PS2 Emulation coming to PS3 (NOT HD Remakes) - God Hand, Maximo and more Oct 4th 2012

blitz6speed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Confirmed from sony, they now have a working PS2 emulator that works on all PS3s ever made, including Slims. Not all games will work, and AFAIK nothing has been said about playing the game from discs, just playing the downloaded ones from PSN. Oct 4th will release the first few games, including God Hand among others. Rumor of Vita/PS Suite (Android) support also making the rounds.

Meh or either post. I have a PS2 Slim that I can bust out if I want to play a PS2 game, and I can find it a hell of a lot cheaper online or at GameStop than what will be charged on PSN.

[quote name='mtxbass1']PS2 emulation is not coming to PS3. Sony is releasing some older PS2 games to download as part of the "Only on PSN" promotion. They've said nothing about adding any sort of backwards compatibility to the PS3.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...nounced-ps2-games-ps3-exclusives-for-psn.html[/QUOTE]

Re-read what i wrote. Also, you just said " Sony is releasing some older PS2 games to download as part of the "Only on PSN" promotion.", how do you think they work on all ps3s, pixy dust? It is a Software Emulator that works on all ps3s including the slim. And i said in the first post, they said nothing about using your own discs, just that the ps2 games on PSN will work. The scale of it is going to be enormous and even more wider ranged then the PSOne classics on PSN now.

They are going the route of Xbox games in the 360 minus actual disc support it seems. (reworked executables/wrappers/whatever which will function more like encapsulation than emulation and it'll be on a game by game basis)

It's still quite hopeful though as once a developer manages to get one of their games working then it'll be that much quicker to get any of their other titles which shared the same-ish engine up and running as well.

A much slower way of doing things but also a much cleaner one...well assuming that the proper time and effort is put in. *cough Munch's Oddysee on 360*

edit: Hmm...the more that I read it seems like Sony will actually be providing tools and libraries to let developers recompile their PS2 games for PS3. A bit of taking a square and beating it round but whatever gets the job done.

edit2: OK news is coming too hard and fast from people who can't seem to get their stories straight so it'll probably be a bit before the shit gets sorted and we find out exactly how this is being achieved. JOURNALISM!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope these are cheap. If they are then I'll probably buy a few of them, but if not then I'm only going to buy Godhand/Odinsphere.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Re-read what i wrote. Also, you just said " Sony is releasing some older PS2 games to download as part of the "Only on PSN" promotion.", how do you think they work on all ps3s, pixy dust? It is a Software Emulator that works on all ps3s including the slim. And i said in the first post, they said nothing about using your own discs, just that the ps2 games on PSN will work. The scale of it is going to be enormous and even more wider ranged then the PSOne classics on PSN now.[/QUOTE]

:roll: They are releasing a few PS2 games over PSN. This is not earth shattering news and has no implications that they have a full emulator working. They've taken a few games, modified them to play on PS3's and gone from there. This is nothing more than what Microsoft has done for YEARS on the 360 with releasing games on demand. Sony sees a piece of that pie and wants in.

[quote name='mtxbass1']:roll: They are releasing a few PS2 games over PSN. This is not earth shattering news and has no implications that they have a full emulator working. They've taken a few games, modified them to play on PS3's and gone from there. This is nothing more than what Microsoft has done for YEARS on the 360 with releasing games on demand. Sony sees a piece of that pie and wants in.[/QUOTE]

If you want to make up things, please, go do so in another thread. Several insiders have confirmed it is a software emulator and that tons of games from all regions are en route. If you have no interest in PS2 games on PS3 other then to come in here and yell out "HURP DURP MS DID THIS YEARS AGO", then GTFO. No need for XBots in this thread.

I really hope that that $9.99 price-tag is correct but it just seems too good to be true. (maybe it's the Plus pricing)

If it is $9.99 then I have a giant-sword-wielding-spiky-haired-JRPG-boner to start stroking.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']I really hope that that $9.99 price-tag is correct but it just seems too good to be true. (maybe it's the Plus pricing)

If it is $9.99 then I have a giant-sword-wielding-spiky-haired-JRPG-boner to start stroking.[/QUOTE]I think it likely they will price it like the psone (9.99 being the regular games).

nice to see maximo getting some love. already have it on disc so i wont be buying it, but a great series that hopefully will get some new fans

Badass. Are these going to be playable on VITA as well? I really hope they offer a program to allow fans to suggest what games should appear on the service.

[quote name='Brainberry']lol God Hand was a terrible game.[/QUOTE]

Methinks you did not play it properly.

[quote name='blitz6speed']If you want to make up things, please, go do so in another thread. Several insiders have confirmed it is a software emulator and that tons of games from all regions are en route. If you have no interest in PS2 games on PS3 other then to come in here and yell out "HURP DURP MS DID THIS YEARS AGO", then GTFO. No need for XBots in this thread.[/QUOTE]

What exactly am I making up here? Why is it that you're ignoring everything I post and go straight for "HURP DURP MS DID THIS YEARS AGO"?

You are naive as fuck to think that Sony is going to release a software emulator FOR FREE on the PS3. Period. End of story. They are going to re-release these games and charge for every one of them. They're late to something that Microsoft has been doing now for years. They've hinted at this service for months now, and you're just now seeing it come to light in actual releases. It still does not change the fact that Sony isn't just magically going to add backwards compatibility to all PS3 units out there, just like you claimed initially.

[quote name='mtxbass1']what exactly am i making up here? Why is it that you're ignoring everything i post and go straight for "hurp durp ms did this years ago"?

You are naive as fuck to think that sony is going to release a software emulator for free on the ps3. Period. End of story. They are going to re-release these games and charge for every one of them. They're late to something that microsoft has been doing now for years. They've hinted at this service for months now, and you're just now seeing it come to light in actual releases. It still does not change the fact that sony isn't just magically going to add backwards compatibility to all ps3 units out there, just like you claimed initially.[/quote]

hurp durp?

OK now more and more people are saying that these are straight-up disc images being emulated ala the PS1 games on PSN.

If that's true and Sony doesn't allow for PS2 disc playback of these titles then that's pretty fucking gross.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What exactly am I making up here? Why is it that you're ignoring everything I post and go straight for "HURP DURP MS DID THIS YEARS AGO"?

You are naive as fuck to think that Sony is going to release a software emulator FOR FREE on the PS3. Period. End of story. They are going to re-release these games and charge for every one of them. They're late to something that Microsoft has been doing now for years. They've hinted at this service for months now, and you're just now seeing it come to light in actual releases. It still does not change the fact that Sony isn't just magically going to add backwards compatibility to all PS3 units out there, just like you claimed initially.[/QUOTE]To be fair, microsoft abandoned originals a while ago.

I own a working 60 giger and thats really the only system that can play nearly any PS game. Sony is just releasing some PS2 games is all. Thats part of the reason why they wanted to kill BC. Obviously the PS3 is powerful enough to emulate the PS2 (it worked fine on the 80 gig model).

In any case, I could care less about ps2 or ps1 games. None of them have aged very well when compared to the games of today. I can only really think of 10 or so PS2 games that really play great compared to the games of today.

Pretty fucked off for anyone who owns PS2 games but doesn't have an older model. People are better off buying a PS2 rather than pay $10 a title. Be serious Sony.

It is good to hear that there is a PS2 emulator in the works for the PS3. I still have my PS2 slim for my PS2 games.

It would be nice to get those obscure games like Chulip and Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 from the PSN. I probably wouldn't buy them/pay for a remake at $20 for each title like I did with Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD remake.

It is a shame though that there isn't any new Xbox originals being released or any more games being added to the Xbox 360 backwards compatibility chart. I so would download Shenmue II and Kung Fu Chaos.

If 9.99 is the price point and PSN plus gets 20% off that, I'd say 8 bucks for Odin Sphere is worth it!

[quote name='cochesecochese']Badass. Are these going to be playable on VITA as well? I really hope they offer a program to allow fans to suggest what games should appear on the service.

Methinks you did not play it properly.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about the same game? God Hand made by Capcom?

That game sucked imo, maybe it was so bad that it was good.

I haven't seen anything about an emulator being released to the public so that they could put PS2 discs into their PS3s to play them. It's just individual games being released on PSN that are emulated to work on the PS3 rather than being HD remasters.

Wow, this is pretty bad.

I understand not all titles deserve, or have enough "push" behind them, to have HD remakes but not even any trophy support? Come on, Sony!

Why would they have trophies? They're just being emulated to work on the PS3, so there's nothing about the games themselves that are being changed.

It's apparently like how they emulated Xbox 1 games on 360. Why the disc versions won't work I really don't know. My guess is it has something to do with the disc drive.

Also, for anyone that doesn't have it, get God Hand. It's ridiculous. It's awesome. It's challenging. It's fair. It's basically Demon's Souls for Brawlers.

Sony expects me to re-buy those games because they removed the hardware BC consoles and won't add it back in, even though the demand is there? Pfft, fuck that. I don't care if they are really cheap.

God Hand. Hmm... Clover Studios and it looks like the game that No More Heroes wanted to be. That sounds like a sale.

As for PS2 emulation, I do hope it does come, but I'm not counting on it.

There are official responses on the blog which state that save files for the disc-based versions of the games are incompatible with the PSN versions.

Doesn't sound very hopeful in regards to disc support.

I was all excited to read PS2 emulation on PS3 but no go..? I hate how the ps2 looks on an hd tv. It's so dark but on a ps3, it looks so much crisper.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']There are official responses on the blog which state that save files for the disc-based versions of the games are incompatible with the PSN versions.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that true for a lot of PS3 games?

i read this on joystiq today hopefully its not only the "rare classics" there are alot of ps2 hits I'd love to play again but after having 2 backwards compatibles ps3's die on me I wanna stick to my slim.

Let me quote the FIRST post in this thread and bold it again for everyone who has trouble reading..

[quote name='blitz6speed']Confirmed from sony, they now have a working PS2 emulator that works on all PS3s ever made, including Slims. Not all games will work, and AFAIK nothing has been said about playing the game from discs, just playing the downloaded ones from PSN. Oct 4th will release the first few games, including God Hand among others. Rumor of Vita/PS Suite (Android) support also making the rounds.[/QUOTE]

Never was it said that the emulator would be added in for people to use their discs, not even once. They just have a in house emulator that they will be doing ps2 iso dumps onto PSN for you to download, they'll look and play like they do on a BC PS3, except everyone including slim owners can enjoy them.

Why is this so hard to grasp? Also, not everyone has played everything the PS2 has to offer, a lot of games have gone niche status and are very expensive, so rather then go buy old used discs are high prices, you can get them online for a fair price, and the publishers of these games get the money instead of some reseller or gamestop.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Isn't that true for a lot of PS3 games?[/QUOTE]

Depends on whether or not they are actually different versions and therefore warrant a different game-ID and even then it's not cut-and-dry. (saves are structured in folders based upon game-ID)

The content of the PS2 games on PSN and disc are the same. They've even gone as far as to explicitly say as much. Furthermore, the PS2 save data utility on the PS3 outright emulates PS2 memory cards so there should be no incompatibilities at all unless they are manufactured ones. (or rather there's no technical reason for the saves to not be compatible)

The easiest example would be PSone classics versus the actual disc. The only reason for those two saves to not be compatible is if someone changes the SKU/game-ID as would be the case with different regions/versions. (Resident Evil saves and Resident Evil Director's Cut saves would be incompatible for example as would the PAL version and so forth)

The PS2 disc saves being incompatible with the PS2 PSN saves is a totally and completely elective and manufactured incompatibility.

They're not straight ISO dumps since the PS2 saves that people may already have won't work just like they do for PS1 games. These games are specifically made playable for the PS3 with their emulator, so they don't play like they would for a BC PS3.

Changing these games so much as to completely restructure the save data system would effectively make for more work as it would break games rather than prep them for emulation.

That runs counter to their claims of the games not being re-worked and begs the question as to why something that drastic was done but yet everything else is untouched/barebones.

The more likely explanation is that they've carved-out a new game-ID/SKU classification for PS2 games on PSN thus breaking the save file compatibility.

Or it's that the software emulator they're using is incompatible with the one that relied on hardware in the BC models whose remnants are built into the firmware.

Now that PS2 releases are emulated via software and the memory card emulation is already fully in-place in software you'd code towards that in pursuit of compatibility and proper emulation rather than coding away from it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact I'm fearful that you are dead-on correct. The problem there-in is a save data testing nightmare however and could cause any number of odd issues for any game at any point in time.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']

It would be nice to get those obscure games like Chulip and Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 from the PSN. I probably wouldn't buy them/pay for a remake at $20 for each title like I did with Shadow of the Colossus/ICO HD remake.

[/QUOTE]

And there's the reason you'll never see them released either. DMGS is just that a novelty (I picked it up cause I'm a huge fan of MGS) but I'm sure other than out of casual interest, unless there are other MGS megafans out there we won't see too many releases on par with the niche sector, they'll mine the more popular titles then some oddities like God Hand will pop up from time to time and get released.

Just like the PS1 Classics selection, I hope folks won't get there hopes up for seeing some little known, little seen title pop up so they don't have to plunk down $90 on Ebay to get to play it unless they play it on an emu through other means.

[quote name='Sk']
In any case, I could care less about ps2 or ps1 games. None of them have aged very well when compared to the games of today. I can only really think of 10 or so PS2 games that really play great compared to the games of today.[/QUOTE]

Huh...? I'm playing though DQ 8 right now and one of my first thoughts was man this game could have been made for the newer systems with little to no problem. And I think some games haven't aged well, but most if you overlook the time they were made as well as baby steps of the developers (on the hardware) held up really well and play just as good too (HD gfx don't make good games, ya know, and gameplay hasn't changed fundamentally over the almost 30 years I've been playing). So kind of an ignorant thing to say the way I see it. :whistle2:#

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Wow, this is pretty bad.

I understand not all titles deserve, or have enough "push" behind them, to have HD remakes but not even any trophy support? Come on, Sony![/QUOTE]

LOL....you mean we can't play games anymore without trophies...for fuck's sake, come on man. #-o

Before 2008 we will label all games W.O.T. :joystick:, the era thus far shall now be known as W.T. :bow:

Hillarious... :roll:

**(W.O.T. Without Trophies, W.T. With Trophies)

[quote name='Jodou']Pretty fucked off for anyone who owns PS2 games but doesn't have an older model. People are better off buying a PS2 rather than pay $10 a title. Be serious Sony.[/QUOTE]

:applause:Thankfully I picked up a PS2 slim from Target when they clearanced them a while ago. So for $50 I have a way to play the few PS2 games I may still want to play in the future in the way they were intended and without making Sony more motherfuckin' money at my expense.

bread's done
Back