PS3 80gb question

DAWG26

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
Can anyone tell me a site that has a list of PS2 games that are not compatible on the 80gb? I plan on getting the MGS PS3 bundle (as Im sure lots of you are) and I have no idea of the games that dont play.

I still have yet to find the reason that people are so pissed about the emulation in the 80 gb. It seems to me that it basically plays ps2 games as well as the 60 gb. What am I missing?

It's not perfect, but the differences are kinda overhyped for the most part. From my searching on the site, only about two titles out the sixty I owned resulted in a major problem (MGS 3 and Metal Slug Anthology).

[quote name='Kain Vincent']It's not perfect, but the differences are kinda overhyped for the most part. From my searching on the site, only about two titles out the sixty I owned resulted in a major problem (MGS 3 and Metal Slug Anthology).[/quote]

What kind of problems did you have with MGS 3?

[quote name='Kain Vincent']It's not perfect, but the differences are kinda overhyped for the most part. From my searching on the site, only about two titles out the sixty I owned resulted in a major problem (MGS 3 and Metal Slug Anthology).[/quote]

The way I see it, one good title is more than enough to fuck it all up. It would mean keeping or buying a PS2. Overhyped?

When I say overhyping, I found that many people I have encountered on that issue of BC considered it to be the worst thing yet on the PS3 market (even bigger than the 40 gig model's lack of). Yet, I noted in my original post that only two titles (out of the sixty I looked up) had significant issues, which is less than 5% of my test.

Overall, it's not a bad replacement for the 60 gig model.

It doesn't personally make or break the deal for me since I still have my ps2 unit and will keep it when I get the MGS 4 bundle in June. However, I can definitely see where you are coming from.

[quote name='Kain Vincent']When I say overhyping, I found that many people I have encountered on that issue of BC considered it to be the worst thing yet on the PS3 market (even bigger than the 40 gig model's lack of). Yet, I noted in my original post that only two titles (out of the sixty I looked up) had significant issues, which is less than 5% of my test.

Overall, it's not a bad replacement for the 60 gig model.

It doesn't personally make or break the deal for me since I still have my ps2 unit and will keep it when I get the MGS 4 bundle in June. However, I can definitely see where you are coming from.[/QUOTE]The 80GB is fine. Most all my friends who have one (and that have a lot of PS2 games), maybe 1-2 games in their total collection doesn't work. People tend to underestimate its BC because when they hear the word "software", people automatically assume the 360 BC situation. In reality, the PS3 80GB is only 50% software emulation (just the EE) but it still uses the GS chip. The BC is still around 90% (while the 20GB/60GB may be 97%), since both play the same PS1 games and most all PS2 games still work on the 80GB (except some newer games usually because they were developed for PS2 and were possibly not tested to assure they work on PS3, but the BC does get updated with firmware updates).

The 60GB/20GB are far from perfect. Some games have slowdown/sound issues (like Sonic Mega Collection+), Yakuza is very pixelated, and some games make weird sounds when clicking menus (FFX and KH do for sure). Also, there's just no way you can get a Taiko Drum or PS2 Guitar Hero games working on PS3 regardless of SKU. There will even be firmware updates causing certain games to not work (Firmware 1.81 made Wild Arms 4 no longer work, but a later firmware fixed it).

From Sony's website.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Publisher: Konami Digital EntertainmentProduct No: SLUS-20915
Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 2.00: Upon Boot-up, the title may hang. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.10.

So in fact the emulation does get better over time. If you think you had a problem in the past, relook up the title.

damn thats good to know then. i was obsessing over the whole lack of this or that and if what you say is true then theres no real diff between the systems. thanks for the post op and for the info posters i think ill go ahead and get an 80gb ps3. now im just on the fence on whether to get this bundle with a dual shock 3 included or just get the system now and buy a controller later. has anyone here tried a dual shock 3 and if so how does it feel and play?

Out of 23 PS2/7 PSX games...

Minor - 5
Major - 3 (One of them was for Driver, which doesn't matter to me)
N/A - 1 (Persona 3 wouldn't show up on the list)

I'm fine with the minor ones (audio glitches and visual glitches mostly) but two major glitches is more than enough to piss me off and I keep hearing they're pretty much done updating the software.

bread's done
Back