PS3 40GB Backwards Compatibility Update Coming Soon?

mattstockton12

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
http://www.gamer.tm/news.php?id=2542

It seems a distinct possibility since Sony will likely be putting PS2 titles up for sale in the PSN store.

I think I'm going to sell off my PS2 phat even without confirmation. If the BC doesn't happen, I'll then have sabotaged myself in such a way that I'll have to get a slim :)

Anyone else heard any corroborating evidence for such an update?

It's been in the cards for a while. The same thing happened when they switched to the PS2 slim, the PS2 slim had pure software based BC of PS1 games.

[quote name='mattstockton12']http://www.gamer.tm/news.php?id=2542

It seems a distinct possibility since Sony will likely be putting PS2 titles up for sale in the PSN store.

I think I'm going to sell off my PS2 phat even without confirmation. If the BC doesn't happen, I'll then have sabotaged myself in such a way that I'll have to get a slim :)

Anyone else heard any corroborating evidence for such an update?[/QUOTE]Please, don't do it yet. A rumor is it will come in October. My thoughts are it will come in 2009/2010. Without a doubt, the 40GB will play PS2 games one day, once Sony gets a pure software emulator running on it.

Nice! I just traded in my ps2 and all the games for a ps3. I was sad to let go of GoWII but I just couldn't justify paying an extra $100 for BC to play one game. If/when GoWII comes out as a download, I'll be all set!

I'm surprised you did that Kenbo. With the $500 MGS4 bundle, you do get the Dualshock 3, which means if you want that controller, you're gonna have to spend a bit more to get one.

Well, like Xbox Originals, PS2 games would have to be playable with the disc version too. They'd be the same in almost every way, but they'd still be playable. Because unlike Microsoft, Sony has control of everything over the system, meaning they'll emulate the system, not the games individually.

If they still made a PS3 will full BC, I'd but it in a heartbeat. I still play a ton of PS1/2 games and I love how much nicer they look when upconverted.

I want to get a 80GB version as I'll get some BC with that. I'd love for more BC support from Sony though for 40/80GB PS3s.

On ANY PS3, you can play almost any (if not all) PS1 games. People always get this confused.

Also, for the 80gb PS3's, I don't know if there are still those controller disconnects when you start up a PS2 game or not. On my 60gb PS3, it does it every time, and it's annoying. If they got it fully software compatible, I believe it'd continue to be connected, just like PS1 games.

sony needs to get BC on the 40gb model via emulation. Selling PS2 games in the store (retail) is more of a benefit than trying to sell games via PSN. Although, I'd love to get some long lost favs via PSN.

I just filled out a survey from sony playstation underground. some of the question where about blue ray movies and if i owned other consoles. One of the questions was if backwards compatibilty was important to me. This is not a confirmation but maybe they are at least considering it enough to ask people if they want it still.

Honestly... I'd like to see 2 or 3 PS2 games, released on one Blu ray. like an action pack, Contra Shatered Solider, Contra, and [any other konami game] in one blu ray pack.

Metal Gear Solid collection 1-3 on one Blu ray...

I just feel that the more you have on the shelves, the more you can get people interested in what the system has to offer. and what's good about this is that you can just add in an emulator specified and tweaked for each game on disc.

[quote name='Thomas96']Honestly... I'd like to see 2 or 3 PS2 games, released on one Blu ray. like an action pack, Contra Shatered Solider, Contra, and [any other konami game] in one blu ray pack.

Metal Gear Solid collection 1-3 on one Blu ray...

I just feel that the more you have on the shelves, the more you can get people interested in what the system has to offer. and what's good about this is that you can just add in an emulator specified and tweaked for each game on disc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah this would be awesome if they did this.

It's impossible, unless they make a whole new 40 gig model. This is because the 40 gig doesn't have a chip, something like Emotion Chip or something like that. [Sorry can't remember]. Hence it's impossible

[quote name='Xrazor']It's impossible, unless they make a whole new 40 gig model. This is because the 40 gig doesn't have a chip, something like Emotion Chip or something like that. [Sorry can't remember]. Hence it's impossible[/quote]

They will do a 100% Software emulation. There are PS2 emulators for the PC, do they have a PS2 chipset inside of them to do it? No. They do it through software. So impossible? LOL, no. Not even close. I expect PS2 emulation so that they can just make 1 single system from that point on.

That'd be beautiful if they did.. I just picked up a 40gb and I'd hate to have a PS3 I can't play my PS2 games on.

[quote name='blitz6speed']They will do a 100% Software emulation. There are PS2 emulators for the PC, do they have a PS2 chipset inside of them to do it? No. They do it through software. So impossible? LOL, no. Not even close. I expect PS2 emulation so that they can just make 1 single system from that point on.[/QUOTE]

It seems like Sony is pushing for one system. The fact that the Metal Gear PS3 is a 40gb and not a 80gb says alot as to what sony considers their flagship console.

Seems like the xbox is trying to be more like a PS3 60gb, and the 40gb is trying to be like an 360, w/ the 2 usb ports (yuck~) I hope sony keeps the 80gb in good supply until they actually get the software emulation out.

I have a 60 gig which seems to play every ps2 game or at least I think it does. I know the 40 gig hardly plays anything,but as far as the 80 gig how many games does it play ps2 wise?

I've heard some things about 80 gig consoles making the games slower...but not everything just somethings ive seen on youtube and stuff...

bread's done
Back