PS2 games look like poop on PS3

There's this whole upside down or reverse pixel theory floating around. I read a webpage documenting it and going into this WAY too overdone explanation. If the PS3 natively upscaled the PS2 games to 720p, I'd be so happy. Hopefully they also upscale DVDs at some point too. For now, the PS3 will be boxed up and returned due to massive shittyness.

[quote name='s3v3n777']I read a webpage[/QUOTE]

If you read this one, too, you'd realize that this has been mentioned repeatedly and linked two twice. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

PS1 games look fine on the PS3, FWIW - the issue is apparently only with PS2 games (and only those, it seems, that don't support progressive scan - which is damn near all of them). But, of course, PS1 games still look like PS1 games - on a nice big HDTV it kind of surprises you what passed for "awesome graphics" a decade ago. They have not, IMO, held up well at all.

I found a work-around (not quite a fix) for this problem. Basically, there are issues when trying to display at 480i game in 480p and the PS3 attempts to do this whenever it can.

However, just setting the max output resolution to 480i will force the PS3 to display the game in the 480i it was designed for. If using component cables, just uncheck all the resolutions from 480p on up, you don't need any additional fussing and can just change it back later. If using HDMI like I am, you'll need to run the composite cable (remember that useless cable that came in the box?) to your TV too. When playing a PS2 game, just set the output to the lower resolution cable.

I'm happy to report that FFXII now looks exactly the same on my PS3 as it used to when running from my PS2. (this is running off component cables now with all the higher resolutions unchecked and I just switch back to HDMI for everything else, this configuration definately, absolutely works.)

I haven't tested any other combinations of cables, but as long as you can uncheck 480p as an available resolution, it should work.

[quote name='s3v3n777']For now, the PS3 will be boxed up and returned due to massive shittyness.[/QUOTE]

lol, crab reference?

bread's done
Back