PS2 System Deals?

joemoedee

CAGiversary!
As one of the few people that does not have a PS2, and being incessantly cheap, I want to get a PS2. (I have an Xbox and a Gamecube, outside of a few Nintendo exclusives there are not many games I want to still get)

Are there any decent deals going for them, new or refurb? Gamestop had used big PS2s for 59.99, and slim for 69.99. I bought my Gamecube used from GS a few years back, are used PS2s from there reliable?

The early 30000xxx models are the ones that DRE the most. This includes launch models and up to the Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec bundles. The best fat ones are the 50000xxx models which don't dre nearly as much, have a better laser and overall are a lot more reliable.

Having gone through 3 fat PS2s and still have a working slim PS2, I have to say that fat models are absolutely horrible. Going through 3 different fat models(10001, 30001, 50001), they all got DREs within a year of purchase or replacement. Do yourself a favor & pick a slim PS2.

As for refurbished at Gamestop, the systems are decently repaired. But the repairs are handled by a contracted company, not Sony. So there maybe problems that Sony would catch that the contractor didn't. Oh, I know now after having a sister that bought a refurbed PS2 from them in the past, get one in store. If you don't, you have a 50/50 chance of receiving a 3rd party controller instead of a Dual Shock 2 controller.

I've seen friends buy PS2s from the same gamestop, and ended up going through their entire inventory of used ones trying to find ones that worked. I wouldn't put my money on ones from there. You'd be better off finding someone trying to get rid of one now that they have a PS3.

bread's done
Back