fact that my laser or something else goes weird in my fat PS2 and causes DREs to both regular DVDs and blue bottom discs, but thanks to an internet guide I found not to long ago, I have to open up my PS2 to repair it (it's only happened a few times though). I actually do this on the side as a hobby for my family and others who don't want to get rid of the fat PS2s. Just in general, though, I enjoy fixing electronic equipment, so that's where the love-hate (liking/disliking) comes from.

Regardless, once these hit something like $59 (maybe $79 like they did with the PS1), I'll be picking up a slim PS2 just to have on reserve for all of my PS2 games.

[quote name='iRent']Ughhhhh I wish I still had my fat ps2. I loved that thing until it started eating my discs...And gave it nice rings.....

I hate my slim one because of the power brick. It really ticks me off. And to top it off I can't find the vertical stand for it anywhere...[/QUOTE]

You could have fixed your fat PS2 from doing that you know.

The lack of a vertical stand (I think they discontinued it) is a real nonstarter for me when it comes to the current slim PS2.

[quote name='unclenebber']I'm convinced the people running Sony right now really have no idea what the hell they're doing. Maybe they've been having a bunch of 'bring your child to work' days and getting advice from them.

And for the person who thought this was really smart business, consumers who weren't willing to pay 130 for the old console, won't pay 100.[/quote]
Monthly sales comparison...

100,000x129.99=$12,999,000
150,000x99.99=$14,998,500
and so on for each month with various ratios

When you get down to below $100, a lot more people can afford it. Yes, there are people out there that can't justify spending $130 because $30 is quite a bit of money to them. While those with more money may be more likely to replace or buy a 2nd PS2 at the lower price. Sony wouldn't do this if it meant less money made, there's no use in growing a userbase when software isn't selling much on it anymore.

If sales of your console are diminishing each month, why not sell more and make more money? It's not like it's the PS3 and the money lost from a pricecut would be a direct hit in loss.

This isn't so much a smart move by Sony as it is one that they simply had to do. The 360 Arcade only being $200 makes it a more attractive entry-level console. Now, it's $100 vs. $200. That will draw in a lot of parents, because it can be marketed as "under $100." This move will help Sony clear out the consoles that are just sitting around in warehouses, considering PS2 system sales, while still quite strong for a system that is nearing a decade on the market, have started to really stagnate.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']have started to really stagnate.[/quote]
Exactly. If sales of a console on it's way out with no large potential software profits on the horizon, only diminishing returns, it's better to sell more consoles at a lower price and still potentially make more money off the hardware because of amount sold.

[quote name='J7.']Monthly sales comparison...

100,000x129.99=$12,999,000
150,000x99.99=$14,998,500
and so on for each month with various ratios[/quote]

what are these numbers from?

[quote name='unclenebber']what are these numbers from?[/quote]
Hypothetical #'s based on the amount PS2's monthly sales have gone down in the past year and especially most recent months. Also based on how much I believe a pricecut will help based on how much past pricecuts have increased sales. I'll find official NPD #'s and report those.

[quote name='J7.']Hypothetical #'s based on the amount PS2's monthly sales have gone down in the past year and especially most recent months. Also based on how much I believe a pricecut will help based on how much past pricecuts have increased sales. I'll find official NPD #'s and report those.[/quote]

You think a 23% price drop on the ps2 will increase sales 50%?
Not in a hundred billion googleplex years.

Unless there's some incentive.

While I know it would never happen because of cost, I wish Sony would put the cost savings from the PS2 into adding BC back into PS3s. Then drop the price of the non-BC model(s). Then at least the high cost would look more reasonable.

Here you go, this took way too long... keep in mind NPD months can vary between 4-5 weeks in a month.

JAN 08
PS2 264K

TOP-SELLING HARDWARE - FEBRUARY 2008
PlayStation 2 351,800

TOP-SELLING HARDWARE - MARCH 2008
PlayStation 2--216,000

April'08
Hardware
PlayStation 2 124.4K

MAY 08
PS2 132.7K

June 08
PS2 188.8k

July 2008:
Sony PS2 155k

AUG 08
Playstation 2 144.1K

SEP 08PlayStation 2 173.5K

OCT 08
PS2 136,000

NOV 08
PS2- 206,000

DEC 08
PS2 - 410,000

Jan-09
PlayStation 2 101.2K (compared to 264k in 08)
down 62% year on year

FEB 09
PlayStation 2 - 131,000 (compared to 351k in 08)
down 63% year on year

[quote name='Covnam']While I know it would never happen because of cost, I wish Sony would put the cost savings from the PS2 into adding BC back into PS3s. Then drop the price of the non-BC model(s). Then at least the high cost would look more reasonable.[/quote]
PS2 cost to make is probably very close to the same as it was in late 2006 or a little more recently. Once they get down to a certain level its hard to reduce its production costs any further.

[quote name='unclenebber']You think a 23% price drop on the ps2 will increase sales 50%?
Not in a hundred billion googleplex years.

Unless there's some incentive.[/quote]
It's possible. But think about this as well, it may not be increasing sales it may be stopping sales from plummeting even further. So it could increase 50%. Or it could stop a 50% decrease. Etc. We'll see what happens in the coming months. The months we'll want to compare start in April, which may not be a good month with DSi, so we'll need to look at many months to really see. Also March 09 is 5 months and April 09 is only 4 months NPD.

Also the more PS2's sold (regardless of price difference $30) the better it is for Sony. They get another person familar with their hardware and potentially take away a sale from another rival system.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back