PS2 emulator coming for non-BC PS3s?!?!

zewone

CAGiversary!
Feedback
155 (99%)
Not sure if this is fake or not, but it'd be awesome if true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omWOdvGWKkM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0U7vElslY0

For those that don't know Spanish - he points out that it is the 40 GB non BC PS3 by showing that it has 2 USB ports and no media card slots.

Then he boots it up into a version of the XMB that has not yet been released and plays God of War II.

As far as the screen flickering, I used to own the exact TV that he's using.

While using the PS3, the resolution switches so often from XMB, Blu-Ray, PS3 game, PS2 game, and every time it did, my TV would make the same flicker his TV did, which is a sign of the res changing.

Dev firmware since 2.0 i believe lets you boot ps2 games on any ps3, they're working on the emulator for sure. It will be part of sonys plan of turning things around with the PS3 sales situation.

mmm i thought that non bc ps3's lacked hardware that was necessary for ps2 games to be played, not that it was simply a firmware issue?

If they can get a proper software-only emulator, you wouldn't need hardware.

This is how it's done on debug units and of course PS2 emulators on the PC.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm glad I have a 60GB so I don't have to wait around patiently waiting for Sony to correct their screw up.[/quote]
eh, I still do not see the big deal. I have a 60 GB and have not played a PS2 game in well over a year now.

I too have a PS2. But it's kind of crappy and doesn't work all the time.

Really, honestly, people shouldn't be lynching Sony because of the BC stripping (or the original Sixaxis with no rumble) It's just odd to see a company whose goal was to deliver the most technologically advanced system on the market first offer BC, then gimp it by going the software route, and then proceed to remove software BC. If the above scenario in the OP is true, Sony is now scrambling to fix their mistake while still being able to produce the lower costing hardware (I assume).

It's weird. I thought Nintendo of all people who be skimping out on the BC entirely. But it's just two Gamecubes duct taped together mirite

He doesn't actually play anything thought, it's all menu screens.

As soon as he tries to play it I bet a pound to a piece of shit that it craps out. Its probably residual Back-Cat code from when there was some form of PS2 hardware on the motherboard. As all PS3s use the same firmware, and it seems theirs is in Factory mode (which apparently re-enables PS2 loading), this is how it works.

If I see the chap actually play a game, then I'll believe its true. Until then, nah....

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I too have a PS2. But it's kind of crappy and doesn't work all the time.[/quote]

I have a 60GB PS3, but it's kind a crappy and doesn't work all the time i.e a few weeks out of the past several months.

Anyway, I'd take software emu on the new units anyday over a 60GB not that I'd use it.

PS2 BC + $100 price drop = Sony's somewhat in a less shitty spot.

Now, here's the thing: it's a dev kit he's on. As homeboy points out, all the guy does is boot the disc. I don't believe the newer PS3 consoles even recognize PS2 discs anymore, so there's obviously something soopa cool with dude's dev kit. But do all dev kits merely boot PS2 games, but crash later?

While I saw the video, I will not technically believe it yet (some could have swapped motherboards or did some of their own internal things) because I've seen plenty of fake leaks online (like PS3 accomplishment, in-game XMB wrong leaks, etc.) in the past relating to PS3 (some even with videos). I will not believe anything until Sony Computer Entertainment announces it themselves.

[quote name='mykevermin']PS2 BC + $100 price drop = Sony's somewhat in a less shitty spot.

Now, here's the thing: it's a dev kit he's on. As homeboy points out, all the guy does is boot the disc. I don't believe the newer PS3 consoles even recognize PS2 discs anymore, so there's obviously something soopa cool with dude's dev kit. But do all dev kits merely boot PS2 games, but crash later?[/QUOTE]

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html

PS3 Test Unit
Developers get a PS3 Test unit (Debugging Station) that allows it to run unsigned code. The machine is labelled Test below the PlayStation 3 logo, and it comes with a testkit. The PS3 model numbers for these Test machines are similar to the the ones for consumers, but instead of the CECH prefix, the model numbers have the DECH prefix. Unlike consumer units, a PS3 Test unit has an extra "Settings"->"Debug Settings" menu in the XMB (XrossMediaBar), which allows many options like downgrading to previous PS3 Test firmwares (available in PS3 Test firmware 2.00 and higher), changing the PS3 region, and treating a USB drive as a Blu-ray drive,. The PS3 Test unit is identical to the consumer PS3 unit hardware-wise, but the different software settings is tailored for allowing easy debugging of programs. By default it also does not use the same decryption key as a consumer PS3, as PS3 Test units have its own decryption key for debug encrypted software. Therefore, the PS3 Test cannot decrypt and run retail Blu-ray games. In the DECHA models, PS2 games (any region, debug and retail) loading were disabled, but later firmwares allows it.

I don't think this is particularly bad news. I'd like to know when the ability to boot and load PS2 games was added to the development models. If you look at the progress of PC emulation projects, the menus tend to be done correctly first since it's a good starting point. This could still suggest full software emulation is being development and is at an early stage. This would definitely drive me to buy a PS3 sooner. Just my $0.02.

I own a PS2, but I'd really prefer BC. My entertainment center is crowded up enough as it is. I still play my PS2 and some PS1 games regularly.

Slightly off topic... Did anyone else catch the page with PS4 specs and predictions of the PS5?
http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm glad I have a 60GB so I don't have to wait around patiently waiting for Sony to correct their screw up.[/QUOTE]

True story. I'm happily playing Persona 4 on my 60gig.

I really really really wish my PS3 played PS2 games. My PS2 won't recognize controllers anymore and God of War II, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus and a couple of others are just sitting there!!

If Sony added BC via a software fix I'd be so happy.

[quote name='PraiseChaos']Slightly off topic... Did anyone else catch the page with PS4 specs and predictions of the PS5?
http://www.edepot.com/playstation4.html[/quote]
Wow... somebody wasted a lot of time writing all of that. Hope they remembered to pick up a 2015 Sports Almanac during their trip to the future.

I'm sure Sony is working on a software emulator for PS2. Whether it will actually be completed and see use in the PS3 is the question, IMO. From what I understand, it's quite a thorny engineering problem, and at the end of the day the PS3 may be just not powerful enough.

I really don't think they're doing anything with it. You would think they would have announced something after they cut it from the new models to ease people's minds. sony makes claims many times that they don't deliver on but say it just to make the hype or confidence of consumers. Like the Killzone 2 and Motorstorm video being real time or when they announced they were going to make an online version of GT4 which of course they couldn't deliver on but it was in their thoughts. Maybe they've changed their ways and won't announce something unless they know they can do it?

They progressively made the PS3 worse and not once gave any hope of making it better- I don't think out of the blue they are going deliver BC. Not to mention, is software BC something to be really excited about? Just look at the 360's BC, it sucks and that is with a much smaller library. sony did get awesome software BC with the PS1 though but I guess that is a much simpler system.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Don't care, my ps3 plays ps2/ps1 games already. :)[/quote]

You'll care when your PS3 dies and you can only replace it with a piece of crap version.

[quote name='Needles-Kane']You'll care when your PS3 dies and you can only replace it with a piece of crap version.[/quote]

I've never in my life had a console die on me, not sure if that's luck or the fact that I treat my consoles right.

Still I'm pretty sure if my ps3 were to die I would have the option of getting Sony to replace it with a BC ps3. Correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with a source...

so then are all the other bc system that are the 20 or 60 gb run on something other than emulation and if not then why cant they just make it something you can download?

[quote name='leveskikesko']I've never in my life had a console die on me, not sure if that's luck or the fact that I treat my consoles right.

Still I'm pretty sure if my ps3 were to die I would have the option of getting Sony to replace it with a BC ps3. Correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with a source...[/quote]

i had an nes bitch out on me but that aside i too have had great luck with systems. oh yeah my ds hinge recently cracked dammit.

[quote name='lokizz']so then are all the other bc system that are the 20 or 60 gb run on something other than emulation and if not then why cant they just make it something you can download?[/quote]
Those models include some or all of the essential PS2 hardware, similar to how a Wii includes the GameCube hardware. PSX emulation on the PS2 was an example of a pure software solution.

[quote name='lokizz']so then are all the other bc system that are the 20 or 60 gb run on something other than emulation and if not then why cant they just make it something you can download?[/quote]

20/60GB run on full hardware BC- they have a PS2 GPU and CPU

The original 80GB has partial hardware BC- it has a PS2 GPU

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Those models include some or all of the essential PS2 hardware, similar to how a Wii includes the GameCube hardware. PSX emulation on the PS2 was an example of a pure software solution.[/QUOTE]

actually early on the PS2 has the actual PSOne chip inside too. Late on it is software emulation.

[quote name='zenprime']Damn it, I just wish they'd either crush this rumor completely or do it.[/QUOTE]

MGS4 on 360 what?

Rumors can't die until they've been debunked or proven right. Which, in this case, means that as long as the PS3 is Sony's major gaming product, and it doesn't have PS2 BC in every console, the rumor shall live.

[quote name='zenprime']Damn it, I just wish they'd either crush this rumor completely or do it.[/quote]

As far as I know, they have crushed it. When they were question about removing BC they said they were not looking back and moving forward (it also seemed like they were saying they wouldn't have any in the PS4). I'll see if I can find the article on GameSpot.

Everything else is just gamers hoping it will be done. Sony hasn't hinted at it and have done and said everything to the contrary.

I've always wondered this. Can your transferred saves from your PS1/PS2 memory cards get corrupted by the shitty BC? My PS2 broke and I don't know how long my memory cards are going to last. I want to store all the saves on the PS3. I would eventually like to play through some of the old games again (I've been itching to play Vice City) but I don't want my saves getting all messed up.

Yeah, I read on GAF that it appears when consoles are getting repaired, they are in some sort of test mode (which exposes certain things on the PS3). The thing is, since 50% of the PS3 is emulated (the EE) you can actually see some stuff. But since the software code isn't complete, that may be why you do see them working, but probably not fully if tested (due to lacking the GS).

One thing that gives it away to me, for not being truly real (meaning it's coming soon) is no PS2 logo coming up when booting up PS2 games.

[quote name='mykevermin']So any PS2 test would be able to load and boot (not necessarily play) a PS2 game?[/QUOTE]

A PS3 test kit can play PS2 code, or at least all the ones I saw while I did QA. We even had to use them to do it because of running out of PS2's for online play.

I bought an 80GB with BC because I doubt Sony will reintroduce it later. This would be sick though for my brother.

[quote name='leveskikesko']I've never in my life had a console die on me, not sure if that's luck or the fact that I treat my consoles right.

Still I'm pretty sure if my ps3 were to die I would have the option of getting Sony to replace it with a BC ps3. Correct me if I'm wrong, preferably with a source...[/quote]

Wow your one lucky man. My 360, and my NES was the only systems I ever had die on me. I had a ps2 since launch, and never had a problem with it. I sold it after I got a 60 gig ps3.

[quote name='Blackout']I've always wondered this. Can your transferred saves from your PS1/PS2 memory cards get corrupted by the shitty BC? My PS2 broke and I don't know how long my memory cards are going to last. I want to store all the saves on the PS3. I would eventually like to play through some of the old games again (I've been itching to play Vice City) but I don't want my saves getting all messed up.[/quote]

They shouldn't get messed up. And once you have them on the PS3 it should be easy to copy them to another device like a memory stick, SD card or usb drive.

[quote name='advanced']A PS3 test kit can play PS2 code, or at least all the ones I saw while I did QA. We even had to use them to do it because of running out of PS2's for online play.[/quote]

I'm not trying to cast any doubt on the subject or any POV, but I'm curious why Sony includes the ability to boot PS2 code on development PS3's especially since they don't plan to reintroduce BC later. Anyone have any ideas? Are they just lazy to remove that section of code, or is there a valid purpose?

I may do a little research into the matter later. Need food first!

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possible to use a 40gb hdd and find a friend with an 80gb ps3 w/ software bc and put the 40 in that console and install the ps2 software onto the 40gb hdd?

[quote name='62t']actually early on the PS2 has the actual PSOne chip inside too. Late on it is software emulation.[/QUOTE]

No. This is a distorted take on the history. What the PS2, every model to date, has is a chip designed by LSI thatt incorporates most of the entire PS1 chipset along with additional features. This includes the MIPS CPU, which runs slower when running PS1 games, and the graphics processor LSI did for the PS1. Combined with the other PS2 elements this allows 99% PS1 compatibility and in return performs a variety of vital functions for the PS2: the drives, memory cards, other ports, and other operations are managed by this chip.

By extending the PS1 hardware and enlisting it as part of the overall PS2 architecture the cost of the backward compatibility was kept very low. At the time, software emulation of the PS1 was still quite challenging. The best PC emulators only handled a fraction of the library. The passage of time has brought technological improvements that hugely expanded system resources and made running PS1 software on different hardware an easily done feat, especially when there was no issue over proprietary IP violations.

What you wrote is more accurate if you move things up a generation. Some PS3 models had a nearly complete PS2 hardware set on the board while others had only a partial chipset with the remainder handled by so-so software emulation. Unlike the PS2's incorporation of the PS1 hardware, the PS2 chips were given no native task on the PS3. They were there solely to provide PS2 software compatibility and thus were expendable when cost cutting was deemed more important than product features.

This is just one of the long list of near disasters due to Sony enthusiasm for a radically different system design, little of which made it to the final product.

Likewise, it's a misnomer to say Nintendo included the GameCube hardware in the Wii. The Wii chipset is a direct expansion of the GameCube chipset. To say that that Nintendo included the GameCube hardware makes it sound like an optional item. Imagine someone saying that Intel included the Pentium in the Pentium II.

[quote name='fatez']is it possible to use a 40gb hdd and find a friend with an 80gb ps3 w/ software bc and put the 40 in that console and install the ps2 software onto the 40gb hdd?[/QUOTE]

The PS2 support in that model is still partially driven by dedicated hardware. It's a less complete version than in the 60 GB and thus more subject to failure.

There is a PS3 in my home that I can use but it is in a shared area of the house and I prefer solitude for most of my gaming. BC would be a significant selling point in getting me to buy a future PS3 model, along with price. The amount of gear I can host in my room is severely limited. At the same time I have hundreds of games on both the PS1 and PS2. A single console that supported those libraries along with its own would be considerably more interesting than not being able to use my PS2 library without more hardware crowding my space.

I would not be surprised if Sony, in light of the current economy, sought to directly monetize PS2 emulation rather than give it away as an added enticement to buying a PS3. As seen on the Xbox 360, it is far easier to deliver emulation on a per game basis than claim across the board compatibility. Likewise, Sony would likely wish to extend the PSN offering beyond PS1 to include PS2 games for downloading. This is already happening with original Xbox games available for download purchase on the Xbox 360.

So, say you want to play Final Fantasy X. This is a BIG download but you don't need most of it immediately. Due to the linear nature of the story, there are large chunk of the data that aren't needed ntil many hours into the game. If the emulator allows downloading to continue in the background, all the better but not critical.

But what if you already have the PS2 game on DVD? A local store still had it in stock or a friend lent it to you. It doesn't matter. What matters is that the disc will pass copy protection scrutiny and the multi-gigabyte download is now reduce to an emulator specialized to FFX that downloads in a minute or two. Instead of $10 for the whole game, you pay, say, 99 cents for the emulator.

Sony and third party publisher would love this because it means deriving revenue from used games. And it could be carried out to other platforms. The Dreamcast platform could be licensed for emulation from Sega. So long as Sega pockets a dime every time an emulator or entire Dreamcast game is sold via PSN, what have they to lose? (Microsoft or Nintendo could just as easily pursue that, too.)

Just because there's no media card slot + 2 USB + a 40GB HDD doesn't mean that it's the non-BC 40GB. The original 20GB had only 2 front USB ports, no media cards and could have had the harddrive upgraded. Unless they show the model number, I don't necessarily believe it. It'd be nice if it was true.

You don't know much about PS3's do you?

That PS3 in the video had a chrome front.

The 20GB lacks the chrome.

So unless that guy did the chroming himself(which isn't cheap and doesn't always look good), I'm gonna believe that was a 40GB PS3

Also, I don't know why people keep saying the 20GB model had 2 USB ports. It had 4, just like the 60GB, it was just missing the media card slots and wi-fi.

bread's done
Back