PS3 Audio

Jubbly

CAG Veteran
Well, I was stupid and sold my only monitor that had speakers in it and now I can only play my ps3 w/out sounds.

I was wondering if someone could tell me about that optical audio thing on the back of the ps3. I don't want to buy another TV/monitor so if I can plug some speakers in that audio on the ps3 can someone recommend me something cheap around 50 dollars? Or a headset that I can use on my computer and ps3 would be great too for around 50 dollars as well.

Thanks for your help.

How are you currently connecting your PS3 to your display? If you're using HDMI, you could use the other cables with some connectors to connect PC speakers.

[quote name='YodaEXE']How are you currently connecting your PS3 to your display? If you're using HDMI, you could use the other cables with some connectors to connect PC speakers.[/QUOTE]

I'm currently using the HDMI cord on a 22" gateway monitor, it doesn't have any of those yellow/red/white holes if that's what your saying.

[quote name='Jubbly']I'm currently using the HDMI cord on a 22" gateway monitor, it doesn't have any of those yellow/red/white holes if that's what your saying.[/QUOTE]
Right, so what you can do is take the composite cable that came with the system and plug that in as well. Then, go to Walmart or something and get the adapters needed that'll let you connect the red/white from that to computer speakers. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

I sometimes take the RCA audio out (you have to specify this in the PS3 audio settings, otherwise it defaults to HDMI audio), and input it to my computer's Line In (using the above-mentioned female-to-male y-adapter). That way, I can listen to podcasts or talk on skype while I play my PS3.

[quote name='Jubbly']I'm currently using the HDMI cord on a 22" gateway monitor, it doesn't have any of those yellow/red/white holes if that's what your saying.[/QUOTE]Post the model # of the monitor and that would help us see what it has for ports.

Also, what do you have for speaker options on-hand at home? If you have something that can take RCA L/R inputs, you're golden, otherwise, you'd need the RCA L/R to 3.5mm adapter that was posted earlier in the thread.

There's no speakers or any type of audio input on that monitor, so there's nothing that's going to happen with it for sound output.

I don't know what you're going to connect the audio to, though you'd need something that accepts either RCA L/R inputs or a 3.5mm input. If you could find speakers or headphones that take an optical input, you could run the audio from the PS3 over an optical cable to the headphones or speakers.

The adapter you purchased would allow you to connect the RCA L/R cables to the line in port on your computer's sound card, and then the sound would come out from your computer speakers.

It would be easiest to find speakers that take RCA inputs, 3.5mm inputs or an optical input.

A boombox or bookshelf stereo with some type of line-in or aux in is probably the only option you have right now for audio. That, or get a an actual audio system.

I think some computer speaker system might work too.

bread's done
Back