ps2 fanatics(or if you love sidescrolling, artistic games), get in here!

Bencherstyle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
hello caggers, hear me out, i'm in need of serious help.

recently i finished getting most of the GBA games that i wanted, and its time to move on to the ps2.

reason- didn't get into it that far...

so i heard there were precious gems that i did not look for, and here's where you come in :) (with your opinions and suggestions of course :p, which i value the most!)

the games im looking for are

Odin Sphere - Sidescroller, Action, Art
Alien Hominid - Sidescroller, Action, Art
MetalSlug Anthology - Sidescroller, Action, Art

obviously i'm in love with the side scrolling gameplay and art direction,

so my first question is, have you seen these games at retailers? if so, how much?

second question (also my last,) do you suggest any other games with fun, sidescrolling, action, with a hint of art direction?

Ps2, gamecube, Ds, GBA, PS3

I imagine you should be able to find Odin Sphere in stores... but if not, let me know and I can send you my copy. I bought it brand new and only played it once or twice (it's on PS2... have hardly touched it in years).

As for games with great art styles, I love Tales of Vesperia. I think it's only on 360 right now, but it's basically like you're playing an anime. It's a gorgeous game though, and I can't get enough of it.

[quote name='craig64']I imagine you should be able to find Odin Sphere in stores... but if not, let me know and I can send you my copy. I bought it brand new and only played it once or twice (it's on PS2... have hardly touched it in years).

As for games with great art styles, I love Tales of Vesperia. I think it's only on 360 right now, but it's basically like you're playing an anime. It's a gorgeous game though, and I can't get enough of it.[/quote]

when did you buy Odin, and how much was it then, if you could kindly remember ;)

oooh.... i have never finished a turnbased RPG, and i think ToV is Turnbased... is it?

I have ran into Odin Sphere a couple times, I think it was at EB where I saw it for $19.99 (GH). Since it had a GH run, it should be plentiful.

[quote name='Rocky071']I have ran into Odin Sphere a couple times, I think it was at EB where I saw it for $19.99 (GH). Since it had a GH run, it should be plentiful.[/quote]

great! thanks for confirming it :) i hope it was new, correct? i was worried this might be a hard game to come across

Odin Sphere is in stock at amazon.ca, price increased to $24.99(GH). I've seen tons of non-GH copies at Walmart for $50.
I've seen Metal Slug Anthology at Rogers Plus for $14.99 (used).

Tales of Vesperia is an action RPG; no turn-based battles.

If you can't find odin sphere at EB, it's available on amazon for $20.

Edit: beaten to the punch. And it was $20 when I ordered it a few days ago...

[quote name='RavenousBear']Odin Sphere is in stock at amazon.ca, price increased to $24.99(GH). I've seen tons of non-GH copies at Walmart for $50.
I've seen Metal Slug Anthology at Rogers Plus for $14.99 (used).

Tales of Vesperia is an action RPG; no turn-based battles.[/quote]

sweet, great to hear that MSA is that low :) last time i found it, it was 39.99 used :whistle2:# ill try to look for MSA ASAP! and im pretty sure ill find Odin Sphere, 19.99 is a great price for me ;)

[quote name='Gerwich']If you can't find odin sphere at EB, it's available on amazon for $20.[/quote]

ill turn to amazon if i can't , thank you!

You can buy a digital copy of alien hominid on xbox live marketplace for 800 microsoft points(around $9 canadian)
Link->http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/alienhominidxboxlivearcade/

Amazon has Alien Hominid for $24 new for playstation 2(Link Below) , but to get alien hominid from store retailers would be extremely rare, it's discontiuned from all stores, and is only sold at used retailers( but is still extremely rare within the used market), so this game would be a hard find.
Link->http://www.amazon.ca/O3-Entertainment-Inc-7346900301-Hominid/dp/B000678MB6

[quote name='Turtleman']You can buy a digital copy of alien hominid on xbox live marketplace for 800 microsoft points(around $9 canadian)
Link->http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/a/alienhominidxboxlivearcade/

Amazon has Alien Hominid for $24 new for playstation 2(Link Below) , but to get alien hominid from store retailers would be extremely rare, it's discontiuned from all stores, and is only sold at used retailers( but is still extremely rare within the used market), so this game would be a hard find.
Link->http://www.amazon.ca/O3-Entertainment-Inc-7346900301-Hominid/dp/B000678MB6[/quote]

ooooh. i would love that Digital copy.. but dont have a 360 :cold:

did not know if this was a rare game :( ill try out amazon, after i look at multiple ebs/retailers this week.

thanks for your input!:)

[quote name='Bencherstyle']second question (also my last,) do you suggest any other games with fun, sidescrolling, action, with a hint of art direction?[/quote]

Grim Grimoire - Seeing as you're trying Odin Sphere it can't hurt to give it a shot too. It's more a RTS than a action game though. But still interesting/neat.
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - Easily one of the best sidescrollers, EVER. You won't find it in stores at this point, you'll need to eBay for it or something.
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus - Not sidescrollers, but if you want games that were art. It was amusing playing Prince of Persia and seeing tidbits/ideas that were flatout stolen from them :lol:
Heavenly Guardian - You know Pocky & Rocky? It's more of that, a walkie shooter. It's $10 at HMV.

That's all the random suggestions I can think of off the top of my head that kinda fit your criteria.

[quote name='ragnar14']Grim Grimoire - Seeing as you're trying Odin Sphere it can't hurt to give it a shot too. It's more a RTS than a action game though. But still interesting/neat.
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil - Easily one of the best sidescrollers, EVER. You won't find it in stores at this point, you'll need to eBay for it or something.
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus - Not sidescrollers, but if you want games that were art. It was amusing playing Prince of Persia and seeing tidbits/ideas that were flatout stolen from them :lol:
Heavenly Guardian - You know Pocky & Rocky? It's more of that, a walkie shooter. It's $10 at HMV.

That's all the random suggestions I can think of off the top of my head that kinda fit your criteria.[/quote]

damn, thanks a million. i checked out Klonoa 2 ( i saw this somewhere... damn!) , looks amazing, my kind of game, can't beleive i didnt know about this untill now, ill be in pursuit of finding it :) ill give Grim Grimoire a try, since i love the art. ;) RTS.... hmmm. wonder how it plays like.
i lpicked up Shadow of the colossus, unfortunately, for me, the gameplay was falling short for me :(, but i loved the Artstyle. I've been looking for Ico.... no luck so far. thanks for the suggestions! :) ill be looking forward to finding and playing these games! come back if you rememeber any others:applause:

i found MSA :D yayyyy. it was hard for me to find it, but still.

it was at BBV, for 14.99 PS2, used the 25% off coupon for 12.50 after tax :D

....odin sphere, and others , here i come!

For suggestions, I would recommend Viewtiful Joe(1 or 2) -- it's from the creators of Okami. I have seen it at stores such as RCSS for $5 or less.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']ooooh. i would love that Digital copy.. but dont have a 360 :cold:

did not know if this was a rare game :( ill try out amazon, after i look at multiple ebs/retailers this week.

thanks for your input!:)[/quote]

or you could get alien hominid from the developers store for $10 but i dont know how much shipping is http://www.thebehemoth.com/store/

edit: it says $10 but when you add it to cart its now only $5 and shipping can be as cheap as about $6

[quote name='RavenousBear']For suggestions, I would recommend Viewtiful Joe(1 or 2) -- it's from the creators of Okami. I have seen it at stores such as RCSS for $5 or less.[/quote]

i did see/play abit, but i didn't like it :( a shame...

[quote name='seed84']or you could get alien hominid from the developers store for $10 but i dont know how much shipping is http://www.thebehemoth.com/store/

edit: it says $10 but when you add it to cart its now only $5 and shipping can be as cheap as about $6[/quote]

sweet! ill be getting this soon, thanks :)

PS2:
Gradius 5 (it's not spritebased but it's a lovely game that plays wonderfully)
Gradius 3/4 (or if you have a PSP, grab Gradius Collection, it's 15 bucks at EB)
Capcom Classics Collection 1/2 (no explanation needed)
Samurai Shodown Anthology (no explanation needed)
Capcom vs SNK 2 (two works collide and they brought with them wacky english spoken by the japanese)
Street Fighter Anthology (Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting and SF3: Third Strike in package means 90 percent of last gen's consoles best sprites are found here)
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (same as above but the sprites are just a step worse)

GC:
Baten Kaitos 1/Origins (if you like prerendered backgrounds, it's all gorgeous)
Megaman X Collection (just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not good >:p )

GBA:
Megaman Zero series (some of the best sprites seen on the system, and they play excellently)
MM Battle Network (a large assortment of wonderful sprites as well, and a great implementation of realtime with turn base battle)
Super Robot Wars: Original Generation (About a billion of these gets release in Japan a year but only two made it in english, so there has to be a reason why people buy these games featuring over the top robot battles launching swords, missiles and kitchen sinks at each other)

DS:
Meteos (one of my favourite games on the system, and I own over 50 titles)
Big Bang Mini (despite me bitching about the price tag, it's worth getting for the wacky fireworks effects and other wacky effects; and the game plays well beyond my expectations, everyone should have a copy)

By the great whiskers of the ancient ones, how could I forget my fav DS games are also the ones with more sprite based graphics that even makes an old codger cry.

Henry Hatsworth (released recently and is a throwback to older MM style games, the system's true successor to the MM franchise)
Children of Mana (a reimagining of the origina Secret of Mana but dressed up more like a dungeon crawler; recommended for those who are into those types of games)

and of course
Contra fcking 4 (!!! This one is a straight up homage to 16 style gaming from its graphics, to sound, difficulty and artwork. I've pushed this game around here before and I still haven't stopped. :D)

Super Robot Wars: Original Generation (About a billion of these gets release in Japan a year but only two made it in english, so there has to be a reason why people buy these games featuring over the top robot battles launching swords, missiles and kitchen sinks at each other)
Great games (two of them in the series), very very Japanese in their gameplay styling though. It's a love or hate thing I think. Sadly most of them don't get released here because the series is famous for involving characters and mecha from a collection of various animes... in N/A it's just too hard to get around the licensing headaches and there's not enough market demand for such titles (though they would be a blast!)

bread's done
Back