PS2-to buy or not to buy

berzirk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Kind of two parts to this one, thanks to the Sony Rewards program thingy, I have enough points where I could get a PS2 for free.

So, 1) is it worth it to get a PS2 at this point, considering I never had one, and there are lots of games I wish I had played, or should I just give it up and move on; and 2) what are some good websites for cheap PS2 games?

Surprisingly Gamestop, of all places, has quite a few really good sub $10 games. eBay always seems so hit or miss for me.

PS2 is just about done with new games, there might be a couple more new games, but nothing that great. But I'd say go for it, also GameStop has some amazing deals on used PS2 games. So go there and get some great games for really cheap, stuff like Metal Gear Solid 2 can be picked up for $3, God of War for $15, Resident Evil 4 for $10.

GREATEST. CONSOLE. EVER. Seriously.

I've owned them all, but PS2 had an amazing library of titles. Plus, you can get them dirt cheap now used.

Great thread- I was very late to the PS2 party, and I would never part with it, especially since my PS3 isn't backward compatible.

I actually enjoy being behind the curve in gaming. There are so many games I haven't played for so many systems, I can buy a cool new game (new to ME anyway) pretty much any time I want, and I can choose how much I pay, anywhere from a $2 bargain bin disc only PS2 game all the way up to a new release.

Oh, and if you DO get a PS2, and you like racing games - get Tourist Trophy. I paid less than $5 for it, and I feel like I stole it... heh.

You can buy mine if you want. I am trying to sell it along with my multitap, wired controller, and wireless Logitech controller. It is a Slimline. Let me know if you're interested. Even if I wasn't selling one, I'd say it's still worth it to buy one. There are hundreds of games under $10 that are still really, really good. Not really worth it to buy a new console and spend $60 a game if you're not ready.

=V

I love it. Nothing like posting about wanting to buy videogames, on a videogame website's forums to help validate a purchase! Hee hee. I'm pretty much sold on it. I even have about 7 games on my gamestop wishlist for under $50 after CAG16. Is there a limit to how many games it applies to? I had more in my cart, but it looks like the coupon was only applying to 8 games.

The console is new to you and thats all that really matters. The games are definetly playable and good. Even when they stop making or selling games for it i doubt i will part with it. The used market will last for years and years with so many games still out there. It has been out to long for it just to vanish.
If you need any help finding games i would suggest look for the triple packs. In example Metal gear solid collection, N4S collection, Resident evil essentials, hitman trilogy, Devil may cry ann. edition has 1,2,3 special edition. These are some nice sets with lots of playing time.

There are hundreds of great games on the PS2... If you're ok with older games, then I say go for it.

There are some really cheap PS2 games on Amazon and Sakura Wars just came out (you know you want it). You can also hit up the goodwill, yard sales, pawn shops, ect where you'll usually be able to find some cheap PS2 games.

[quote name='berzirk']I love it. Nothing like posting about wanting to buy videogames, on a videogame website's forums to help validate a purchase! Hee hee. I'm pretty much sold on it. I even have about 7 games on my gamestop wishlist for under $50 after CAG16. Is there a limit to how many games it applies to? I had more in my cart, but it looks like the coupon was only applying to 8 games.[/QUOTE]

I think CAG16 only applies to used games, but not sure how many.

The other option right now is if you have more than $100 worth of games you want, use 25OFF to get 25% off all games.

I did a quick test with 16 random new / used games and it gave me 25% off all of them. It will tell you how much you save on each game.

[quote name='WarlordFDC']I think CAG16 only applies to used games, but not sure how many.

The other option right now is if you have more than $100 worth of games you want, use 25OFF to get 25% off all games.

I did a quick test with 16 random new / used games and it gave me 25% off all of them. It will tell you how much you save on each game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's going to work great. I've already ordered the free gift card to cover the PS2, just ordered a knock-off 64MB memory card. Now to place my order for the games. Last step, justifying the purchases to my wife who is going to ask me why in the hell I need yet another videogame system. :whistle2:\"

This is seriously not going to help with my backlog. Heh.

Yes. There are so many great, classic PS2 games that it could probably keep you occupied for the rest of your gaming life all by itself. The JRPG library alone is absolutely staggering.

Not to mention the huge slew of retro compilations on the system-- PS2 was Virtual Console before there was Virtual Console.

Never owned a PS2? You might as well not exist. The only way to redeem yourself is to buy three of them. You owe the PS2 your attention.

I never owned a PS2 but I was about to when they released the MGS4 PS3 that was backward-compatible. I play more PS2 games on the PS3 than PS3 games. :D

Talk about buying into a huge library of games...

If there's stuff on the PS2 that interests you, go for it. It's a good system and there's a lot to play on it. Plus Sony will likely never put BC back into the PS3, so there's that.

(I'm going to assume you don't own a PS3, but if you do and you're interested in God of War, just get the Collection on that instead - improved graphics and Trophies are nice and you end up paying only a bit more.)

I've been thinking about getting one myself, as the PS1 has been showing signs of age (Oooo, my framerate, oooo... :oldman:) and I'd always just play my buddies PS2 back in the day... You can't really go wrong any way you look at it. It's official then. PS2s for everyone! YA!

Yes you should because the PS2 has a great library of games for a cheap price. Graphics may be outdated but in the end i think its great to get one for free

And I pulled the trigger on the games list. It haaaas begun. Still can't believe I got all of these for about the same price as a new 360 game. Heh. Cat in the Hat was a throw in to call it a buy for my son, and not selfish lil ole me. I'm going to wait a few months then do the more expensive games like God of War, Kingdom Hearts, FF XXXX, GTA San Andreas, Kingdom Hearts I/II, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico.

Even if I don't like half of these, I can probably post em on craigslist and get a few bucks back. Thanks for the continued encouragement CAGsters!

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty $2.99
Cat in the Hat $4.99
JAK and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy $4.99
Grand Theft Auto III $4.99
Devil May Cry $5.99
Jak II $ 5.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City $6.99
Ratchet and Clank $6.99
Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition $8.99
Jak 3 $9.99
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando $9.99
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater $9.99
Devil May Cry 2 $6.99
Okami $12.99

Total: $102.86
Total after coupons: (10Auto/25off) $ 69.43

[quote name='berzirk'] just ordered a knock-off 64MB memory card. [/QUOTE]

No no no, only buy official memory cards. Return that thing if you haven't opened it yet and find some two-packs of official 8 MB cards.

Do you have a PS3 or 360? I know in my case I haven't touched my PS2 much since getting a PS3 slim last year.

^
Listen to slfc, get the official memory cards. Your game saves are far more important than saving a few bucks on the knock-offs.

[quote name='eau']^
Listen to slfc, get the official memory cards. Your game saves are far more important than saving a few bucks on the knock-offs.[/QUOTE]

Yah, we'll see. I've had really good success with knock-offs from Deal Extreme. If it doesn't work, and I burnt $8 on a 64MB fake card, then I'm OK with that. It's a cheap way to at least get started. I won't save epic long game saves to it, so if I lose some Jak and Dexter or Cat in the Hat saves...meh, I can live with that. I wouldn't want to lose 50+hrs on an RPG.

In general I entirely agree with you guys, but this whole purchase has really been an impulse buy. I do have a PSP and a 360, no PS3. Would've bought one if they kept backwards compatibility, but they did away with that, which really did away with my purchase intent.

[quote name='berzirk']Yah, we'll see. I've had really good success with knock-offs from Deal Extreme. If it doesn't work, and I burnt $8 on a 64MB fake card, then I'm OK with that. It's a cheap way to at least get started. I won't save epic long game saves to it, so if I lose some Jak and Dexter or Cat in the Hat saves...meh, I can live with that. I wouldn't want to lose 50+hrs on an RPG.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't want to lose 20 hours in Jak, 20 hours in GTA, and 10 hours in Devil May Cry, either. It might not fail for the first week, or month, but you really can't trust it. It's not a question of whether you lose $8, but it's losing hours and hours and hours.

If you actually plan on playing MGS3, pony up and get Subsistence, MGS 3 is one of my favorite PS2 games, and Snake eater is near unplayable with the camera controls as they are.

Get it either on it's own, or in the MGS: Essentials collection, which I believe can be fairly easily acquired for 19.99 still.

oh and +1 on official memory cards

I've owned 3 different PS2's at some point, my latest I sold to a friend who wanted it exclusively for some Final Fantasy PS1 and PS2 titles. I would have purchased a PS3, but without the backwards compatability, I opted for the Xbox 360. You CAN NOT go wrong with a PS2... what a great system!

bread's done
Back