PS3 Adding Amazon Instant Video Streaming Today!

I'd like to use this, but I only have Prime through Amazon Mom. Which appearently is a lower standard of Prime that doesnt include all the free streaming videos.

[quote name='eldergamer']I'd like to use this, but I only have Prime through Amazon Mom. Which appearently is a lower standard of Prime that doesnt include all the free streaming videos.[/QUOTE]

Probably because A.M. is free.

[quote name='GBAstar']Cool... good news. Is their an Amazon Instant Video app for 360 or just PS3?[/QUOTE]

Only PS3...I would be happy if they both had it though. It really came out of left field...no fan fare or announcement of it coming. They just said guess what...today you have an app for it. Very happy but it was a weird way to bring it to market for Sony.

I may upgrade my FREE Student to a real subscription now....nice update. Not even a student anymore, but I had my old .edu account.

This is great, I am probably going to cancel my free trial of NetFlix when it runs out next week and even though not everything is free with Prime, I'll take it for free over paying $8 a month for NetFlix.

Already cancelled Netflix. I was on the verge ever since I upgraded to a paid Prime Student account. I couldn't care less if 360 got the app as well at this point for the simple fact that they'll probably require Gold for it.

[quote name='doubledown']I may upgrade my FREE Student to a real subscription now....nice update. Not even a student anymore, but I had my old .edu account.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a discounted student version of it no?
Like 50% off and you do get access to the streaming.

So I'm a Prime member through the family membership (my fiancé's sister paid for it and invited me two years ago). I was a Student member but that has since lapsed (and has now reverted to the Family membership). I, however, am unable to stream anything other than what I already own (Walking Dead S1).

It's my understanding that if she had a free membership, I wouldn't be able to use it since the free ones don't allow sharing. This is weird.

Is the movie selection better than Netflix? I've had Netflix for 2 months now and it's pretty lacking in terms of decent stuff to watch. If this has more to choose from, I'll probably renew my prime and cancel Netflix.

[quote name='blindinglights']Is the movie selection better than Netflix? I've had Netflix for 2 months now and it's pretty lacking in terms of decent stuff to watch. If this has more to choose from, I'll probably renew my prime and cancel Netflix.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there's a full list of Prime's streaming offerings floating around on the 'net somewhere, but just in case you don't have the time to search:

Netflix >>>> Amazon Prime streaming.

Prime is slowly adding more stuff but it's still nowhere near the huge Netflix catalog.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I'm sure there's a full list of Prime's streaming offerings floating around on the 'net somewhere, but just in case you don't have the time to search:

Netflix >>>> Amazon Prime streaming.

Prime is slowly adding more stuff but it's still nowhere near the huge Netflix catalog.[/QUOTE]

prime does have a few things netflix doesnt but yeah overall netflix is better just depends on what you want from your streaming service. hulu isnt too bad either especially in the anime dept which i noticed netflix recently lost some of naruto.

Huh, if only I wasn't concerned about straining my older system outside of playing games I might use it. For now, I'll keep using the drag n' drop window from my PC.

This is FANTASTIC news. I am very excited about this and will get a prime membership today. fucking great day for ps3 users, guys.

edit..just screwed around with it and this UI is so much better than netflix.

This is good if you just want to rent something. There is usually a instant video credit pop-up like the mp3 credit pop-ups last week.

Figures... I let my Amazon Prime lapse last week mostly because I didn't have anything to watch the Instant Video on other than my PC.

[quote name='Wolfkin']not interested till i hear it works in Canada[/QUOTE]
I'm wondering how jamrock got stuck in Canada, lol. I know it's probably a champagne flight back down but it's just odd. /offtopic

Dang I got this yesterday and loved it. Now it's broke. Anyone else having trouble getting any videos to load? I was watching stuff earlier today now nothing wants to load, it just sits there with the loading icon for a few second and kicks you back to the previous screen you were on.

Does anyone know if your shared prime members under the family share program have access to prime videos? I thought somewhere that I saw it was only the main account but I can't seem to find the info now.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Does anyone know if your shared prime members under the family share program have access to prime videos? I thought somewhere that I saw it was only the main account but I can't seem to find the info now.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure you can even register more than one PS3 TBH. Once I input mine, the only option I saw was to unregister it. Not sure if it's tied to the PSN account or the physical machine. Would be really stupid if it's the latter since I've been thinking about getting a second PS3 for the living room.

[quote name='Jodou']I'm not so sure you can even register more than one PS3 TBH. Once I input mine, the only option I saw was to unregister it. Not sure if it's tied to the PSN account or the physical machine. Would be really stupid if it's the latter since I've been thinking about getting a second PS3 for the living room.[/QUOTE]

1. Shared accounts do not have access to the Prime VOD service, only the master account.

2. You can register more than one PS3 with Prime VOD. I can't speak to simultaneous streaming though.

Got me to upgrade to my own Prime account. Between that and being able to get 1 free book a month on Kindle with a primary (rather than shared) membership, it's well worth the $80 a year. Especially since I order things a few times a month as well.

Before I wouldn't have used the video enough since I don't have an easy way to hook my laptop up to the TV as my TV lacks an RGB input and my laptop doesn't have any other type of video out.

I know I said this was great and all but watching some stuff over the weekend it's not all that. I have netflix and to compare the two is a joke. Netflix wins hands down cuz amazon hardly has anything. The only thing that was interesting to me was "I shouldn't be alive"(Love it). Netflix has everything amazon does and the stuff amazon has is pretty bad (VERY OLD movies). If I were to guess, I'd say amazon has about 100 shows and movies to stream instantly but they make it seem like it is more cuz they have seasons all seperated and cluttered. I wanted prime mainly for the streaming (also for no minimum free shipping) but it's clear that I've wasted my money. Hope they will refund me most of my money as I can spend 25 for free shipping anytime. I'm sure they will have a broader selection but I gather that they would need at least 1-2 years.

There are a couple things my son watches on it that is on Amazon but not Netflix like Little Bear and I got to check out the first 4 or so episodes of Unsupervised. Netflix wins hands down but then again you pay ~100 a year for it so it should.

I think it's a pretty decent selection. Probably not enough that I'd sign up for Prime solely for it, but still decent if you're into older movies/shows, documentaries etc. Not on par with Netflix, but it's also not a pure movie subscription.

It's worth it for me since I order from Amazon almost weekly and like the fast shipping and not having to pass on deals for cheap items due to not wanting to pay shipping or buy more other crap I don't need/want to get up to $25 total.

And having a Kindle, I can read a book a month through the lending library for free with Prime. And I see several titles I want to read in there, so that saves some money vs. having to buy the ebooks and helps defray the cost some.

So I'm very pleased it's on PS3 now as it's nice to have some streaming options again since I canceled Netflix streaming when they started charging extra for it. I'm lucky to watch more than a handful of things on streaming a month, so it's not worth a pure subscription for me (I mainly watch my disc rentals and things I own, or things on TV currently like sports). But it's a nice option to have when bundled with the other features (fast shipping, kindle books) that are more useful to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a season of "I shouldn't be alive" on Amazon which isn't available on Netflix streaming. I'm a survival story freak and can't get enough of them.

[quote name='Mad39er']I'm wondering how jamrock got stuck in Canada, lol. I know it's probably a champagne flight back down but it's just odd. /offtopic[/QUOTE]long story that should be in my blogs somewhere.

bread's done
Back