PS3 320GB SATA Internal HDD prices - Amazon.com and Newegg.com

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
You can backup and restore to/from an external USB drive to save some hassle. That said, it seems to take a very, very long time to run the backup... (the one time I did it it took around 1-2 hours, although when I checked the disk afterwards everything was very tightly compressed so that explains some of it)

[quote name='Taboner']Sorry. I thought maybe the files can be saved on a computer and dragged and dropped. Any formatting needed? What is the biggest HD size available for a PS3?[/quote]
500gb is the largest hdd size for the ps3 currently.

[quote name='107proof']I got in on the Hitachi 320 GB drive a couple weeks ago when it was $59.00 after rebate
dot.PNG

Also, maybe its just me but I have an older 40GB model, but I had no trouble at all with the hard drive screws, I was expecting them to give me a pain since I read so much about them but they just came right out, No force needed. I had the old one out and the new 320Gb drive installed in a matter of under 5 minutes.

Just make sure before you replace your drive that you back up your current drive to a USB drive. Then you can do a restore when you get the new one installed. THis took about 10 minutes to do.

Also, I picked up the Nippon Labs EN-25SATA 2.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure from newegg it works great and was cheap too $11.89 with FREE SHIPPING!!

Here is the link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001[/quote]

Do you think it might be that price again sometime soon? I am speaking of the 59.99 price for the 320GB hard drive of course not the USB one that you mention being 11.89. Thanks ;)

[quote name='Rusdude']320 GB? I'm waiting until 7200 rpm 500 GB drives come out early next year which should cause 5400 rpm drives to drop in price. From what I read, 7200 vs 5400 isn't going to make a big difference on PS3.[/QUOTE]

The price has already dropped alot since May 2008, when I bought a 320GB WD from newegg for $130. How much cheaper do you expect them to get?

Would a 500 GB HD with these specs work with a PS3?:

[FONT=&quot]Size: 3.5"
Capacities: 500 GB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Performance:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Databuffer (MB) : 16
Rotational speed (RPM): 7200
Media transfer rate (Mbits/sec, max): 1138
Interface transfer rate (MB/sec, max): 300
Power Idle (W): 4.8 (2 disk) 3.6 (1 disk)
Interfaces: SATA 3GB/sec (Not compatible with ATA-7, IDE,PATA models)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Dimension(width x depth,mm): [/FONT][FONT=&quot]101.6(+/-0.25) x 147
Height (mm): 26.1
Weight (typical, g, max.): 550[/FONT]

I didn't see this posted in here but from experience (i went from 40 to 250 gig).

The backup feature on the ps3 menu works like a charm but takes forever to run. sync your trophies with the server first (the backup doesn't save trophy data) I used a 30 gig external for the backup.

on a PC download and save the firmware from playstation website. This seems to be always left out of walkthroughs I have seen on the web. When you replace the hard drive with a new one the system wants the firmware from an external source.

use the backup/restore feature to restore your data onto the new drive, downloads and game saves will all be there.

Saw this thread while searching for a new PS3 HD. Is that Seagate one in the OP any good? Newegg users seem to rate it high.

It doesn't have to be the fastest one, just looking for an easy install and good reliability/performance. Thanks in advance.

Seagate has been in the press for the wrong reasons over their desktop hard drives failing because of bad firmware. They also reduced their warranty, which used to be 5 years. I got a Hitachi 320gb on my PS3, and when purchasing from NewEgg, I verified that the OEM model I was purchasing came with a standard warranty, and not a reduced one. Hitachi web site states that OEM drives have 3 year warranty.

Look around for deals. Drive performance from one manufacturer to the next is not that different. CHeck their warranty policies on retail and OEM parts and buy the drive you want after that.

[quote name='mykee98']I didn't see this posted in here but from experience (i went from 40 to 250 gig).

The backup feature on the ps3 menu works like a charm but takes forever to run. sync your trophies with the server first (the backup doesn't save trophy data) I used a 30 gig external for the backup.

on a PC download and save the firmware from playstation website. This seems to be always left out of walkthroughs I have seen on the web. When you replace the hard drive with a new one the system wants the firmware from an external source.

use the backup/restore feature to restore your data onto the new drive, downloads and game saves will all be there.[/quote]

I did exactly the same thing as this^^^^ Worked like a charm.

I also bought a #0 Phillips Precision Screwdriver for 3 dollars at Ace Hardware and had NO problems with the screws.

I bought the Hitachi drive for my Macbook, and it's wonderful. Actual space is about 297GB (at least Mac formatted), and installing it was ridiculously easy. ZipZoomFly's shipping was quick - they shipped FedEx Ground, and I got it in about two business days. Price for me was $55 shipped after rebate (CA tax), but I'll definitely back them as a company.

I just can't justify spending that much for a HDD when I can get a brand new games for the same price.
I especially don't know how those with Xbox 360s do it.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']I just can't justify spending that much for a HDD when I can get a brand new games for the same price.
I especially don't know how those with Xbox 360s do it.
pixel.gif
[/quote]

Most of us don't! Just seems a hardcore few.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']I just can't justify spending that much for a HDD when I can get a brand new games for the same price.
I especially don't know how those with Xbox 360s do it.[/quote]
One of the main reasons I upgraded on my PS3 was because of game installs. I like having my whole collection ready to just play, instead of having to wait for an install if I feel like playing DMC4 a year later.

I started using the system for TV show collections too after I put the new HDD in though.

Anybody know where I can get a cheap, low capacity external USB drive to backup my 60 GB PS3? I've only used 35 GB or so, and I'd like to put in a higher capacity drive so I can use my PS3 as a media hub - I just don't have anything for the initial backup process. Any help would be much appreciated.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']I especially don't know how those with Xbox 360s do it.[/quote]

It was an easy decision for me, because buying the 120GB drive was a long-term "investment" that would make my XBox experience better. I could install a bunch of my often-played games to the drive and never worry about having to delete stuff to make room. Of course, it was a lot easier to swallow that pill getting the used drive for $70 from GameStop and then selling the transfer kit and old 20GB drive for about $60. But even if I had to pay a considerable amount, I would have. It just makes the entire system better.

If you don't mind a tiny bit more work here is more gigs for less money.
Western Digital Elements 400GB Portable Harddrive - $79.99 @ Staples.com:
http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...ss_Supplies_1_10051_SC3:CG104:DP2167:CL160403

With a $25 off $75 coupon for a couple bucks from ejunkie(purchased with a paypal account):
http://www.e-junkie.com/shop/product/62890.php

Total price with tax and free shipping comes to $58 and change.

The drive contains a Scorpio 400gb 5400 rpm WD4000BEVT.
Its pretty easy to pop it out of the enclosure that it comes in and swap into your PS3. Added bonus is that you can put your old PS3 HDD back in the enclosure and you have a portable 80GB (or whatever) HDD.

I went ahead and ordered one of these... I figure it's worth the upgrade and I can give my old HD to my brother.

[quote name='Grinchy']One of the main reasons I upgraded on my PS3 was because of game installs. I like having my whole collection ready to just play, instead of having to wait for an install if I feel like playing DMC4 a year later.

I started using the system for TV show collections too after I put the new HDD in though.[/QUOTE]

That's basically what I did after I upgraded my HD. It's nice to have some shows on there that you can watch whenever you want.

[quote name='ev_rock']Anybody know where I can get a cheap, low capacity external USB drive to backup my 60 GB PS3? I've only used 35 GB or so, and I'd like to put in a higher capacity drive so I can use my PS3 as a media hub - I just don't have anything for the initial backup process. Any help would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I put my old 80GB PS3 HD into a small external enclosure and now I have a cheap and very useful portable HD (since the USB connection provides the power for it). I know that doesn't help you but if you can find someone selling their old PS3 HD, it might be worth it.

[quote name='ev_rock']Anybody know where I can get a cheap, low capacity external USB drive to backup my 60 GB PS3? I've only used 35 GB or so, and I'd like to put in a higher capacity drive so I can use my PS3 as a media hub - I just don't have anything for the initial backup process. Any help would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Got an ipod or MP3 player?

Delete some of the game installs, they are separate from game saves (thankfully), and then drop it onto an MP3 player.

If the ipod is not your thing grab a creative Zen M (30gb) for about 100 or so and use that.

[quote name='Snake2715']Got an ipod or MP3 player?

Delete some of the game installs, they are separate from game saves (thankfully), and then drop it onto an MP3 player.

If the ipod is not your thing grab a creative Zen M (30gb) for about 100 or so and use that.[/quote]

You know, I have a 120 GB iPod and I didn't even think of using that - I forget that you can put it in disk mode and use it as a HDD. Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='themiz69']just ordered one! is there a way to save JUST the game saves to a usb drive of maybe a memory stick?[/QUOTE]

You can back up your entire HD but if you have a lot of game installs, demos, videos, etc. then it can take a long time.

But if you delete all the stuff you don't want to transfer over before doing the back up then, it'll only back up that stuff. And then once you swap out the HDs, it'll restore only what you backed up.

Or you can just transfer the game saves from your PS3 to a USB drive and then swap out the HDs and reformat it- your system will be like new. Then you can transfer back the game saves from you USB drive to your PS3's new HD.

bread's done
Back