Ps3 $500?

is blu ray realy gonna be a factor? I mean look at mini disks and lazer disks nobody bought into it same could hapen with blu ray.

also i dont see umd movies picking up at all infact id call umd a failure already.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']cases are fairly cheap, and an os isnt entirely necessary. That pc would be able to run most games and FPS's would be all id need to pass the time. I was simply trying to give sumone an alternative to a ps3.[/quote]
An OS isn't necessary? You're going to run games on a computer without an operating system? Ookay. That is no way a sweet gaming rig. It's hardly a gaming rig. That will be running new games on medium - low. If you would want a computer that can only play games up to right now, then I don't think you'd want a PS3 anyway. The only real thing that changes between the PS2 and PS3 is power, so if you're going to be using a weak computer to play games, then you should be fine playing your PS2 as long as there are games to play.

[quote name='Skelah']is blu ray realy gonna be a factor? I mean look at mini disks and lazer disks nobody bought into it same could hapen with blu ray.

also i dont see umd movies picking up at all infact id call umd a failure already.[/quote]
I don't think Blu-Ray will catch on, but who knows? UMD is pretty much dead. There is a post somewhere on this forum about companies that aren't releasing movies on UMD anymore.

[quote name='TC']$500 would be the max I would drop on a system. If it doesn't have a built in hard drive for that price then no friggin way. Its $500 max no neccesary add-on garbage. Also after spending that amount I would be very, very picky about the games I would buy. The games would have to be exactly what I want. Ratchet/Jak/Sony exclusives pretty much.

I don't give a rats ass about blueray or HD movies.[/QUOTE]

I agree $500 and the hard drive must be built in. I'm already thinking how expensive the console is but damn I haven't even factor in games and accessories yet. Imagine when its about to launch and Ebgames/Gamestop site makes u buy bundles only.

[quote name='Foolman']An OS isn't necessary? You're going to run games on a computer without an operating system? Ookay. That is no way a sweet gaming rig. It's hardly a gaming rig. That will be running new games on medium - low. If you would want a computer that can only play games up to right now, then I don't think you'd want a PS3 anyway. The only real thing that changes between the PS2 and PS3 is power, so if you're going to be using a weak computer to play games, then you should be fine playing your PS2 as long as there are games to play.

I don't think Blu-Ray will catch on, but who knows? UMD is pretty much dead. There is a post somewhere on this forum about companies that aren't releasing movies on UMD anymore.[/QUOTE]

you can find os's on any torrent site.... but christ no need to try to start any drama.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']you can find os's on any torrent site.... but christ no need to try to start any drama.[/quote]

You could also steal all the parts and save $500. I wasn't starting drama, I was just pointing out that you can't really compare that computer with the PS3. The PC would be multifunctioning, but you wouldn't have the nice looking graphics of the PS3(and it would even get to the point where you wouldn't even be able to play new games.) The PS3 however is a (mostly) dedicated game player and would last a console cycle(probably).

On that note. I do think $500 is a steep price. I'm not sure if I would pay it.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone who thinks PS3 is going to fail and not sell well is...well, pretty ignorant IMO. It will sell, and it will sell well.[/QUOTE]

It might sell "well," but there's no rule that says Sony has to be #1 this time around. Wouldn't shock me in the least to see 360's jumpstart and Nintendo's lower price point and nostalgia appeal put a serious hurting on the PS3.

If I have the cash, then I'll definitely buy it. The Sony name carries quite a bit of weight with the mainstream crowd. I always hear classmates talking about how awesome the PS3 is going to be and that they're willing to spend the cash on it. There are a lot of people out there like that, so I can't see the PS3 being a failure. Sony is pretty much gonna use the PS3 as a trojan horse for blu-ray, so blu-ray should be fine too. Of course, I'm not a psychic, so what the hell do I know?

[quote name='Vegan']You'd have a console with a proprietary high-capacity disc format. Good for bootleg prevention. No one could burn copies of PS3 games if there was no such thing as writable Blu-ray discs.[/quote]

Yea, till somebody has a copy of MSG4.;)

[quote name='Foolman']You could also steal all the parts and save $500. I wasn't starting drama, I was just pointing out that you can't really compare that computer with the PS3. The PC would be multifunctioning, but you wouldn't have the nice looking graphics of the PS3(and it would even get to the point where you wouldn't even be able to play new games.) The PS3 however is a (mostly) dedicated game player and would last a console cycle(probably).

On that note. I do think $500 is a steep price. I'm not sure if I would pay it.[/quote]

I am not sure, why everybody counts on 500$. If we take the talk about the europeen prices seriously, then we looking into 600-700$.
Well, 500$ is already high, but everything above is just not worth for a console. I mean we are talking about a gameconsole. Mainly for kids (and some adults haha).

$800...is my prediction...Blue Ray, Built in Wifi, 60 gig HD, etc...Blue Ray DVD players alone are being touted to cost $1000..

[quote name='yester']I am not sure, why everybody counts on 500$. If we take the talk about the europeen prices seriously, then we looking into 600-700$.
Well, 500$ is already high, but everything above is just not worth for a console. I mean we are talking about a gameconsole. Mainly for kids (and some adults haha).[/QUOTE]Sorry, but most gamers are adults.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Sorry, but most gamers are adults.[/quote]

That was a joke. I blaster next time a :bouncy:

[quote name='munch']I won't pay $150 for a PS2. No way I'd pay $500 for a PS3[/quote]

hehe.,.. i wasn't that cheap. I bought the PS2 for 149$, after my "second hand" one broke down.
300$-400$ i would understand, and it would be reasonable. As the PS2 came out, it went for 300$ if i recall.

[quote name='munch']I won't pay $150 for a PS2. No way I'd pay $500 for a PS3[/quote]

You could take it by a forced takeover.... Wait... what?

;)

But eh, pick up a used ps2 then... theres some excellent games waiting to be played

It's funny because of all the people here saying they won't by it due to price, you know half of them are going to buy it.

People paid $300 for an iPod when all it really did was play music
People paid $300 (sometime more at some stores) for the original PS2 and Xbox.

I don't really see it as that bad of a price, I'd save up some money now and get it and some games. I wouldn't buy it when it first came out though (not because of price but because when consoles first come out they tend to have some problems)

If this REALLY turns out to have the ability to play games from all region including backwards compatibilty I'll buy it, since it will play Blu-Ray, most likely shittily but it WILL play SACD for you which is a selling point to me. fuck you I'm interested in better sound. Just response to anyone who says WTF? to that.
Cheap HDTV's? Look at PC LCD monitors right now, that's your HDTV solution for now. As long as you have a satellite or cable box that uses DVI or HDMI you're set, if not just get a Component to DVI or Component to VGA adapter for your 360 and you're set.

The ps3 will not be more then 499.99 at release.

As for bluray player the first ones are suppose to be 999.99
but the first HD dvd player is 499.99

If sony is going to compete and win the battle of dvd then they are going to slash their blueray pricing.

So bluray players will no doubt be much closer to HD dvd players (500bucks)
at least the basic players will be.

Im not really a big fan of having to decide if i want HD dvd's or blue ray dvds
i think this is the stupidest thing that we have to deal with. hopefully they will release HD dvd/blue ray dvd players down the road and forget about trying to compete on the format.

I prefer blue ray just because of a more storage compared to hd dvd.

sony ps3 399-499 at release.

Cuz i said so.

bread's done
Back