PS3 80GB MGS4 Bundle Availibility Tracking

iNCREDiPiNOY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Recommended: www.wiialerts.com (online tracking route) & www.itrackr.com (in-store tracking route)

Amazon

-PlayStation 3 80 GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack - $499.99 IN STOCK!
Free Standard Shipping or Free 2-Day Shipping (Prime Member Only)

DELL

-PS3 Console 80 GB with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - $449.99 SOLD-OUT!
-PS3 Console 80 GB with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!

Barnes & Noble

-PS3 (80 Gig) Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition with Free Artbook - $84.99 SOLD-OUT!

Circuit City

-Sony 80GB PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle - $499.99 Free Shipping! IN-STOCK!
-Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 80GB+DualShock 3 Controller Bundle - $544.98 Free Shipping! IN-STOCK!

EBGame

-Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 80GB Bundle - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71558

-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition - $69.99 SOLD-OUT!
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270209

GameStop

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71558

-Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition - $69.99 SOLD-OUT!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270209

Best Buy

-Metal Gear PlayStation 3 80GB System with Free Official Prima Guide - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!

K-Mart

Costco

-Sony PlayStation® 3 80GB Metal Gear Solid Bundle - $559.99 IN-STOCK!
(with extra Dualshock 3 Controller & HDMI Cable)
-Sony PlayStation® 3 80GB Metal Gear Solid Pack - $569.99 IN-STOCK!
(with extra Dualshock 3 Controller, HDMI Cable & Blu-Ray Remote Control)

Sam's Club

-Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB Bundle - SOLD-OUT!

Target

-Metal Gear Solid 4 80GB Bundle - $499.99 SOLD OUT!

Toys R' Us

-PS3 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle - $499.99 IN-STOCK!
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3136838&siteID=AsPY6TdlnWs-q4lrC1gIHzpBO.NarvqFtw

SonyStyle

-PS3 (80 Gig) Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!

Wamart

-PlayStation 3 80GB Limited Edition Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack - $499.00 SOLD-OUT!
FREE SITE-TO-STORE PICK-UP

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864376

Fry's Electronic

-PLAYSTATION®3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack - $499.99 IN-STOCK!

NewEgg

-SONY PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle 80 GB - Retail - $499.99 SOLD-OUT!

SEARS

-Sony PLAYSTATION®3 MGS4 Bundle + 2nd DualShock 3 - $554.98 IN-STOCK!
-Sony PLAYSTATION®3 Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle - $449.99 SOLD-OUT!

eBay

-Metal+Gear+Solid

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony announced at E3 the 80GB PS3 (Without MGS4) will be $399.99.

If you can wait a little longer, you can save yourself ~$50.

80GB PS3 - $399.99
MGS4 -

[quote name='lancewong']Sony announced at E3 the 80GB PS3 (Without MGS4) will be $399.99.

If you can wait a little longer, you can save yourself ~$50.[/quote]

Seriously. Not only am I wishing I didn't splurge, but consider all the people that ran around looking for this bundle ... jeez.

Well done, Sony! Can bet I'll be renting more than buying this year.

Nope! Gamespot and a slew of other articles (do a quick search on google news) will tell you that the new 80GB will have ZERO backwards compatibility. It will basically be the 40GB with 40GB more disk space. If there was ever a time to pull the trigger on the PS3 it would of been when the 60GB still existed and..... now!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6194006.html

[quote name='lancewong']Sony announced at E3 the 80GB PS3 (Without MGS4) will be $399.99.

If you can wait a little longer, you can save yourself ~$50.

80GB PS3 - $399.99
MGS4 -

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that I saw 2 MGS4 PS3's at the 71st and Memorial Walmart in Tulsa, Ok if anyone is still looking for some.

[quote name='greggysasaki']It appears that Sony is hinting that the new 80GB will have no backwards compatibility, just like its 40GB sibling. IMO, backwards compatibility is worth more than $50.[/quote]

"Confirmed" is more like it.

And I don't think it's an opinion that BC is worth more than $50. I mean, until PS2's are less than $50, and I'm sure they will not be before this is over, this bundle is definitely worth it. No cord swappin', either.

Also, quoted from that gamspot article posted above:
"...no new Sony consoles will have backwards compatibility with PS2 and PSone games. "The strong sales of the $399 model show that isn't a critical issue, since more and more PS2 owners are upgrading to PS3,"..."

I would think the sales are strong since the customers have no choice but to buy that one for the most part, don't you think? ;)

His second point makes sense though, where he states that people who really care about playing their PS2 games should already have a PS2 anyway.

[quote name='deadlykeyboard']Do you think the price of the PS3 MGS4 bundle will rise once the new PS3 comes out?[/quote]
Sony will discontinue the bundle after some time, so a price increase is unlikely.

Oh what joy. Thanks Sony. Now because of your refusal to include BC in the new 80 GB cores I'll have to fight off the Ebay crowd itching to sell these bundles if my local BBVs ever get their three orders in. >;\

fuck!

God forbid some of us gamers would rather hook up one console than two right?

A few major retailers has them instock online right now. Sonystyle has them in stock as of this message.

Got one yesterday from the Gamestop in the Columbia, MD mall. I never owned a PS2 (though I have lived with a couple PS2 owners), so I figured this was the best time to pull the trigger since Sony didn't announce another backwards-compatible model.

Found another one at a Walmart in Fremont, CA, the one on Osgood near Fry's. This was yesterday. On Monday, there was also one in San Jose, CA at the Walmart on Story Rd.

Was looking for EOJ but saw these PS3s, no luck so far. Hope it helps someone.

Note that the gamespot article has been updated to say that the new 80 GB *will* have support for PS1 games. Still no support for PS2 games.

What they should have done is made their minds up in the first place, and not had backward compatibility to begin with. I think then people wouldn't be as annoyed by it. Oh well. Also, given that there will no longer be a model that has even software BC, I'd imagine that updates for software BC will end. They aren't going to put any effort into supporting more PS2 games (or supporting them better) if they aren't selling a console that has software BC. I.e. the one to get is the 60 or 20 GB, and not the current 80 GB, if you want BC. I guess that mean used. And, really, should they be putting a lot of effort into software BC, or should they be putting that effort into PS3 games?

Remember when Sony earmarked the 40GB as being the only PS3 system to be sold in North America, then released two limited 80GB bundles later in the year? It's possible Sony will do something similar months from now -- perhaps with a 120GB BC bundle.

They said the stripped-down 80GB would be the only model in NA, but they didn't say for how long.

Sony has to know that a certain percentage of their customer base won't buy PS3s without backward compatibility. If so, then perhaps their solution is to periodically release LE bundles that address the issue. And if they do, it's possible the product will be superior, since the 40GB runs cooler and quieter than the bundled version of the 80GB.

That said, I'm holding onto my MGS4 bundle just in case. BC, SACD playback -- those features are still important to me. I might even downgrade-hack to use 2.0 firmware for the optical out SACD option.

On topic: I spotted MGS4 bundles in NYC this morning at the Gamestop on 1st Ave (and 18th St., I believe). Virgin ran out just as CC got them in.

Bundles spotted in Northwest Arkansas:
Berryville, AR
Wal-mart
(yes, the very same walmart that gets a small amount of Wiis each week and can barely sell them before the next shipment.) It is of note that it took three weeks for all the bundles they had (read: three) to sell.

Springdale/Fayatteville/Rogers
Best Buy and Curcuit City still had a few last time I was there. Might have changed by now. Area Walmarts might have them still but it's unlikely.

Other areas of intrest:
Out of the way walmarts, which NWA has a glut of. It's possible that they still have a few, since they aren't very big (or frequently visited, for that matter). Worth checking into if in the area.

[quote name='fidgeteer']Remember when Sony earmarked the 40GB as being the only PS3 system to be sold in North America, then released two limited 80GB bundles later in the year? It's possible Sony will do something similar months from now -- perhaps with a 120GB BC bundle.

They said the stripped-down 80GB would be the only model in NA, but they didn't say for how long.

Sony has to know that a certain percentage of their customer base won't buy PS3s without backward compatibility. If so, then perhaps their solution is to periodically release LE bundles that address the issue. And if they do, it's possible the product will be superior, since the 40GB runs cooler and quieter than the bundled version of the 80GB.

That said, I'm holding onto my MGS4 bundle just in case. BC, SACD playback -- those features are still important to me. I might even downgrade-hack to use 2.0 firmware for the optical out SACD option.

On topic: I spotted MGS4 bundles in NYC this morning at the Gamestop on 1st Ave (and 18th St., I believe). Virgin ran out just as CC got them in.[/quote]

Nope, in Japan, PS3's primary market (where they concentrate their resources AND there are a LARGER MORE VAST library of games but only available in japanese) there is only the 40GB with no BC for sale (even though there are 3 colors). So to assume Sony would be bringing the machine back would be wishful. When the 60GB was sold out they never brought it back. The 80GB bundled with the MGS should be the remains of 80GB consoles that Sony has at hand.

I bought 3 80gb PS3 bundles from Walmart.com in Oakland CA, (Hegenberger) next to Oracle Arena. They were shipped to the store.

I won't be picking them up. You might want to try there. If I haven't picked it up after 7 days, they're suppose to sell them. You could try.

I think it's been a week now.

These are hard to find? Saw 3 of these in the case at the Wal-Mart in Westfield, IN (north of Indianapolis on 31) if anyone is looking for one in the Indy area.

[quote name='mox2']So to assume Sony would be bringing the machine back would be wishful. When the 60GB was sold out they never brought it back. The 80GB bundled with the MGS should be the remains of 80GB consoles that Sony has at hand.[/quote]

1. Actually, I didn't "assume" Sony would be "bringing the machine back." I argued *against* assuming BC would be absent from all future models. If you think that late concessions from Sony are impossible, then look at their last minidisc recorders: features withheld for the life of that medium were implemented at the very last moment.

2. Reserved speculation about a company's marketing strategy isn't "wishful thinking."

3. The 60GB used hardware-based emulation. That Sony would omit Emotion Engine hardware in a forward-developing machine makes sense, however annoying the decision might seem. Software compatibility, on the other hand, is easier to implement in later revisions. Have you read the Kotaku article in which Sony claimed the omission of BC had nothing to do with cost cutting?

4. One strategy of large companies seems to be to create their own alternative markets -- to create niche products in limited runs. The late lamented Qualia line was an attempt to entice boutique technology consumers. It isn't inconceivable that Sony would introduce limited-run PS3 models with BC, since changes in design are unnecessary to implement that feature.

A WARNING for those that were thinking about ordering on sonystyle.com Apparently a quick google search showed they have an non existent customer service. When I placed my order for the MGS bundle, but then wanted to cancel they said that the order was processing and can't be canceled, even when the lady told me the package was waiting to be shipped by fedex (keep in mind I made on the order in night, and called the NEXT morning as soon as their call center opened, a less than 10 hour difference)

And then I was lied to that the tracking number from the package would be different if I were to "refuse delivery" and it was sent back to them, and the package "might be lost". She told me to accept the package and create an Returns form as the safest way to return the package. An extensive fine print search on the sonystyle site says that all game and game hardware are non returnable, hence if I had accepted the delivery I would NOT be able to return the system, or be charged something in their discretion.

When I called FEDEX to confirm if what the lady was saying was true, the Customer agent told me *specifically* that the TRACKING number would be the same if it was returned to the sender, and so I was very unhappy about the BS that I was told. It was the unhonesty that scared me off and I believe that sony does really bad outsourcing to this sonystyle.com website.

I highly caution all of you Sony CC card holders from buying from sonystyle.com and take your business elsewhere, or if you have to, go to a B&M sonystyle store.

Hmm.. I'm tempted to get the MGS bundle now that the new nerfed model has been announced. They have a few at each of the Targets I went to today in Chandler/Scottsdale.

Just curious, these are 100% confirmed to be software-based backwards compatible, right?

[quote name='foundation']Just curious, these are 100% confirmed to be software-based backwards compatible, right?[/QUOTE]

I believe so. Check the PS3 forum to double check and see what titles work with the software BC. Not all PS2 titles work well.

If you're in the Pacific NW area, check your local Fred Meyer. I saw 1 bundle at mine.

If you're buying it at Fred Meyer, consider first buying a $600 gift card which will net you free $60 credit on it (ie, $660 gift card for $600), then buy the bundle. Alternatively, a $330 gift card for $300. The gift card deal is good until 7/31.

Saw two more in a glass case at my local Wal Mart (State College, PA). They only had one left when I bought mine so maybe they had more in the back or something.

Finally took the plunge and picked up a bundle off Ebay. 20% live.com cash back brought the bundle down to $465. Considering Chicago taxes, this was a pretty good deal.

[quote name='KingKhoiCorp']Available at Amazon at 1:30pm: GO GO GO![/QUOTE]

gone! That was fast. Glad I'm not waiting for Amazon. It would drive me nuts.

Best Buy in Cerritos, CA (off the Shoemaker Ave exit on the 91 FWY) had about 5 units as of 4pm today :)

bread's done
Back