PS2 RPGs

Jam424

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I'm looking for some good Old School feeling RPGs for the PS2 if anyone has any suggestions. Something along the lines of the early Final Fantasy series (1-9) or Breath of Fire type games. I've played SMT: Nocturne and had a hard time actually getting into the game. Currently I'm thinking of starting Grandia Xtreme to try that out.

Dragon Quest VIII is the first one that springs to mind. It's relentlessly old-school and very good.

It's predecessor on the PSX (Dragon Warrior VII) is also very much a retro-style RPG.

Grandia Xtreme isnt very traditional either. However Grandia 1-3 are very traditional. In fact a lot of people said Grandia 3 is too old school

Yeah, haven't made it far into Grandia Xtreme, but I see now that its not traditional at all. I've played through and almost beaten Dragon Quest 8 and I had a really hard time getting into Xenosaga... mainly cause episode 1 just seems like more mini games than story/action. Don't really know, I might have just gotten off track.

Go out and get Final Fantasy XII right now...best RPG on the system. Also, I'd actually consider the Grand Theft Auto games RPGs too.

I'll second Atelier Iris. I played it 40+ hours on release week, which, if you understand my gaming habits, is really saying something.

dq8, nocturne, atelier iris. (I had more fun creating items than playing. the story and battle system blow).
uhm. wild arms 3 (not 4)
I forget what else. I think I've played almost all the NA ps2 rpgs.

I was never able to get in to Wild Arms 3. It was too hard to earn money and the hole searching mechanic got old. I really, really wanted to like the game and ended up making it about 15 hours in before I just gave up.

i tolerated wa3. couldnt stand 4. i don't feel confident enough in the series to pick up 5. so3 wasted my time. i never finished it.

[quote name='vherub']are there any good rpgs that clock in under 30 hours? ideally with no random combat?[/quote]

Each of the 3 Xenosaga games were under 30 hours. They didn't have random encounters either.

My wife typically only plays games with no random encounters. The only exception she made that I'm aware of is Tales of Legendia - but she was so into the Tales series by that point she didn't care.

Off the top of my head, RPGs with no random encounters: Xenosaga trilogy, Star Ocean: TTT, Valkyrie Profile 2, Tales of the Abyss, and Final Fantasy XII.

Atelier Iris 1, 2, & 3
Dragon Quest 8
Final Fantasy X (kinda old school, but sitll very good)
Grandia 2, 3
Wild Arms 3, Alter Code F (re-make of 1)

[quote name='cindersphere']Too late for that now.[/QUOTE]
Isn't Persona 3 FES rumored to come out in the US? If that's the case, he can buy it then.

Don't have anything to rec that hasn't already been mentioned. Well, except maybe Okage: Shadow King. It's easy, but entertaining.

Yeah, I forgot how much I loved the first two shadow hearts games. those really made an impression with me. One of the few games that I wanted to play though w/ all the sidequests. (that and FF X was the other).

Here's a list of (what I think are) good PS2 rpgs.

Shadow Hearts 1
Xenosaga 1 &3
Suikoden 3 & 5
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Persona 3
Final Fantasy 10
Grandia 2
Valkyrie Profile 2
Tsugunai Atonement
Odin Sphere

Honourable mention - Shadow Of Destiny (not really an RPG - more of an adventure game - but worth checking out)

Ones that I would rent or only buy for extremely cheap

Final Fantasy 12
Shadow Hearts 2 & 3
Dragon Quest 8
Xenosaga 2
Suikoden 4
Dragon-on Dragoon 1 & 2
(which alot of people seem to forget about)

I haven't played

Grandia 3
Star Ocean 3
Any of the PS2 Wild Arms games
Kingdom Hearts 1 or 2
Rogue Galaxy

And opinions seem to be mixed on those so I would research them yourself.

Hope that's helpful.

[quote name='cindersphere']Too late for that now.[/quote]

It's not that rare yet, you can still find them in-stores if you're willing to go hunt for them.

[quote name='blueshinra']Isn't Persona 3 FES rumored to come out in the US? If that's the case, he can buy it then.[/quote]

Atlus might just release the Append Version of it, which requires the original P3 game to play, then the P3 price tag would skyrocket. You also get a nice hardcover artbook and a soundtrack.

I'm hoping that Atlus will give out life-size, or mini evokers as a pre-order bonus for FES. >_>

Shadow Hearts 1 2 3
Grandia 3
Growlanser Generations
Dark Cloud 2
Rogue Galaxy

I am sure there are a bunch more I can't think of. But those are the ones that consumed my life from beginning to end.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Here's a list of (what I think are) good PS2 rpgs.

Shadow Hearts 1
Xenosaga 1 &3
Suikoden 3 & 5
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2
Persona 3
Final Fantasy 10
Grandia 2
Valkyrie Profile 2
Tsugunai Atonement
Odin Sphere

Ones that I would rent or only buy for extremely cheap

Final Fantasy 12
Shadow Hearts 2 & 3
Dragon Quest 8
(which alot of people seem to forget about)

I haven't played

Grandia 3
Star Ocean 3
Any of the PS2 Wild Arms games
Kingdom Hearts 1 or 2
Rogue Galaxy

And opinions seem to be mixed on those so I would research them yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Most people say Shadow Hearts 2 is much better than 1, interesting opinion you have there. Can you elaborate on why you liked the first better? I'm considering this series next after I finish Persona 3.

Also Dragon Quest 8 and Rogue Galaxy I'd put up there with the best.

[quote name='keithp']Most people say Shadow Hearts 2 is much better than 1, interesting opinion you have there. Can you elaborate on why you liked the first better? I'm considering this series next after I finish Persona 3.

Also Dragon Quest 8 and Rogue Galaxy I'd put up there with the best.[/QUOTE]
I didn't like the revisionist way they made the villain from the first game into a "good guy". And the first game is a little more steeped in horror than the second.
And DQ 8 was dull as dishwater.

Well as far as Shadow Hearts 2 goes,
If you're talking about Roger, he was good in the first one. Albert on the other hand, well thats a totally different story.

DQ8 seemed almost too childish, but it had a lot of funny parts with a lot of jokes for adults. It was entertaining, but not what I would consider one of the best RPGs for PS2

bread's done
Back